• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
EGM92 said:
I tried to reflash, I got 4.01 installed and still no luck. I get a black screen and that's pretty much it, no sound, nothing. Is there a way to turn a CFW into a factory original PSP2000??

I can now exit games through the home button without it crashing/freezing.

Try reformatting your flash1 through the recovery console. Could be something wrong there.

You can always just go ahead and flash a regular Sony firmware to revert back to stock firmware.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Try reformatting your flash1 through the recovery console. Could be something wrong there.

You can always just go ahead and flash a regular Sony firmware to revert back to stock firmware.

I've formatted flash1, nothing happened but resetting my settings.

What should I be doing to flash it back to an original firmware??

Mejilan

I've never done it, but I imagine you'll be able to simply download a Sony firmware installer of your choice and run it.

Barring that, you can always use a version of Dark-Alex's Despertar del Cementerio (DC) to force a flash of official firmware. Each version of DC comes with support for a different flavor of official firmware (and its corresponding custom firmware variant.)

Before giving up though, download Chillywilly's Keycleaner app and run it.
It might find corrupted keys that, when fixed, will restore your PSP to full CFW functionality.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
I've never done it, but I imagine you'll be able to simply download a Sony firmware installer of your choice and run it.

Barring that, you can always use a version of Dark-Alex's Despertar del Cementerio (DC) to force a flash of official firmware. Each version of DC comes with support for a different flavor of official firmware (and its corresponding custom firmware variant.)

Before giving up though, download Chillywilly's Keycleaner app and run it.
It might find corrupted keys that, when fixed, will restore your PSP to full CFW functionality.

I can the keycleaner but there's no sort of repair tool, I used version of 1.4, I select my motherboard TA-085 and it finds one key which failed in analyzing 0x0043 "failed! This key is a copy of key 0x0043" that's all I get, I don't have any repair options or anything.

Suggestion?

Mejilan

Are you sure that's your motherboard?

Edit - Actually, I hear that DC7 can also fix key issues by creating new ones. It might be even better than Keycleaner, in that sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ruu9QAMK4

Worst case scenario, it doesn't fix your issues, you can still use DC7 to flash official firmware.

Edit 2 - DC8 is out now, but this Youtube tutorial might still work with that.

Mejilan

joaomgcd said:
Damn... So I won't be safe just buying one from amazon, right? Any tips on how to be sure I'm getting the right one?

A page or two back Dragona posted that a specific PSP 2000 bundle is still pretty much safe. The GoW bundle, I think. I know that the Madden bundles can be either/or, and I'd imagine the same with the R&C bundles.

joaomgcd said:
Damn... So I won't be safe just buying one from amazon, right? Any tips on how to be sure I'm getting the right one?

I'm pretty sure the Maddens are fine across the board, same with the GoWs. I remember hearing that the Star Wars bundles were questionable, but I put custom firmware on a friend of mine's with no issues.

Mejilan

Peronthious said:
I'm pretty sure the Maddens are fine across the board, same with the GoWs. I remember hearing that the Star Wars bundles were questionable, but I put custom firmware on a friend of mine's with no issues.

Maddens are definitely not OK across the board, at least according to Dark-Alex and company who have been ripping apart the recent video claiming to have proof of hacking an un-hackable model...

EGM92

Peronthious said:

God of War bundles are NOT ALL CRACKABLE! I've had 4 people come to me with bundles they got for Christmas, 3 of which were not able to be pandora'd it was weird though, all the PSP's were bought from the same store, the first one didn't work, popped in the memory card and battery into a second unit and it worked fine, had everything installed and running within a minute or 2, the other 2 just refused to boot.

The maddens I've done though all worked.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Are you sure that's your motherboard?

Edit - Actually, I hear that DC7 can also fix key issues by creating new ones. It might be even better than Keycleaner, in that sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ruu9QAMK4

Worst case scenario, it doesn't fix your issues, you can still use DC7 to flash official firmware.

Edit 2 - DC8 is out now, but this Youtube tutorial might still work with that.

I've been using DC7/8 to install FW's I tried installing an official firmware with DC7 4.01 and it worked but after reflashing to 5.00 it still refused to boot PSX games/ISO's

I watched the video link you posted and though it didn't fix my booting problem it did fix my wifi connection not working.

