• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

adg1034

brain_stew said:
They are, which is why the decision to not include one is so utterly bizarre. It makes no sense at all.

Because then, the headlines/buzz would be "Sony's DS?" or "Sony- late to the touch party?"

For now, the PSP is just the PSP. But you'd be insane if you didn't believe that their actual next-gen handheld won't include a touch screen from the get go.

Dragon

Banned
billy.sea said:
The DSi has DSiware and Camera that the DS Lite doesn't have.

The difference between DSiware/Camera and adding a touchscreen is pretty significant to me. That's why I think it's not necessary to implement a touchscreen until they're onto a new handheld entirely.

Haunted

I like this design much more than the original's.

Let me just add that I hope Sony uses most of its conference (and E3 itself) to talk about the PS3, show its games and upcoming stuff, etc.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ionicbluebird said:
mshdtg.jpg

I got rid of the crome around the face buttons, changed the start and select buttons and moved the speakers.

That looks alot better, although tbh I think the system as it is would look alot better in white with the chrome, the device in black looks like an 80's nerd toy, they need to make it more appealing to the casual audience, and that includes girls/woman, atm it screams hardcore and I think that's bad.

Integra

Neo Member
Haunted said:
Let me just add that I hope Sony uses most of its conference (and E3 itself) to talk about the PS3, show its games and upcoming stuff, etc.

I hope so too. I really hope so too.

Dragon

Banned
Haunted said:

They have to get profitable so they can't afford to mess this one up.

Tobor

I've been thinking more about the UMD transfer issue, and I really do believe Sony can get away with doing nothing.

The people in this thread posting about having 20-30 UMDs are abnormal, the "normal" user probably has 5-6, and that's being generous. How many sales age threads have we had where the hardware and software sales for the PSP have been completely out of whack?

Sony has repeatedly been stating they want different demographics to buy the PSP, that they are locked into that young boy market, and want to break out. If they're selling to different markets, who cares if UMD's transfer? These new older customers don't own any.

This is a GAF collector issue, not a real world problem, and I really think Sony will act accordingly.

Pistolero

Haunted said:
I like this design much more than the original's.

Well, PSP business is an important segment to them, so I see no reason for neglecting the portable. I suspect something around 50/50 between PSP and PS3 as far as talktime is concerned...

Seriously, this thing deserves to be an epic disaster. Not only does it look like a piece of shit Chinese knockoff, but it has all the ergonomics of a Judas Cradle.

guina

Tobor said:
I've been thinking more about the UMD transfer issue, and I really do believe Sony can get away with doing nothing.

The people in this thread posting about having 20-30 UMDs are abnormal, the "normal" user probably has 5-6, and that's being generous. How many sales age threads have we had where the hardware and software sales for the PSP have been completely out of whack?

Sony has repeatedly been stating they want different demographics to buy the PSP, that they are locked into that young boy market, and want to break out. If they're selling to different markets, who cares if UMD's transfer? These new older customers don't own any.

This is a GAF collector issue, not a real world problem, and I really think Sony will act accordingly.
Imagine in Japan if people dont have a way to play Monster Hunter on the PSPGo, it will be an instafailure.

Dragon

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Seriously, this thing deserves to be an epic disaster. Not only does it look like a piece of shit Chinese knockoff, but it has all the ergonomics of a Judas Cradle.

It deserves to be an epic disaster because you don't like the way it looks and have decided it's uncomfortable to use, even though you've never used it? :lol

[Nintex]

It doesn't really look comfortable, I think they should change the design a bit, not to mention the Japanese outrage when they discover that they can't play Final Fantasy Fanfic or Monster Hunter on the system.

In other words it's hideo's
(he probably likes it, building a new Metal Gear game and all)

MickeyKnox said:

Harsh.
I don't see why you'd want something to fail just because you don't like it. Why not wait till people get their hands on it and give some final impressions of the hardware.

guina said:
Imagine in Japan if people dont have a way to play Monster Hunter on the PSPGo, it will be an instafailure.
Do you think Sony and Capcom is dumb? There will be a Monster Hunter branded PSP with it on the the HDD day 1.

Haunted

TheBranca18 said:
They have to get profitable so they can't afford to mess this one up.
Pistolero said:
Well, PSP business is an important segment to them, so I see no reason for neglecting the portable. I suspect something around 50/50 between PSP and PS3 as far as talktime is concerned...
Yes, yes, I'm aware. It was just a personal comment as a PS3-but-not-PSP-and-not-in-the-market-for-one-either owner.

