• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

suffah

Does maths and stuff
BirdFlu said:
EDIT: NM I just found a ceramic white PSP on ebay (PSP-2000CW) from Japan. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is under TA-088 v3

Make 1000% sure. I imported a brand new ceramic white PSP from ebay a couple of months ago...and it was a TA-088 v3. :(

M3wThr33

Banned
slidewinder said:

Given the nature of the person, he probably has the piracy-mantra for games. When you don't pay for them, it's VERY VERY EASY to dismiss stuff as crap since you have no investment in it. You don't need to spend time in it. You got it for free.

I'm not saying he's a pirate, but Gripshift is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from the worst game on any console. I'm just trying to understand the quote.

BirdFlu

Banned
suffah said:
Make 1000% sure. I imported a brand new ceramic white PSP from ebay a couple of months ago...and it was a TA-088 v3. :(

Yeah I decided against it after doing more research. Looks like I'm going to stay in limbo until some new developments pop up

alba

Little is the new Big
got in the same lame train, got ceramic white psp and it's the v3, i'm screwed *cries* gotta wait until they figure out something ;O

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh, exciting. Now if only they'd sell me a non-bundle US piano black 3000.
Actually, I don't think it's worth the upgrade from my 2000.
Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

M3wThr33

Banned
Mario said:
Er, um... oops?
To be fair, I'm sure they didn't try too many games. You could find buffer overflows anywhere. The only reason Twilight Princess got the hack was because that was the FIRST TITLE the guy tried.

And to actually have found this, that means he had to have bought the game already.

On the bright side, sales will be going up.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
M3wThr33 said:
On the bright side, sales will be going up.

They stopped manufacturing them a long time ago, so we won't see any more royalties out of it. Certainly SOE won't be manufacturing new copies to capitalise on this given they are owned by SCE, and even if they would SCE would make us do a fix for it first.

We may sell a couple of extra copies of the console download versions if people like it on PSP (assuming they can even find it and play it) and from the increased exposure.

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, does anyone remember how Lumines or GTA:LCS were handled after they were exploited?

I mean, I don't expect too much of a change with GTA:LCS, but I imagine a lot of people discovered how awesome Lumines is.

Irnbru

Ken Masters said:
what folder do you put the eboot.pbp file in?

I believe it would be the game folder, then you can access it from there on your game tab within games menu. Oh and it should work on phat, I use a slim with that CFW

EGM92

I'm trying to play a PSX game on my PSP, I haven't had a chance to play anything since I last fixed my PSP. I put the Eboot.pbp in the GAME/Xenogears folder along with the keys.bin file. I load the game and I get a Error 80000004. I can't get around this, I have Popsloader on my PSP but it's not popping up before the game loads to select which FW version to use.

Help? Suggestions?

Yea I am having the same problem with EGM but when I try to use the Universal Remote. I have CFW 5.00 M33-4. I am trying to install the 1.50 addon because they say it fixes the problem but when I follow the instructions, it tells me to put it in the Game 5XX Folder and when I do that and check my memory stick in the XMB, it isn't there. Anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: NVM I had it the whole time but Universal Remote still isn't working. Anyone know the problem?

The M.O.B

EGM92 said:
I'm trying to play a PSX game on my PSP, I haven't had a chance to play anything since I last fixed my PSP. I put the Eboot.pbp in the GAME/Xenogears folder along with the keys.bin file. I load the game and I get a Error 80000004. I can't get around this, I have Popsloader on my PSP but it's not popping up before the game loads to select which FW version to use.

Help? Suggestions?

ah i remember having that same problem.

unfortunately i forgot how i fixed it, i think i missed copying one of the files in the tutorial or something.

Crystalkoen

EGM,

I don't remember what the error was when I was having issues like that, but are you using custom images for the background/menu icon for the game itself, or just leaving them as the generic backgrounds that get packaged in when you convert the ISO? I recall an error when I tried using some disc art I found for one of my games on GIS, had to just make the eboot without them. Kinda ugly, but got the job done.

EGM92 said:

Help? Suggestions?
to get popsloader to pop up before the game starts hold the R button while loading the game.

Yea I am having the same problem with EGM but when I try to use the Universal Remote. I have CFW 5.00 M33-4. I am trying to install the 1.50 addon because they say it fixes the problem but when I follow the instructions, it tells me to put it in the Game 5XX Folder and when I do that and check my memory stick in the XMB, it isn't there. Anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: NVM I had it the whole time but Universal Remote still isn't working. Anyone know the problem?
I am still wondering why Universal Remote isn't working.

Alright, I'm really needing some help here.. My niece has a PSP slim, that she got used for XMas, with FW 3.95 on it.. and I'm completely lost how to mod it for homebrew. I used to know how to do it when the PSP first came out. I'm trying to figure where to start, upgrading the firmware, then using a custom one, or the other way around? Any help is appreciated.

Mejilan

The OP has got your answers. Assuming that the mobo on that Slim is crack-able. I'd think so, considering it only comes with 3.95, but... *shrugs*

B.K.

