• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
YuriLowell said:
Sorry I meant April of this year.
So probably no?

I don't think that the Pandora-proof motherboards had hit yet. I'm 95% sure that you'll be fine with a Pandora battery.

DKnight said:
Hey guys, I just upgraded to the last CFW, and noticed the PS store is there! can I access it and download and buy stuff, or will they block or ban me because of the CFW?
Sorry if it's been asked or discussed before, this thread is a behemot.

The same night that 5.00 M33-4 came out (which, btw, restored PSP-level PSN access), I upgraded my PSP and purchased the new PSP version of Everyday Shooter via my PS3.

Instead of using a USB cable to transfer the game from the PS3 to the PSP, I tested the new CFW by taking it online, signing into my shared PS3/PSP PSN account, and downloading the recently purchased Everyday Shooter to my PSP. It recognized that I had purchased the game minutes before, and allowed me to download it without issue. Plays just fine too. :)

I have heard of absolutely NO confirmed reports of bannings from the PSN due to accessing it via a CFW'ed PSP.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Mejilan said:
The same night that 5.00 M33-4 came out (which, btw, restored PSP-level PSN access), I upgraded my PSP and purchased the new PSP version of Everyday Shooter via my PS3.

Instead of using a USB cable to transfer the game from the PS3 to the PSP, I tested the new CFW by taking it online, signing into my shared PS3/PSP PSN account, and downloading the recently purchased Everyday Shooter to my PSP. It recognized that I had purchased the game minutes before, and allowed me to download it without issue. Plays just fine too. :)

I have heard of absolutely NO confirmed reports of bannings from the PSN due to accessing it via a CFW'ed PSP.
Thanks! I will definitely try it later.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm having this weird problem where games will load up and I can access the menu etc.. but when I load a level it just hangs there. No activity on the memory stick light either. Nothing happens and the games just stay at the "now loading" screen forever.

3.80 lol, maybe I should upgrade.
I haven't used my psp in a while though so nothing has changed and the last time I used it everything was fine.

pancakesandsex said:
Anyone ever get chrono cross working properly with minimal monkeying around?

I had it working fine a couple years ago. Can't remember if I did anything special.

I was poking around moving Persona 2: IS onto the PSP, and found this handy guide for converting PSX saves from either a PSX memory stick or from ePSXe save files onto the PSP. Didn't see anything in the OP, and it seemed like it could come in handy.

Does anyone know of a way to disable the analog stick in popsloader? I have Joysens, which works fine in the XMB and in regular games, but it doesn't seem to work in popsloader.

Edit: It may be a problem at my end. I updated to the latest version which apparently is supposed to work in POPS, but it's not doing anything.

So I jumped from 3.90M33 straight to 5.00M33-4 and my old saves have corrupted aparently (My Star Ocean saves :( ) anyway to make them work with 5.00?

Mejilan

You didn't back up your memory stick before doing the deed?
It's usually a good idea to back up your memory stick AND format it before the update, then perform another quick format after the update, before restoring your data.

The reformat after the fact isn't crucial, but it does simultaneously kill the no-longer-necessary update and related files, and set up the new CFW folders (some of which change from CFW to CFW).

Mejilan said:
You didn't back up your memory stick before doing the deed?
It's usually a good idea to back up your memory stick AND format it before the update, then perform another quick format after the update, before restoring your data.

The reformat after the fact isn't crucial, but it does simultaneously kill the no-longer-necessary update and related files, and set up the new CFW folders (some of which change from CFW to CFW).

I just ran the updater :/. The saves are there and the PSP can see the Information on them but when I load them up in Star Ocean it tells me the data is corrupted. I'll drag my files off and format it tomorrow. Worse comes to worse I'll downgrade back to 3.90

Mejilan

I've had no issues with my Star Ocean game on 5.00 M33-4, so I'd be surprised to learn that's what's screwing you over.

Mejilan said:
I've had no issues with my Star Ocean game on 5.00 M33-4, so I'd be surprised to learn that's what's screwing you over.

