• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan said:
Not to my knowledge. :(

Well that's fine, Brandish is running awesome anyway. (Except when you rest, the screen remains dark but that's rectified by looking at your map.)

I should do a Brandish appreciation thread to hype up the new PSP game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I really should give Brandish another shot.

vilmer_ said:
Ok, I'll try re-creating the eboot and testing it.

No, I meant, were you able to reproduce the error again after rebooting? Although, reconverting it might not be a bad idea either.

vilmer_

Mejilan said:
No, I meant, were you able to reproduce the error again after rebooting? Although, reconverting it might not be a bad idea either.

Yes, the game still hangs when the cutscene is supposed to trigger (on a PSP reboot) Going to give it a full reconvert now.

Mejilan said:
I really should give Brandish another shot.

On the options screen (Press start and press right on the Dpad till you get there) you can set Varik (Ares) to strafe automatically and only turn when you hold L or R with left or right on the Dpad. Apparently this helps most people.

Brandish is awesome. Awesome is Brandish.

Mejilan

That does sound quite helpful.

Oh, on topic, the SMSPlus Sega Master System/Game Gear emulator has been updated to version 1.2.5, including new features! First new version in about a year.

vilmer_

Before trying again with Popstation, I gave PSX2PSP a whirl and tried creating just the one disc as opposed to all 3-in-1 eboot. This time it worked! Loaded up the save and the cutscene played (although I notice longer black loading screens with this PSX2PSP eboot).

Mejilan said:
That does sound quite helpful.

Oh, on topic, the SMSPlus Sega Master System/Game Gear emulator has been updated to version 1.2.5, including new features! First new version in about a year.

DOO EEET.

DOOOOOO EEEET.

PLAY BRANDISH WITH ME.

jombag

Mejilan said:
How many games have you tried? Same exact error with all of them? :(

Yeah..it just goes to a blank screen and makes that popping sound then resets...oh well, i guess I can stick with 4.01 or just dump other versions.

Mejilan

jombag said:
Yeah..it just goes to a blank screen and makes that popping sound then resets...oh well, i guess I can stick with 4.01 or just dump other versions.

Yeah, I've had that crash before. Usually a conflict between an emulator and a plugin. Do you have any running besides POPSLoader?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Yay! Updated to 5.0 M33-4, and the new Popsloader, and finally my copy of Xenogears works. :D

*does the VERY happy dance*

Xenogears is my #1 all-time favorite, and my PS2slim destroys my savegames when I try to play it

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
NameGenerated said:
Quick question, is it safe to delete the despertar de cementario and Pandora battery creator from my game folder?

Yes, once you have run the programs you can safely delete them.

jombag

Mejilan said:
Yeah, I've had that crash before. Usually a conflict between an emulator and a plugin. Do you have any running besides POPSLoader?

Nope just popsloader...Off topic question, I read on your post a couple of pages back that you were able to consolidate mulitple cd/images into one eboot with popstation GUI....How pls?..sorry im a noob on all of this stuff and I really want to play mgs and ffvii :D

ZeMMiK

Well I want to install this firmware to enjoy some SNES emulation.

Can I just upgrade my PSP to the latest official firmware and then
put this custom firmware on my psp??5.00M33 It is btw only 198k??

pls advise.

ZeMMiK said:
Well I want to install this firmware to enjoy some SNES emulation.

Can I just upgrade my PSP to the latest official firmware and then
put this custom firmware on my psp??5.00M33 It is btw only 198k??

pls advise.

No, you don't want to touch the official firmware if you want to go down the custom route. Depending on what PSP you have, and what firmware it's on now, you can downgrade through software only; as far as I know, this can only be done on the PSP-1000, and then pre 3.8 official. If the firmware is past 3.8 official or if you're using a PSP-2000 you'll have to obtain a "pandora" battery, which can be either purchased or can be made with a PSP that already has custom firmware, links should be in the OP. I think I remember hearing something about the PSP-3000 being able to be modified, but I'm not entirely sure about the process there.

