• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Gonna istall the new POPSLoader later.

But Meijan, have they released a new UMPS for 5.00 M33 yet?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Bloody hell folks. Did you dump the file yourself or download it from the internet?
What size is the fatsmod.prx file you flashed? It should be 185K

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Actually I bricked mine following your guide navanman haha. I was trying to write to flash with UPMS and screen went blank for a while. Probably should have waited longer but I tried resetting and now no luck...

I'm running 4.01 M33 and can get to the recovery menu but the "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PSP" function doesn't seem to work. I tried it with hellcat's recovery flasher to no avail. Any ideas?

navanman

suffah said:
Actually I bricked mine following your guide navanman haha. I was trying to write to flash with UPMS and screen went blank for a while. Probably should have waited longer but I tried resetting and now no luck...

I'm running 4.01 M33 and can get to the recovery menu but the "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PSP" function doesn't seem to work. I tried it with hellcat's recovery flasher to no avail. Any ideas?

DOH DOH DOH, That guide is obselete now and will brick your PSP if its on FW greater than 3.71 M33. Haven't had the time to update it.

If you have a Pandora Battery you can recover it easily with UPMT for PC
http://downloads.psp4noobz.com/download.php?view.60

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Damn, no wonder it bricked. :(

No, I don't have a pandora's battery. Can I make one with a bricked phat or unmodded slim?

navanman

If you really really want to, you can disect your phat PSP battery and cut pin1 on the eeprom. Loads of guides on the internet on it with pics to help you along.
Look for something like "hard-mod psp battery"

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I don't have much of a choice I guess. Not a single person I know owns a PSP, much less a modded one.

If I hardmod the battery can I still use it normally?

suffah said:
I don't have much of a choice I guess. Not a single person I know owns a PSP, much less a modded one.

I don't think so. You could also buy one of these:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/PSP-MAX-Power-TOOL__EF000536.aspx

Mine still isn't working, I think the recovery eboot won't run because the fatsmod is screwed up. I'll Pandora it but I'll have to wait a while to do it since I don't have my battery here. :(

navanman

suffah said:

You may be able to fix the pin again afterwards, if not you can use the Pandora Battery as normal battery in any CFW PSP. I do, have mine as Pandora Battery at all times.

You can get Pandora cheap here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15153
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15612 (Slim only)

edit:
Back in a few hours, don't brick anymore PSPs please..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
really wish m33-3 would show up on network update. any reason why it wouldnt?

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
So is there or isn't there a fastmsmod for 5.0 M33-3? My Star Ocean MS rip is running kinda slow in certain places when I'm in some villages. :\

I just updated my PSPhat to 5.00 M33-3 and I still can't run demos downloaded from my PS3. Am I missing something, or is it just not supported yet?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally got around to updating it the slow manual way, but I like doing it like that. Gives me a bit more control. Now I just need to reconfigure my PS1 games :(

The_Joint

So I checked out the thread a few days ago. It's looking good. I've learned never ever take the first one because that's just Beta. But DA is usually pretty fast with the updates. I do make a Pandora Battery and CatB50 whatever it is stick. Oh boy am I glad I did that. Keep up the good work Mejilan.

Who the fuck has the default going to the Sony Updater! I updated and everything on my stick is invisible. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Break out the Pandora and the magic stick. I root around and find the other stick I used to upgrade to 4.01. Okay, all is well with the world in a bad and wrong kind of way.

So I know what I did wrong (hold the stupid R button down and make sure it defaults to CFW updating). So I figure while I'm at it I'll install CWCHEAT. That's right, the mighty Yian Kut-Ku will die this time, and painfully, and over and over again. But what, after I follow the fucking instructions "Press X to enable the SEPLUGINS" I exit and I can see the icons for the games but cannot run diddly squat... and all of my video is gone. What?