Mejilan

We must be on the right track, then. What does Keycleaner say now, about your keys?
Also, I'm assuming that these PSOne games/UMD ISOs all worked for you before, yes?

EGM92

The key cleaner states everything clear. Yes of course the games all worked before, I have a 30+hr save file of Xenosaga which was done from playing on the PSP.

Mejilan

Alright, so it seems like your wifi issues were related to that bad key.
Theoretically, everything else should be fine.
Are you using POPSLoader to load up your PSOne games?
When they were working before, was it with this CFW or an older? Because POPS 5.00 broke a lot of games that previously ran, and to continue playing them, you'll NEED POPSLoader set up to utilize the older, still-working (for each game) version of POPS.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Alright, so it seems like your wifi issues were related to that bad key.
Theoretically, everything else should be fine.
Are you using POPSLoader to load up your PSOne games?
When they were working before, was it with this CFW or an older? Because POPS 5.00 broke a lot of games that previously ran, and to continue playing them, you'll NEED POPSLoader set up to utilize the older, still-working (for each game) version of POPS.

Here's what happened, I was running CFW 5.00M33-4 while playing these games, never needed POPSLoader to get Xenogears to bootup so never used it. I lent out my PSP to my brother, he updated a newer version, which doesn't seem to be from Dark Alex, I reverted back to 5.00m33 and homebrew/isos/psx things stopped loading, I lowered it down to 4.01 and it fixed the problem with homebrew not working. I upgraded back to 5.00m33 and the problems still occured. Booting of isos/psx games would still refuse to boot, it loads to the white PSP screen, the memory card reads and then black. Nothing happens at all, I've let it sit for 5-10 minutes and nothing happens. I loaded to 4.01 official firmware, and upgraded to CFW 4.01 still having issues. Now I'm at 4.01m33-2 still, with my wifi finally working but games not working.

Mejilan

Shit. He upgraded to those hack-job "5.02 M33" variants that some fools cobbled together, and I warned against a few days ago? There are two, that I know of, and one of them expressly disables ISO loading, as I understand it.

I can't say I know about the ins and outs of OFW/CFW flashing, if some methods (regular installer, DC, Pandora) perform "more complete" flashes or not. But if I had to guess, then that non-Dark-Alex 5.02 M33 flasher that your brother used broke something that the flashers we've used so far isn't fixing.

Have you tried using a Pandora to re-flash your PSP? Perhaps that'll catch something DC missed? We're in unknown territory for me here. But I'll try to see if I can scrape up some more answers somewhere, in the mean time.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm fielding loads of Server 500 errors right now...

Edit - And yeah, when I have compatibility issues with ISOs or PSOne games, it's usually a black screen hang followed by an auto-shut off half a minute or so later.

Edit 2 - Boot into the recovery console and go through the menus one by one, looking for anything that might be off. Sometimes flashing a lot of firmware updates can dick around with your ISO loading settings. I don't think so, but it's possible that your ISO issues are related to that. Make sure you're set to use the M33 UMD ISO loader, not the Sony one (or any other options)...

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Shit. He upgraded to those hack-job "5.02 M33" variants that some fools cobbled together, and I warned against a few days ago? There are two, that I know of, and one of them expressly disables ISO loading, as I understand it.

I can't say I know about the ins and outs of OFW/CFW flashing, if some methods (regular installer, DC, Pandora) perform "more complete" flashes or not. But if I had to guess, then that non-Dark-Alex 5.02 M33 flasher that your brother used broke something that the flashers we've used so far isn't fixing.

Have you tried using a Pandora to re-flash your PSP? Perhaps that'll catch something DC missed? We're in unknown territory for me here. But I'll try to see if I can scrape up some more answers somewhere, in the mean time.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm fielding loads of Server 500 errors right now...

Edit - And yeah, when I have compatibility issues with ISOs or PSOne games, it's usually a black screen hang followed by an auto-shut off half a minute or so later.

Edit 2 - Boot into the recovery console and go through the menus one by one, looking for anything that might be off. Sometimes flashing a lot of firmware updates can dick around with your ISO loading settings. I don't think so, but it's possible that your ISO issues are related to that. Make sure you're set to use the M33 UMD ISO loader, not the Sony one (or any other options)...

