• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Tellaerin

Ninja Scooter said:
i hate the placement of the speaker though. Right next to the D-pad?

I'm surprised so many people seem to care about the speakers. I can't imagine playing a handheld without headphones.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I think this PSP is a perfect example of how going too far to prevent piracy hurts the normal user.

Sony thinks that switching to download only is a great way to stop piracy, so they remove the UMD drive and screw over "early adopters." They think that making the battery unchangeable is a great way to stop battery hacks, but that just screws everyone because you risk breaking the system every time the battery needs to be changed.

This PSP is a downgrade in every way from the previous design, and is just more proof that Sony doesn't get it.
indeed, to stop battery hacks, remove the backdoor, not the removable battery.

tzare

The Faceless Master said:
indeed, to stop battery hacks, remove the backdoor, not the removable battery.
hasn't this already been fixed , i think psp 2k and 3k can't be hacked via pandora's battery.

If pspgo is under 200 bucks, has 16Gb and a decent browser (and hopefully touchscreen) that would be a serios alternative to itouch

aoi tsuki

As much as i hate digital distribution, i'm such a casual gamer now that the idea of carrying games with me instead of having them on the device just doesn't appeal to me anymore. At the same time, i could go with a PSP-3000 and hacked firmware, but the workarounds and cat-and-mouse game of firmware updates don't appeal to me either. (If that's changed and playing ripped games is dead simple, someone please let me know.)

The price of the Go doesn't really matter as much as the price of the games, the rough average size of those games, and how DRM is implemented.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Andronicus said:
Did he say he had gran turismo on the psp go?!??!?!
I got the impression that right before the segment cut off, they were going to play GT on PSP Go so I'm hoping that they show footage @ E3.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
the DSi is selling pretty well, and the average consumer has no idea it's got 2x the CPU and 4x the RAM...

I don't think the target consumer for the Go! is the same the target consumer for the DSi though. The former got rid of hard media altogether and adopted the DD business model, so it's geared towards a more knowledgeable, more technology conscious consumer.

tzare said:
hasn't this already been fixed , i think psp 2k and 3k can't be hacked via pandora's battery.

If pspgo is under 200 bucks, has 16Gb and a decent browser (and hopefully touchscreen) that would be a serios alternative to itouch

No it wouldnt. People would still want their app store full of gimmicky replicates of similarly functional devices. And iTunes has way more content providers than Sony does, oh and also, they wouldnt be able to hack the PSP like they do the iPod Touch

J-Rzez

UntoldDreams said:
You know if you worked at Sony Ericsson and had even a minimum level IQ (enough so you could dress yourself in the morning), you would immediately realize the potential to turn this into a PSPhone.

I agree. If anyone could compete with Apple in the segment it would be SE. People generally like their SE phones, and I have friends/family that swear by them, and their features/quality. Just unfortunately, for me, a good carrier is more important than flashier phone line ups, so I'm with Verizon in my area, who has the best coverage. They were supposed to go open network now for a while, but still haven't done so unfortunately.

I'm surprised they haven't tried yet with a PSPhone, money left on the table.

Just looked at some M2 prices. Not too bad actually, I wasn't really up on them. Oh well, once again, I'll have to see this in person to decide : /

the DSi is selling pretty well, and the average consumer has no idea it's got 2x the CPU and 4x the RAM...

but they WILL start to wonder why some games are DSi-only, which i think in a way kinda sucks, because it's the same as there being PSP Go-only games. it's not PSP2, but it would still have software that only works on it. not defending PSP or knocking you on your comment, but just pointing out that i think the changes themselves are what really matter, not weather or not the companies put those bullet points out there.

but i can see how you would want to highlight GOOD changes, and mutter BAD changes under your breath. sometimes sony gets those two mixed up. ;)

im worried about consumers seeing:
*3.8" screen vs 4.3"
*Memory Stick Micro vs the ones they already bought for their old PSP
*likely that the games can't be run off the memory stick, and it would only be used for music/movies/data when your main space is full. ie: games can only run from main storage.
*you have to download the games (which is up to personal preference seeing as most people don't have problems buying from itunes and napster, so why would this be so different?)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
*3.8" screen vs 4.3"
*likely that the games can't be run off the memory stick, and it would only be used for music/movies/data when your main space is full. ie: games can only run from main storage.

*you have to download the games (which is up to personal preference seeing as most people don't have problems buying from itunes and napster, so why would this be so different?)

