• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Jomjom

Banned
Torraz said:
Hello,

I just got a cheap psp go with official firmware 5.70. Is there any way to get CFW on this device so I can play undubs, emulators, ps 1 games etc?

I read on a forum that psp go can't be downgraded so I wanted to be extra careful!

I don't mind losing any online capability. I have a (slightly scratched). psp 3000 with 6.xxxx firmware for that.

Thanks a lot

Upgrade to 6.20 and get 6.20 Pro-B9 Permanent.

krpiper

So I have a PSP 3000 with a softmod of 6.35 PRO, should I update or just let sleeping dogs lie or is there any benefits to upgrading

krpiper said:
So I have a PSP 3000 with a softmod of 6.35 PRO, should I update or just let sleeping dogs lie or is there any benefits to upgrading
You can keep upgrading the 6.35 version. So B9 now. No point in upgrading to 6.60.

test_account

XP-39C²
richisawesome said:
Meh, not when I brought GOW:Ghost of Sparta pre-owned for £6 at my work! Unbeatable price. Wouldnt be possible for that price through the PSN.
Fair point, especially talking about price on older games :) There it is definitely cheaper to buy physical copies indeed (maybe some exceptions).

kikonawa

Can you install cfw on any PSPGO (since they are on clearence for 99euro over here) or does it need to have a particular ofw level ?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Melhisedek said:
I just updated to 6.60 Pro-9 perma patch
I can't find a perma patch for 6.60, where did you get one?

Okay, I just picked up a new PSP Go. $140 after tax which is a little more than I wanted to pay but I'm thinking these are just going to get more and more scarce and eventually you'll only be able to find ones at GameStop is kid's smudges and scratches on it.

Ahem. So, the little guy is charging now. Should I be updating it to the latest official firmware now?

And if not, I'm taking it the Media Go thing is how I will buy and download my older games?

I would like to transfer my Birth By Sleep to the PSP Go, so I'm stuck with custome firmware until Disney and Square-Enix figure out that with PS Vita on the horizon, they're going to have new customers lacking access to the game.

Torraz

So, is it possible to switch between different CFWs on the fly?

At the moment I got 6.20 TN-E. But if it's not activated could I simply activate 6.20 pro-b 8 (without the permanency patch) and then quickly switch between them?

I haven't used a permanency patch by the way. So the firmware is removed when I reboot the psp. As such is it fine to change the CFW around in that state?

One of the two games (valkyria chronicles 2 undub) won't work on TN-E. It starts but then the psp shuts off when it checks the memory stick.

Thanks

I'm running a PSP1000 with OFW 6.35... when i try to access the store it tells me i need to software update. When i load up 6.35 Pro (temp version) i can access the store again but is that putting me at risk of bannage or something?

Wondering if i should bother updating to a different CFW too but it's been a while so i'm not sure how to go about it!
I don't really have any reason to either, other than the minor hassle of starting 6.35 pro each time...

xxczx

Momo said:
I cant find a readme <.<
Good luck, PRO never include readmes.
kikonawa said:
Can you install cfw on any PSPGO (since they are on clearence for 99euro over here) or does it need to have a particular ofw level ?
Yup, all PSP Gos have the same motherboard. Recommended firmware is 6.20 PRO B8 Perma
mattiewheels said:
I can't find a perma patch for 6.60, where did you get one?
Only for fully hackable PSPs (1000s and some 2000s) and it's included in the download
the androgyne said:
I'm running a PSP1000 with OFW 6.35... when i try to access the store it tells me i need to software update. When i load up 6.35 Pro (temp version) i can access the store again but is that putting me at risk of bannage or something?
Nope, you don't risk anything.
Torraz said:
I haven't used a permanency patch by the way. So the firmware is removed when I reboot the psp. As such is it fine to change the CFW around in that state?
Yup, it's perfectly fine.

xxczx

6.20 PRO B8 Perma, if you don't have any problems with your current firmware then there is no need to upgrade really.

Torraz

prowler_ said:
Good luck, PRO never include readmes.Yup, all PSP Gos have the same motherboard. Recommended firmware is 6.20 PRO B8 PermaOnly for fully hackable PSPs (1000s and some 2000s) and it's included in the downloadNope, you don't risk anything.Yup, it's perfectly fine.

Thank you very much! 6.20 pro b8 plays everything I have tried fine! Finally I can replay games as undubs :D.

I've currently got my original PSP-2000 which has 6.60 ME 1.3 on it. Can I install the PRO CFW over the ME 1.3? What does it offer over the ME firmware as I'm pretty happy with the ME firmware, it allows me to run PSN games I have bought and emulators?

