• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

homez99

Everything went smoothly for me, but veterans may want to read the Popsloader install carefully because there's a new step in making it work, which is adding the impose.prx file from 4.01 to the Popsloader folder, which has to be added regardless of which version of Pops you want to run. Other than that, it's business as usual. Oh, and network update didn't work in 5.00M33 so you'll have to get M33-2 the old fashioned way (remember the new Popsloader requires the 5.00M33-2 core).

colinp

Banned
What or where is psardumper? I used the Catb50 installer for my Slim from the op. I just upgraded to 5.00M33-2, but am kinda confused as to how to get the impose.prx file...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't gotten around to figuring out the version.txt goodies for now, but from what I've read, it seems like you'll need the one extracted from 5.01 OFW for now.

alr1ghtstart said:

That's an old and janky version of PSARDumper.

I recommend this one:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/RSPsar-Dumper-v3-5-support-for-FW-4-05-last-public-update/pg/49/aid/122139

Or this one:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Ka-chow-Dark-AleX-releases-PSP-FW-5-00-PSARDUMPER/pg/49/aid/124925

Or possibly both. I'm using the first one I posted here. It supports up to firmware 4.05, which is really all that you need for the new POPSLoader, currently. It also has a pretty user friendly interface, unlike older PSARDumpers.

The second one I linked to supports 5.00, but I don't know how user friendly it is or how well it handles older firmwares.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
I haven't gotten around to figuring out the version.txt goodies for now, but from what I've read, it seems like you'll need the one extracted from 5.01 OFW for now.

That's an old and janky version of PSARDumper.

I recommend this one:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/RSPsar-Dumper-v3-5-support-for-FW-4-05-last-public-update/pg/49/aid/122139

Or this one:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Ka-chow-Dark-AleX-releases-PSP-FW-5-00-PSARDUMPER/pg/49/aid/124925

Or possibly both. I'm using the first one I posted here. It supports up to firmware 4.05, which is really all that you need for the new POPSLoader, currently. It also has a pretty user friendly interface, unlike older PSARDumpers.

The second one I linked to supports 5.00, but I don't know how user friendly it is or how well it handles older firmwares.

Thank you! Do I only need to install the eboot file, or do I need to include the RS folder as well....? If I do, where do I put the RS folder?

Mejilan

The RS folder goes in the root.
Version 3.4 came with a readme (which I still use), but 3.5 did not. Let me see if I can dig it up for you.

As far as I know, the only significant difference between 3.4 and 3.5 is that 3.4 supported up to OFW 4.0, whereas 3.5 supports up to firmware 4.05.

Edit - Nevermind. It isn't a readme, just a change log.

Edit 2 -
RSPSARDumper folder goes in x:/PSP/Game.
RS folder goes in x:/
The OFW firmware you want to extract data from must be renamed to EBOOT.PBP and goes in x:/
You'll want to decrypt and dump all (hit Square to execute). The files you'll need will be grabbed from:
x:/DUMP/F0/KD
and
x:/DUMP/F0/VSH/MODULE

colinp

Banned
Ah ok, so I need to download each of those official firmwares and rip each of the files mentioned...?

I thought I just had to upgrade, but apparently not? Damn, cfw can be really f'ing bizzare (but oh so worth the trouble!).

Mejilan

If you have the older version of POPSLoader set up, you do NOT need to re-rip the files for the older firmwares, just rip the files from those that you are missing.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
If you have the older version of POPSLoader set up, you do NOT need to re-rip the files for the older firmwares, just rip the files from those that you are missing.

K, so since I already upgreded to CFW 5, I need to download OFW 4.01 and JUST rip that, right?

Mejilan

Read the readme that came with the new POPSLoader. 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01, if you want ALL of the new POPSLoader functionality.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Read the readme that came with the new POPSLoader. 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01, if you want ALL of the new POPSLoader functionality.

Right! Thanks Meji, I think I am too tired to give it a go tonight. I appreciate your help and will let you know how it goes!

Mejilan

No problem! I've actually finished dumping, renaming, and setting up the files. But I'm too busy hacking Red Squirrel's Alternative VSHMenu 6.1 into my 5.00 M33-2 to test the new POPSLoader yet. Soon!

