• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oooh, this is an old bug.
Umm... boot into the recovery console and switch your current kernel to whatever it's not.

IIRC. It's been a while.

Mejilan

Still got it, baby!

You never need to do the M33-x updates incrementally. You can always skip to the very last one and call it a day. It includes the earlier increments. I'd just install the last one (takes about 5 seconds) and then move on up to 5.00 M33.

Mejilan

Why the HELL would you need to use a Pandor to "crack" your already-customized PSP?
It's like trying to impregnate a pregnant woman.

*scratches head in confusion*

Zoe

I'm finally looking at getting a Jp 2000 model... Now I know the Mint ones are supposed to have the updated motherboard that can't be cracked, but what about the original colors? Has the motherboard been changed for those as well? (specifically the Felicia Blue)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CXMB : Fuck yeah !

screen2.png

Ramune

ayrkain said:
There's a patch for Clazziqui to get it to work. Might want to google it as I don't know where you'd get it.

Looking for the patch kept giving me the run around, never mind, not the answers I was looking for. But I actually found a simple trick to make the game play. Go to your ISO of DJM Clazziquai and boot it up. While the PSP screen is displayed, wait for the memory stick indicator on the PSP to blink two times. As the PSP screen fades out, take the memory stick out and then wait 1-2 seconds and then put it back in. You'll see the "Neowiz" logo screen soon come up indicating your efforts were successful!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there an issue with playing purchased PSP games from PSN on custom firmware PSPs?

I bought Super Stardust via PSN today, transferred it to my 4.01 m33 PSP, it said it needed 4.05 I think. I went ahead and updated to 5.00 m33-3 to get it over with, and Super Stardust won't run. I tried re-activating my PSP from the PS3 and transfering the game again, but no dice.

Am I screwed here with playing officially purchased games or am I missing something? Halp?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Kaijima said:
Is there an issue with playing purchased PSP games from PSN on custom firmware PSPs?

I bought Super Stardust via PSN today, transferred it to my 4.01 m33 PSP, it said it needed 4.05 I think. I went ahead and updated to 5.00 m33-3 to get it over with, and Super Stardust won't run. I tried re-activating my PSP from the PS3 and transfering the game again, but no dice.

Am I screwed here with playing officially purchased games or am I missing something? Halp?

Try reinstalling vanilla 5.00m33 (without the incremental patches) and see if your PSN games work. I think m33-3 introduced a new problem.

Kai Dracon

spindoc said:
Try reinstalling vanilla 5.00m33 (without the incremental patches) and see if your PSN games work. I think m33-3 introduced a new problem.

Is it possible to reinstall vanilla m33 over m33-3?

Kai Dracon

Ok, while this may make no sense, at a friend's recommendation I went into the recovery menu under advanced, then advanced configuration, and disabled GAME plugins.

After doing this, Super Stardust from PSN store loads and runs.

Okay.

I was told the GAME plugins only have to do with cheats for games? Oh well.

clav

Zoe said:
I'm finally looking at getting a Jp 2000 model... Now I know the Mint ones are supposed to have the updated motherboard that can't be cracked, but what about the original colors? Has the motherboard been changed for those as well? (specifically the Felicia Blue)
It'll depend when the PSP was made. Given how the PSP is selling, I guess you're running into the risk of getting a model that's not yet crackable.

http://sceners.org/?itemid=132

Still looks like it'll be some time until a crack is found.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
So, is this the end...?

I have 17 bad blocks in my NAND. Doing the Pandora thing results in it freezing/going blank at the 'formatting Flash0' portion of the process.

What are my options, if any?

Edit: Just did a physical NAND restore (dangerous) and it's no longer reporting bad blocks. Sweet.

Crisis averted. Go launch PSP GO!

DaCocoBrova said:
So, is this the end...?

I have 17 bad blocks in my NAND. Doing the Pandora thing results in it freezing/going blank at the 'formatting Flash0' portion of the process.

What are my options, if any?

Edit: Just did a physical NAND restore (dangerous) and it's no longer reporting bad blacks. Sweet.

Crisis averted. Go launch PSP GO!
This is your dodgy PSP of death huh? I'd really just go get a RELIABLE UNIT that doesn't have DEFECTIVE HARDWARE. :p

amodf

What's the best SNES emulator for PSP? I was using SNESTYL, but does that not support sleep mode? PSP without sleep mode is scarcely a psp at all.

Mejilan

5.00 M33-4 is out.

http://www.dark-alex.org/
http://dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4532

5.00 M33-4 Readme said:
5.00 M33-4
----------

Instructions: Copy UPDATE folder /PSP/GAME/ and run.

If you come from a version prior to 5.00 M33, put sony update as 500.PBP in same folder, or let the program download it for you using a wifi connection.