That fucking asshole :mad: I'm going to smash this into his fucking face. I'm currently using the PSP Pandora Deluxe program to setup my psp, it uses the DC7/DC8 to loadup CFW/OFW. It installs everything by the "Pandora Installer for 3.xx+ -R4D-". Is there a better installer to use? Would formatting Flash0 get rid of all settings/firmwares and revert it to factory settings?

I've been through the recovery menu everything is fine, I don't use any PRX plugin's or anything. The ISO drievr always resets to the default one, I always set it back to M33.

I'm also experiencing very slow GAF sessions/500 errors. No problems, I appreciate the help. I'm in no rush to get the PSP working, I'm just home from work till Jan 2nd and I'd love to get some Xenogears time into it.

Edit: Just called up my idiot brother and asked him what he installed, he said he used the Team Omega install of the update which isn't supposed to lock out the ISO's and such.

Mejilan

Yes, the Team Omega release is a totally reversed take on 5.00 M33 with the 5.02 core kernel applied. It breaks a lot of plugins, apps, and homebrew, but as far as I can tell, is supposed to support ISO loading and PSOne games, to a certain extent. I just finished reading something like 8 pages, but instead of a discussion of the merits of the firmware, it devolved into a firmware flame war.

I've seen people demonstrating that it installed fine (XMB system setting screen caps), subsequently stating that lots of plugins are broken, but nothing about having issues in reverting back to M33 firmwares. I'll keep digging.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed at my brother if he did this to me as well. At least, without calling and asking first. My brother is utterly clueless about such things, and that alone would prevent him from doing this. Your brothers seems to know enough about the scene, that he really should have known better.

Mejilan

Wait a second. The dude that installed this Team Omega release and tested homebrew mentions that Recovery Flasher 1.50 worked on it, and using it, he was able to restore himself to 5.00 M33-4. He doesn't follow up with any issues, so I'm assuming that restore was a total success. Edit - The only caveat that I can add is that theoretically, this app can get you to 5.00 M33-4 in one of two ways: A clean reinstall, or by restoring from a previously-installed 5.00 M33-4 backup, which this app can also do. He didn't mention which option he used to break himself from Team Omega 5.02 back down to 5.00 M33-4.

http://exophase.com/psp/recovery-flasher-v150-9407.htm?exopage=4

I've never used this app, but Hellcat is a very reliable coder.
I would try to give this a shot to reflash 5.00 M33-4.

Best of luck, buddy!

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Wait a second. The dude that installed this Team Omega release and tested homebrew mentions that Recovery Flasher 1.50 worked on it, and using it, he was able to restore himself to 5.00 M33-4. He doesn't follow up with any issues, so I'm assuming that restore was a total success. Edit - The only caveat that I can add is that theoretically, this app can get you to 5.00 M33-4 in one of two ways: A clean reinstall, or by restoring from a previously-installed 5.00 M33-4 backup, which this app can also do. He didn't mention which option he used to break himself from Team Omega 5.02 back down to 5.00 M33-4.

http://exophase.com/psp/recovery-flasher-v150-9407.htm?exopage=4

I've never used this app, but Hellcat is a very reliable coder.
I would try to give this a shot to reflash 5.00 M33-4.

Best of luck, buddy!

Thanks, I'm trying to fix this, I'm updating to the latest version of OFW then going to install CFW 5.00m33-4 hopefully that shit works or I'm going to freak.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Do give that Recovery Flasher 1.50 a try as well, yes?
I hope it all works out.

Yes I tried the Recovery Flasher 1.50, I installed 3.71 but that didn't work... I installed using the DC6 installer which is 4.01m33 and still no luck :( I highly doubt 5.00m33-4 will do anything but that's my last resort.

Mejilan

Crap. He probably used Recovery Flasher 1.50 to back up his own CFW before fucking around with Team Omega's 5.02.

Sorry man, I'm all out of ideas. Did you ever try formatting your flash0? I have no idea if that'll help or hurt at this point.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Crap. He probably used Recovery Flasher 1.50 to back up his own CFW before fucking around with Team Omega's 5.02.

Sorry man, I'm all out of ideas. Did you ever try formatting your flash0? I have no idea if that'll help or hurt at this point.

I highly doubt that he used this Recovery Flasher program, I know more than him, much more, and I didn't know about it :p He never mentioned it, he said that he straight updated it like you would a normal CFW firmware. All Homebrew seems to bootup fine now, including emulators sans PSX. All that's not working is PSX/ISO/CSO loading.