Troidal

I sold 2 of my PSPs I owned in anticipation for this. I still have one PSP-2000 left but that may also be sold once I know more details on this thing. If it has the ability to DL old games that were on UMD, then it's good. I dont own much games anyhow.

i would not be surprised if there isn't any solution for existing UMD owners announced. No vouchers, no trade in program. This is being aimed at a new audience. If you want to keep playing your UMD collection thats why Sony will keep making the older model PSPs. They will just tell you to buy one of those.

Tobor

guina said:
3 million people own the UMD there (MHP2). how will they play it on the psp go if sony does nothing like you said?

Release a new Monster Hunter on PSN day 1, or do a Japan only bundle with it pre-installed.

This is not a major issue.

MercuryLS

Banned
I honestly really like the design and I think this is a really great direction to take the PSP platform. I might jump back in with this. Some of the upcoming games look really good and more emphasis on smaller downloadable games is a great thing.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

I can't imagine who this is targeted at.

El-Suave

Tobor said:
Monster Hunter won't be on sale on PSN in Japan?

In Japan, PSP hardware (and software) is selling relatively good I think, your "new, older customer" theory doesn't apply there anyway.
I doubt it applies anywhere else - it would be the first redesign that doesn't bank on people upgrading or buying the device twice.

Tobor

SonOfABeep said:
I think a lot of people are underestimaing how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE I UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

People other than 13 year old boys, who by Sony's own statements have been the predominant customer up to now.

SonOfABeep said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating how low people's tolerance for bullshit like making you re-buy something you already own to play on a new but basically 95% identical device. :lol

What part of the market exists that just has been DYING to get a PSP, but the design/form factor/UMD Drive just makes them say I CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL they get rid of umd, change the form factor, and make it cost more?

iPod disagrees with you.

TheBranca18 said:
It deserves to be an epic disaster because you don't like the way it looks and have decided it's uncomfortable to use, even though you've never used it? :lol
Physics, common sense and even a basic level of design sense. This thing will be to hands what a Judas Cradle is to rectums.

Tobor

El-Suave said:
In Japan, PSP hardware (and software) is selling relatively good I think, your "new, older customer" theory doesn't apply there anyway.
I doubt it applies anywhere else - it would be the first redesign that doesn't bank on people upgrading or buying the device twice.

I'll leave Japan up to the experts, except to say that we know they love smaller systems.

As for the US, this is exactly what Sony needed to do to sell software. Sticking it on the shelves just isn't working for this platform.

guina

Blu_LED said:
Do you think Sony and Capcom is dumb? There will be a Monster Hunter branded PSP with it on the the HDD day 1.
That would bait alot of people to buy it, i will give you that.

Tobor said:
Release a new Monster Hunter on PSN day 1, or do a Japan only bundle with it pre-installed.

This is not a major issue.
The bundle thing might work, but i dont want sony to get away with it doing nothing. I think it is a major issue and they need to give us a way to turn our umd games into digital licenses.

MickeyKnox said:
Physics, common sense and even a basic level of design sense. This thing will be to hands what Judas Cradle is to rectums.

The PSP itself has pretty piss poor ergonomics. Stupid design choices all around.

While playing games (and hurting my left thumb on the stick) I can still accidentally switch the power off on my right palm.

It still sold what? 50 million? I would not assume this to be any different.

Admit it: This will probably sell awesome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SonOfABeep said:

I'm sure some people have been put off it, and by game handhelds generally, by virtue of the fact that they're not as easily portable as a phone, for example. And I'd also guess some people are put off by a distinctively game-y appearance on such handhelds.

The PSP before..or at least the 'phat' PSP, is not a comfortably pocketable device, and it looks very clearly like a games device.

That seems to be the major focus with this one, making something that you can very easily put in your pocket, and one that doesn't look out of place next to other non-game mobile devices. It looks like a slider phone something a lot of people are perfectly comfortable with. It's easy to underestimate the importance of how things appear..but I think a desire to make something that appears like devices a consumer may already be familiar with was a major thing informing the design of this model.

I would guess that these things, in particular size, are significant virtues for a lot of people when looking at mobile devices, and could be reason enough alone to get some existing owners to switch to this model...if they can bring their software with them.

Thrakier

MickeyKnox said:
Physics, common sense and even a basic level of design sense. This thing will be to hands what a Judas Cradle is to rectums.