Mejilan

Blastprocessing's tutorial is obsolete. Use it only to rip files from older firmwares (up to and including 3.72). For 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01 POPS files, check out the readme that came with the new POPSLoader archive, and my own posts from an hour or two ago. You'll also need a new PSARDumper. The one recommended by Blastprocessing is also quite obsolete.

Looks like cwcheat hasn't been updated for 5.00 yet. Too bad. It can see cwcheat.prx but not cwcheatpops.prx. :( I've been cheesing my way through FF9 and this will totally interrupt me.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I just updated to M33-2 and when I try to log in to my PSN account it says "A system software update for the PSP system is required."

Mejilan

CWCheat and CWCheatpops (0.2.2 Revision D) work just fine for me.
The PSN store now requires 5.01. See below.

-------------

Alright. Here's what I've done:
1) Upgraded from 4.01 M33-2 to 5.00 M33-2

2) Upgraded my old 3.80/3.90 M33 POPSLoader to the new 5.00 POPSLoader. I now have access to POPS versions 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.30, 3.40, 3.51, 3.52, 3.71, 3.72, 3.80, 3.90, 4.01, and 5.00 (from the flash). I've tested the english fan-translation with POPS 3.72, 3.80, 3.90, 4.01, and 5.00, so the plugin is definitely working as it should!

3) Flashed Red Squirrels Alternative VSHMenu 6.1 to my PSP. Works perfectly with this new firmware. Way, way better than the stock M33 VSHMenu.

4) Dumped the version.txt from 5.01 Official and flashed it to my PSP. By disabling the M33 Network Update (required due to a bug) and enabling the version.txt functionality in the Recovery Console, I can now access the PSN store.

5) Dumped the bug-fixed memory stick driver from 5.01 Official and flashed it to my PSP, applying the only real upgrade from 5.00 Official to 5.01 Official to 5.00 M33-2. 5.00 Official and 5.00 M33-1/2 all share the same flaw that makes things go haywire with those of us using memory sticks of 8GB or 16GB capacities.

6) Tied my PSP to my existing PSN account. Verified that earlier PSP-compatible purchases are available for download. Tested PSP ISOs. Tested PSOne EBOOTs. Tested CWCheat for both PSP and PSOne games.

Step 4 was basically just for fun. A glitch in the firmware requires that you disable the M33 Network Update in order to get the versions.txt foolery to take. Dark-Alex will release 5.00 M33-3 tomorrow, as well as a plugin to get around Sony's 5.01-requirement for accessing the PSN store.

So far, so awesome. Now to update the OP with some of the new goodies released today. Then back to Castlevania.

What's the difference with this "Alternate VSH menu"? I usually don't tinker with D_A stuff, but I'm a little curious (since I know you don't fuck around with shit).

Mejilan

Alternative VSHMenu allows you to:
Toggle CPU/BUS XMB speeds.
Toggle CPU/BUS Game speeds.
Toggle between the various USB modes.
Toggle between the various UMD driver modes.
Enable/disable M33 Network Update.
Enable/disable the PIC1/PIC0 functionality.
Enable/disable USB Charge.
Enable/disable Auto-USB (and it did it before it was formally added to 5.00)
Shutdown PSP.
Reboot PSP.
Sleep PSP.

Assign a button shortcut to a program of your choice from the XMB.
Allow you to take screenshots of the XMB with a button press.

Etc.

It's basically the regular M33 VSHMenu with a ton of other features, most (but not all) pulled from the Recovery Console. It's just a way more convenient menu.

Ryu1999

Mejilan said:
Blastprocessing's tutorial is obsolete. Use it only to rip files from older firmwares (up to and including 3.72). For 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01 POPS files, check out the readme that came with the new POPSLoader archive, and my own posts from an hour or two ago. You'll also need a new PSARDumper. The one recommended by Blastprocessing is also quite obsolete.

There is no readme included in the popsloader archive :-\

Schrade

Ryu1999 said:
There is no readme included in the popsloader archive :-\

http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1847
popsloader for 5.00 M33-2 and up (until Sony screws it again)

Requeiments:

- 5.00 M33-2, it won't work in 5.00 M33-1

New:
- Works on 5.00.
- Added 3.80, 3.90 and 4.01.