Yeah I've never had this issues and I've upgraded/downgraded my PSP's lots of times.. Only thing I can think is that I jumped so far.. I normally get every update as them come but got lazy this time cause everything I wanted worked on 3.90. I'm not that far on Star Ocean but I wouldn't like to lose my progress >.<

Mejilan

4.01 M33 was the only other major CFW you missed. So that's definitely not the issue.
You can safely update to 5.00 M33-4 from anything as far back as 3.52 M33-3, IIRC.

So, I was on 3.7xx for a good long while. I've recently upgraded, finally, to 4.0x and I've lost my popsloader that lets you pick which firmware's pops to use? Is it worth it to go through the trouble to reinstall this? Also, what are the advantages to going to the lastest firmware? Is there a popsloader for this?

RiverBed said:
I only use those 'easy installers' where the process is almost entirely automatic.

Network Update is your answer. Just go into recovery menu and ensure that "Use M33 Servers for Network Update" is enabled.

RiverBed

Banned
what do you mean by Network Update? do you mean using PSP's wifi to update? but that will get me the latest official FW.

sorry, I am not following CFW development so I am completely in the dark (hence why I can only use easy installers).

RiverBed said:
what do you mean by Network Update? do you mean using PSP's wifi to update? but that will get me the latest official FW.

sorry, I am not following CFW development so I am completely in the dark (hence why I can only use easy installers).

Yes, the PSP wifi thingie. From 3.80 onwards, you can have your PSP automatically connect to dark_alex's servers to install the next CFW.

What you need to do is just confirm that his plugin is working. Go into the Recovery Menu (hold R on bootup of your PSP) and then select Configuration. From there third up from the bottom there should be a selection that says "Use M33 network update" and make sure it says "enabled".

Then you can safely use the PSP's wifi to update your unit with no fuss, no muss, no installation programme stuff.

The only problem is that occasionally, d_a's servers get hammered and you cannot connect.

RiverBed

Banned
wow, that's the best PSP news I've heard about since the news of the first CFW. thanks for that. I am really happy now. :)

happycat.jpg

I am using CFW on my launch-era PSP and have been for a long time. I always run in the 333Mhz mode.

I am running into an issue within the past couple weeks where it will lock up while in-game within 30sec to 2 min of launching it and turn off the backlight. The screen is dark but the power light is on. If you look at the screen in bright light you can see that the LCD still has the image of whatever was being played when it locked up but since there is no backlight it just sits there.

I have to hold in the power or remove the battery to restore functionality.

I know this may be OT but I suppose it could be related to CFW or "overclocking" and wondered if anyone had heard of this issue before.

RiverBed said:
wow, that's the best PSP news I've heard about since the news of the first CFW. thanks for that. I am really happy now. :)

Glad I could help.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I am using CFW on my launch-era PSP and have been for a long time. I always run in the 333Mhz mode.

I am running into an issue within the past couple weeks where it will lock up while in-game within 30sec to 2 min of launching it and turn off the backlight. The screen is dark but the power light is on. If you look at the screen in bright light you can see that the LCD still has the image of whatever was being played when it locked up but since there is no backlight it just sits there.

I have to hold in the power or remove the battery to restore functionality.

I know this may be OT but I suppose it could be related to CFW or "overclocking" and wondered if anyone had heard of this issue before.

Is it with all games, or a certain one? I've never had a problem in my 26 games ever with 333mhz mode.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
MiloFoxburr said:
I just ran the updater :/. The saves are there and the PSP can see the Information on them but when I load them up in Star Ocean it tells me the data is corrupted. I'll drag my files off and format it tomorrow. Worse comes to worse I'll downgrade back to 3.90

I've seen this issue happen when people upgrade.

You have two options

1 - Downgrade back to the firmware you were originally and just play your game.

2 - Use Hellcats SavegameDeemer to decrypt the savegame file (must be done on the fw it was created on) and then update your fw, and load your decrypted save. You can then normally save and your save will have been updated for the new fw.

This sort of thing doesn't happen too often, thankfully.

Mejilan

I used to use Y.A.C.C. (Yet Another CSO Compressor) back in the days to spectacular results.

Nowadays I don't bother, since I've upgraded my memory stick, and on newer CFWs, games tend to perform better uncompressed. If it's a game with heavy streaming from the UMD, don't bother compressing. Games that don't stream, and older titles, tend to work just fine though, even fully compressed.

