• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

brokenFUN

Sony needs to allow the user to install another OS if they desired too. Otherwise there is still going to be a lot of home brewing leading up to mass piracy on there platform.

DMeisterJ said:
Now we need to speculate on what's in the box. Obviously, there is a lack of USB ports (read: none) on there, so there is definitely going to have to be a proprietary input -> USB so people can hook the thing up to a comp and DL stuff. Makes no sense to not have that bundled if they are going to have a DD only console, even if you can reach the PS Store on the Go, people don't want to have to buy more ish when they want to use their comp.

Also, Sony can go the iPhone 3G route, and have a power adapter that has a USB slot on one side, so the cable can masquerade as a charging cable too. And expecting people to DL Media Manager is wrong, so include the disc with the retail package too. You give it away as a free download, so it can't be that bad in terms of cost.

So in the box (Value Pack)

PSP Go
Charging/usb cable
power adapter
Game and/or PSN card
Media Manager
Headphones

Seems like a nice package for $249, but better at $229 or $200.
like composite cables in a hd console?
that's leaving money on the table they could get (and appease retailers with) by not bundling the sync cable.

spwolf

The Faceless Master said:
like composite cables in a hd console?
that's leaving money on the table they could get (and appease retailers with) by not bundling the sync cable.

as you are expected to use usb cable to sync for new games, it will be bundled in.

i mentioned it before, it should be same as in cybershot cameras - one input and several outputs.

666 said:
Download only is the end of competitive purchase. You pay $x for this game until we say so with no competition on the specific console kinda sucks. And then you don't own anything. Digital delivery now being a reality is kinda worrying me more & more.
QFT.

good for the industry, bad for consumers.

LCfiner

Tellaerin said:
Larger games on a handheld are no more a mistake on the PSP than they are on, say, the DS. Which is to say, not a mistake at all. Just because people have found there's money to be made hawking shittastic cellphone-style microgames for a couple of bucks apiece, why does this suddenly have to become the dominant model for handheld gaming?

If publishers want to diversify their portfolios and increase profit margins by jumping on that bandwagon in addition to producing more full-fledged titles, that's great. But the reason I'm partial to the PSP in the first place is because it offers me something deeper than the than fifteen-minute time-wasters that are popular on smartphones. :p

It was a mistake because there's not enough people like you to buy those "deeper" games. you're in the minority. to say that you like the PSP is fine. But you need to recognize the market if you're going to comment about "mistakes".

Sony misjudged the market. they fucked up. They made a mistake.

The DS had instant load times, smaller games and more casual experiences and has been a huge success.

The PSP always felt like it was a bigger ordeal to get started due to load times and the specs led devs to produce console ports to games that didn't feel as good as their big brother counterparts and weren't always friendly for playing on the road.

Tobor said:
Have the last 3 years taught you guys nothing?

To the average consumer, 16GB of internal memory is going to be seen as a huge upgrade. Consumers are trained at this point to look at the GB's on every consumer electronics product. Why do you think the GB is so predominantly displayed on the new boxes.

"This one has 16GB, how much does that one have?"

"The 3000 has none, but with a bundle you can get a 4GB card! And this one plays UMD's!"

"What's a UMD? I'll take the one with 16GB."

It's a no brainer, especially if the price difference is $50.
nah, i think consumers will say "where do i put the game" and then the guy says "you download the games from the internet with wifi" and thats when the person says "let me get the one that plays the games, and i want madden 10"

jrricky

Banned
It has finally grown on me...I still hate some button placements though. I guess this is supposed to challenge the iPhone eh?

spwolf said:
as you are expected to use usb cable to sync for new games, it will be bundled in.

i mentioned it before, it should be same as in cybershot cameras - one input and several outputs.
expected? what? you can buy new games right off the PSP. and if you have a PS3, you already have a USB cable, and it also has bluetooth.

brokenFUN said:
Sony needs to allow the user to install another OS if they desired too. Otherwise there is still going to be a lot of home brewing leading up to mass piracy on there platform.

Why? If they do then there will be a lot of home brewing leading up to mass piracy on another platform.

Polk said:
I'm sure you can synch all BT enabled nokia phones via BT (thru Nokia PC Suite).
Sure, every pc has at least one usb port, but not every pc has BT.
And maybe you're right. Synching by BT would make to much hassle.
yeah WinMophones with BT can sync and tether their internet connection via BT as well.

StrikerObi said:
Why? If they do then there will be a lot of home brewing leading up to mass piracy on another platform.