- Upgrade from older version of popsloader:

* Copy seplugins to memstick root folder replacing files.
* Dump 4.01 (choose decrypt all option in psardumper) and copy the file impose.prx in /seplugins/popsloader/ with that name (impose.prx, without numbers)

- Install from scratch:

* Copy seplugins to memstick root folder replacing files.
* Dump the desired firmware to extract the files needed. (choose decrypt all option in psardumper)

Thse are the files needed for each firmware:

3.02-3.03: /kd/pops.prx, /kd/popsman.prx, /kd/meaudio.prx, /vsh/module/pafmini.prx
3.10-3.30: /kd/pops.prx, /kd/popsman.prx, /vsh/module/pafmini.prx
3.40-4.01: /kd/pops.prx, /kd/popsman.prx, /vsh/module/pafmini.prx, /vsh/module/libpspvmc.prx

* Copy the files to /seplugins/popsloader with firmware version as suffix (e.g. popsman.prx -> popsman380.prx)
* Additionally, no matter which pops you want to run, you have to get impose.prx from 4.01 and
copy it to /seplugins/popsloader/ with the name impose.prx (no suffix).

Mirror1: http://rapidshare.com/files/156595806/popsloader500.rar
Mirror2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ROBGNH5B

Hey guys, is it possible to go to the Playstation store with CFW, because I just updated to the newest CFW, and it says I need a software update.

Edit: Never mind, I solved the problem :D

Edit 2: Never mind, I haven't solved the problem, WILL SOMEONE HELP ME :D

Mejilan

Dragona Akehi said:
I was meaning to ask, do you need to keep redoing the fatmsmod patch with each firmware update?

If you were careful, you could apply the 3.90 M33 fatmsmod patch to 4.01 M33. (If you fucked up, insta-brick). I haven't heard of anyone doing so with 5.00 M33 yet. And I'm not brave enough to be the first to try. BTW, check your PMs.

KevinCow

Banned
Is there somewhere I could just send my PSP to have them install CFW? This all just seems so damn complicated and risky if you don't know exactly what you're doing. I don't want to screw up and brick it, but it sure would be nice to be able to carry some of my favorite games around with me.

colinp

Banned
What is the benefit of having lots of different versions of popsloader?

Is it illegal to provide those files already dumped...? Like the impose.prx from 4.01 and all the other prx files from the other versions... Aren't they publicly available (after being dumped I supposed) from OFW? Hypothetically couldn't you just provide a file with all of them?

iceatcs

Shadowlink123 said:
Hey guys, is it possible to go to the Playstation store with CFW, because I just updated to the newest CFW, and it says I need a software update.

Edit: Never mind, I solved the problem :D

Edit 2: Never mind, I haven't solved the problem, WILL SOMEONE HELP ME :D
because the store now require 5.01

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
colinp said:
Is it illegal to provide those files already dumped...? Like the impose.prx from 4.01 and all the other prx files from the other versions... Aren't they publicly available (after being dumped I supposed) from OFW? Hypothetically couldn't you just provide a file with all of them?

I'm not too sure. Need to have a talk with Dragona & Mejilan to see if we can link to a complete set of popsloader files for all POPS from 3.00 to 4.01FW.

eznark

Banned
so, bottom line. I'm playing DQVII, am I okay to update to 5.0 m-33 or should I wait til I finish the game to make sure I don't lose anything?

sajj316

Still hesitant to upgrade my downgrade ;) ... Running 4.01 M33-2 and it works like a dream! I like the fact that PS Store is accessible but I'll wait for things to settle down.

centracore

Hmm, looks like I'll be installing 5.00 M33-3 tonight.

I installed 5.00 M33-2 last night and extracted all the needed popstation .prx files from firmwares 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.30, 3.40, 3.51, 3.52, 3.71, 3.72, 3.80, 3.90 and 4.01. So far everything is working awesome!

Mejilan

So I think the time has come to finally craft a comprehensive POPSLoader plugin setup tutorial. I'll work on it tonight, perhaps.

eznark said:
so, bottom line. I'm playing DQVII, am I okay to update to 5.0 m-33 or should I wait til I finish the game to make sure I don't lose anything?

You can safely upgrade to 5.00 M33-3, and through a properly configured POPSLoader, continue to play DQVII using POPS 3.72.

colinp said:
What is the benefit of having lots of different versions of popsloader?