In any case, the latest custom firmware can always be found at www.dark-alex.org, but unless you're already on custom firmware that won't be of much help.

NekoFever

I'm having a brain fart: what was the CFW version that you have to go to to upgrade a really old version to the latest ones? 3.52 M33?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
ZeMMiK said:
i have a psp1000..but it is more complex then i was hoping
Pandora battery and the magic memory stick tool made this much easier than I ever thought it would be. I'm not sure if that has changed depending on the firmware though.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
NekoFever said:
I'm having a brain fart: what was the CFW version that you have to go to to upgrade a really old version to the latest ones? 3.52 M33?

I think it was 3.52 M33-4.

Mejilan

NekoFever said:

IIRC, 3.52 M33-3 / 3.52 M33-4 was the gateway. If you had CFW older than that, you needed to upgrade to that before moving on to 3.71 M33 and above.

Guled

what do I need to do to get from FW 3.5something to the latest? What improvements am I going to see ? I have a phat BTW

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ZeMMiK said:
i have a psp1000..but it is more complex then i was hoping
It is really simple, you either have everything needed to use it (A Pandora Battery and a Magic memory stick, details on both are in the OP), or you don't, and thus can't use it.

I had a real hard time before I bought a ready made Datal "Tool" (Pandora) Battery, once I got that, I had CFW within 15 minutes and I haven't looked back since.

Sony doesn't want us to install CFW after all, mainly because it allows people to commit...bad things, but once you have the tools to do it, the process is quite simple, you can even convert your existing battery to Pandora and install a service menu where you can interchange between pretty much ANY CFW.

Anyway, Mejilan, The PAL versions of FF VIII and IX had copy protections on them, FF VIII was quite simple to get rid of with decent software, FF IX? !!!!!!!!!!! Anywho, it is dealt with and FF IX is spectacular on the PSP.
Guled said:
what do I need to do to get from FW 3.5something to the latest? What improvements am I going to see ? I have a phat BTW
From the CFW? You should be able to use network update for that, if not download the official 5.00 FW, go to the Dark Alex site and follow the instructions to get the 5.00 M33-4.

Tonight I join your little club. Just wanted to say hi.

I'll be going from the latest firmware on a launch slim to the latest cfw. Wish me luck.

Mejilan said:
I used to use PSX2PSP a year or two back, and generally had no complaints about it. That said, I eventually dropped it for the infinitely superior (at that point) RS GUI POPStationMD by Red Squirrel, the very same app featured in my tutorial.

I think you're a bit confused. POPSLoader is a CFW plugin that runs on the PSP that allows you to use multiple different versions of POPS (the Sony-developed PSOne emulator for the PSP), somewhat independent of the actual CFW you're currently running. It is not a competitor to PSX2PSP, a GUI-based PSOne ISO to PSP EBOOT conversion app.

That said, I'm sure that PSX2PSP is still a fine alternative, but there's clearly something wrong with his set up if he's getting bum PSOne games. It could be on the ISOBuster level, or the PSX2PSP level, or plainly on the PSP level.

Ah! ...thanks for the clarification and sorry 'bout the late reply! :D

Mejilan

Stop It said:
From the CFW? You should be able to use network update for that, if not download the official 5.00 FW, go to the Dark Alex site and follow the instructions to get the 5.00 M33-4.

No! He specified he was on 3.5-something M33. M33 Network Update wasn't implemented until 3.80 M33. If he uses Network Update to upgrade, he'll overwrite his CFW with the newest official Sony firmware!

Update to 3.52 M33-4, and from there, you should be able to upgrade straight up to 5.00 M33-4.

sca2511

is there a SNES emulator that runs in full speed yet?

Last time I've used one, it was apparently using speed hacks for certain games. If it weren't using that it would be sloooow

Mejilan

Not for every game, no, but the most recent version of the only real SNES emulator worth a mention (updated in mid May, at the last), has gotten quite a bit better.

