• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
CFW basically turned the PSP from a novelty jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none media device into a legit portable gaming system for me.

2DMention said:
I'm too lazy and too stupid to mess around with this custom firmware stuff. It doesn't help that I still have a hoopdie memory card.

It would be way worth it to play DQ7 on the go, though.
And possibly the emulator, since retail classic packs *cough*SNK Classics*cough* are poorly done

Hey wait - isn't this thread ban bait for talking about the possiblity of
Da Romz

Oh yes. TOTALLY ban bait.

Who posted? said:
Mejilan 464
navanman 299
The Faceless Master 129
eznark 104
Dragona Akehi 104
M3wThr33 74
homez99 61
NekoFever

Mejilan

Offhand, I've always wondered how people get lists of user posts in a thread. Is that a mod power, or can anyone do it?

Oh, Dragona, can you please edit the thread title to reflect the new CFW? Pretty, please? With slime on top?

Mejilan said:
Offhand, I've always wondered how people get lists of user posts in a thread. Is that a mod power, or can anyone do it?

Oh, Dragona, can you please edit the thread title to reflect the new CFW? Pretty, please? With slime on top?

On the main forum page, you can see the numbers of posts. Simply click that and a window will pop up.

Mejilan

I stay relatively plugin-free. They don't always play nice together.
POPSLoader, CWCheat, and Game Categories are about it, honestly.

I'll occasionally pop in a screenshot-taking plugin if I'm trying to snap shots for an OP I'm creating.

Mejilan

What exactly is your problem?

Dumping and decrypting the files?
Placing them on your mem stick?
Enabling the plugin?
Forcing the POPS version selection screen?

That said, all of this is answered in my POPSLoader tutorial, accessible from the OP.

Diablos

I just want to enable the plugin. I thought I followed all the steps, maybe I missed something.

Sorry, I just find this PSP stuff complicated.

Mejilan

To enable the plugin, you need to have the path and name of the plugin specified in pops.txt, reboot into the recovery menu, and enable it via the plugins option.

B.K.

I'm getting ready to upgrade from 3.71 m33. Should I install the 1.50 kernel patch and the memory card speed thing? I don't think those were around the last time I updated.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a 16GB memory card. On Amazon, it's $89, but it's sold by a different company and fulfilled by Amazon. Would it be real?

tokkun

B.K. said:
I'm getting ready to upgrade from 3.71 m33. Should I install the 1.50 kernel patch and the memory card speed thing? I don't think those were around the last time I updated.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a 16GB memory card. On Amazon, it's $89, but it's sold by a different company and fulfilled by Amazon. Would it be real?

From my own negative experiences of buying from 3rd-party sellers and receiving counterfeit memory sticks, I'd advise against it. Stick with big-name retailers.

tokkun said:
From my own negative experiences of buying from 3rd-party sellers and receiving counterfeit memory sticks, I'd advise against it. Stick with big-name retailers.

Yeah, don't work with the sellers who sell through Amazon. If you gotta deal with Amazon, then deal with... Amazon themselves. A few days ago the 16GB card was like 91 dollars too so yeah, helps to wait for the price to fluctuate here and there.

B.K.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Yeah, don't work with the sellers who sell through Amazon. If you gotta deal with Amazon, then deal with... Amazon themselves. A few days ago the 16GB card was like 91 dollars too so yeah, helps to wait for the price to fluctuate here and there.

I can't really wait that long. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and need it by then. I was hoping it would be safe to use Amazon, since the order is fulfilled by them.

-Rogue5-

I hate to ask, but does anyone know of a full speed SNES emu for PSP... There are like half a dozen out there, but I want the (objectively) best one... And I may use tvout, so it's gotta support that too.

OH and what are some underrated PS1 games? My buddy's got Fear Effect 1 and 2 and he's been telling me to play them since 2000. I don't know if he thinks they're good games or if he just wants me to play them because of their lesbianism...lesbian-ness... so yeah, are they worth converting to prx? (if so, what exactly do I use to convert them for play on a 5.00 m33-4 psp?)

Posted this elsewhere, but maybe I'll find help here.