I'm one of the more cautious people about this updates but I disagree that the regular user would mind the bolded part. Hell I don't and I'm not as enthusiastic as others itt.

agm2502

but they WILL start to wonder why some games are DSi-only, which i think in a way kinda sucks, because it's the same as there being PSP Go-only games. it's not PSP2, but it would still have software that only works on it. not defending PSP or knocking you on your comment, but just pointing out that i think the changes themselves are what really matter, not weather or not the companies put those bullet points out there.

but i can see how you would want to highlight GOOD changes, and mutter BAD changes under your breath. sometimes sony gets those two mixed up. ;)

*3.8" screen vs 4.3"

I don't see how there is going to be any PSP Go only games. the PSP 3000 can acess the PSP store and I assume the go hasn't got any graphics upgrades.

Teknoman

Tellaerin said:
I'm surprised so many people seem to care about the speakers. I can't imagine playing a handheld without headphones.

Well when playing at home or sometimes waiting around in car or something, good speakers are appreciated.

agm2502 said:
I don't see how there is going to be any PSP Go only games. the PSP 3000 can acess the PSP store and I assume the go hasn't got any graphics upgrades.

Wont a problem arise in the appearance of games on the normal PSP screen versus this smaller screen? Either the normal PSP is gonna stretch the image, or the PSP Go is gonna squeeze the image.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Is this even remotely possible? I run games fine from mem stick on my PSP. Why shouln't PSP Go be able to do the same?

Am I the only one absolutely in love with the design? Granted I haven't touched the thing, but it looks amazing. And with the line up of games this year, this is going to be my most played system by far this year.

• Resistance
  • Patapon 2
  • Rock Band
  • Motorstorm
  • LBP
  • Gran Turismo
  • Jak and Daxter
  • New Metal Gear
  • Possible new GTA

And thats not counting whatever download only titles Sony announces at E3, as well as other full games that get announced.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
TTP said:
Is this even remotely possible? I run games fine from mem stick on my PSP. Why shouln't PSP Go be able to do the same?

I guess what he means is how the downloaded games could be only stored on the 16GB flash memory while the memory stick is only be utilized to store other types of media.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dedication Through Light said:
Wont a problem arise in the appearance of games on the normal PSP screen versus this smaller screen? Either the normal PSP is gonna stretch the image, or the PSP Go is gonna squeeze the image.
Do we know that the resolution is different? IF so, there can just be some black bars on screen or the other.

NomarTyme

Jinfash said:
I guess what he means is how the downloaded games could be only stored on the 16GB flash memory while the memory stick is only be utilized to store other types of media.
That would be really stupid on Sony part. I'm pretty sure Sony is not do this though.... hopefully.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
NomarTyme said:
That would be really stupid on Sony part. I'm pretty sure Sony is not do this though.... hopefully.

The functionality is already there for PSP and PSone games, so I really don't understand why they would take it away...

Truespeed

No, resolution is the exact same. Just a smaller dot pitch size. It will actually make the image look more crisp. Think of 1920x1200 on a 22" LCD and you get the idea.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
NomarTyme said:

Well, we'll have to wait for e3 to get a confirmation, but it could be possible given their firm stance on combating piracy with this redesign.

Ploid 3.0

gofreak said:
So much about the presentation makes absolutely no sense in a post-E3 context.

It views as a primer on the PSP Go, wrapped in a shell of spy/secrecy theatrics. Lots of rudimentary, 'introductory' questions about specs and release date. All things which a 'Qore' audience would already know about after E3. Spending so much time labouriously going over such detail in any context other than a first look doesn't make sense.

Also consider how miserly they were with new game detail and media. Generic references to Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo, but no actual specific names. And they cut to GT5 Prologue footage after mentioning Gran Turismo! That doesn't make any sense in a post-E3 context when details and media of such games should be all over the place, particularly for something aimed at athe well informed core fans.

In hindsight it definitely looks like a controlled sneak-peek preview. I don't think this is what genuine post-unveil coverage of PSP go would look like on Qore.

Qore got the big scoop. Not just for demos, and betas anymore.

Blu_LED said:
Am I the only one absolutely in love with the design? Granted I haven't touched the thing, but it looks amazing. And with the line up of games this year, this is going to be my most played system by far this year.

• Resistance
  • Patapon 2
  • Rock Band
  • Motorstorm
  • LBP
  • Gran Turismo
  • Jak and Daxter
  • New Metal Gear
  • Possible new GTA

And thats not counting whatever download only titles Sony announces at E3, as well as other full games that get announced.

Assassins Creed too.

Erebus

JeFfRey said:
The functionality is already there for PSP and PSone games, so I really don't understand why they would take it away...

