• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Hesemonni

Banned
jrricky said:
Everything in the OP is overwhelmingly confusing. I thought this would be as easy as hacking the Wii. :/ Deterrence FTL.
The easiest way. Or that's the way I did mine.
navanman said:
How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using TOOL (Pandora) Battery and Catb50 Installer:

Intro:
This tutorial will show you how to flash your PSP with CFW using a TOOL battery and Catb50 Team's Magic Memory Stick Creator application.
A TOOL battery can be purchased from Codejunkies or DealExtreme.

What you'll need:
- A TOOL PSP battery or hard-modded PSP battery.
- Your PSP, either original or Slim PSP.
- Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 128MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum).

Hesemonni

Banned
jrricky said:
NVM, no need to hack the psp if it costs me money. :/ Oh god its gonna become a paper weight, Damn...what a waste.

Atleast you can play videos and use the internet on the john. :/
facepalm.jpg

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
What a great attitude you have!
Its not rocket science, it very easy infact. It may look long and complicated but thats only because we have decribed and written out every detail, so as to prevent people like you from complaining.
And its not expensive to do either, if you can't put by $10 for a Pandora (TOOL) battery, then you ain't going to have much use for a PSP or any game console.

Cloak

Cloak said:
I've been a little out of the scene here. But I took the plunge and updated from 3.80M33 to 5.00M33-3 using the M33 Updater... very cool. Then I did the 1.5 addon (because i'm too lazy to look for newer versions of what I’m using). Should I do the fatmsmod?

But here's my problem, my save file (and yes i did not back anything up before the update) for Lego batman doesn’t load. The game loads fine, but when I load up the save file I get "Load Failed, the data is corrupted" This happen to anyone else? Is there away to fix it?

Also (again forgive me for not keeping up with the thread), but now with the PS1 games/ POPS, is there a way to save state like in other emus?

Thanks in advance.

no one had this problem before? it's not really a huge deal for me to start it all over again, but just the same... i'd rather not if i dont have to.

xero273

The Faceless Master said:
read speed? yes

write speed? no

does it hamper games? no

Sorry, if this has already been answered, but If I am dumping psp games to the memory stick, wouldn't I want faster read speed?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
xero273 said:
Sorry, if this has already been answered, but If I am dumping psp games to the memory stick, wouldn't I want faster read speed?

Ideally you would but I think the point made above was that the average read speed off these adapters is still above the max read speed from the original UMD disc.

xero273 said:
When you play the game, it is read speed, correct?
you were talking about dumping the game though.

i already quoted a post from Fafalada that explains that you don't see benefits as far as loading is concerned after you pass the 2MB/s mark, and from the speed graphs linked in the same post, the adapters are hitting ~6MB/s

M3wThr33

Banned
jrricky said:
NVM, no need to hack the psp if it costs me money. :/ Oh god its gonna become a paper weight, Damn...what a waste.

Learn how to write like an adult.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
NameGenerated said:
Can somebody explain how to install SNES9x TYL 4.2 on a 5.00 m33-3 Phat PSP. It used to work but then I tried updating and now it doesn't. I'm copying the folder into PSP/GAME and I get a "This Game Could Not be Started" error. Argh. I'm copying the 1.0 version and not using 1.50 kernel
Anybody?

Dunlop

Just picked up a PS3. I don't remember the firmware on my PSP (it's at work), I know it has the option but is there anything I need to do on the PSP side before I attempt to use remote play?

i.e does the PS3 firmware 2.52 or before look for custom firmwares?

hirokazu

Dunlop said:
Just picked up a PS3. I don't remember the firmware on my PSP (it's at work), I know it has the option but is there anything I need to do on the PSP side before I attempt to use remote play?

i.e does the PS3 firmware 2.52 or before look for custom firmwares?
I don't think there's a way for custom firmware to be recognised on the PS3 end, and on the PSP end, everything is pretty sweet.

No45

Can anyone recommend a good all round media (video) player for the PSP. Searching through this thread it doesn't seem to have cropped up much and there are loads out there, would be nice to get some recommendations. :)

EDIT: I should point out that I'm on a Slim, so no 1.50 kernel for me. :(

Billen

Banned
jrricky said:

So it's impossible to, you know, BUY software for it?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Billen said:
So it's impossible to, you know, BUY software for it?