I'm getting lag, sound lag and black screens in games at times.

SaGa Frontier for example. I ripped the game using Isobuster and converted with the newest PSX2PSP and after I went through a room in Sei's Tomb, like the 2nd room you go through in it, it turns black and music still plays. In Alundra.. (ripped the same way) if I enter this mansion after an event at the beginning, the screen goes black and the music lags. I've also run into situations where the same thing happens in Suikoden 2. Is it my PSP or..?

I've tried a few different firmware versions.. also another thing: Megaman Legends used to work, but it doesn't work anymore, now it gives me an error 80000004. No idea what's going on here.

B.K.

I'm having some trouble with Popsloader. I've extracted all the files I need from the official firmwares up to 4.01. They're in the folder and everything else is where it should be. When I try to use Popsloader, it only lists up to 3.72 and when I try to use any of them to play the game, it crashes the PSP.

Mejilan

comrade, Dark-Alex.org is up for me.

B.K., regarding POPSLoader, did you download the updated version for 5.00 M33 that Dark-Alex released? Older versions of POPSLoader do NOT support anything beyond 3.72. Also, to get the 5.00 M33 version to work, you need to extract some extra files not needed before. Hit up my POPSLoader tutorial (accessible via the OP) for more details.

Mejilan

DarknessTear said:
SaGa Frontier for example. I ripped the game using Isobuster and converted with the newest PSX2PSP and after I went through a room in Sei's Tomb, like the 2nd room you go through in it, it turns black and music still plays. In Alundra.. (ripped the same way) if I enter this mansion after an event at the beginning, the screen goes black and the music lags. I've also run into situations where the same thing happens in Suikoden 2. Is it my PSP or..?

It's probably something that's breaking down with your process. Whether there's something wrong with the rips that ISOBuster has given you, or something poorly configured on your end during the conversion process. My first recommendation would be to drop PSX2PSP. Try the one I suggest in my tutorial (accessible from the OP).

Also, are you using POPSLoader? If so, which versions? And what CFW are you running? If you plan on playing a broad range of PSOne games, the POPSLoader plugin is a must, as not all games work equally well in all CFWs. Again, I have a separate tutorial dedicated to setting up POPSLoader, accessible from my OP.

I've tried a few different firmware versions.. also another thing: Megaman Legends used to work, but it doesn't work anymore, now it gives me an error 80000004. No idea what's going on here.

Make sure that the unique folder you put the converted game in is under ms0:/PSP/GAME and that the folder's name doesn't contain too many characters.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gaf please help. I have had a PSP since launch and am thinking of upgrading. Do I go for PSP 2000, so I can continue with homebrew (mostly for emulators) or go for the 3000 which looks slightly better and might be better for playing games outside (but also has screen issues reported). What else can I do (legally) with my CFW that might sway me to keep it?

Also what are the chances of the whole PSP library appearing on PSN, and new releases hitting day and date with retail?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
eznark said:
What are some of your other favorite plug-ins?
I use popsloader, and a image capture plugin, that's it.

Oh, I used the network update for the first time today (I finally got a wireless router), I'm never going manual ever again.
Bojanglez said:
Gaf please help. I have had a PSP since launch and am thinking of upgrading. Do I go for PSP 2000, so I can continue with homebrew (mostly for emulators) or go for the 3000 which looks slightly better and might be better for playing games outside (but also has screen issues reported). What else can I do (legally) with my CFW that might sway me to keep it?

Also what are the chances of the whole PSP library appearing on PSN, and new releases hitting day and date with retail?
CFW has allowed me to not have to lug around my games when I take my PSP anywhere, this along with allowing me to play my PS1 collection on the go means I could never go back to non CFW.

In my view go for a 2000, the 3000 is a nice little upgrade, but the 2000 can be found quite cheaply 2nd hand.
Mejilan said:
Anyone fuck around with the new beta DaedalusX64 beta?
I would KILL to get shit like Zelda 64, Ogre Battle 64, and Perfect Dark running on a portable. I imagine this emulator is still very far from that, however, despite the new activity.
Just...wow, It's within touching distance of running SM64 at full speed at times, this is...incredible.