Changes:

- Speed selected for umd/iso was not properly locked in some new games that used scePower_EBD177D6 instead of scePowerSetClockFrequency to change speed.
- UMD/ISO speed settings now apply to PSN games too.
- Fixed libupdown.prx connecting to dark-alex.org instead of sony when npsignin_plugin checks for a new version and m33 update is enabled.
- Iso file descriptor was not closed in driver deletion
- Added a shutdown command to vshmenu.

Mejilan

Any reason not to? It's an incremental upgrade, not a whole new version. I don't think the bug-fix incrementals have ever been worth skipping.
If nothing else, it should fix PSN issues.

Mejilan

Updated my PSP using the M33 Network Update.
Was finally able to reconnect to PSN.
Accessed my account's download list and grabbed the PSP version of Everyday Shooter that I purchased via my PS3 yesterday.
Downloaded. Installed. Playing now.

Yeehaw.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Sorry for my supreme ignorance, but I’m currently running 3.71 M33-3. I’d like to get caught back up, I’ve been out of the PSP thing for awhile now. Do I need to do anything special to update, or can I just select network update and get it automatically?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Gouty said:
Sorry for my supreme ignorance, but I’m currently running 3.71 M33-3. I’d like to get caught back up, I’ve been out of the PSP thing for awhile now. Do I need to do anything special to update, or can I just select network update and get it automatically?

You need to update manually. You need download the 5.00 M33-4 update from dark-alex website and the Sony 5.00FW.
Extract the UPDATE folder from 5.00 M33-4 archive. Rename the Sony FW EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP and copy it into the UPDATE folder.
Then copy this folder to PSP/GAME folder of your PSP Memory Stick.

Mejilan

Gouty said:

Not unless you want to overwrite your PSP with 5.02 official. M33 Network Update was added to 3.80 M33. It didn't yet exist in 3.71 M33. You might as well just manually update to 5.00 M33.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
Any reason not to? It's an incremental upgrade, not a whole new version. I don't think the bug-fix incrementals have ever been worth skipping.
If nothing else, it should fix PSN issues.

I don't think I've upgraded in a few updates, not since PSOne games were affected. I'm sure it's been resolved by now though, so I guess now is as good a time as any.

Mejilan

Well, the new POPSLoader came out long ago, for what it's worth. It supports more POPS versions than any other version of POPSLoader. No reason not to upgrade, IMHO.

eznark

Banned
You're the expert!

I think the only reason I haven't updated is because I haven't used the PSP in awhile. DS has had a ton of great releases lately and I've been using that.

Mejilan

Yeah, I haven't done much with the PSP save for fuck around with some new plugins and today, update it. That said, it looks like the new VSH menu killed my favorite new plugin. Game Categories. Here's hoping for a quick update to it! :(

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
thanks for the help, now I just have to wait for my battery to hit 78%. Odd number. I was kinda hoping they'd have gotten rid of this safety net by now. I know why it's there, but I'm plugged into the wall and willing to risk it. Oh well

Mejilan

You can override that safety. Google up the button combination. I don't remember it. Unless someone else can chime in?

I'm trying to add the PSP Hud plugin (battery info) and one instruction eludes me.

Put hud.prx and hud.lang in seplugins directory on your PSP memory stick and append ms0:/seplugins/hud.prx to vsh.txt, game.txt and pops.txt files.

Not sure what it means by "append".

Mejilan

Plugins are read by the firmware and activated according to edit-able .txt files stored in the SEPLUGINS folder.

vsh.txt pertains to plugins that run from within the main XMB interface.
game.txt pertains to plugins that run from within PSP games.
pops.txt pertains to plugins that run from within PSOne games.

You need to add the path and name of the plugin you're trying to activate, at the end of each of RELEVANT .txt files (if you already have plugins set up.) Otherwise, create the .txt files you need as I described above.

2DMention

Banned
I'm too lazy and too stupid to mess around with this custom firmware stuff. It doesn't help that I still have a hoopdie memory card.

It would be way worth it to play DQ7 on the go, though.
And possibly the emulator, since retail classic packs *cough*SNK Classics*cough* are poorly done

Hey wait - isn't this thread ban bait for talking about the possiblity of
Da Romz

Mejilan

This thread has over 4100 posts in it. It's definitely "legit" in that sense. Mod-sanctioned, and all that.

Asking for ROMs is the height of stupidity, and anyone doing so deserves a ban.

The last PSOne game I played through to completion on my PSP was DQVII. ~148 glorious hours. That includes the post-game content too!

eznark

Banned
2DMention said:
I'm too lazy and too stupid to mess around with this custom firmware stuff. It doesn't help that I still have a hoopdie memory card.

It would be way worth it to play DQ7 on the go, though.
And possibly the emulator, since retail classic packs *cough*SNK Classics*cough* are poorly done

Hey wait - isn't this thread ban bait for talking about the possiblity of
Da Romz

DQVII was a large part of why I went the CFW route. It's well worth the few minutes it takes (and the hour or so of bugging Mej when I couldn't get the PSOne shit working).

Top Bottom