The only reason I can think of is to further restrict piracy.

Zen

Banned
Jinfash said:
Well, we'll have to wait for e3 to get a confirmation, but it could be possible given their firm stance on combating piracy with this redesign.

Hasn't piracy basically been made unworkable (thus far) with the PSP 3000 onwards?

NomarTyme

Jinfash said:
I would be extremely disappointed IF this happens. E3 can come soon enough.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zen said:
Isn't piracy basically impossible with the PSP 3000 onwards?

Unfortunately not. If you've being paying attention to the homebrew scene you would've learned about at least 3 exploits that were recently discovered in the 3000, so it's only a matter of time before people are able to pirate games on it.

Zen

Banned
Blu_LED said:

• Resistance
  • Patapon 2
  • Rock Band
  • Motorstorm
  • LBP
  • Gran Turismo
  • Jak and Daxter
  • New Metal Gear
  • Possible new GTA
  • Asassins Creed
  • Soul Callibur
  • Tekken 6

That's one impressive list, I just hope the market supports them. The PSP has never gotten support like this ever in its lifespan before.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Blu_LED said:

• Resistance
  • Patapon 2
  • Rock Band
  • Motorstorm
  • LBP
  • Gran Turismo
  • Jak and Daxter
  • New Metal Gear
  • Possible new GTA

Not including Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (my PSP's GOTY fo sho) is a serious crime.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully they also release Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as a downloadable title as well as retail.

EVERY game from PSP Go release must be downloadable, or else whats the point...

agm2502 said:

exactly. im saying that PSPGo most likely won't. i was making a point about there being DSi-only games that won't work on DS, and that being a problem for average consumers. i can picture a mom buying a normal DS being cheaper than the DSi, and "that new game" little billy wants, and it not working.

TTP said:

just saying they might put that restriction only on the Go because of the integrated system storage. might be their way of slowly bumping their piracy fight up a notch, even if only on the Go model. they might look at the data at some point and see if that helped at all, and use that in the PSP2. IE: I AM JUST SPECULATING. :D

PSYGN

J-Rzez said:
I agree. If anyone could compete with Apple in the segment it would be SE. People generally like their SE phones, and I have friends/family that swear by them, and their features/quality. Just unfortunately, for me, a good carrier is more important than flashier phone line ups, so I'm with Verizon in my area, who has the best coverage. They were supposed to go open network now for a while, but still haven't done so unfortunately.

I'm surprised they haven't tried yet with a PSPhone, money left on the table.

Just looked at some M2 prices. Not too bad actually, I wasn't really up on them. Oh well, once again, I'll have to see this in person to decide : /

Leave it to the Chinese to make one.
Or at least try... :lol

ph5-hb758b.jpg

J-Rzez said:
fifty percent more to twice as much as microsd is 'not bad'?

that's the same bump people complained about with pro duo vs sd

panda21

Well Monster Hunter comes out before the PSP Go. Im just hoping that when it comes out this fall, Capcom puts the full game up on the PSN.

well theres nothing stopping them from releasing MH on the PSN store when it comes out. you can still play dd games on the current psp models...

PSYGN

Are there any MicroSDHC to M2 adapters?

I don't know how big or what the M2 even looks like. I guess it'll be smaller which means no dual MicroSDHC to MSPD type of option.

I know someone has already mentioned it here, but if you want cheap memory for your current PSP, I'd advise getting a CR-5400 adapter for the PSP. I bought two 8GB MicroSDHC's from Newegg for around $28, the adapter costed $9 at the time but it's only $6 at the moment at DealExtreme.

The great thing about it is that I can always reuse that memory (the MicroSDHC's) for something else other than Sony's own products! And 16GB for much less than what it would have costed me had I bought 16GB MSPD.

PSYGN said:
Are there any MicroSDHC to M2 adapters?

I don't know how big or what the M2 even looks like. I guess it'll be smaller which means no dual MicroSDHC to MSPD type of option.
sandisk-microsd-m2-cards957.jpg

I know someone has already mentioned it here, but if you want cheap memory for your current PSP, I'd advise getting a CR-5400 adapter for the PSP. I bought two 8GB MicroSDHC's from Newegg for around $28, the adapter costed $9 at the time but it's only $6 at the moment at DealExtreme.

The great thing about it is that I can always reuse that memory (the MicroSDHC's) for something else other than Sony's own products! And 16GB for much less than what it would have costed me had I bought 16GB MSPD.
yeah, i got some ebay adapters to use in my psp and camera, they were like $3 each or some ridiculous price. they work great!

n37yj5.jpg

Top Bottom