*Watches as his N64 explodes in rage in the corner, yet another console pissed off at me*

-Rogue5-

I'm just surprised at how awesome PS1 games look on the PSP... they look better than most PSP games.

Conclusion made: scale and size is everything when dealing with handheld graphics -- GoW:CoO and Daxter did it right, most other games don't. When you run a (traditionally) console game on the PSP it retains the size/scale of the console title, so it looks mint when compressed down to the tiny screen...

Mejilan

Bojanglez said:

Not all 2000s are crack-able. The newest bundles have new, Pandora-proof (for now) motherboards. If you're going to get a 2000, decide quickly and jump on one. No, I don't know how to identify a 2000 with an old mobo versus a 2000 with a newer mobo. You might be able to Google that, however.

Considering how awful PSN is for PSP retail games and PSOne classics, I wouldn't count on it ever catching up.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mejilan said:
Not all 2000s are crack-able. The newest bundles have new, Pandora-proof (for now) motherboards. If you're going to get a 2000, decide quickly and jump on one. No, I don't know how to identify a 2000 with an old mobo versus a 2000 with a newer mobo. You might be able to Google that, however.

Considering how awful PSN is for PSP retail games and PSOne classics, I wouldn't count on it ever catching up.

Oh had no idea! I thought all 2000s were crackable, thanks for the info. I will have to do some research as to how to tell, unless someone here can shed some light on it. My GF is buying me the PSP for Xmas from the company she works for (she gets 20% off) so not sure I can really shop around for a specific batch. I am in the UK and will be getting a white one, not sure if that would be enough to narrow it down though?

Mejilan said:

Sadly this is the truth right now =/

Purchased Jeanne D' Arc via PSP on PSN store (which felt awesome). When it came to downloading it, about an hour past and an 700mg download wasn't even halfway done! ...so yeah, had to just download it via PS3 and transfer to PSP

Here's hoping they throw more stuff up there like fucking now!
-Rogue5- said:
I'm just surprised at how awesome PS1 games look on the PSP... they look better than most PSP games.

Conclusion made: scale and size is everything when dealing with handheld graphics -- GoW:CoO and Daxter did it right, most other games don't. When you run a (traditionally) console game on the PSP it retains the size/scale of the console title, so it looks mint when compressed down to the tiny screen...

Absolutely! ...Mega Man 8 and Strider 2 look gorgeous!

Mejilan said:
It's probably something that's breaking down with your process. Whether there's something wrong with the rips that ISOBuster has given you, or something poorly configured on your end during the conversion process. My first recommendation would be to drop PSX2PSP. Try the one I suggest in my tutorial (accessible from the OP).

Really? I haven't had any trouble with it. POPsloader that much better?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I asked for help a couple of days ago and got a quick reply, but after needing to charge my battery I failed to check back in to let you know how it went. I feel this is necessary so as to show my thanks and because I’m an idiot, so nothing about updating a custom firmware should be assumed.

Smoothly. After some vanilla ass bootleg looking messages popped up, the rest of the process looked like an official update. In fact I was scared to proceed because I thought I was about to get Sony’s official firmware. After it was all said and done I’m up to speed with the newest custom fw. Thanks again for the help.

Mejilan

AgentOtaku said:
Really? I haven't had any trouble with it. POPsloader that much better?

I used to use PSX2PSP a year or two back, and generally had no complaints about it. That said, I eventually dropped it for the infinitely superior (at that point) RS GUI POPStationMD by Red Squirrel, the very same app featured in my tutorial.

I think you're a bit confused. POPSLoader is a CFW plugin that runs on the PSP that allows you to use multiple different versions of POPS (the Sony-developed PSOne emulator for the PSP), somewhat independent of the actual CFW you're currently running. It is not a competitor to PSX2PSP, a GUI-based PSOne ISO to PSP EBOOT conversion app.

That said, I'm sure that PSX2PSP is still a fine alternative, but there's clearly something wrong with his set up if he's getting bum PSOne games. It could be on the ISOBuster level, or the PSX2PSP level, or plainly on the PSP level.

Guled said:
If I was to get a new psp 2000 or 2001 would I be able to install a custom firmware on it?

