• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Javaman

I've got 6.35 Pro-B5 temp installed. Do I need to somehow uninstall it before going to official 6.60? Or can I just do a full system poweroff and install from there.

DonMigs85

I've got 6.35 Pro-B5 temp installed. Do I need to somehow uninstall it before going to official 6.60? Or can I just do a full system poweroff and install from there.

I recommend opening the regular CFW file and uninstalling to be sure it's all cleaned out. Then update to 6.60 and after that you can use Pro-B10.

you can edit the ini or cfg file.

but there's been a newer unofficial or beta version since then that has only Cave stuff and has a controller config I think...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got a PSP Go today and put 6.20 Pro firmware on it. I ripped a few of my games from my PSP 2000, but I'm having trouble playing one of the games (Ridge Racer 2). It freezes when I start a race. Is there somewhere I can look for compatibility for ISOs? I hope I can play all my games.

I just installed CFW (6.60 Pro-B10) on my PSP 3000 for the first time, and I'm lost as to what I should do next. I essentially just want to play my PSP on my monitor with a Dual Shock 3, so how do I go about doing that? I've heard of Remotejoy and Remotejoy Lite. Help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Okay, I installed Remotejoy Lite v.19 and it's not working for me too well. :\ There is some definite lag, the sound is messing up a bit, and when I tried to play a game (UMD) the screen went blank. There was still picture on my PSP, though.

xxczx

I got a PSP Go today and put 6.20 Pro firmware on it. I ripped a few of my games from my PSP 2000, but I'm having trouble playing one of the games (Ridge Racer 2). It freezes when I start a race. Is there somewhere I can look for compatibility for ISOs? I hope I can play all my games.
There's no list because it's pretty much 100%. Have you tried ripping it again incase something messed up? (Does it even play on your 2000?)

I just installed CFW (6.60 Pro-B10) on my PSP 3000 for the first time, and I'm lost as to what I should do next. I essentially just want to play my PSP on my monitor with a Dual Shock 3, so how do I go about doing that? I've heard of Remotejoy and Remotejoy Lite. Help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Okay, I installed Remotejoy Lite v.19 and it's not working for me too well. :\ There is some definite lag, the sound is messing up a bit, and when I tried to play a game (UMD) the screen went blank. There was still picture on my PSP, though.
Make sure you have it installed in GAME.txt as well as VSH.txt

Remotejoylite isn't that good tbh.

I have PSP1000 with 6.20 fw installed.

Got a couple questions:

- do I want to install pro lite cfw, tn lite cfw or pro permanent patch on it? can anybody give me a quick rundown what are the differences between them?
- do I need the Pandora battery to perform any of the above?
- I found there are different versions of the pro lite cfw 6.20 like 6.20 PRO B9, 6.20 PRO B8 etc. which B-version should I get?
- if I install the "lite" versions I have full cfw features but only untill I turn off the PSP? then I have to install it again?
- can I run normal, non-ripped UMDs after installing cfw?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

I have PSP1000 with 6.20 fw installed.
- do I want to install pro lite cfw, tn lite cfw or pro permanent patch on it? can anybody give me a quick rundown what are the differences between them?
I haven't used tn lite, but it installs in the flash memory instead of ram. Once you turn it off, you would have to re-install it again. Leaving it in sleep mode is fine to retain cfw on your psp. Permanent is pretty self explanatory.
- do I need the Pandora battery to perform any of the above?
Yes, you would need one to install or re-install cfw.
- I found there are different versions of the pro lite cfw 6.20 like 6.20 PRO B9, 6.20 PRO B8 etc. which B-version should I get?
Latest unless it has compatibility problems with your games. Not familiar with what they changed.
- if I install the "lite" versions I have full cfw features but only untill I turn off the PSP? then I have to install it again?
That is correct.
- can I run normal, non-ripped UMDs after installing cfw?
Yes, you can.

Going on a trip, so I bought a Go. Sooo much better than that old brick. Thanks for the links, I easily got it on custom firmware. It's been a few years since I even touched my old PSP 1000, and I switched to Mac in the interim. Is there a way I can rip ISO's from my PSX disks on Mac and Lion?
No one else has responded to this Q so I thought I'd post my thoughts on it. I don't currently own a Mac, but...

If you've put CFW on your old PSP1000, you can define what storage is accessible via USB mode in the CFW settings menu. You set UMD to be the storage in USB mode then plug the console into a USB port on the Mac where it is set up like any USB mass storage device (memory stick, external harddrive). From there you should see the contents of the UMD disc, and be able to copy that ISO file to your Mac... then you can move it onto the PSPgo via USB or M2 card... I don't think it should be any more complicated than that, and I can see no reason why it would not work...

