• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSOne = ultimate CD player?

Before I started my listening tests, Michael had a warning for me: "Plug in the units — turn ‘em on — and don’t turn them off." It seems the PlayStations sound best when left on all the time. Michael was right. You shouldn’t even listen for the first three days. Both units need every second of the break-in period.

What? :lol

Piscopink

I used to LOVE it as a CD player! I had it hooked up to my Carver receiver and my Bose 601's (back in the day). It sounded great! People thought I was on crack.

Piscopink said:
I used to LOVE it as a CD player! I had it hooked up to my Carver receiver and my Bose 601's (back in the day). It sounded great! People thought I was on crack.
118klro.jpg

Those people were right.

Jasoco

Banned
Reilly said:
CD quality is far superior to MP3. Anyone who cares about sound quality knows that.
If they REALLY care about sound quality, they wouldn't be using CD's either. They'd be using records.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Jasoco said:
If they REALLY care about sound quality, they wouldn't be using CD's either. They'd be using records.
Yeah, good thing I can go to the local record shop and find any album I want in vinyl, and just pop it in the vinyl player in my car.

Baryn

Banned
Reilly said:
CD quality is far superior to MP3. Anyone who cares about sound quality knows that.
Above a 192kbps bitrate, it's very difficult to tell the difference without headphones.

Reilly

Baryn said:
Above a 192kbps bitrate, it's very difficult to tell the difference without headphones.

Yeah, that's why I said "if you care about quality"

15 year old girls won't care that the latest britney spears song on their ipod will sound better with Sennheisser HD 580 headphones.

Takuan

Does this only work for the original PS1 systems? That's actually really neat, although I don't really listen to CDs much anymore.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
The PlayStation might be a great CD player, but these audiophiles are completely ridiculous. Leave it on for three days before listening to music? Recase the power supply to reduce stray signals?

I was once linked to a site selling wood receiver knobs for hundreds of dollars a piece because they reduce vibrations--seriously, audiophiles are awful people.

Rayne.S

Banned
Baryn said:

No its not. You don't know what your talking about, MP3 and CD Quality recordings are MILES appart in quality and stereo definition.

cedric69

Rayne.S said:
No its not. You don't know what your talking about, MP3 and CD Quality recordings are MILES appart in quality and stereo definition.
Unfortunately, from the way you answer, it's pretty clear it's you who doesn't know what he's talking about.

MP3s encoded at decent variable bit rates are very, very hard to tell apart from the original Redbook Audio. Any ABX test could show you this. But remaining entrenched in one's belief it's always easier and more comfortable. Sleep on... :lol

Or visit Hydrogenaudio.

Lain

cedric69 said:
Unfortunately, from the way you answer, it's pretty clear it's you who doesn't know what he's talking about.

MP3s encoded at decent variable bit rates are very, very hard to tell apart from the original Redbook Audio. Any ABX test could show you this. But remaining entrenched in one's belief it's always easier and more comfortable. Sleep on... :lol

Or visit Hydrogenaudio.

ABXing or going to hydrogenaudio would only confirm that it's based on the individual if he can spot the difference between lossy and lossless, some can and some can't, so simply saying that it's hard is wrong. For some people it's hard to even spot differences over 128kbps.

Raistlin

Jasoco said:

The problem is that to get maximum quality out of records, the component cost is much higher than with CD.

It's a bit of a diminishing returns sort of thing.

Top Bottom