• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

-Kh-

Banned
oneHeero said:
9. The PSPGo is pointless, why even buy it? Sony are just separating the psp userbase.

This is the biggest issue that I found after reading the news and skimming throught the thread.

When the DS was introduced at least it had the ability to play GBA games, even if it was supposed to "the third pillar" and what not. But the Go is a entirely 'new system' exclusively for downloadable games. That's the most worrysome thing.

oneHeero

UntoldDreams said:
You also have to realize this is the Playstation Division making this device not the Sony Ericsson Phone group.

I think if Sony Ericsson just took the PSP Go design and crammed in cell phone technology they would have something which could quite easily fight with the iPhone.

Then they would also subsidize costs with cell phone plans like the iPhone.

What say you noble Gaf (oh... and you whining bastards too)? Would you get a PSP Phone?
Day 1 for a psphone

nyprimus2

tzare said:
so.... it uses microSD instead of memoryStick?

It does not seem to have a TV output, i hope i am wrong.
What would BT be useful for? PS3-PSP data transfer? pairing withe wireless headphones or any other BT devices like GPS or phones?
Nothing said about touch screen but there's a picture with a clock so i still have hope on thay plus an improved webbrowser to face iphone.

I guess everything will be revealed at E3.
presssonypspgo5.jpg

HDMI

-Kh- said:
This is the biggest issue that I found after reading the news and skimming throught the thread.

When the DS was introduced at least it had the ability to play GBA games, even if it was supposed to "the third pillar" and what not. But the Go is a entirely 'new system' exclusively for downloadable games. That's the most worrysome thing.

PSP as we know it now also has downloadable games, and it still will. It's almost the reverse of the DS-GBA situation where we have the platform that can handle both formats, and now we have one that can really exemplify the strengths of the downloadable-side.

-Kh- said:

Go is not a new system. Its identical minus the UMD.

If you, a developer, make a PSP game you can put it on PSN and UMD to reach the entire base.

PSP games are universal. There is no version problem between devices.

iceatcs

There should be no problem to use DS3 on PSP Go. If Sony let it using bluetooth.

Then there should be no problem for 3rd party to make mini dual stick controller clamp on this PSP.

J-Rzez

oneHeero said:
Day 1 for a psphone

As long as it looks more classy designed like a SE phones, then yes, I would buy one too. That is if it's supported by verizon's network, unlike their current phones.

I'm just hoping they add more ram to the Go. As for the demographic, I can see this appealing a lot more to female demographic and doing more for them with that group than the lilac PSP could. If they could crack that market then this thing could be a success.

nyprimus2

-Kh- said:

What is worrysome? UMD's will be available at Gamestop for UMD owners and the PSN Store will have the same games for Go! owners. Hell UMD owners have the option of buying UMD's or downloading games off the PSN Store.

I'm hoping that they announce at E3 that setting up the PSN Store on your computer (Mac or PC) for first time PSP owners and people that only own Go!'s is going to be something that is extremely easy for the soccer moms.

JudgeN

I might be the only one who likes the current PSP design, fits perfect in my hand and nothing hurts when I'm playing it. Of course it does need a second stick but other then that it feels good, plenty portable too.

J-Rzez said:
As long as it looks more classy designed like a SE phones, then yes, I would buy one too. That is if it's supported by verizon's network, unlike their current phones.

You know if you worked at Sony Ericsson and had even a minimum level IQ (enough so you could dress yourself in the morning), you would immediately realize the potential to turn this into a PSPhone.

Troidal said:
I sold 2 of my PSPs I owned in anticipation for this. I still have one PSP-2000 left but that may also be sold once I know more details on this thing. If it has the ability to DL old games that were on UMD, then it's good. I dont own much games anyhow.
you sold two psp's and most of your games because you thought this might happen?

wow, want to give me some mega millions lotto numbers?

I think this PSP is a perfect example of how going too far to prevent piracy hurts the normal user.

Sony thinks that switching to download only is a great way to stop piracy, so they remove the UMD drive and screw over "early adopters." They think that making the battery unchangeable is a great way to stop battery hacks, but that just screws everyone because you risk breaking the system every time the battery needs to be changed.

This PSP is a downgrade in every way from the previous design, and is just more proof that Sony doesn't get it.

Guy LeDouche said:
that's the power connection. ever seen the bottom of an iphone? same thing.

That slot can potentially have many uses from power, data transfer, TV out, UMD drive or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if the Go is USB charging only and didn't include a dedicated power cable.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I think this PSP is a perfect example of how going too far to prevent piracy hurts the normal user.

Sony thinks that switching to download only is a great way to stop piracy, so they remove the UMD drive and screw over "early adopters." They think that making the battery unchangeable is a great way to stop battery hacks, but that just screws everyone because you risk breaking the system every time the battery needs to be changed.

This PSP is a downgrade in every way from the previous design, and is just more proof that Sony doesn't get it.

Are you being serious? That's wrong and you have your blinders on because I refuse to believe you are unable to see the merits of a small form factor device.

People hate carrying around UMD's.

$h@d0w

So you're pissed off that you can't buy the latest model of the PSP and pirate games?

JudgeN

To much assumption here, there very well could be a way for people with UMD games to download the games they already own for free. Battery thing is just silly batteries rarely go bad for no good reason.

they aren't screwing over anybody. Your older PSPs aren't going to stop working, in fact by all accounts Sony will continue selling them. They will continue to make games on UMD for that audience (though i think they plan on slowly phasing that out and making the Go the lead platform).

Flek

Banned
the best thing about download games :

- extremely import friendly. Release in japan? Get it the same day in us / eu etc.
- you carry all your games arround

NomarTyme

Flek said:

- extremely import friendly. Release in japan? Get it the same day in us / eu etc.
Don't forget a lot less loading time.

I'm changing my opinion every day, today I hate the design. It would be much more elegant if the screen had a straight surround. Similar to the fake concepts.

Zen

Banned
Flek said:

Honestly ever since I took my first plung into DD PSP games with Patapon 2 I have been totally converted. To me, these games being DD is practically added value because they're so convenient to play, still have the manual, and I don't have to have useless plastic cases etc just giving me more needless stuff. I've bought Jeanne D'arc, Killzone Liberation, and SSDPortable, and I will definetly be buying a lot more PSP games once they're on the PSN, many more than I would have had I been faced with actually buying a physical copy and lugging aroudn UMDs (I wouldn't have bothered trying Patapon had it been a disc only release tbh).

Although I'm still iffy on the Go, I might just keep my PSP 1000 and get a bigger memory stick.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm warming up to the design but every time I think about digital-only I revert back to thinking this is a bad idea

Nose Master said:
It'd be awesome if they'd let you download any game for free if you produced the serial :p

To bad people could just go to a store and right down the serial though. I still think if they allow you to re-download the games you already have, it will be tied to the PS3 somehow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wish they used the space above the analogue and start/select for anything, whether it be any extra buttons, art, speakers, just anything!

SonOfABeep said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

I can't imagine who this is targeted at.
the DSi is selling pretty well, and the average consumer has no idea it's got 2x the CPU and 4x the RAM...

Top Bottom