Y.A.C.C. can also remove those silly little bits that you don't really need in your ISO or CSO, such as the on-disc firmware updater files.

Karish

I just got a Silver Slim PSP from someone on craigslist. I don't know when he got it, but I want to install custom firmware. How do I do this on a silm? The current firmware is 3.80. PLEASE HELP

DanDeschain said:
So, I was on 3.7xx for a good long while. I've recently upgraded, finally, to 4.0x and I've lost my popsloader that lets you pick which firmware's pops to use? Is it worth it to go through the trouble to reinstall this? Also, what are the advantages to going to the lastest firmware? Is there a popsloader for this?

Well I know (from recent personal experience) that if you wanna play Chrono Cross on your PSP that pops 3.72 is the best way to go.

So I guess you need to make sure that you have both 4.01 and 3.72 pops. Those are the two I would have [because you need the impose.prx from 4.01]

This post does a better job of explaining....

Mejilan

I heard that POPS 5.00 can be just as good for Chrono Cross as POPS 3.72, but my experiences show otherwise. 3.72 is definitely the way to go, for CC.

Mejilan

Blakero said:
I just got a Silver Slim PSP from someone on craigslist. I don't know when he got it, but I want to install custom firmware. How do I do this on a silm? The current firmware is 3.80. PLEASE HELP

You'll need a Pandora battery.

Karish

Mejilan said:
You'll need a Pandora battery.

Ok. If I buy one, is it something I need to hold on to or can I sell it after I use it once? Also would anyone here send me their battery so I could use it once and send it back to them?

Mejilan

You could sell it, but it's always nice to have one in case of an emergency. It can unbrick most fucked PSPs.

Despertar del Cementerio v8 is out!

Changes in version 8
-----------------------

- Updated to 5.00 M33-4

Installation:

- DC iplloader doesn't require to mspformat the memory stick.
However, in some memory stick it may still be necessary.
Just run the program and if you find an error at 99%, run mspformat and try again.

- Copy DC8 to PSP/GAME/

- Download Sony 5.00 update eboot and copy it to ms rootwith the name 500.PBP

- If you have a PTF custom theme set, quit it before running the program.

- Use the app under a 3.x+ kernel. The program may not work in versions prior to 3.03 OE.

- IF timemachine is installed in this memory stick, the program will ask you at the end which button(s) you want to boot DC7, otherwise no buttons will be necessary.

- Now you have a pandora ms ready to go, and you just need a proper
battery. If you have 1.50 kernel access, use c+d tool. Otherwise, use corly149 tool.

Unbricking:

- Select the desired option in the menu (Install 5.00 M33, Install 5.00 OFW, etc)

- Nand operations-> nand restore currently performs a physical nand dump

This proccess is very dangerous, and you should *just* use it if it's your
last chance to get it working.

This is a physical restore process (not a logical one), and will try to make
a 100% exact clon of the dump.

If you are working with a dump that isn't yours, you will get either a brick
or a corrupt idstorage, depending on the firmware.

If while you are restoring your psp have got any damaged block more than
when you dumped it, you might also get a brick, depending on what block is it.
If you want to boot the recovery mode of the 5.00 M33 of the memory stick, boot
the psp with R+the key used to boot DC7 (if any).

- Lflash format (in nand operations menu)

This function performs a physical format of the lflash, creates the 4 partitions again, with the
user desired sizes (by default, they are set to the default of that system), and then performs
a logical format of the 4 partitions.

This function allows to fix some errors that appear in 5.00 M33 installation: Error assigning flashX, psp not booting after installing 5.00 M33, etc.

It is also useful for fat users that want to make flash0 bigger by making the other partitions smaller.

Note: the sizes shown in the menu refer to the size of the physical partition. The size of the
logical partition maybe a bit smaller.

No need to say that this operations deletes current content of flash. After lflash format, the
flash is empty, you need to install 5.00 M33/OFW.

- Create new idstorage (in nand operations menu, idstorage tools)

This function destroys the current idstorage (if any), and creates a new one.
It is useful when your idstorage has been corrupted and you didn't have a backup like hapenned to me with one psp :)

Keys restore: common keys, and for first time region/openpsid/dnas/certificate keys and umd keys.

What will and won't work after this?

