• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

LCfiner

xfactor said:
touch screen capability, the 2 cameras, 2 screens and the mic.

the only justification the DSi needs for its price is that the DS is selling extremely well.

it doesn't really matter how little it costs to make it.

that said, I still think the PSP Go will be over 200 bucks due to retailers demanding higher margins over the PSP 3000 due to potential lost software sales.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Intentional or not, Sony has commanded our weekend with the PSP go news. Look at this thread with 3k+ posts, over 250k views. And Kotaku has tons of views on all the articles on this, and comments, and IGN has hundreds of comments, and the banned site has hundreds of comments on multiple stories.

PSP go would have gotten attention and been big on E3, but having 2 or 3 days to itself while news is slow is great for them. And announcing MGS for PSP has put a serious blow in the Kojima timer, since we know at least one of the games is for the PSP, and that in association has deflated the MGS 360 rumor a bit, since now there's only one possible game that could be on the 360, rather than one of two possible games.

If not intentional, it was really helpful, and if it was, it was an ACE move.

LCfiner said:
I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting a touch screen to be revealed at E3, when it wasn't mentioned in the Qore episode.

sure, the button could be used to bring up the XMB, but then there's the shoulder buttons for navigating (poorly).

I don't think there will be a touch screen. Those are just the two, and only two, reasons I think it was leaked intentionally. I have about a dozen or so reasons why I think otherwise.

LCfiner

Linkzg said:
I don't think there will be a touch screen. Those are just the two, and only two, reasons I think it was leaked intentionally. I have about a dozen or so reasons why I think otherwise.

fair 'nuff.

DMeisterJ said:
Intentional or not, Sony has commanded our weekend with the PSP go news. Look at this thread with 3k+ posts, over 250k views. And Kotaku has tons of views on all the articles on this, and comments, and IGN has hundreds of comments, and the banned site has hundreds of comments on multiple stories.

PSP go would have gotten attention and been big on E3, but having 2 or 3 days to itself while news is slow is great for them. And announcing MGS for PSP has put a serious blow in the Kojima timer, since we know at least one of the games is for the PSP, and that in association has deflated the MGS 360 rumor a bit, since now there's only one possible game that could be on the 360, rather than one of two possible games.

Its not intentional man. It cant be. 'Sony Marketing' and 'good' havent often been used in the same sentence this generation.

Its the million monkeys writing on a million typewriters syndrome. Something had to go right eventually... this time is it. I fully expect them to go back to their incompetent ways soon. :lol

bestami

Looks hot. I will seriously consider once i heard more about price and DD stuff. I think one of the most important thing about psp for sony is the security issues right now. Since they finally managed to make a model that is not able to run cfw i don't think they will risk piracy by allowing people to play ripped umd games. I think a transfer system that requires a ps3 is possible tho (just like transferring locked saved games via system backup thingy).

gantz85

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

To be fair they've commanded our attention since the TRICO megaton up until now.. :lol

Perhaps Microsoft's gigaton tomorrow has gotten them scared... :D

We'll see, E3 will be over in 96 hours, so much to hear about!

DMeisterJ

Banned
gantz85 said:
To be fair they've commanded our attention since the TRICO megaton up until now.. :lol

Perhaps Microsoft's gigaton tomorrow has gotten them scared... :D

We'll see, E3 will be over in 96 hours, so much to hear about!

Yeah. MS' will be nice to see.

This is also eerily reminiscent of last year, when MS were the ones that had alot of the conference 'leaked' (avatars, Lips, etc), and they still had 'won' E3 with the FFXIII announcement. This year, it's the opposite with Sony stuff getting 'leaked', and let's hope they still 'win' the conference with another announcement that breaks every gaming site alive.

/conspiracy theorist.

scitek

thaOwner said:

.....and that is why you have an option to pick up a PSP-3000 which is going to have a price reduction at E3.

Don't be so condescending, there's nothing unreasonable about my post that deserved that kind of reponse. I already own a PSP-3000, so I'm speaking as a new PSP owner concerned about its future.

The lack of a UMD drive isn't something that should just be glossed over. If it were the successor to the PSP, sure, I'd cut it some slack, but the fact remains that in order for this thing to be successful, UMDs will have to be either cut off completely, or this thing is only going to get specifically designed games that will never be meant for huge, UMD-like sizes. If they are going to regularly release games that are bigger than 1GB, then I'll be pissed because I only have a 4GB memory card, and it's already filled with music and movies. I shouldn't have to spend more money just to be able to BUY more games. That's stupid.

LCfiner

iamcool388 said:
Its not intentional man. It cant be. 'Sony Marketing' and 'good' havent often been used in the same sentence this generation.

Its the million monkeys writing on a million typewriters syndrome. Something had to go right eventually... this time is it. I fully expect them to go back to their incompetent ways soon. :lol

True, very true.

I believe the last time Sony marketing tried to be "sly" and "viral" we got this

All I want for Xmas is a PSP.

The prosecution rests

thaOwner

scitek said:
Don't be so condescending, there's nothing unreasonable about my post that deserved that kind of reponse. I already own a PSP-3000, so I'm speaking as a new PSP owner concerned about its future.

The lack of a UMD drive isn't something that should just be glossed over. If it were the successor to the PSP, sure, I'd cut it some slack, but the fact remains that in order for this thing to be successful, UMDs will have to be either cut off completely, or this thing is only going to get specifically designed games that will never be meant for huge, UMD-like sizes. If they are going to regularly release games that are bigger than 1GB, then I'll be pissed because I only have a 4GB memory card, and it's already filled with music and movies. I shouldn't have to spend more money just to be able to BUY more games. That's stupid.
Did not mean to come of as condescending. The current details of this redesigned PSP is shrouded in mist right now however I doubt, (and I won't act like I know what plans Sony have for this thing) they will release a game that is over 3 gigs for this thing despite all that space. Don't you think we should wait for official details before go bat-shit insane ?.

AppleBlade

I feel like such a trophy whore but I think whether the PSP starts supporting trophies will be a major deciding factor for me. (they have to link to your PSN account not to the PSP). If it doesn't I think I might just stick with my iPhone as my portable gaming device.

scitek

thaOwner said:
It's alright, I don't really care.

Yeah, I'm eager to see what they're doing with this thing, but I think it's just meant to be another option on the shelves similar to the GB Micro. I really can't see them stopping game production on the UMD format until the PSP 2, so my guess is the downloadable games are going to primarily be smaller, on-the-go style ones, and the bigger titles will still be released on UMD in addition to being downloadable. If a PSPGo!-only future is a goal of Sony's, I think they'd be better off just conceding the portable market and exiting stage left.

DMeisterJ

Banned
LCfiner said:
True, very true.

I believe the last time Sony marketing tried to be "sly" and "viral" we got this

All I want for Xmas is a PSP.

The prosecution rests

We the jury find the defendant, Sony, guilty of have information not intentionally leaked, on the basis of a horrid viral marketing campaign.

But really, what that shows is that Sony is not beyond lying about something to generate buzz.

gantz85

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
We the jury find the defendant, Sony, guilty of have information not intentionally leaked, on the basis of a horrid viral marketing campaign.

But really, what that shows is that Sony is not beyond lying about something to generate buzz.

Intentional or unintentional though, that isn't the most pressing problem here.

The issue now is that Sony executives MUST somehow turn this into an OPPORTUNITY and not a deflatory event (God I sound like a self-help guru). They basically need to use this as a platform for them to push the PSP harder; if they approach the situation as one needing containment and pretend that nothing happened during their presentation (or sheeply admit to the leak) then they won't be taking advantage of the situation.

By now most of the gaming hardcore have seen the PSP GO! and some initially disappointed with the design have begun to turn around. If they'd debuted it during E3 the current "mindshare" or talk-of-the-moment might be about how UGLY that thing looked, simply because negative noise gets that much more attention. They need to showcase the strengths of the baby, which definitely is its portability and champion other things we don't know about, like possibly its longer battery life, added functionalities and etc. Touchscreen would be a mini megaton of sorts (but will not happen).

Our posts whether this was or was not an intentional leak is just a way of trying to judge whether this is a marketing move by Sony or whether it's a fuckup by them. Because of the press and how SCE has been portrayed in the past few years, the latter perception reigns. But that doesn't matter because it's all consumer noise for now, AND all of these very consumers will be the one who're going to watch Sony's E3 conference. Sony gets a big chance to make a big impression and they can't afford to fuck up.

LCfiner

good post, gantz.

Sony needs to debut the psp go on the stage as the next coming of Christ, regardless of the info available beforehand.

Tretton has played up the affable, aw-shucks image his last couple shows but I think he needs to show more confidence and verve this time around.

Crisis

Banned
LCfiner said:
good post, gantz.

Sony needs to debut the psp go on the stage as the next coming of Christ, regardless of the info available beforehand.

Tretton has played up the affable, aw-shucks image his last couple shows but I think he needs to show more confidence and verve this time around.

And he should. No matter what Microsoft and Nintendo show SCE has a very strong lineup for E3 and a huge number of titles exclusive to their systems.

mshdtg.jpg

I got rid of the crome around the face buttons, changed the start and select buttons and moved the speakers.

LCfiner

ionicbluebird said:
Just asthetics... I also used the microphone hole as a Reference for the speakers

If you really want to fix the aesthetics of the device fix the cheapass looking bezel around the screen. :) it just looks too wide and too creaky.

removing the PSP logo and centering the screen might also help.

edit: I do like the removal of the chrome rings around the buttons. maybe they were just too wide before and could remain if they were thinner?

LCfiner said:
If you really want to fix the aesthetics of the device fix the cheapass looking bezel around the screen. :) it just looks too wide and too creaky.

removing the PSP logo and centering the screen might also help.

Y'know what I thought would be cool? If the screen could slide in and out... like the plastic in front of the lcd, then there would be no need for screen protectors as it would be simple to replace.

deadatom

Banned
they have been "leaking" this stuff since the beginning of the year... This is sony marking its territory on the proprietary network media markets. The iphone has paved the way and microsoft(with its zune hd) and nintendo with the dsi are also trying to get a piece of the pie.

This discussion has been rehashed a million times over with hysterical consumers crazely wondering how they will play games that work fine on thier current psp. I mean, ya just HAVE to buy it in order to complain right? Some don't even have a psp and yet they have found a way to moan about not being able to play an almost obsolete format. You can try this if you just need to get it: Use old games on old psp, buy new games on new psp.

Also the extra nub argument is dumb moaning imo. The only genre that fails without a nub are fps or tps. With a screen that tiny it would make that sorta genre fail anyways. How is headshotting 4 pixels equal to casual demographics in any way?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
will dd games like dissidia costs less than their umd/retail counterparts ? i would hope so...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cat in the Hat said:
I'm guessing the buttons on the top navigate while its closed
You would need something to navigate up and down, to select, and to go back, not just left and right, even when it's closed. I don't think there will be any navigation while its closed. They may let you play games like LocoRoco, that don't need buttons other than L/R triggers, when cosed.

I'd want to get one but might have to wait...this would be my wife's PSP (she's been thinking about wanting one for her own for a while) but she wants it in pink :lol We were thinking of getting a pink import 2000 system but figured we can wait, even more with this Go system.

Sony release it in various colors at launch!

deadatom said:
Also the extra nub argument is dumb moaning imo. The only genre that fails without a nub are fps or tps. With a screen that tiny it would make that sorta genre fail anyways. How is headshotting 4 pixels equal to casual demographics in any way?

Personally I desire it for more control options. As it stands with emulation and such, either the left analog or the left d pad is used for R/L2s, but if there was a second nub, it would be like the C-stick and therefore much easier for me to use.

gantz85

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
will dd games like dissidia costs less than their umd/retail counterparts ? i would hope so...

I think Patapon 2 was sold for 2 dollars cheaper on the PSN network, compared to if you bought it at retail stores. That was presumably the retail margin.

billy.sea

Banned
I thought touch screen are dirt cheap to implement nowadays.
Even all the new Sony digital camera released the last two years has a touch screen for netvigating menu.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
That question's already been stomped on. Patapon 2's release was 20 bucks for download code and straight-from-online download.

Patapon would been 20 even if it had been released on an umd. im more talking about regular psp releases like mgs, final fantasy whichs cost 35-40 bucks @retail...

billy.sea said:
I thought touch screen are dirt cheap to implement nowadays.
Even all the new Sony digital camera released the last two years has a touch screen for netvigating menu.

They are, which is why the decision to not include one is so utterly bizarre. It makes no sense at all.

ionicbluebird said:
mshdtg.jpg

I got rid of the crome around the face buttons, changed the start and select buttons and moved the speakers.
I just realised that the placement for the dpad, buttons and analog stick is basicly a ps1-2-3 controller layout, at first I just saw it as a mash of buttons squeezed into limited space :lol Becuase of that I don't see the nub being too terrible there, but I dislike the stick placements on the PS pads anyway.

billy.sea

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
That question's already been stomped on. Patapon 2's release was 20 bucks for download code and straight-from-online download.

One of the thing people were excited about digital download was cheaper price. However, all these were gobble up by the publisher instead of passing it to the consumers. In fact, retail store always have discount of games, while online store rarely have any sale. So in the end, consumers don't gain anything from it (in terms of price).

gantz85

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

What? :lol We have conflicting information here.

Hmm.. Did some research. I have some posts on the Patapon 2 Official Thread on GAF saying that it costs the same, although I have this website here: (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...aters-by-making-patapon-2-downloadonly/?biz=1)

If you're wondering how a downloadable game will be available at retail, Sony is actually going to send empty boxes to stores that contain a download code for the game instead of a UMD disc. The retail version will sell for $19.99 while a direct download of Patapon 2 on PSN will cost $15. We'll be very interested to see how well those downloadable codes sell at retail. It could be a unique way to at least keep retail in the digital loop, rather than excluding them completely and hurting their business.

Selling at par is probably right I think.

gantz85

Banned
billy.sea said:
One of the thing people were excited about digital download was cheaper price. However, all these were gobble up by the publisher instead of passing it to the consumers. In fact, retail store always have discount of games, while online store rarely have any sale. So in the end, consumers don't gain anything from it (in terms of price).

If digital downloads were cheaper, retail is going to be PISSED.

Didn't you see what happened because of Warhawk? :lol

cw_sasuke said:
Patapon would been 20 even if it had been released on an umd. im more talking about regular psp releases like mgs, final fantasy whichs cost 35-40 bucks @retail...

What do you mean a regular PSP release? Patapon isn't on the same lines as an echochrome or Everyday Shooter as a game birthed straight from the download mindshare. It's still a valid point because of the common sense point that offering it cheaper straight from the publisher's network than getting it in any physical form, be it disc or code-on-paper, at a retail establishment will piss off the retailer. It won't change just because MGS or Final Fantasy are bigger names than Patapon.

Integra

Neo Member
*raises an eyebrow at the pictures on the first page* um... thats an ugly looking device. then again, I'm used to how the PSP looks already. :p I hope the design is a little bit better for what its capable of doing. :D

Top Bottom