I don't think he was planning on spending any more money after his initial investment in the hardware, why do you think he's so disappointed that he can't play "homebrew"*.

In this case it's the home brew of the pirates that sail across the vast oceans of the interwebs

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A touch late to the party here - has anyone seen confirmation if it's dangerous to use custom 5.00 firmware with PSN, ala, are people actually getting banned?

Kaijima said:
A touch late to the party here - has anyone seen confirmation if it's dangerous to use custom 5.00 firmware with PSN, ala, are people actually getting banned?

I'd like to know this too, as it's required for the PSP Playstation store, and PC support has been removed (no idea how long ago this happened.)

JudgeN

So as someone who plays alot of PS1 games on his PSP is 5.00 M33-3 save to upgrade too? Poploader all good to go right?

GothPunk

Kaijima said:
I've downloaded a few demos and I bought Theme Hospital via the PSP Store, worked fine. I've been playing WipeOut HD and got some DLC for Dead Space on my PS3 with the same account. Again, fine. I vote bullshit on the bans rumour, havn't seen any evidence for it so far via internets/GAF.

Graphics Horse said:
I'd like to know this too, as it's required for the PSP Playstation store, and PC support has been removed (no idea how long ago this happened.)
PC support hasn't been removed, you've just got to use it through Media Manager 3 (which is now free). Linky

JudgeN said:
So as someone who plays alot of PS1 games on his PSP is 5.00 M33-3 save to upgrade too? Poploader all good to go right?

Yep, FFVII, FFIX, Suikoden 1 & 2 and Rival Schools all working great for me :) Hell yeah!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148157741#post2148157741

A pretty neat little homebrew plugin that allows you to cycle between different categories of homebrew (instead of having it all listed out in one master XMB listing).

Example: You can have a category for PSP rips, PSOne rips, emulators, homebrew, etc.

I was tempted to post the 1.00 version a few days ago but I quickly got annoyed with it. This one, however, seems to be quite a bit better!

Mejilan said:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Game-Categ...for-the-obsessive-compulsive/pg/49/aid/126097

Weird. Two completely separate homebrew apps hit doing basically the same thing. I'll try this one out and report back as to my preference between the two.

wow awesome, I'll definitely have to try these out.

The second one sounds slightly more like what I'd actually use since it's integrated into the vshmenu, and not another button combination to remember (although the combo isn't hard or anything =P)

Mejilan

Fuck the first one.
The second one is a much more elegant and powerful solution.
It allows you to do one thing that I haven't been able to do with the first app: integrate the contents of multiple folders into one master category listing.

Example:
You have most of your emulators under PSP/GAME, where they should be.
However, one or two older emulator hold-outs still need to be in PSP/GAME150 for whatever stupid reason.

With that first plugin (APPSwitcher 1.1), you'd basically have to have two different emulator categories, one for the GAME emulators, the other for the GAME150 emulators.

Game Categories Plugin v2, on the other hand, allows you to combine them into one master emulator category, REGARDLESS of whether or not it's a GAME executable or GAME150 executable.

Totally kick ass!

I only have two gripes.

1.) It doesn't work with Alternative VSHMenu. Oh, the Alt VSH Menu still works around it without a problem, but if, like me, you had disabled the regular VSH Menu, you'll have to resurrect it to properly switch categories.

2.) Game Categories Plugin v2 won't remember your preferred category between reboots. I'll always default to Show All (which is basically what the XMB looks like without any of these categorizing plugins).

Mejilan

Besides the default "Show All" and "Uncategorized" categories that this Game Categories Plugin v2 app comes with, I set up 5 of my own categories.