Not necessarily. The newest 2000 batches have a new motherboard that is, as of yet, un-hackable. Apparently the GoW bundles are all hackable; with anything after that, you're playing with fire.

Gouty said:
Smoothly. After some vanilla ass bootleg looking messages popped up, the rest of the process looked like an official update. In fact I was scared to proceed because I thought I was about to get Sony’s official firmware. After it was all said and done I’m up to speed with the newest custom fw. Thanks again for the help.

Awesome. Good to hear that everything went well. Some time back, Dark-Alex repurposed Sony's official firmware installer/flasher for his CFW needs. Back with 3.71 M33, if I'm not mistaken.

Guled

Mejilan said:
Not necessarily. The newest 2000 batches have a new motherboard that is, as of yet, un-hackable. Apparently the GoW bundles are all hackable; with anything after that, you're playing with fire.
what about the R&C combo, are those after the GoW ones or before?

Mejilan

I really don't know. I'm just going by why Dragona said about 5 posts up. Both my 1000 and 2000 are launch units. Or, in the case of the 2000, a little after, since the piano black core came out about a month after the silver launched.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
-Rogue5- said:

I just started FF IX today (Boy being a UK'er didn't help me here, the game is nigh on rip proof, took 10 attempts and lots of swearing to find a way to do it), it looks great on the small PSP screen.

I think thats why I love CFW so much, it has enabled me to play my old PS1 collection (Games like Crash Bandicoot Warped, GT2, F1 97, and now FF IX) and they look better than ever.

-Rogue5-

I've got a quick popstation related question for you guys;

What's better -- Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, or other (Fear Effect)? I'm kind of on a PSX kick and want a heavily story driven title that looks good. I've been playing a bit of Chrono Cross, but a friend of mine keeps trying to get me to play Fear Effect and VS, saying they're amazing... Since I've only got a finite amount of memstick space, I need to stagger the order of how I play them. All of that said, I plan on picking up Star Ocean FD soon, too, so maybe PSXera jRPGs is a bad idea.

Mejilan

It's basically like comparing oranges (CC) to tangerines (VS) to apples (FE). And that's not really a POPStation-related question. ;p

IMHO, tangerines > *

-Rogue5-

Mejilan said:
It's basically like comparing oranges (CC) to tangerines (VS) to apples (FE). And that's not really a POPStation-related question. ;p

IMHO, tangerines > *

: ) Thanks... Yeah I knew it was only vaguely related to popstation, but I wanted to get some gaf input and didn't want to start a new thread.

SOLDIER

I received the 4gb card in the mail not too long ago, got 5.33 homebrew installed, so I want to try again and get RemoteJoy working.

Could someone please give me the step by step procedure to install RemoteJoy on my PSP? I really want to try and get my PSP games working fullscreen on my PC. Please help me out here.

jombag

I've updated to 5.00 m33-4 popsloader but I couldn't get my psx games to run on 5.00 ('Original from flash' option) pops. although I could run them on 4.01 pops. Is there something I missed?

Just wondering if the SNES9xTYLmecm emulator got an update since May 28th? Google isn't showing anything sooner, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

vilmer_

I managed to get Lunar 2 working great, until we exited the Spire with Lucia, then the PSP totally froze :( Wonder what went wrong? I followed the instructions step by step (although I used Clone CD to rip the disc).

Mejilan

vilmer_ said:
I managed to get Lunar 2 working great, until we exited the Spire with Lucia, then the PSP totally froze :( Wonder what went wrong? I followed the instructions step by step (although I used Clone CD to rip the disc).

Reproduce-able error? It might have been a one-shot. I've had those happen to me, rarely.

jombag said:
I've updated to 5.00 m33-4 popsloader but I couldn't get my psx games to run on 5.00 ('Original from flash' option) pops. although I could run them on 4.01 pops. Is there something I missed?

How many games have you tried? Same exact error with all of them?

Dragona Akehi said:
Just wondering if the SNES9xTYLmecm emulator got an update since May 28th? Google isn't showing anything sooner, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

Not to my knowledge. :(

Top Bottom