The thinking is that since PS3 let people install Linux, that staved off a lot of progressive hackers who were content with tweaking Linux around.

iammeiam

expected? what? you can buy new games right off the PSP. and if you have a PS3, you already have a USB cable, and it also has bluetooth.
I don't think we've seen a picture yet of a standard USB mini port on the PSP Go? Just the HDMI-looking thing?

They're more likely to bundle in a proprietary transfer cable and cut out a wall-charger, in my opinion.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The thinking is that since PS3 let people install Linux, that staved off a lot of progressive hackers who were content with tweaking Linux around.

PS3 games aren't pirated because it's still too expensive and complicated to pirate blu-ray discs. Even if the PSP allowed alternate operating systems, there would still be a large piracy community.

iammeiam said:
I don't think we've seen a picture yet of a standard USB mini port on the PSP Go? Just the HDMI-looking thing?

They're more likely to bundle in a proprietary transfer cable and cut out a wall-charger, in my opinion.
that's another good idea to please retail... trickle charge/sync cable included, wall charger sold seperately!

WhiteAce said:
what if all PSP Go! games are rental based and really low priced, but with a purchase option?

I think rentals for low priced smaller games would be silly on their part, but I'd be interested.

Raistlin

StrikerObi said:
PS3 games aren't pirated because it's still too expensive and complicated to pirate blu-ray discs.

PS3 games aren't pirated because no one's been able to hack it so far.

Onix said:
PS3 games aren't pirated because no one's been able to hack it so far.

In other words, too complicated. With or without an alternative OS, it would still be easy to pirate PSP games, so people would still do it.

A bad thing about DD that I thought of:

Say goodbye to sales. Sure, they might have $5 off sales every once in awhile (good luck if nintendo goes DD only lol), but say goodbye to awesome B1G1 sales and bargain bin hunting and stuff like that. Oh, and no more second-hand selling or rentals. You'll have to buy all your games at full price.

This isn't a problem on Steam, but I doubt any of the Big 3 will figure it out.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
what if you are 94 year old woman?

heh, well, it's been talked about before by all three parties (+Apple infact)

I don't think it is the right time for such a service, but given sony's book download service is time based rentals it could be something they've thought about.

I like owning stuff, but at the right price, a rental service could be workable.

ruxtpin said:
I prefer JIGATON. ;)
Jiggawhat?

z237.jpg

brokenFUN

StrikerObi said:

I'm going to use the PS3 as an example here. On the PS3 your able to install a Linux Distro. From what I can understand is that there is no piracy on the PS3 because the people who actually have the know how to hack the device have no real motivation because they can already can create and build there own packages and apps within the hardware environment.

If the PSP Go had a similar function, one that looked promising to the current generation of Home brew devs, Sony might be able to dodge the bullet of piracy by keeping the home brew kids off their sidewalk.

Guybrush Threepwood said:

Say goodbye to sales. Sure, they might have $5 off sales every once in awhile (good luck if nintendo goes DD only lol), but say goodbye to awesome B1G1 sales and bargain bin hunting and stuff like that. Oh, and no more second-hand selling or rentals. You'll have to buy all your games at full price.

Isnt Steam notorius for selling great games for only like 1$?

LCfiner

Say goodbye to sales. Sure, they might have $5 off sales every once in awhile (good luck if nintendo goes DD only lol), but say goodbye to awesome B1G1 sales. Oh, and no more second-hand selling or rentals. You'll have to buy all your games at full price.

Eh, there have been sales for games on PSN and XBLA. precedence already exists.

and, depending how much freedom Sony gives publishers for pricing on the new PSP store, there could still be lots of 3rd party sales to increase demand. that tactic gets used on the iPhone App Store (although I don't expect the super low prices of the app store to translate to the PSP store)

Pachinko

Steam says hello here, they have sales every week and when things stop selling much like in a retail store they get permantly discounted or lumped togethor as a huge package. I imagine something similar will happen with psp games over psn , it'll just take time.

Raistlin

StrikerObi said:
In other words, too complicated.

There's a difference between complicated, and unable to currently do it at all.

When its complicated or expensive, you still see pirating ... just in low numbers.

With or without an alternative OS, it would still be easy to pirate PSP games, so people would still do it.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this holds up versus the hackers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The whole no umd thing is off putting, I've got PSP games, I can get great deals on PSP games too....but I can't play them on PSP Go, it's stupid
unless Sony release a UMD to PSP Go accessory it's kinda dumb

Raistlin

Blu_LED said:
Are you guys expecting $19.99 for all the downloadable games, or will they still charge $39.99 even thought we lose the disc, case and manuel?

There's no middle ground? :lol

LCfiner

Blu_LED said:
Are you guys expecting $19.99 for all the downloadable games, or will they still charge $39.99 even thought we lose the disc, case and manuel?

I'm expecting between 5 to 20 for most titles (5 for the small puzzlers and whatnot)

stuff like God of War, MGS or GT will be 30 or more.

Talon

TGO said:
The whole no umd thing is off putting, I've got PSP games, I can get great deals on PSP games too....but I can't play them on PSP Go, it's stupid
unless Sony release a UMD to PSP Go accessory it's kinda dumb
It's been implied that there is a work around solution...maybe a means to "register" your game to a PSN account...

spwolf

brokenFUN said:
I'm going to use the PS3 as an example here. On the PS3 your able to install a Linux Distro. From what I can understand is that there is no piracy on the PS3 because the people who actually have the know how to hack the device have no real motivation because they can already can create and build there own packages and apps within the hardware environment.

you have apsolutly no clue about what you are talking about. PS3 has ability to install Linux distro, but all GPU access has been restricted, hence no pirating or homebrew games.

iammeiam

Blu_LED said:

I don't see overall price decreases for this; some of the games I bought for $19.99 new on UMD over a year ago are $22.99 right now for download.

It is likely that the future of the PSP will be more aimed towards games that would have come out at $19.99 either way, so new releases in general might be cheaper but it won't be because they're DD.

spwolf

LCfiner said:
I'm expecting between 5 to 20 for most titles (5 for the small puzzlers and whatnot)

stuff like God of War, MGS or GT will be 30 or more.

just check on PSN pricing for smaller games, its already there and has been for years.
Full games are priced as full games, smaller games are priced as smaller games.

There are discount deals going on, just not as regular as on Steam.

Epcott

Poor poor retailers, EB, Gamestop, and Gamecrazy will really have a hard time if DD becomes the way of the future. Oh, and department stores like KMart, BestBuy, and Walmart, online distributors like Amazon, and many more... they'll have to stop selling games (or only sell used games for old analog consoles). They only things they'll be able to sell would be hardware.

But I'm sure they'll go down kicking and screaming if it comes to this.
All of those poor poor unemployed clerks, how will they pay for their doritos and oxy?

What a bleak future

Tellaerin

LCfiner said:
It was a mistake because there's not enough people like you to buy those "deeper" games. you're in the minority. to say that you like the PSP is fine. But you need to recognize the market if you're going to comment about "mistakes".

Sony misjudged the market. they fucked up. They made a mistake.

The DS had instant load times, smaller games and more casual experiences and has been a huge success.

But the DS doesn't only offer 'smaller games and more casual experiences'. There are any number of full-fledged games available for the system. Now look at the DS library and tell me again why the people insinuating that bite-sized, cellphone-style games are the only worthwhile experiences for handhelds are right. Feel free to explain away the success of RPG's and other full-length, console-style games on that platform while you're at it, and then maybe you can lecture me on how I 'need to recognize the market'.

LCfiner said:
The PSP always felt like it was a bigger ordeal to get started due to load times and the specs led devs to produce console ports to games that didn't feel as good as their big brother counterparts and weren't always friendly for playing on the road.

And there are your culprits. Load times were an issue (though Sony's done a pretty good job of addressing that in later PSP's, and it won't be an issue at all for DD-based games), and the games could have been better designed for play on the go. That doesn't mean limiting development to games that are cheaper, smaller, and more shallow than the ones available for consoles. It means accomodating on-the-go play by including features like the ability to save your game anywhere, simple things that PSP developers inexplicably seemed to have a hard time grasping.

aoi tsuki

of course they'll still charge $39.99
Of course. DD don't have to be cheaper than tangible media because now you're paying for the convenience of having media on your portable devices along with the convenience of getting it any time you like versus having to drive somewhere or order it.

yeah WinMophones with BT can sync and tether their internet connection via BT as well.
Basically any phone that hasn't had tethering removed by the carrier can sync nowadays. If it weren't for my tethered connection, i wouldn't have one.

Talon- said:
It's been implied that there is a work around solution...maybe a means to "register" your game to a PSN account...
Do PSP games have serial numbers? i didn't think they did, but it's been ages since i've owned one. i don't see this happening though, because it would be too easy to buy games cheaply on UMD, register them to download them, then sell the UMD and screw the next person out of a download.

LCfiner said:
Eh, there have been sales for games on PSN and XBLA. precedence already exists.

and, depending how much freedom Sony gives publishers for pricing on the new PSP store, there could still be lots of 3rd party sales to increase demand. that tactic gets used on the iPhone App Store (although I don't expect the super low prices of the app store to translate to the PSP store)

One or two games getting a temporary price reduction is not the same as the constantly changing retail marketplace. How many $10 PSP games do you expect to see on PSN?

Top Bottom