Oh, I'm getting real good at this, downgrade the bastard to 3.80, back to 4.01, net update to 5.00 m33-3. WAIT, WHAT THE FUCK, all of the SAVEDATA was deleted! Nooooooooo!!! FUCK! Four months of Hot Shots Golf OT2! Many months of Taiko 1 and 2. And worst of all my DJMAX FEVER WON"T RUN!!!!! I can't live without DJMAX FEVER! For fucks sake, Goddammit, this is stupid beyond belief. And it's not just me, even if I am a techie whore masochist confirmed.

So Pandora, stick, 3.80 and then 4.01 and I'm back to where I started from, yet, minus one months worth of save files. Yeah, luckily I did find a back up of the stick I did last month. But it still sucks. Lost over 100 matches of golf, 20 levels in DJMAX and gold starring all the easy and medium songs on Taiko (so I can get all the medals!). And then I lost a few missions from MHP2, but I guess that's penance for trying to install CWCheat. I love my PSP, but this shit must cease now!

Really, I don't know what to think. What reason is there for me to upgrade?

Is anyone else having any trouble with NexterJ?

After upgrading to 5.00 I have been having some problems with emulators. I also had a bad memory card and tried putting the backups that were on that memory card onto my new card. When I was still having problems with that, I went back and just put on the original folders from my PC. This fixed all of my emulators except for NesterJ.

It runs fine, but when I try to exit the emulator using the home button, it crashes and turns off my PSP. Anyone else having any problems like this or with other emulators?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
1) Temptress?
2) You should always back up your memory stick when doing a major update to your PSP.
3) My emulators get goofy if I've got the CWCheat plugin loaded. Try disabling all of your plugins and check your emus again.

Mejilan said:
3) My emulators get goofy if I've got the CWCheat plugin loaded. Try disabling all of your plugins and check your emus again.

Edit: I don't have any plugins. I didn't put popsloader onto my new memory card so it can't be that. I do have an 8gb memory card if that matters, though.

If anyone has the same problem with 5.00 m33-3 be sure to post. Otherwise, I'll just assume it's something in my configuration and I'll try to figure something out.

Mejilan

1) Not talking to you.
2) Not talking to you.
3) Recovery console. (Or editing the pops.txt file in SEPLUGINS and switching the 1 to 0.

:)

The_Joint

Mejilan said:
1) Temptress?
2) You should always back up your memory stick when doing a major update to your PSP.

1. I call 'em like I see 'em.
2. You sure as fuck got that one right.
3. I'll try CWCheat again when it's network installable.

BTW, I was praising you too. Great tutorials. Love 'em! See, that's the temptress part.

Hello Everyone.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether it is possible to install a Custom Firmware without all the trouble of flashing a battery etc.
I have a FAT PSP Launch Unit with whatever firmware was on Everybody's Gold 2.

Thanks for the help.
Sincerely
CSX

navanman

CurlySaysX said:
Hello Everyone.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether it is possible to install a Custom Firmware without all the trouble of flashing a battery etc.

Thanks for the help.
Sincerely
CSX

NO.

If you want to mod your PSP, read the OP.

CurlySaysX said:
Hello Everyone.

Thanks for the help.
Sincerely
CSX
seriously, talk about LAZY, you don't even say what firmware it actually has?

how about you at least turn the thing on and check to see if it's lower than 3.51

Tyrael

prodystopian said:
Is anyone else having any trouble with NexterJ?

After upgrading to 5.00 I have been having some problems with emulators. I also had a bad memory card and tried putting the backups that were on that memory card onto my new card. When I was still having problems with that, I went back and just put on the original folders from my PC. This fixed all of my emulators except for NesterJ.

It runs fine, but when I try to exit the emulator using the home button, it crashes and turns off my PSP. Anyone else having any problems like this or with other emulators?

Same problem here. I have tried a different version, the 1.20 beta, but it didn't run.

But this emulator always showed some problems here, it always freeze when I try to load a new game, so I always have to exit the emulator and run it again to play a different game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
can you guys please tell me something that's been bothering me for quiet some time ..

so with CWCheat you can manually select the CPU rate, and its even possible to change it during Pops emulation, now i've read that normally pops runs at 333 mhz on default (is that true ?) but with Cwcheat you can even bring down pops's cpu usage to 222 mhz, and it would work fine even then, just saving you some battery life.

can someone clarify that ?

