• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amir0x said:
Oh, it's massive. Easily over 60 bans related to this PSN hacking fiasco. GAF is unhinged for this situation :p

Just imagining a GAF PSN War Memorial....

angelfly said:
The more threats they get the more testing they've going to do. Their E3 conference is right around the corner and at this point I'm kind of worried that it won't even be up by then.

Might be thinking all wrong on this, but if Sony didn't have PSN up by E3, and were unable to announce that it's back at E3, I'd almost say Sony should skip a press conference. I'd say skip attending all together, but it's probably too late to abandon the booth. This whole thing would overshadow their entire lineup. I think if this were to happen, they'd just be better off holding their own event after E3 when it's up.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
Kagari said:
People need to stop giving Anonymous attention.

Understood, my post is the last of Anonymous from me.

I do enjoy reading how people are coping in light of the outage. This thread has been a haven that sort of fills the void of PSN.

Greg

DailyVacation said:
I do enjoy reading how people are coping in light of the outage. This thread has been a haven that sort of fills the void of PSN.
The most exciting thing I've done involving my PS3 in the past 15 days is vacuuming its vents.

Sblargh

Banned
I think people give too much credit to the hacking world in general. After PSN come back, it probably will be on of the most unhackable thing on the planet, probably more than a bunch of governments.
If anyone manages to hack a multi-billion dollar corporation who just decided to invest a large amount of money in making security a top priority, then I don't know, again, monkeys with atomic bomb. If "nothing is secure", which stops this same people from getting into banks, stores, etc?
This is not even about Sony at this point, it is about large money and skilled professionals vs people on their basements. If people in their basements win, then the world will get that much more miserable.

Edit: hoping I'm not coming out as alarmist or paranoid, just trying to get a sense of what the "no system is secure" catchprase really means.

kassatsu

Banned
My joke tweet is looking more like a possibility as the days go by...

PSN Store will be back Sony Press Conference day, montage of all missed content during the presser.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Greg said:
The most exciting thing I've done involving my PS3 in the past 15 days is vacuuming its vents.

Biter.

Finally got my last few cars in GT5 and finished completing upgrades on my entire stable. Vroom vroom.

LiK

Gotta say that having a new PC rig has been helpful since I've been playing nothing but The Witcher over the weekend. This outage has been pretty long....

Greg

Beatbox said:
Biter.

Finally got my last few cars in GT5 and finished completing upgrades on my entire stable. Vroom vroom.
At least it's relatively quiet now compared to sounding like a hair dryer.

And that's insane getting all of the cars.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I just wasted the past 3 hours playing Spyro just to find out I was unable to save my progress because I did make a memory card. Screw SP

Dreamgazer said:
warning: Still unrelated to thread.

Not sure where to update this so...here's the update to that recent event.
We regret to inform you today that our network has been compromised by a former IRC-operator and fellow helper named "Ryan". He decided that he didn't like the leaderless command structure that AnonOps Network Admins use. So he organised a coup d'etat, with his "friends" at skidsr.us . Using the networks service bot "Zalgo" he scavenged the IP's and passwords of all the network servers (including the hub) and then systematically aimed denial of service attacks at them (which is why the network has been unstable for the past week). Unfortunately he has control of the domain names AnonOps.ru (and possibly AnonOps.net, we don't know at this stage) so we are unable to continue using them. We however still have control over AnonOps.in, and will continue to publish news there.
LOL Anon hacked themselves to shit. What a bunch of babies. Though I don't see this being related to the PSN fiasco, I could be wrong.

RustyNails said:
Though I don't see this being related to the PSN fiasco, I could be wrong.

No you're right.
It's totally unrelated (I did put a warning)
I'll probably get banned soon.

Just felt like updating Kaysee in case other rumors start spreading.

Is it just me, or does this whole thing make anyone else more hesitant to buying Sony products in the future?

PS4 will need to be aces to interest me at this point.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Jokes and Riddles said:
Is it just me, or does this whole thing make anyone else more hesitant to buying Sony products in the future?

You and a few others, but no, not really

Jokes and Riddles said:

boycott against all Sony products is a little bit far.

Although I totally don't mind that if that if it means driving down the price of Sony MDR R-10s to an affordable level for me <3 <3 <3

fuck sony and your expensive price tags! <- something I can stand behind

okenny

Banned
Jokes and Riddles said:

It will make a few hesitate buying hardware but I believe that will be a tiny number of people as time wears down the news. I think the real damage will come with people hesitating to buy content directly over Sony networks.

They really didn't say anything about PSN when talking about NGP's online and maybe it's for the best. Maybe hey need a re-branding of PSN.

Jokes and Riddles said:

Nope, not really. Still hyped as ever for the NGP.

Staticks

Banned
Jokes and Riddles said:

The fact that Sony is taking so long to fix their shit and rarely giving (accurate) updates to their customers about the situation is making me sick more than any actual fear or paranoia of Sony products being "non-secure."

I keep an eye on my debit card transactions, and changed a few passwords here and there, and that was the end any fear of identity fraud on my part.

Greg said:

Hah, I just did that too! But seriously I'm enjoying getting some of my single-player back log done. Finally took the plastic wrap off Valkyria Chronicles…long overdue considering I bought it almost a year ago!