How would I go about flashing my flash0? through the standard recovery menu?

jombag said:
Sorry to butt in but who is that on your avatar egm? hehe

She's my girlfriend.

Mejilan

EGM92 said:
I highly doubt that he used this Recovery Flasher program, I know more than him, much more, and I didn't know about it :p He never mentioned it, he said that he straight updated it like you would a normal CFW firmware. All Homebrew seems to bootup fine now, including emulators sans PSX. All that's not working is PSX/ISO/CSO loading.

How would I go about flashing my flash0? through the standard recovery menu?

No, no, I'm not talking about your brother before he fucked with your PSP. I'm talking about the tester who's comments I was reading about before he fucked with his PSP. You know, where I got the name of this program to begin with...

So, your goodies are all up and running except for ISOs and PSOne games. Strange. Have you tried loading a game straight from its UMD?

I thought you might be able to reformat the flash0 from the recovery console. I've never done it. I know that fucking with your flash0 is very dangerous and can lead to bricking. Whatever you do, I would not open up the flash0 via USB, select all, and delete!

EGM92

Mejilan said:
No, no, I'm not talking about your brother before he fucked with your PSP. I'm talking about the tester who's comments I was reading about before he fucked with his PSP. You know, where I got the name of this program to begin with...

Oh sorry :( Would loading someone elses backup from their PSP to my PSP and loading the backup through the flasher work?

Mejilan

EGM92 said:
Oh sorry :( Would loading someone elses backup from their PSP to my PSP and loading the backup through the flasher work?

Check the edit to my previous post, I edited it while you were quoting.
Restoring from someone else's backup can have lots of nasty consequences, corrupted keys being the least of your worries. It could also result in an outright brick.

But, it might be a way to go. I'm not 100% sure what my Slim's mobo is (it's a US black launch PSP 2000, so it must have hit in late Sept or Oct of 2007). Running 5.00 M33-4, of course. If you want to risk it, I can perform a backup of mine using Recovery Flasher 1.50, and send it on to you.

We're in what's for me, very unknown territory though. So I'd definitely leave it as a last resort, completely at your discretion. It's not a course of action I'd normally recommend, but unless some other of our experts here chime in, I think we're running out of options.

Edit - Nevermind. A quick Google search later, and I must have a TA-085 PSP 2000 mobo. So I think we're good, on that end.

TJ Spyke

Question, does the PSP-3000 have that on the box (or is there another way to tell if I am getting a PSP-2000 or 3000?).

Is the 3000 homebrewable? I plan to get a PSP eventually, and would like to play some homebrew games (including certain games that I can't ask for here).

B.K.

TJ Spyke said:
Question, does the PSP-3000 have that on the box (or is there another way to tell if I am getting a PSP-2000 or 3000?)

There's a little icon on the bottom left corner of the front of the box that tells what model it is.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Check the edit to my previous post, I edited it while you were quoting.
Restoring from someone else's backup can have lots of nasty consequences, corrupted keys being the least of your worries. It could also result in an outright brick.

But, it might be a way to go. I'm not 100% sure what my Slim's mobo is (it's a US black launch PSP 2000, so it must have hit in late Sept or Oct of 2007). Running 5.00 M33-4, of course. If you want to risk it, I can perform a backup of mine using Recovery Flasher 1.50, and send it on to you.

We're in what's for me, very unknown territory though. So I'd definitely leave it as a last resort, completely at your discretion. It's not a course of action I'd normally recommend, but unless some other of our experts here chime in, I think we're running out of options.

If you have a launch slim you most likely have a TA-085 board, newer crackable Slims use Rev2 of the TA-085 boards, I'm using a white unit from the starwars bundles.

Mejilan

Once again, you've missed my stealth edit. I've already confirmed that I'm using a TA-085 mobo! So in that sense, we're compatible. Again, let me know if you'd like me to backup my firmware...

B.K.

Is backing up the Flash0 and Flash1 a good idea? I've never had any problems updating firmware, but I'm always paranoid every time I do that something will go wrong.

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Once again, you've missed my stealth edit. I've already confirmed that I'm using a TA-085 mobo! So in that sense, we're compatible. Again, let me know if you'd like me to backup my firmware...