No. It's much smaller and it could be more comfortable than the current PSP. Could. As long as it wasn't in my hand I won't judge if it's comfortable. Hopefully they imrpoved the nub somehow also.

Tobor

guina said:
That would bait alot of people to buy it, i will give you that.

The bundle thing might work, but i dont want sony to get away with it doing nothing. I think it is a major issue and they need to give us a way to turn our umd games into digital licenses.

That was my point though, it's not a major issue. Not for the majority of existing PSP owners, or any of the new customers.

Watch that Qore video again, the way he talks about keeping the 3000 on the market for people who want tangible products, that's going to be Sony's stand on this.

Rad Agast

I'm taking a wait and see approach to this one. I hope that's not the final design though since it looks tacky (the screen part looks really bad).

Thrakier said:
No. It's much smaller and it could be more comfortable than the current PSP. Could. As long as it wasn't in my hand I won't judge if it's comfortable. Hopefully they imrpoved the nub somehow also.
No.

That's not saying the PSP isn't already problematic to hold, but the location of the controls is what completely kills this thing.

Balb

With the fact that the PSP Go is ultimately a reskinned PSP without a UMD drive, the only thing that could save it for me is if they increased the battery life to DS levels. That alone would make it somewhat worthwhile, though I hope that they announce some PSP Go exclusive features at E3.

NomarTyme

Balb said:
With the fact that the PSP Go is ultimately a reskinned PSP without a UMD drive, the only thing that could save it for me is if they increased the battery life to DS levels. That alone would make it somewhat worthwhile, though I hope that they announce some PSP Go exclusive features at E3.
Yeah, I don't why the battery life wasn't mentioned in the Qore video.

guina

Tobor said:
That was my point though, it's not a major issue. Not for the majority of existing PSP owners, or any of the new customers.

Watch that Qore video again, the way he talks about keeping the 3000 on the market for people who want tangible products, that's going to be Sony's stand on this.
I think its a case of wait and see what sony will do. I am interested in the PSPGo and i own UMD games so for me it is a major issue.

Oh and about keeping the PSP3000 on te market for people who wants to keep their UMD, thats not my case, i am totaly on the DD bandwagon, but i have umd games, and i want to play all my games on the PSPGo if i ever buy it.

Anyway, i think you are underestimating how many people upgrade their portables at each revision. And thats where my Instafailure theory came from.

Dartastic

MickeyKnox said:
No.

That's not saying the PSP isn't already problematic to hold, but the location of the controls is what completely kills this thing.

How the hell can you tell? Nobody has held one yet! It may look uncomfortable, then wind up working just perfectly in the end. Seriously. Wait for hands on impressions.

scaffa

I like the design, its small and easy to put in the pocket, that is what counts for me with a handheld. But what I'm concerned about is the pricing of the games because it's only on digital distribution. Can someone tell me what a psp game costs now on dd? I assume there won't be any bargains like you get in normal stores or at least not that often?

I'm not that into handheld gaming, I like it for once in a while but don't do it a lot. So for me the pricing for new games is kinda high (30 to 40 euro's) just because I don't play that often. I hope the pricing is right for older and newer games and it would be nice if there still would be a way to get the games in the store somehow.

$h@d0w

Balb said:

I speculate that the exclusion of UMD makes the battery life around 6-8 hours.

Which is on par with the DSi.

UntoldDreams said:
iPod disagrees with you.

You're absolutely wrong and you absolutely missed my point.

I do NOT have to re-buy all of my physical music CDs or DVDs when I get a new iPod.

Why? Because the music industry is a modern, mature market that understands that people want to have the ability to use their media how they see fit.

Not allowing UMD owners to put their UMD games on this new device is an oversight and a sign of stupidity on a higher degree than if Apple made people buy all new albums and films on iTunes with a new Ipod that didn't allow you to rip your own music.

Except with products that have a 2-3x higher price per item.

The PSP Go is stupid. Hardware makers need to relinquish their iron grip on how people use their software, because the market is always going to find a way to make the device do what they want. And that means hacking this new PSP. And that means people going to places that are just a step away from piracy to get their legally purchased games on the device. :lol

And PSP Go will be in the same shitty position that PSP fat is now. It makes ZERO sense why I can't rip my own UMD and PS1 games to a PSP when it fully has that capability. Yeah, I understand it's a business decision, whatever. I'm not concerned about the health and welfare of Sony.

Top Bottom