I ripped my Ridge Racer 2 UMD on my PSP1001CFW and loaded it up on my 6.60PRO PSPgo and it runs just fine - no hangs or glitches of any kind... maybe your ISO file is corrupted?

Zoe

My PSP-1000 is still on one of the M-33 CFW's. It should still be able to rip newest UMD's, right?

And just curious, has anybody ever figured out how to strip the DRM from PSN versions?

No one else has responded to this Q so I thought I'd post my thoughts on it. I don't currently own a Mac, but...

If you've put CFW on your old PSP1000, you can define what storage is accessible via USB mode in the CFW settings menu. You set UMD to be the storage in USB mode then plug the console into a USB port on the Mac where it is set up like any USB mass storage device (memory stick, external harddrive). From there you should see the contents of the UMD disc, and be able to copy that ISO file to your Mac... then you can move it onto the PSPgo via USB or M2 card... I don't think it should be any more complicated than that, and I can see no reason why it would not work...

I actually meant my old Playstation One games. I think I figured out a way to do it, but then the game I ripped (Rollcage Stage II) was one of the ones that simply doesn't work and I decided to just play the games I had ripped long ago. I guess Prometeus is still the best bet, although I was thinking there'd be something more recent. Thanks for the reply though!

My PSP-1000 is still on one of the M-33 CFW's. It should still be able to rip newest UMD's, right?

And just curious, has anybody ever figured out how to strip the DRM from PSN versions?

My PSP1001 is on one of those early custom firmwares too, and I ripped Third Birthday, FFIV and Kingdom Hearts with it for use on my PSPgo-660PRO without any issues - everything works great...

What was the size of the ISO? When I ripped my copy, at first it was surprisingly small. Then I went back to the XMB and let the UMD preview load up. After it did, I went back to the USB connection and the file size was higher. Now it works like a charm! If I recall, the file size was around 1.4 GB before I compressed it.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have been out of the cfw scene for a while. Last time I touched a PSP was long before ofw 6.0 even came out. I just recently bought a PSP 1000 with cfw 5.50 on it (it wont arrive til tomorrow, so I dont know any more specifics than that at the moment).

Just wondering what kind of cfw is out there now that I can upgrade to? Is there one that allows me to log into my PSN account, because I do have quite a few PSOne titles, Minis, and PSP games on my account. I don't want to go directly over to ofw, cuz I know there are some freeware stuff I want to use, but I'd like to still access account games.

I see a lot of people on here talking about cfw 6.xx + and that is definitely beyond my knowledge, and all the PSP cfw sites I had bookmarked in my browser all seem to be outdated and "page not found", so I'm not sure where else to turn. I kinda need a crash course in what's happened since 5.50, and what I can do.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So I had a PSP-2000 with Prometheus 5.50 Gen-D, and I went ahead like an idiot and installed the OFW 6.60 and then installed the new PRO 6.60 CFW. It installed and rebooted into custom firmware alright, but then I hard powered off, turned it back on to OFW, and then launched the Fast Recovery to boot into CFW. It goes black screen, hangs, then force powers off. It does the same thing even after I use the update software to launch it, to uninstall/re-install it, everything.

Am I totally fucked because I forgot to uninstall the 5.50 Gen-D first? I can't even launch the 5.50 Gen-D installer to remove it anymore from my OFW cause it says the data is corrupt. Any recourse here?

(edit: I solved it, I think the problem was that I had enabled a Game Categories plugin that I could no longer access the configuration menu to disable. I just edited the text file in the Memory Card root and it solved the problem! In case anyone else is running into this.)

xxczx

So I had a PSP-2000 with Prometheus 5.50 Gen-D, and I went ahead like an idiot and installed the OFW 6.60 and then installed the new PRO 6.60 CFW. It installed and rebooted into custom firmware alright, but then I hard powered off, turned it back on to OFW, and then launched the Fast Recovery to boot into CFW. It goes black screen, hangs, then force powers off. It does the same thing even after I use the update software to launch it, to uninstall/re-install it, everything.

Am I totally fucked because I forgot to uninstall the 5.50 Gen-D first? I can't even launch the 5.50 Gen-D installer to remove it anymore from my OFW cause it says the data is corrupt. Any recourse here?
You're not fucked.
Installing OFW reflashes the PSP so GEN would be completely removed.

You're OK to use the CIPLFlasher btw, which gives you 'permanent' CFW but 6.20 is better if you're going the permanent root on PRO.