I'm going to ask some buddys when they come online, they develope PSP homebrew and such maybe they know some inner workings that you don't, if they're not able to help I'll definitely send you a PM as a last resort if it's not too much trouble on your side. And yes I keep missing your edits, I keep getting called away from my desk everytime I'm in the middle of a reply.

Thanks for the help!

Mejilan

Awesome. I hope they can help. But if not, I'll be ready to give you my backup. It's no hassle for me, so don't worry about it!

Good luck! :D

EGM92

I talked to my buddies unfortunately firmware isn't part of their speciality, they don't understand what's wrong with the PSP itself. Would you mind backing up your FW and uploading it somewhere? I'd really appreciate it. GAF keeps timingout when PM'ing you, sorry.

Mejilan

Ahh, sorry they couldn't help. Shame. :(

I'm a up a full two hours past my bed time. Had to finish Prince of Persia... finally did. Watching the credits now. I need to get up in about 4 hours for work, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow evening/night, if that's alright with you. Even if it's not, actually. I can get to it first thing upon returning home from the office (~6:30 PM EST).

:)

EGM92

Mejilan said:
Ahh, sorry they couldn't help. Shame. :(

I'm a up a full two hours past my bed time. Had to finish Prince of Persia... finally did. Watching the credits now. I need to get up in about 4 hours for work, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow evening/night, if that's alright with you. Even if it's not, actually. I can get to it first thing upon returning home from the office (~6:30 PM EST).

:)

Whenever you're able to it's fine with me, again no rush. Though I am a bit anxious to see if this actually works. Just curious, is it possible to completely brick a PSP without a chance of repair?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
EGM92 said:
Whenever you're able to it's fine with me, again no rush. Though I am a bit anxious to see if this actually works. Just curious, is it possible to completely brick a PSP without a chance of repair?
I doubt it. I've deleted flash0 off a Phat via flash0 USB and I was still able to recover it using DC8 and a pandora battery.

Mejilan

EGM92 said:

A total and irreversible bricking? I've heard that evil malware can do that. I've never actually seen or heard it happen, however.

Alright. I've got my NAND and CFW flash both backed up. I suppose I'll just PM you, then.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
VicViper said:
I've just taken a few screenshots of RemoteJoyLite running on my computer and PSP so I felt like sharing them. It's such an awesome application, everyone should try it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1492.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1493.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1498.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1499.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1509.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/VicViperZero/IMG_1510-1.jpg

Wipeout Pulse and Super Stardust Portable on my 22" LCD, controlled with a Dual Shock.

Video: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHN9lRb8CzE[/url][/QUOTE]

I tried the RemoteJoy a few days ago. It works extremely well on "slower" games (Jeanne D'Arc) but when I tried "faster" games (like DJ Max Portable 2 and Super Stardust) I noticed a lot of lag and a drop of frame rate when playing on the PC.

I guess that has to do more with my PC than the actual application right?

I might just switch back to OFW. I want to buy stuff from the store, but can't cause my FW is too low. Is there anyway of getting on it without having to go back to OFW?

Mejilan

5.00 M33-4 can connect to the PSN just fine. I picked up the PSP version of Everyday Shooter a few weeks ago.

We told you this back on the 21st the last time you griped about it.

Mejilan said:
5.00 M33-4 can connect to the PSN just fine. I picked up the PSP version of Everyday Shooter a few weeks ago.

We told you this back on the 21st the last time you griped about it.
Oh, must of missed it. Sorry. Can I download M33-4 straight from the PSP?

Mejilan

Yeah, if you have a relatively recent CFW and have the M33 Network Update enabled in the recovery console, then you can just hit Network Update on the XMB to update to the newest CFW. If, for whatever reason, you have M33 Network Update disabled, then you'll download Sony's newest OFW. You don't want that.

Mejilan said:
Yeah, if you have a relatively recent CFW and have the M33 Network Update enabled in the recovery console, then you can just hit Network Update on the XMB to update to the newest CFW. If, for whatever reason, you have M33 Network Update disabled, then you'll download Sony's newest OFW. You don't want that.
Weird. I just checked the recovery menu, and I have the M33 Network Update enabled, but when I like Network Update on the PSP, it tell my I have the latest firmware. Right now I'm running 5.00 M33. Any ideas?

Top Bottom