UMD: yes.
Set time via internet (DNAS): yes
adhoc: not tested, but hopefully it will work
psn games: not tested but it should work. However your current bought games will not work, as your psp will be identified as a new device.
usb: yes, your psp and ps3 will detect it as a new device because the psp identifier (psid) has changed.
magicgate (drm videos/audio): it has not been tested, but it should NOT work, as a way to generate magicgates keys (0x10-0x13) has not been found (yet).

First step: select a region for your new idstorage. If your region is not there, just select
whatever one, also if it is there, you can select another one if you want :)
The region affects also umd videos/audios.

Second step (optional): Press enter button to find real mac address (wifi switch must be on).
If this step fails, then just press -> to continue and a random mac will be generated (in this case after idstorage creation, shutdown the psp, restart DC and goto idstorage tools -> fix mac, this time it should work unless there is a hardware problem).

Last step is to press enter, and your new idstorage will be created.

- Change region ((in nand operations menu, idstorage tools)

This allows to change the region of the psp and the umd drive. After this, your psp will be able to play umd's of other region.
As a side effect, your psp will be identified as a new device, so you'll have to download/buy
psn games again, configure ps3 remote control again, etc.

----

Note: If you are gonna use the memory stick to restore a psp other than the one that created it,
check if the file /TM/DC7/act.dat exists in the ms. If it exists, remove it, otherwise the restored psp may not be able to buy psn games until the user doesn't delete from flash2 the act.dat of the other psp. (act.dat files are unique for each psp).

Note that act.dat will be restored to the moment of the MS creation.
If you have bought other PSN game later, the act.dat file may have changed and if you restore the old one, you may loose the latest bought game.
Backup flash2:/act.dat each time after you buy something from the PSN!

-----------
Third party libraries

This program uses intraFont by BenHur to render firmware fonts.
intraFont modified code has been compiled in a separated prx, and its source
and the original license can be found in intrafont directory.

Karish

Mejilan said:
You could sell it, but it's always nice to have one in case of an emergency. It can unbrick most fucked PSPs.

And where is the cheapest reliable store online to get these. I see some for 8 bucks through google, are these legit?

Mejilan

I don't know. I've never purchased one, and never would. I make my own!
One of navanman's tutorials (linked through the OP) has a link to a store where you can get legit ones, but I have no idea if they're a good deal.

Edit - Also, it bears mentioning that some of the newer Slims out there have Pandora-proof motherboards...

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm thinking about getting a PSP and being able to use a CFW and all of its homebrew goodness is a must (I'd love to play Mother 3 on it); what exactly should I be looking for? All these model numbers thing is confusing me, I don't really keep up with PSP news; I know the PSP-3000 isn't an option, so the only thing I should look for is a 2000/slim model? How do I distinguish between the two, as in, is the number on the box or something? Or are the 2000 models also divided somehow and there's something else I should pay attention to?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh and, other than what's included in the box, what if anything do I have to buy to install CFW or homebrew or whatever? What's this pandora battery thing?

Edit 2: I've read the last 6 pages and it seems that even buying a 2000 is risky? Is the GoW-bundle being safe thing mentioned a few pages back true? I still have no idea what the pandora thing is, how it works and if I'd have to buy one though.

alba

Little is the new Big
I just bought (import) PSP2000, SanDisk Memory Duo Pro and a Pandora battery, now i'm just waiting until I get everything

*dance*

Karish

I see a lot of talk about the firmware itself, but what are some of the good homebrew games and apps I can look forward to once I get my PSP CFWed?

ALSO: Is there a CFW hack that lets the music player read multiple subfolders?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to access the NA PSN store with a PAL PSP, and if so, how? I have a PSP Slim CFW 5.00.

I've only been able to access the PAL one so far. It doesn't have Crash Bandicoot 2.

Thanks for the response. I don't have a PS3, just a PSP. When I signed up to PSN on my PSP last night, the only country I could pick was the UK. No choice to switch...I guess this is because I have a UK machine? Is there any way I can set one up online or something, not via PSP or switch country setting?

Thanks.

NekoFever

Go into the recovery menu and set your region to US (or UK, or whatever) in the configuration menu. If that doesn't work it's probably controlled by IP, in which case your only way around it would be to find a US-based proxy server to connect through.

Top Bottom