SOLDIER

So I've been given a free code to download Persona 2 off of PSN, but it's for the European version. This isn't a problem since I have a separate UK account, but I just learned the PSP only lets me store one account at a time. I have to sign into my UK account to play Persona 2, but this locks me out of accessing the games downloaded off my NA account.

Is there a way through homebrew to let me access both types of games under one account, or perhaps a way to store multiple accounts?

depward

I've never put CFW on my PSPs but now I'm looking into it so I can do some video recording of me playing Monster Hunter. However...

I can't find a super easy, step-by-step tutorial on how to install CFW.

Seriously. Every set of instructions is super confusing to me. What I want is like:

Step 1 - Download this, this and this.

Step 2 - put this on your psp here.

Step 3 - put this on your psp there.

Step 4 - go to x on the menu and hit x.

I also have a PSPgo running 6.38... so I'm not sure if that's able to have CFW put on it.

Halp

xxczx

I've never put CFW on my PSPs but now I'm looking into it so I can do some video recording of me playing Monster Hunter. However...

I can't find a super easy, step-by-step tutorial on how to install CFW.

Seriously. Every set of instructions is super confusing to me. What I want is like:

Step 1 - Download this, this and this.

Step 2 - put this on your psp here.

Step 3 - put this on your psp there.

Step 4 - go to x on the menu and hit x.

I also have a PSPgo running 6.38... so I'm not sure if that's able to have CFW put on it.

Halp
6.38? You mean 6.39?

Download this put PROUPDATE and FastRecovery folders in PSP/GAME.

Start Pro Update and follow the screen prompts, you're now in CFW.

Every time you turn your PSP off, you'll have to go into CFW again (unless you feel like downgrading to 6.20) so just boot the Fast Recovery and you'll be in CFW again.

depward

6.38? You mean 6.39?

Download this put PROUPDATE and FastRecovery folders in PSP/GAME.

Start Pro Update and follow the screen prompts, you're now in CFW.

Every time you turn your PSP off, you'll have to go into CFW again (unless you feel like downgrading to 6.20) so just boot the Fast Recovery and you'll be in CFW again.

Very cool - thanks!

The Lamp

So I have a PSP-2000, pre- TaV8330 or whatever it's called motherboard.

I don't remember how, but I somehow installed Prometheus 5.50 CFW on my PSP just using ChickHEN and no Pandora Battery. This allowed me to have permanent CFW without having to restart it every time I turn on the PSP.

But I want to get rid of custom firmware. There's nothing useful about it for me. I can't get online mutiplayer to ever work, and my favorite game Kingdom Hearts BBS doesn't let me install data to the memory stick when it's on CFW. So I just want to get rid of it (unless someone can tell me how to upgrade to a new version without a Pandora battery that doesn't have these bullshit problems...which I would appreciate since all the online guides for installing PSP CFW are convoluted and disorganized and I get lost).

So if there's no other CFW I can get, how do I restore my PSP to factory settings and get the newest OFW?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
iDOLM@STER PSP is the first game I've played that actually detected that I'm not using official firmware and won't let me proceed past the title screen!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

MBison

This is probably answered a million times in this thread so I apologize and appreciate in advance any help you provide.

I want to get a PSP3000 core for $99 and put CFW on it but I always remember it being super complicated and complex with tons of brick fear. Is it easier now? Is there a newb friendly step by step guide applicable to a currently bought PSP?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
iDOLM@STER PSP is the first game I've played that actually detected that I'm not using official firmware and won't let me proceed past the title screen!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

I'm sure there is a way around that...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
This can be really jarring.

I don't think the OP has a guiide to CFW a psp go.

I have a psp go that is on 6.60, am i screwed?

Ramune

I know my copies of the DJ MAX Portable games past the 1st game (not sure about the 2nd as I don't own that one) will actually seem like it's loading and then shut down the PSP if it detects CFW files on your memory stick. Quick fix for that is to simply take the stick out once the "PSP" screen fades and then put it back in after 3 seconds or so. It'll load then! Try it and see if this works for you and Idolm@ster!

xxczx

Some sort of plugin or modification I need?
Update to 6.60, it's got CFW so it's no problem.
I know my copies of the DJ MAX Portable games past the 1st game (not sure about the 2nd as I don't own that one) will actually seem like it's loading and then shut down the PSP if it detects CFW files on your memory stick. Quick fix for that is to simply take the stick out once the "PSP" screen fades and then put it back in after 3 seconds or so. It'll load then! Try it and see if this works for you and Idolm@ster!
You don't need to do that anymore.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I just tried this a few times and it didn't work. It still detected the CFW

Update to 6.60, it's got CFW so it's no problem.You don't need to do that anymore.