UMDS [under ms0:/ISO/CAT_UMDS] (for PSP games)
APPS [*] (for homebrew applications such as PSP Filer and CheatDBDownload)
GAMES [*] (for homebrew games and ports (Exult PSP, OpenTyrian, OpenBeats of Rage, etc.)
EMU [*] (for classic systems' emulators)
PSONE [under ms0:/GAME/CAT_PSONE] (for PSOne games)

[*] =
[under ms0:/PSP/GAME/CAT_XYZ]
[under ms0:/PSP/GAME150/CAT_XYZ]
[under ms0:/PSP/GAME5XX/CAT_XYZ]
where XYZ stands in for APPS, GAMES, & EMU

Sort the executables by placing them in the corresponding CAT_ folder, toggle between these various categories via the M33 VSH Menu, and bam! Watch your programs get filtered accordingly in the XMB.

Cool beans!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That application would've been nice, but a few weeks back I got fed up with the limited space I could put on the memory card so I bought another one. Now I just use one for PS1 and homebrew, the other for PSP rips.

Mejilan

I've got an 8GB stick, and at any give time, can have anywhere from 12 - 24 games/apps on it. So being able to break them up into 5 or so categories is VERY welcome. :)

Xiaoki

A friend of mine upgraded to 5.00 custom and it bricked his PSP.
A different friend currently has the Pandora battery and wont be able to unbrick it until Saturday.
So, Im going to wait until I upgrade. Dont need to right now anyway.

Mejilan

It must have been a random bit of unlucky.
5.00 M33-x doesn't have an increased chance of bricking over most other firmwares (custom or official), as far as I've been able to determine.

Getting a blue screen of death upon that first reboot post-installation, and/or needing to reformat your flash1, however, is NOT unusual. It's also not really all that much of a setback.

EGM92

Quick question,

Is it posssible to find out if a PSP 2000 is able to use a pandora battery from the package? I need a new PSP but all my friends who bought one recently can't get my pandora battery/memstick to boot up and install on their units. it works fine on my old 2000 series with broken wifi.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148157741#post2148157741

A pretty neat little homebrew plugin that allows you to cycle between different categories of homebrew (instead of having it all listed out in one master XMB listing).

Example: You can have a category for PSP rips, PSOne rips, emulators, homebrew, etc.

I was tempted to post the 1.00 version a few days ago but I quickly got annoyed with it. This one, however, seems to be quite a bit better!

Nice find, I remember people asking DA for this functionality since the start of CFW!

Graphics Horse said:

no dangerous at all, you have to install the 5.00 m33-3 upgrade though, or the psp will tell you to upgrade to the latest firmware.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Okay so I have a multidisc eboot of Dragon Warrior VII here which boots and loads fine on my PSP (5.01 m33) but when it gets to the memory card menu you can't see the boxes to select anything. Trying to boot it with old popsloader versions just causes a freeze (tried 3.71 and 3.72). Anyone know anything about this?

Edit: Actually, all the "boxes" in the game seem to work, just not display (I looked at the picture of the new game screen in the manual and pressed the keys to get through that and through the movie to the first dialogue, which doesn't show up either). Maybe just an incompatibility? Is there a newer popsloader than 3.72 that I can install that would work?

The M.O.B

Awesomeness

Psp2000 just came.

It came with FW 3.72. I believe(i read somewhere) that any psp below 4.01 can have cfw installed, so mine will work right?

Also, my pal has a CFW psp, can I use his Pandora and magicstick for mine to install cfw and then just use my normal battery and 8gbstick?

Jaroof

Yes!!! Finally got a new battery for my PSP. The old one got cracked and messed up, so I needed a new one..
now I put Mother 3 on it. The good times have begun. :D

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
Game Categories Plugin v2 is fucking awesome. With a bit more tweaking, it'll be brilliant.

It needs to save the state it was last set on. Right now, playing a game or powering the PSP down will reset it. And some sort of hotkey combo to toggle between the categories instead of resorting to the vshmenu.

Mejilan

spindoc said:
It needs to save the state it was last set on. Right now, playing a game or powering the PSP down will reset it. And some sort of hotkey combo to toggle between the categories instead of resorting to the vshmenu.

Yeah, I mentioned those in my griping. It's still better than APPSwitcher 1.1, though. IMHO.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Game Categories Plugin v2 is fucking awesome. With a bit more tweaking, it'll be brilliant.

I've noticed that any 1.5 homebrew wrapped with the eboot loader (so they can work on 3.00+) have hardcoded paths. Moving them into any subfolders will cause them to fail on load. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Top Bottom