The benefit? Maximum compatibility. No single version of POPS is a best-fit for any significant portion of games out there. A fully configured POPSLoader frees you up to load up PSOne games with just about any version of POPS created, REGARDLESS of your current firmware, boosting your PSOne playback compatibility to the highest currently possible.

Yes. It is illegal to distribute the various files and .PRXes included in Sony's official firmwares. That's why Dark-Alex doesn't provide them. Also why he doesn't include the specific files he needs from the official firmwares with his custom firmware installers. It's up to us to fill in those particular blanks.

KevinCow said:
Is there somewhere I could just send my PSP to have them install CFW? This all just seems so damn complicated and risky if you don't know exactly what you're doing. I don't want to screw up and brick it, but it sure would be nice to be able to carry some of my favorite games around with me.

If you're local and don't mind a visit, I can help you out, as I've helped out other GAFfers. If you'd like to pay for shipping back and forth, you can send it to me and I can work my magic. No charge (save for the two-way shipping expenses). Optionally, if you have the requisite tools and only require some online guidance, I can help you out via an IM session.

No45

Mejilan said:
So I think the time has come to finally craft a comprehensive POPSLoader plugin setup tutorial. I'll work on it tonight, perhaps.
Oddly enough, I'd decided to spend tonight working out how to do just that (Although I think I'll manage it without too much fuss). Consider this advance thanks for saving me the trouble. :)

centracore

Mejilan said:

That would probably be very useful to have around Mejilan.. I know the thing that gave me the most trouble yesterday was what firmware versions I needed the .prx files from. I couldn't find a list so I extracted the required files out of all firmware versions 3.00 and above - then once I started up popsloader I wrote down the firmwares it listed and deleted the ones not needed.

3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.30, 3.40, 3.51, 3.52, 3.71, 3.72, 3.80, 3.90 and 4.01 is the final list I ended up with.

About the popsloader tutorial:

1) Awesome if you do it. This thread has so much info on how to set up just about everything anyone would want in CFW and that would be just one more thing.

2) It would be great to include a list of popsloaders that work with certain games. Doesn't need to be robust, but if people just report what version they used to get through a certain game with no trouble, it would be a great list to have.

3) Small question: How do I change popsloader versions on a game I have already chosen a version for? I have Xenogears on my PSP and I already selected 3.XX (can't remember which) and now I want to try a different version. I couldn't seem to find the option for that before I left for work this morning.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
prodystopian said:
3) Small question: How do I change popsloader versions on a game I have already chosen a version for? I have Xenogears on my PSP and I already selected 3.XX (can't remember which) and now I want to try a different version. I couldn't seem to find the option for that before I left for work this morning.

Hold down R-Trigger when you have pressed X to run the PSX game to bring up the POPS menu again.

Mejilan

Seems like there's enthusiasm for a tutorial. It shall be done, then.

prodystopian said:
2) It would be great to include a list of popsloaders that work with certain games. Doesn't need to be robust, but if people just report what version they used to get through a certain game with no trouble, it would be a great list to have.

http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List

As per Navanman, just hold down R when launching the game. Dark-Alex rather likes that as his "shift" key.

Aske

Mejilan said:
5) Dumped the bug-fixed memory stick driver from 5.01 Official and flashed it to my PSP, applying the only real upgrade from 5.00 Official to 5.01 Official to 5.00 M33-2. 5.00 Official and 5.00 M33-1/2 all share the same flaw that makes things go haywire with those of us using memory sticks of 8GB or 16GB capacities.

Ugh. I only have 8GB sticks. This is why I'm still living in fear on 3.90 M33-3 - I'd have been screwed if I'd upgraded. Is this being fixed in 5.00 M33-3, or would I have to figure out how to dump the bug fixed memory stick driver from 5.01 Official as you did?

And while I know 5.00 M33-3 will include a workaround for the 5.01 PSN Store issue, will it also let me play PSP games that require 5.01 Official? Or would I need to work some magic with that too?

I hate feeling like such a neo-Luddite, but while some new features are tempting, I can do just about everything I want to with my PSP in its current 3.90 M33-3 state. Dong literally anything else feels like flying too close to the sun...

Top Bottom