Ok I'm having trouble helping a friend online make a pandora. He's borrowed a friend's CFW Phat PSP with 5.00 M33-3. I'm trying to get him to run UMPS 4.3. But it won't install right, whenever he tries to boot up in Pandora mode (even on the CFW unit) it just goes into one big memory loop (the memstick bay is accessing and never stops). Now in navanman's tutorial, it says you need to patch something or other when higher than 3.80, but NO OPTION LIKE THIS shows up. Pressing square anywhere does nothing. The instructions with the download only say 3.80-3.90... so I'm wondering if 5.00 bugged it?

Any ideas?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
pancakesandsex said:
It is done. I'm dumping my copy of Star Ocean as we speak.
Well done! :) I hope you enjoy Star Ocean sans disc, it really is much better not to have a UMD clunking away while you play, helps load times (In most cases) and battery life too.

Mejilan said:
No! He specified he was on 3.5-something M33. M33 Network Update wasn't implemented until 3.80 M33. If he uses Network Update to upgrade, he'll overwrite his CFW with the newest official Sony firmware!

Update to 3.52 M33-4, and from there, you should be able to upgrade straight up to 5.00 M33-4.
Arse, sorry for some reason I thought Network Update worked before that FW version, sorry and thanks for the correction.

pancakesandsex said:
The biggest improvement I have seen so far is on Super Robot Wars A Portable. Eliminates like all animation load.

I TOLD YOU THIS A YEAR AGO BUT NOOOOOOO DIDN'T WANT TO CFW. :p

Also navanman or meij should really update their post about pandoras to reflect this... because we were going for four hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working...

Pandora creation steps I used for reference:

On a 5.00 m33 phat using the newest version of UPT (5?):

Step 1 - select standard IPL (2nd option)
Step 2 - backup battery, then create a service mode one

Step 3 - this is where I ran into trouble. while it was trying to unpack all the firmware bits, it offers to download the missing ones for you. Great, right? Not when it constantly corrupts the memory stick.

--------Download as many of the firmware pbps in advance as you can, the less time this thing needs to operate the better apparently.

When I finally got it to work it had to download 1 or 2 of them.

That's that for the battery.

After that I just held L on my slim, popped in the battery, and released when the stick access light flashed, and followed the onscreen prompts to back everything up and then install 3.90 m33.

I didn't have to do any of the stuff with the hold switch.

Sorry for the double post, but all i want for Christmas is to play vanguard bandits on my psp. I'm on vista, and I am having trouble converting the iso to an eboot.

I'm using the program as described in the tutorial, but I used roxio instead of isobuster to make the iso.

When I hit "make" the secondary program it loads crashes and brings me back to the main one.

Is this a vista issue or is it due to the way I ripped the iso? Are there any solutions?

SOLDIER

I'll try asking again: I want to get RemoteJoy working on my PSP, but I could use some step by step instructions on how to do so. Like where what file goes on what folder, and so on.

MCD

pancakesandsex said:
Sorry for the double post, but all i want for Christmas is to play vanguard bandits on my psp. I'm on vista, and I am having trouble converting the iso to an eboot.

I'm using the program as described in the tutorial, but I used roxio instead of isobuster to make the iso.

When I hit "make" the secondary program it loads crashes and brings me back to the main one.

Is this a vista issue or is it due to the way I ripped the iso? Are there any solutions?
try using imgburn

for converting iso to eboot, i use Yet Another GUI For PopStation but i think any should do.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm tired of bricking my PSP every f'ew days by simply exiting to Home. Not sure if anyone has run into such an issue, but it's enough to force me to replace my launch PSP.

So, all things considered (form factor, screen, build and homebrew compatibility)... Which model of PSP is the *best* one to get?

MCD said:
try using imgburn

for converting iso to eboot, i use Yet Another GUI For PopStation but i think any should do.

This program seems to go by different names depending in where I look. Can you link me to the creators site?

Does it support multidisc games and images and stuff?

Mejilan

I've been thinking about whipping up an updated CFW installation tutorial. I might do that this weekend.

Top Bottom