Also, I'm thinking of picking up a PSP-3000. If I understand correctly, I can install 6.60 PRO CFW on it but it won't be permanent, I would need to restart every time I reboot (which is not a big deal to me).

xxczx

Pierre Levegh said:
I've currently got my original PSP-2000 which has 6.60 ME 1.3 on it. Can I install the PRO CFW over the ME 1.3? What does it offer over the ME firmware as I'm pretty happy with the ME firmware, it allows me to run PSN games I have bought and emulators?
If you have no problems with it, there's no need to change.
Pierre Levegh said:
Also, I'm thinking of picking up a PSP-3000. If I understand correctly, I can install 6.60 PRO CFW on it but it won't be permanent, I would need to restart every time I reboot (which is not a big deal to me).
Currently, you need to run PRO every time you reboot.
But because PSP 3000 can now downgrade to 6.20 (which is the last firmware semi-hackable PSPs could run perma patches), there is probably something in the making.

Ken

I'm thinking of adding CFW to my PSP-3000 to make use of an English patch but I'm not sure where to start as the original post seems somewhat overwhelming and confusing with the amount of information in it. I'm also new to everything about CFW.

I have a PSP-3000 and in the system information it says my system software is v. 6.39. Am I able to add CFW onto it and what would I need to do it and how?

Berksy

Is there any way to change firmware without a PSP battery? My battery died and i am stuck with an older CFW. It does its job mostly but i like experimenting.

linkboy

Berksy said:
Is there any way to change firmware without a PSP battery? My battery died and i am stuck with an older CFW. It does its job mostly but i like experimenting.

If you're already on CFW, you don't need Pandora anymore.

C-Jo

Picked up a PSPGo for cheap today. I haven't messed with CFW since the early days of the PSP-1000. I'm looking forward to ripping this stack of UMDs and checking out what undubs are available.

Berksy

linkboy said:
If you're already on CFW, you don't need Pandora anymore.
Not Pandora. Normal battery. My psp doesn't let me update without a battery :lol I might just buy a third party cheap battery for updates. Otherwise I use the thing with AC adapter.

xxczx

Ken said:
I'm thinking of adding CFW to my PSP-3000 to make use of an English patch but I'm not sure where to start as the original post seems somewhat overwhelming and confusing with the amount of information in it. I'm also new to everything about CFW.

I have a PSP-3000 and in the system information it says my system software is v. 6.39. Am I able to add CFW onto it and what would I need to do it and how?
The OP is old and outdated, don't bother with it.
The simplest way if you don't want to bother with technical crap, get 6.39 PRO-B9.
I just downloaded it to check it out since I'm on another CFW myself
YyHK9.png

Copy these two folders to PSP/GAME, start the update and you'll be on CFW. Every time you turn your PSP off you'll need do it again, so IIRC for a faster boot to CFW, you start the fast recovery.
xbulletholes said:
is anyone able to point me in the direction of an updated walkthrough to ripping my ps1 games to play on my psp 3000? i've 6.20 pro cfw installed at the moment.
It's really not all that hard.
PSX2PSP is my choice of software. There is a readme included, I think.

Ken

prowler_ said:
The OP is old and outdated, don't bother with it.
The simplest way if you don't want to bother with technical crap, get 6.39 PRO-B9.
I just downloaded it to check it out since I'm on another CFW myself
YyHK9.png

Copy these two folders to PSP/GAME, start the update and you'll be on CFW. Every time you turn your PSP off you'll need do it again, so IIRC for a faster boot to CFW, you start the fast recovery.It's really not all that hard.
PSX2PSP is my choice of software. There is a readme included, I think.

Thanks. Will try it out.

Torraz

How does one enter the recovery menu with a non-permanent 6.20 pro b8 firmware?

Shutting the PSP off and holding R still makes it boot to OFW.

Thanks

talkinghead

Neo Member
Is there anything in particular i need to delete to get rid of 6.20 PRO?
I sold my PSP on ebay and wanna put it back to stock condition.
I deleted the three folders (Fastboot, Quickrecovery and Permanent Patch)...will the PSP now be just like stock so the new owner can also do official Firmware updates?

Note: I hadn't used the permanent patch.

xxczx

Torraz said:
How does one enter the recovery menu with a non-permanent 6.20 pro b8 firmware?

Shutting the PSP off and holding R still makes it boot to OFW.

Thanks
I think there is an option in the VSH menu, not sure.
Press select anywhere in the XMB once in CFW.
talkinghead said:
Is there anything in particular i need to delete to get rid of 6.20 PRO?
I sold my PSP on ebay and wanna put it back to stock condition.
I deleted the three folders (Fastboot, Quickrecovery and Permanent Patch)...will the PSP now be just like stock so the new owner can also do official Firmware updates?

Note: I hadn't used the permanent patch.
Yup, they wouldn't know anything ;)

OOOOOOOOOK so i just got a PSPGO and it's on system software 6.37, am i right in assuming my best option is 639PRO-B9??

i tried reading through this but there's too many different models and CFWs and OFWs to keep track of...

basically i'm just wondering if i would have to upgrade to 6.39 OFW first? then run the 639PRO-B9 on it or if i can just run it from my current OFW

I have two fully flashable PSPs in need of updating:

- a PSP-1000 running 5.00 M33-6 (with a Prometheus patch that lets it run Soul Calibur/Gran Turismo, but not KH: BBS)

- a PSP-2000 running 5.50 GEN-D3

What is the best upgrade path for these units? The 1000 is going to be used to run PSP games, PS1 games, emulators and homebrew software (PSPComic, Bookr, etc). The 2000 is probably just running PSP games and PS1 games.

xxczx

captmcblack said:
I have two fully flashable PSPs in need of updating:

- a PSP-1000 running 5.00 M33-6 (with a Prometheus patch that lets it run Soul Calibur/Gran Turismo, but not KH: BBS)

- a PSP-2000 running 5.50 GEN-D3

What is the best upgrade path for these units? The 1000 is going to be used to run PSP games, PS1 games, emulators and homebrew software (PSPComic, Bookr, etc). The 2000 is probably just running PSP games and PS1 games.
You can upgrade both of them to 6.60 PRO (Permanent). Remember to backup your saves (for both PSPs), they might become corrupted due to 5.50 GEN

Erekiddo

Just picked up a PSP Go with OFW 6.37. (I think. Would have to double check)

Haven't dug into it too far yet, but I'm just seeing if there's a way to do CFW and still be able to log into the PS3 to purchase/transfer games? I don't want to make a choice between either/or.

Rich!

NeoNess said:

Haven't dug into it too far yet, but I'm just seeing if there's a way to do CFW and still be able to log into the PS3 to purchase/transfer games? I don't want to make a choice between either/or.

I installed CFW onto my PSPGo. I literally just downloaded an update file, put it onto the memory storage and installed it. Done. Can play emulators and the ISO's ripped from my PSP 1000.

I'd be damned if I could remember how I did it though. doh

xxczx

NeoNess said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30853548&postcount=12255

Upgrade to 6.60 OFW and replace 6.39 PRO with 6.60 PRO.

There is a permanent method with requires you to downgrade but I don't know if PS3 > PSP transfers works (I know MediaGo does though). If you want me to go into more detail let me know

tokkun

I have a PSP-2000 on 5.00 M33 and am thinking about updating.

Should I go for 6.60 Pro or 6.60 ME?
Or is a different fw version better than 6.60?

Berksy

My friend bought a psp3000 which is on 6.39. We used prowler_'s walkthrough and installed non permanent 6.60 cfw which is cool. The question is; can we update it to ofw 6.60 and still use non permanent cfw? (he wants to buy stuff from store.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Berksy said:
My friend bought a psp3000 which is on 6.39. We used prowler_'s walkthrough and installed non permanent 6.60 cfw which is cool. The question is; can we update it to ofw 6.60 and still use non permanent cfw? (he wants to buy stuff from store.)

If it's a temporary firmware (which it should be): Yes.

xxczx

6.60 PRO will be temporary firmware, once in the CFW to make it permanent (for only 1000s and hackable 2000s) you just use the CIPL flasher :p

PaulLFC

Sorry, off topic but this seems to be the most recent PSP thread, and I didn't want to start a new topic just for this: Does anyone have the installer for, or know where I can download, MediaGo 1.8? The download on the official site doesn't work - it just doesn't download anything when I click on it - tried in both Chrome and Firefox. The latest version I can find that will actually download is 1.7.

PaulLFC said:
Sorry, off topic but this seems to be the most recent PSP thread, and I didn't want to start a new topic just for this: Does anyone have the installer for, or know where I can download, MediaGo 1.8? The download on the official site doesn't work - it just doesn't download anything when I click on it - tried in both Chrome and Firefox. The latest version I can find that will actually download is 1.7.

it doesn´t download from the page as you say....

you could install 1.7 and it will update as you open it.. (I have 1.8 updated from 1.7)

Javaman

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to PSN through Media Go? It keeps refering me to a dead page and asking me to accept the new rules. It worked fine last week.

Top Bottom