I'm on Prometheus 5.50-3 though. I'm not sure I can upgrade to 6.6 :/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
At this point, from the standpoint of homebrew and custom firmware fun, is there any advantages of getting a PSP 3000 over a PSPgo?

I have a sears giftcard (who gets a tech guy a sears giftcard!?), and and I am lusting over a white PSPgo but I know K-Mart (lol) also has the PSP 3000 incase there's some advantage?

I sort of hate the UMD form factor, and I like that the go has the built-in memory without worrying about sony's money printing memory cards.

At this point, from the standpoint of homebrew and custom firmware fun, is there any advantages of getting a PSP 3000 over a PSPgo?

I have a sears giftcard (who gets a tech guy a sears giftcard!?), and and I am lusting over a white PSPgo but I know K-Mart (lol) also has the PSP 3000 incase there's some advantage?

I sort of hate the UMD form factor, and I like that the go has the built-in memory without worrying about sony's money printing memory cards.

I prefer the 3000 form because of the size of the screen and the controls. The PSPgo is nice for the form factor, but the buttons and d-pad are a complete turn off because of how shallow they are. Ultimately if I could have gotten a go for cheap I would have bought it as a secondary only to get the cradle and use it sort of like a console with the TV-out and a DS3.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Here's something I'm not completely sure how to do.
Normally I just rip my UMDs and kept them in my HDD for storage.

I decided to use Media Go to download some of my PSX and minis titles and was hoping to store them in a similar fashion/remove DRM, etc.

They download as pkg files which I was able to decrypt with another program. But how do I make these then playable? I want to store them with my ripped files as well.

hoverX

I've got an original model PSP with the original firmware still on it. I haven't played it in ages but was thinking about picking up some games for it since I haven't touched it in years. I remember back when I first bought it, having the original firmware was of value to those interested in homebrew, custom firmware etc.

Is this still the case? Do I have a psp of greater value than usual or should i just buy some new games and update the firmware.

(sorry if this seem stupid, i haven't really been following the psp scene in years)

edit: i'm not really interested in putting custom firmware or running any hacks or anything like that but if it's worth something i might sell it.

I've got an original model PSP with the original firmware still on it. I haven't played it in ages but was thinking about picking up some games for it since I haven't touched it in years. I remember back when I first bought it, having the original firmware was of value to those interested in homebrew, custom firmware etc.

Is this still the case? Do I have a psp of greater value than usual or should i just buy some new games and update the firmware.

(sorry if this seem stupid, i haven't really been following the psp scene in years)

edit: i'm not really interested in putting custom firmware or running any hacks or anything like that but if it's worth something i might sell it.

You can hack any PSP with anything now, so a first model isn't really any more valuable (if anything, it's less valuable now than before, in that regard).

The Lamp

So does anyone know what I can do? How do I revert to original firmware? I can't seem to get rid of my CFW and I want to be able to install BBS.

So does anyone know what I can do? How do I revert to original firmware? I can't seem to get rid of my CFW and I want to be able to install BBS.

Are you on one of the CFWs that isn't permanent? Just do a full reboot.

Also, if you own BBS and have a big enough memory stick, just rip the ISO and run it that way.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What was the size of the ISO? When I ripped my copy, at first it was surprisingly small. Then I went back to the XMB and let the UMD preview load up. After it did, I went back to the USB connection and the file size was higher. Now it works like a charm! If I recall, the file size was around 1.4 GB before I compressed it.
Oh I just saw this here. My file is ~1.4 GB. I haven't tried on my 2000, but it'll load the game, and then freeze just seconds into a race. I just copied the ISO folder from the UMD drive using Windows explorerer. Maybe I'll try waiting for it to load and give that a shot.

When I rip Pangya, I get a black screen when it loads. This I know for sure plays on my 2000. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Oh I just saw this here. My file is ~1.4 GB. I haven't tried on my 2000, but it'll load the game, and then freeze just seconds into a race. I just copied the ISO folder from the UMD drive using Windows explorerer. Maybe I'll try waiting for it to load and give that a shot.

When I rip Pangya, I get a black screen when it loads. This I know for sure plays on my 2000. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Pangya has to be patched to work.

I always wanted to play some Snes games on my PSP and just found out today without having to mod my PSP or buying the pandora battery. Still there is no GBA emulator available for my 6.6 FW version on my PSP. Im having a craving to play Pokemon so baaaaad. Ill just have to live with Earthbound and other awesome Snes games on it. Still it was great.

Top Bottom