EGM92

Quick question:

I got a PSP FAT battery that's a pandora battery, am I able to load CFW 5.00 M33 onto a PSP-3000 unit??

Mejilan

The_Joint said:
1. I call 'em like I see 'em.
2. You sure as fuck got that one right.
3. I'll try CWCheat again when it's network installable.

BTW, I was praising you too. Great tutorials. Love 'em! See, that's the temptress part.

"Temptress" implies that I'm a female. I'm not. But you're quite welcome about the tutorials! ;p

decon said:
Hmm 5.01 m33-3 please :/

You'd have to get 5.01 M33 and 5.01 M33-2 before getting 5.01 M33-3. That said, I highly doubt 5.01 M33 is going to happen. If Dark-Alex was interested in doing it, he'd have done it instead of releasing 5.00 M33-2 and 5.00 M33-3.

The only two real changes between 5.00 and 5.01 (as I understand it), are the PSN lockout (not an issue with 5.00 M33-3) and and the borked 5.00 memory stick driver. Well, the 5.01 memory stick driver can be manually flashed to 5.00 M33-x, solving that issue as well.

EGM92 said:
I got a PSP FAT battery that's a pandora battery, am I able to load CFW 5.00 M33 onto a PSP-3000 unit??

No. Currently, later PSP-2000s and all PSP-3000s are Pandora proof. For now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Corran Horn said:
So I ended up getting some fake memory sticks :(
Are these gonna fuck up while im playing? bleh
That stinks. I bought a new 8gb for my PS1 games a few days ago and it's fine.

Mejilan

Corran Horn said:
So I ended up getting some fake memory sticks :(
Are these gonna fuck up while im playing? bleh

Back up your saves and whatnot often. Especially if you're going to be tinkering about your PSP and homebrewin'.

EGM92 said:
Thanks for the info, fuck, have there been any advancements?

There are people (including Dark-Alex) looking into it. IMHO, we won't get any more solid info on it until they're cracked.

I updated to the new popsloader500 and to firmware 5.00 M33-3. When I boot up one of my PSX games I get the popsloader to select a firmware and then after I select it and hit X the screen just goes blank with no response until I turn it off.

Any ideas what is causing this? I have tried several games and/or various pops firmwares? M33-3 the problem?

navanman

Popsloader is just a plugin to enable you to use the PSX emulator files from previous FW revisions.
You need to either decrypt and extract the POPS files from each supported FW as shown in the OP by Mejilan (superb guide BTW) or have a look around the interwebs for someone who has already done this and uploaded it.

I heard a little birdy say they may have seen this over on the psp-hacks forum. Could be wrong though.

Yea, I had all my files from my old popsloader I had done and just added 5.00 stuff on top. This is counting the file from 401.

I think I messed up something somewhere in the pops, not sure what though as I have went over it quite a few times now, just trying to figure out what that is.

Thanks for the tip btw though.

Edit: Found out what I screwed up. I knew it had to be something in the popsloader but couldn't figure it out.

amodf

MEMORY STICK WOES: so i bought a cheapo 8gb memory stick knowing it might be a bootleg but whatever it was cheap and I can return it. Problem is PSP is giving me a "Format Failed" error, Windows says same thing (when hooked up to PC through PSP), but ps3 didn't seem to have any problems with it. Is it bunk or is it Firmware related? (I'm using 5.00 m33-3).

I'm tired of copying and then deleting Ape Quest whenever I want to play some stupid PS1 game.

Mejilan

If you view it's details via the PSP's XMB (Triangle, I believe), does it say that it is Magic Gate?

If not? Fake memory stick.

Mejilan

Depending on the build and components, it might be usable. But I'd never recommend it. Especially if you're going to be doing anything like flashing your PSP with it. It's possibly usable, but still some garbage piece of plastic. ;p

If returning it is still an option, as you indicated, I'd do that and buy a real stick.

Top Bottom