Yagharek

This whole debacle is a stark reminder of just how pervasive and important online functionality has become in console gaming, and really only in the last 5 years. Amazing to think how some people have demonstrated a complete inability to cope with the loss of online multiplayer. Really shows how in many cases, single player mode is almost superfluous for a lot of people.

At least people are finally playing Valkyria Chronicles though. Thats a silver lining.

Jokes and Riddles said:
Is it just me, or does this whole thing make anyone else more hesitant to buying consoles in the future?
edited it to fit how i feel

no more than ylod and other bullshit has jaded me out of getting next gen consoles
at launch

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
RandomVince said:
This whole debacle is a stark reminder of just how pervasive and important online functionality has become in console gaming, and really only in the last 5 years. Amazing to think how some people have demonstrated a complete inability to cope with the loss of online multiplayer. Really shows how in many cases, single player mode is almost superfluous for a lot of people.

At least people are finally playing Valkyria Chronicles though. Thats a silver lining.
I know! I've enjoyed my time with single player games during this down time, but I really do miss playing some online games with my PSN friends. It's funny...I'd play single player games when PSN was working, but not as much as I am now. I don't mind that one bit, but it just feels like an incomplete experience not being able to sign into the network and see what your friends are doing/messaging them. I've had two power outages in my city where I haven't had electricity for over 24 hours (both of the times) and it was horrible. It got me to think how much we depend on electricity. The worst part was that the power outage happened two days before PSN went down, so the next day I got power back, PSN went down. Hahaha.

Sblargh

Banned
IonicSnake said:

Ohh, this, yes, humm, when NGP becomes more real, I'll probably enter in sheep mode and forget all about these dark times.

Facism

Not really been bothered my the PSN outage. Am missing the chatter in the GAF chat rooms, though. I have patience and possibly a little faith :)

My biggest problem is this cunting ear infection. Seeing the doctor today, but god do I pray for a bullet in the head to put me out of my misery :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
IonicSnake said:

I dread about NGP, trophies gotten while on the move, my life literally will be over

I can already see my bathroom time bloat up, due to pooping + earning trophies

Watch you hear a story of a dude dying taking a shit while playing NGP, and the pressure to release from the bottom + pressure of completing a trophy requirement = popped blood vessel = Dead GraveRobberX

alstein

Jokes and Riddles said:

If I buy a console next-gen (unlikely , but you never know), Sony's online will have to be free for me to consider it. If they're going to charge, I'd rather go with the online that works. (though if that happens I'll probably just quit console gaming instead)

Part of me wonders what would have happened if this had hit XBL or Steam? I do think Microsoft would have gotten the servers up much faster though.

Audioboxer

Solstice said:
Jesus, so many bans. Reminds me of that BMW thread with all the women driver comments.

That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I have a feeling things may be back up tomorrow/wednesday. I hope Lara Croft is in the 5 PSN games to choose from, wanted to buy that in the sale, but I assume I've since long missed my chance since the network went down before I bought (sale was still on then).

[Nintex]

RustyNails said:
LOL Anon hacked themselves to shit. What a bunch of babies. Though I don't see this being related to the PSN fiasco, I could be wrong.
Anon is somewhat splitting up, Lulzsec scares me the most. Those guys are quite high on the insane bar and doing it for the lulz. Come 2012 they'll probably hack some Nuclear plants 'for the lulz' and doom us all (lulz).

darkpower

Banned
Well, I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" unlike some of the PSN users. I've tried to distance myself from the crazies that are linking them to al Quedia and asking for physical harm to be done to them. Anon WAS responsible for causing hell to the WBC and Scientology (and I'd pay good money to see Fred Phelps get his), so they have THAT working on their side.

Thing is, for all we know, this could be just some random person who found something that Sony didn't keep secure and decided to attack it after he hacked into some Battle.net accounts.

Anon does raise some good points. We don't know all the facts. All we know is what two parties that were involved had said. And the "guilty by name" game isn't very viable, either, because it makes it look as though they are trying to link them to something because they don't like them for something other than the hack situation. In other words, it doesn't quell any reasonable doubt.

What worries me the most, though, is the part about the erroneous repair bills. What's that all about, and why are we just hearing about that now?

Hanmik

[Nintex] said:
Anon is somewhat splitting up, Lulzsec scares me the most. Those guys are quite high on the insane bar and doing it for the lulz. Come 2012 they'll probably hack some Nuclear plants 'for the lulz' and doom us all (lulz).

they are just putting on a show to divert the attention away from the PSN shit they have pulled.. it looks more and more likely that Anon is involved in one way or another..

the downtime from PSN coupled with me not being able to play with my any PSN-profile, made me start a second playthrough of Uncharted 2.. and damn what a great thing to happen to me.. even though I have completed the game once some time ago, I am loving this game like I never have played it before.. damn this is a great game. I really feel sorry for the guys that are so fed up with PSN being down, that they are selling their PS3´s.. they will miss out on one of the greatest games in existence..

darkpower said:
What worries me the most, though, is the part about the erroneous repair bills. What's that all about, and why are we just hearing about that now?

Don't know. The source cited only link us to a google page with sony related product complaints.

You're welcome to do some research/pull those erroneous repair complaints up if you find them. Otherwise I just think it's a bait and switch technique to get people raging for no good reason (that or just bad bad citation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom