• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

$h@d0w

SonOfABeep said:
The PSP Go is stupid. Hardware makers need to relinquish their iron grip on how people use their software, because the market is always going to find a way to make the device do what they want. And that means hacking this new PSP. And that means people going to places that are just a step away from piracy to get their legally purchased games on the device. :lol

And PSP Go will be in the same shitty position that PSP fat is now. It makes ZERO sense why I can't rip my own UMD and PS1 games to a PSP when it fully has that capability. Yeah, I understand it's a business decision, whatever. I'm not concerned about the health and welfare of Sony.

You sound like a pirate who feels like he's entitled to the latest hardware with all the latest games for free.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SonOfABeep - you're making an enormous assumption that people won't be able to 'transfer' their UMD games to the new system. Sony's been pretty good with things like PSN games and PSone games etc. about letting you put them where you want them. So wait and see..

That asides, you're also overlooking that their priority with this is very likely new PSP customers. They don't have to cater to every demand of existing psp owners in order to make this a success. They would probably consider it NOT to be a success if only existing customers bought Gos, or a majority of Go purchases were from existing customers. But I'd wait before jumping to the conclusion that existing customers switching to Go won't have any way to bring their umd games with them.

careful

I've always been on the fence about getting a PSP (don't do much portable gaming), but there are a few games that interest me. The media capabilities might tip me over the edge.
I hate converting videos, so if it has native support for divx/xvid, I might bite.

Skenzin

Banned
As a business traveler and someone who was getting ready to pickup a psp-2000 or 3000 this version sounds great.

However, I hope they release more details on developer/publisher support. (ie. will I be able to play madden). Will the back catalog be availabe day one. Also what will be the baseline prices since packaging / retail will be cut out.

It's odd they would announce this 6 months before availability. What new PSP user would want to buy a psp-umd system now.

Tobor

Onix said:
And what was the viable alternative at the time? Oh yeah, there wasn't one.

smh

Sure there was. They could have gone with a flash cart or memory stick option, and lobbied developers to make the kind of games they are ironically lobbying for now, smaller more portable games. That would have reduced the size of the handheld, removed the load times and battery issues and solved the console port-itis in one move.

But we all know the reason UMD came about, it was one more in a series of failed attempts to create a portable media that Sony could force on the market.

NomarTyme

gofreak said:
SonOfABeep - you're making an enormous assumption that people won't be able to 'transfer' their UMD games to the new system. Sony's been pretty good with things like PSN games and PSone games etc. about letting you put them where you want them. So wait and see..

That asides, you're also overlooking that their priority with this is very likely new PSP customers. They don't have to cater to every demand of existing psp owners in order to make this a success. They would probably consider it NOT to be a success if only existing customers bought Gos, or a majority of Go purchases were from existing customers. But I'd wait before jumping to the conclusion that existing customers switching to Go won't have any way to bring their umd games with them.
Just 3 more days. I hope they release a umd driver or something. I have like games that I just want to play every once in a while.

careful said:
I've always been on the fence about getting a PSP (don't do much portable gaming), but there are a few games that interest me. The media capabilities might tip me over the edge.
I hate converting videos, so if it has native support for divx/xvid, I might bite.

Native support might be possible considering how open the PS3 itself has been in terms of the files that system can accept, on top of having a digital download store for video content. A big reason that more open file compatibility didn't happen for PSP, I think, is because they were tethered to having to shill UMD movies on the retail front.

Eteric Rice

I just want to know if it has touch screen and can have UMD games imported to it. I'm big on owning a physical copy of my games, but being able to carry around multiple games at once would be neat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Skenzin said:
As a business traveler and someone who was getting ready to pickup a psp-2000 or 3000 this version sounds great.

However, I hope they release more details on developer/publisher support. (ie. will I be able to play madden). Will the back catalog be availabe day one. Also what will be the baseline prices since packaging / retail will be cut out.

It's odd they would announce this 6 months before availability. What new PSP user would want to buy a psp-umd system now.

I think they're gonna price cut the existing model. The new one will be position as the 'premium' of the two.

The older model also still has a slightly larger screen and a UMD drive, which I'm sure still suits a reasonably significant part of the market better than Go.

The entire back catalogue is unlikely to be there from day one, but all new releases should be, and I'm sure they'll try to catch up on the back catalogue over time, prioritising the biggest sellers (if they're smart).

$h@d0w said:
You sound like a pirate who feels like he's entitled to the latest hardware with all the latest games for free.

Absolutely not. I do however love Custom Firmware and being able to keep all my games on a memory stick, plus play PSOne games I've ripped from my own discs on the device, and have been enjoying increased battery life and performance for well over a year.

I might trade up once PSPgo gets it's first custom firmware. As of right now it just feels like a less capable, more expensive device. And the smaller screen isn't exactly awesome either.

Tobor

SonOfABeep said:
Absolutely not. I do however love Custom Firmware and being able to keep all my games on a memory stick, plus play PSOne games I've ripped from my own discs on the device, and have been enjoying increased battery life and performance for well over a year.

So how does this new device effect you in any way, shape or form?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SonOfABeep said:

Then surely if/when Go is hacked you'll be sorted then? Why do you care about UMD transfers if a hacked Go will let you play the ones you've already ripped to a memory stick?

It basically just sounds like your upset Sony isn't also announcing availability of custom firmware for you :lol Let that come through the usual channels in time..

STG!

Tobor said:
I've been thinking more about the UMD transfer issue, and I really do believe Sony can get away with doing nothing.

I pretty much think Sony is going to do just that: if they do it would be a nice nod to those of us who bought and supported UMD purchases since day 1, but I have more faith in the hacking community to provide a solution since they seemed to have provided all the features I wanted so far. :lol

Definitely liking the look of the PSPgo more and more, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Rayne.S

Banned
I would buy the PSP Go in an instant if Sony could realise the following :

1) All PSP backcatalogue UMD games at $5 - $20 PSN available MAX
2) A way to authorise exsisting PSP UMD games as Digital Downloads through the use of a PSP 1000, 2000, 3000. Read the disc, authorise and unlock in my downloadlist.
3) Have all UMD releases coincide with digital releases, one cannot be available sooner than the other.

And please ... switch Nub position for Dpad position...

El-Suave

It could also considered to be a mistake that they didn't attach the "Walkman" brand to this device. Since it's small enough to really be portable this time around that is a huge missed opportunity - for the Walkman brand as well.

Apart from it being illogical for anybody to want to play smaller, cheaper games on a "premium" device, any new customer they may want to reach will demand additional functionality. The only thing this has to offer to existing customers is more portability. For any new customer the name says - "this just plays games". They could have saved themselves a lot of work by naming it differently.

El-Suave said:
It could also considered to be a mistake that they didn't attach the "Walkman" brand to this device. Since it's small enough to really be portable this time around that is a huge missed opportunity - for the Walkman brand as well.

Apart from it being illogical for anybody to want to play smaller, cheaper games on a "premium" device, any new customer they may want to reach will demand additional functionality. The only thing this has to offer to existing customers is more portability. For any new customer the name says - "this just plays games". They could have saved themselves a lot of work by naming it differently.

no because it carries the "Playstation" brand.

SonOfABeep said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

I can't imagine who this is targeted at.

That would be me actually. I've long wanted a psp but there were important things holding me back:

~I didn't want to haul umd's around with me
~The older psp's have been too bulky in my opinion, so therefor were not true portable devices
~I was hoping for oled, but this looks good enough... the screen looks very thin!
~I've grown to like the new design... it looks pretty slick outside of pr photos

inner-G

Banned
Rayne.S said:

2) A way to authorise exsisting PSP UMD games as Digital Downloads through the use of a PSP 1000, 2000, 3000. Read the disc, authorise and unlock in my downloadlist.
3) Have all UMD releases coincide with digital releases, one cannot be available sooner than the other.

no, no, no!!

I much prefer a D-Pad for most games on a portable.

xfactor

Banned
[Nintex] said:
It doesn't really look comfortable, I think they should change the design a bit, not to mention the Japanese outrage when they discover that they can't play Final Fantasy Fanfic or Monster Hunter on the system.

In other words it's hideo's
(he probably likes it, building a new Metal Gear game and all)

Hideo loves every PS products.

El-Suave

Ninja Scooter said:
no because it carries the "Playstation" brand.

But they have a shot at selling this as a kick ass MP3 player as well (that might be the only reason I might ever want to buy it). I'm not saying they should remove the name Playstation, because it's a strong brand as well - but it limits the initial appeal (if they want to sell it to new customers).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:
I think they're gonna price cut the existing model. The new one will be position as the 'premium' of the two.

The older model also still has a slightly larger screen and a UMD drive, which I'm sure still suits a reasonably significant part of the market better than Go.

The entire back catalogue is unlikely to be there from day one, but all new releases should be, and I'm sure they'll try to catch up on the back catalogue over time, prioritising the biggest sellers (if they're smart).

The screen looks smaller enough that if they have worked on it well... we might see some benefits of the lower pixel size (hopefully :)). Yeah, I want better IQ on portables :p.

If both ghosting and that interlacing like artifact are a non-issue on the PSP Go and the Image Quality does receive an additional bump thanks to the smaller pixels (same resolution, but ~11.6% smaller pixels... roughly...) well PSP Go becomes really really interesting (it looks much more compact than the old one and I like this aspect of the new Go version of the PSP).

I am not upset about the switch to Memory Stick Micro (M2) for two reasons: 1.) I was already expecting them to use the same format they already use on their new phones and peripherals and 2.) the last memory stick I bought was an M2 with MS Pro Duo adapter... *phew* :).

El-Suave said:
But they have a shot at selling this as a kick ass MP3 player as well (that might be the only reason I might ever want to buy it). I'm not saying they should remove the name Playstation, because it's a strong brand as well - but it limits the initial appeal (if they want to sell it to new customers).

they don't want to sell it as an MP3 player. They had enough with regular PSP owners not buying enough games. There is no mistake this is for people who want to buy games and movies over Sony's service.

billy.sea

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

I can't imagine who this is targeted at.

Agree. No matter how you look at it, this upgrade is making the system less approachable than the old PSP. The biggest hurdle is making people pay $20+ to buy a digital version game.
The iPod success is because it is relying mostly on the nature of music being cheap (only $.99), and the ability for people to bring their old CD collection into MP3 files.
Video game is the most sissy market out there, they hate used market, they hate rent market, they don't give you ability to rip your existing collection into digital file. All of these are able to co-exist happily with the music or movie market.
That's why I think touch screen allow them to explore and vastly expand the casual market with cheap and fun games.

scitek

deadatom said:
You can try this if you just need to get it: Use old games on old psp, buy new games on new psp.

That's such a stupid fucking thing to say. If you have money to blow on new memory sticks to have enough space to hold all your games, OR you think deleting and downloading a game again just to play it is an acceptable way of doing things, then I hope you're sterile because we don't need any more like you.

Seriously, this is the same system we're talking about here, just being redesigned with a SMALLER screen and no UMD slot. It's a fuck-ugly, neutered PSP and it's being lauded as something potentially awesome by some in here. Not only that, but some of you also believe that this means UMD is "obsolete" or going away for good once this thing hits the market. You're crazy. UMD isn't going away until the next PSP, Sony isn't that stupid.

Peronthious said:
Just give me my PSN subscription service and I'll be happy.

I can hope.

The stock footage they had playing on the PSP go in the Qore episode was of Patapon 2, and there was a "so-and-so signed in." notification pop-up so I guess more PSN integration for the device?

keyrat

SonOfABeep said:

I might trade up once PSPgo gets it's first custom firmware. As of right now it just feels like a less capable, more expensive device. And the smaller screen isn't exactly awesome either.

Don't worry, because Sony has a PSP 3000 just for old timers like yourself.

Me, this is the first time I actually look at the PSP as a real option to buy. It's small enough to put in a pocket, I can keep all the games on the hard drive, I don't have to go to the store to buy them, and they're going to start pushing cheaper, iPhone-like games (but the PSP Go is 10x the game system the iPhone is, because of the dpad and buttons). This is EXACTLY what I wanted.

nyprimus2

I just thought of this... what if Sony figured that since they are eliminating the used game market with the PSP Go! they would set the price at $99? I mean they've had the technology since 2003.

Imagine how many more people would buy the system at $99 compared to $119-$169. And with so many more people with the actual system this would mean a shit load more game sales.

They could create a Steam-esque program for PSP Go! Buy games, try demos, rate and comment games, buy/rent movies, forums built in.

Rayne.S said:

But then people who have PSP1000-3000 could just purchase PSP games for $5-20 and not purchase the UMD at the retail price. So really, never going to happen.

Please let the good folks at Gizmodo distract you from the inanity of the discussion in this thread:

ss_preview_PSP_GO_000.bmp.jpg_02.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5273445/psp-go-a-dead-ringer-for-south-parks-eric-cartman

Edit: Oh for fuck's sake. At least my post had commentary! :lol

oneHeero

So thread is basically;

1. Omg it leaked
2. Omg its ugly
3. Omg its kinda nice
4. Omg no fucken 2nd stick
5. Day 1
6. It better have this and that
7. It better be priced at the DSi even w/ bluetooth/wifi/better screens/blabla
8. Omg I better be able to DL my UMDs to this
9. The PSPGo is pointless, why even buy it? Sony are just separating the psp userbase.

Is that all? I'll probably buy this day one and sell my DSi. Nothing came out that was a must buy for it that I couldnt get on a DSlite so I paid for a shitty camera that I didnt use as much as I hope I would :(

careful

nyprimus2 said:
I just thought of this... what if Sony figured that since they are eliminating the used game market with the PSP they would set the price of PSP Go! at $99? I mean they've had the technology since 2003.

Imagine how many more people would buy the system at $99 compared to $119-$169. And with so many more people with the actual system this would mean a shit load more game sales.

They could create a Steam-esque program for PSP Go! Buy games, try demos, rate and comment games, buy/rent movies, forums built in.
They repeatedly said it was a 'premium' version.

scitek

nyprimus2 said:
I just thought of this... what if Sony figured that since they are eliminating the used game market with the PSP they would set the price of PSP Go! at $99? I mean they've had the technology since 2003.

They could create a Steam like program for PSP Go!

Really? So every previous PSP owner will automatically have their old PSPs replaced with PSPGo!s for free? Well hot damn! Megaton indeed!

Cruzader

Banned
gofreak said:
Then surely if/when Go is hacked you'll be sorted then? Why do you care about UMD transfers if a hacked Go will let you play the ones you've already ripped to a memory stick?

It basically just sounds like your upset Sony isn't also announcing availability of custom firmware for you :lol Let that come through the usual channels in time..
Some of these ppls asking for CFW on Go, are retards.

sonofabeep now you will get the chance to buy all future psp games digitally so why bitch about Go? Isnt that why you hacked your psp? to have them on your MS? You will still have your old psp to play your umds and homebrew.

Deku

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
You're absolutely wrong and you absolutely missed my point.

I do NOT have to re-buy all of my physical music CDs or DVDs when I get a new iPod.

Why? Because the music industry is a modern, mature market that understands that people want to have the ability to use their media how they see fit.

Not allowing UMD owners to put their UMD games on this new device is an oversight and a sign of stupidity on a higher degree than if Apple made people buy all new albums and films on iTunes with a new Ipod that didn't allow you to rip your own music.

Except with products that have a 2-3x higher price per item.

The PSP Go is stupid. Hardware makers need to relinquish their iron grip on how people use their software, because the market is always going to find a way to make the device do what they want. And that means hacking this new PSP. And that means people going to places that are just a step away from piracy to get their legally purchased games on the device. :lol

And PSP Go will be in the same shitty position that PSP fat is now. It makes ZERO sense why I can't rip my own UMD and PS1 games to a PSP when it fully has that capability. Yeah, I understand it's a business decision, whatever. I'm not concerned about the health and welfare of Sony.

We can assume that they let you enter your current UMD's barcode or whatever identifiable information so that you can download the same game, free of charge.

Assuming they actually offer that, I'm still very skeptical that the industry is ready for this whole download only model.

Downloading a 1.5 gig game for forty or fifty dollars is not the same as downloading at 50 MB album for ten dollars. Not to mention the entry fee for this device is probably at minumum 300 to 400 dollars. So it's going to be for adults only.

When rumors of a UMDless PSP first surfaced, it seemed more like an attempt to relaunch the PSP as a CE device that can play all sorts of media AND games. And this most recent batch of information seems to confirm that they're trying to distance themselves from the ghetto of the portable gaming market thats ran by the same group of hardcore games plus the 10 year olds who just eat up spongebob and pokemon games. I just really don't see the soundness of the business model behind this new twist.

I thought they had found a winning formula relaunching the UMD capable PSP every six months with slight upgrades.

J-Rzez

El-Suave said:

Like I said earlier, they probably don't want to create a "bigger" internal battle than there needs to be with their walkman line. They have their cheaper mp3 players, then this is going to sit in between, and then they have their high-end model that costs more than this likely will. And considering the features the PSP already has, and also the fact that it'll have expandable memory for more music and movie (something even iPods can't address) with those new micro cards, many possibly now look at it as a great mp3 player. The sound quality is pretty good too. If they really want to hit those mp3 player only people, they can easily just tell retailers to put this next to the mp3 players, and have it's playback features listed on the details cards.

This is the least of things to complain about with this new model.

They already are, if those surveys that some people got (including myself) seem to indicate. You'd be able to buy or rent (like gamefly, having a monthly fee) games via some store front. I personally like physical media, I like the boxes and manuals, but I suppose this makes sense for a portable system since in theory it's for gamers on the go.

keyrat

I read all the complaints and I just want a facepalm.jpg all over.

The only thing really missing from this is a phone and non-phone version. Don't you guys understand the direct download market? It's all about smaller purchases. It's about beating the iPhone because they're making a killing selling cheap games.

This isn't about making a portable PS3. It's not going to be about playing high end games. It's gonna be about great games like Zenonia which retails for $6.99.

If you want your UMD $35 games stick with PSP 3000. If you want cheap, expendable, on the go stuff => PSP Go.

tzare

so.... it uses microSD instead of memoryStick?

It does not seem to have a TV output, i hope i am wrong.
What would BT be useful for? PS3-PSP data transfer? pairing withe wireless headphones or any other BT devices like GPS or phones?
Nothing said about touch screen but there's a picture with a clock so i still have hope on thay plus an improved webbrowser to face iphone.

I guess everything will be revealed at E3.

nyprimus2

keyrat said:
I read all the complaints and I just want a facepalm.jpg all over.

The only thing really missing from this is a phone and non-phone version. Don't you guys understand the direct download market? It's all about smaller purchases. It's about beating the iPhone because they're making a killing selling cheap games.

This isn't about making a portable PS3. It's not going to be about playing high end games. It's gonna be about great games like Zenonia which retails for $6.99.

If you want your UMD $35 games stick with PSP 3000. If you want cheap, expendable, on the go stuff => PSP Go.
Once PSP Go! is released the PSN Store is going to have the $7 games and the $40 games. Sony is getting rid of the middle man.

scitek

nyprimus2 said:
edited my post :D

Yeah, but that's not gonna happen. Every new game that comes out is not going to be download-only, it just can't. They're not that stupid.

Seriously, to completely cut-off a system's format and expect its users to conform to a new one mid-generation without some kind of trade-in program or way of not making me spend more money on storage just to be able to buy games is just unfathomable to me. It's just too Draconian, yet some of you fully expect it to happen.

keyrat

nyprimus2 said:
Once PSP Go! is released the PSN Store is going to have the $7 games and the $40 games. Sony is getting rid of the middle man.

Of course. Still, I really see the focus trending towards the cheaper games. That's where the money is right now in direct download.

You also have to realize this is the Playstation Division making this device not the Sony Ericsson Phone group.

I think if Sony Ericsson just took the PSP Go design and crammed in cell phone technology they would have something which could quite easily fight with the iPhone.

Then they would also subsidize costs with cell phone plans like the iPhone.

What say you noble Gaf (oh... and you whining bastards too)? Would you get a PSP Phone?

Top Bottom