Mejilan, do you remember what ID and version of Popstation you used on Chrono Cross? I tried it yesterday and I could only get it to run on one version, but it froze at the first boss.

Mejilan

Yep, I play it every day. I'm about 12 hours in now.
3.72 is the magical POPS that runs the game for me. No hitches so far.

Please note that this game is VERY sensitive to what you use to convert it to an EBOOT format. I knew I had perfect ISOs of both of the discs, because I ripped and tested them myself. It's the first time RS GUI POPStationMD v3.0 ever failed me. No matter what I did, it resulted in a broken game. So I took those very same ISOs and used my backup converter to create a consolidated dual-disc EBOOT. I used PSX2PSP v1.4.2 and the SLUS_01041 Game ID to perfect (so far) results.

This resulted in an EBOOT that can fight the Mama Komodo and access the status screens with impunity. Those are two easy triggers to check for a bum EBOOT.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
M3wThr33 said:
You could find buffer overflows anywhere.
It does depend on how the software handles I/O. I've worked on games that are essentially unexploitable in this manner, and I've also worked on some where you probably have multiple overflow opportunities for every file that gets opened :/

But this is still just user-mode exploit afaik - it's those "secret kernel exploits" that DA crew hinted at that will be needed to really get CFW (if ever) on 3000 series.

Mejilan

Yes, currently the Gripshift exploit only allows the loading of user-level homebrew... using currently chunky and ugly workarounds. It's basically bringing crude homebrew from over 2 years ago to the 3000. This may never lead to a kernel-level exploit necessary for installing custom firmware.

I don't think I'd ever be able to go back to EBOOT loaders, HEN loaders, and their ilk.

Amon37

Ok wow, this thread is making my head spin. So let me ask a couple basic questions

My PSP Slim has the newest official firmware 5.02

1. Can I run CFW without having to buy anything?
2. Can I run CFW without having to hardmod anything?
3. If I have to buy something is it just the battery that they talk about in the OP?

Cynar

Amon37 said:
Ok wow, this thread is making my head spin. So let me ask a couple basic questions

My PSP has the newest official firmware 5.02

1. Can I run CFW without having to buy anything?
2. Can I run CFW without having to hardmod anything?
3. If I have to buy something is it just the battery that they talk about in the OP?

Did you just buy it and it came with 5.02? You're probably out of luck if so.

If not:
1. Yes, but you'll have to hardmod your battery. It's just easier to get a tool battery.
2. See 1. If you had a lower revision it would be possible to downgrade.
3. Yes, and a large enough memory stick if you don't have one.

Mejilan

Depending on the motherboard on your PSP, it might not be crackable at all. If it's a PSP 3000 or a relatively recently manufactured 2000, you're SoL.

If it's a 1000 or an older 2000, then yeah, you can crack your PSP with a Pandora battery (either purchased independently or created using another homebrewed PSP). No hardware mod is necessary, though if you don't want to purchase a special battery and have no access to another cracked PSP to make one, some batteries can be hard-modded to turn them into Pandora-ready batts, as an option.

Amon37

Can I tell easily if I have a compatible PSP-2000?

and your saying since I have 5.02 OFW (which I installed last night) I can't install CFW even with the TOOL battery?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone called Gripshift one of the worst games on PSP? Is that why it got ported to 2 major consoles? Pft

So my friend wants to downgrade his slim, PSP-2000 5.01. Is Pandora's battery the only way to go?

RotBot

Amon37 said:
Can I tell easily if I have a compatible PSP-2000?

and your saying since I have 5.02 OFW (which I installed last night) I can't install CFW even with the TOOL battery?
He's saying if it came pre-installed with 5.02 it's probably an unhackable motherboard.

linkboy

Question on the SNES emulators.

What's the best version out of all of the latest ports. I'm having a problem with mine where games that should run fine (like Mystic Quest) run like crap and the audio save state bug keeps showing up.

I've messed with the frameskip but it doesn't fix the problem (neither did deleting the ini config file).

Mejilan

The 5/27/08 revision is the only one to be bothered with. Also track down an updated speedhacks dat file.

5il3nc3r

I recently installed custom firmware for the first time (5.00 M33-4). This whole psp homebrew thing is new to me so is there any PSP Homebrew Apps that you guys recommend? I'm specifically looking for a pdf reader and a comic reader (something that could read .cbr or .cbz files).

I also don't really like the PSP's music player, is there any good alternatives?

5il3nc3r said:
I recently installed custom firmware for the first time (5.00 M33-4). This whole psp homebrew thing is new to me so is there any PSP Homebrew Apps that you guys recommend? I'm specifically looking for a pdf reader and a comic reader (something that could read .cbr or .cbz files).
Bookr for PDFs, PSP Comic for CBR/CBZ. I think the most recent versions are 0.7.1 and 1.0.0, respectively.

I got a question.....is there currently any way of way to hook up a Dualshock 3 to a PSP (outside of the PSP Plus that is rumored to be coming, but who knows then that is)

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
MikeE21286 said:
I got a question.....is there currently any way of way to hook up a Dualshock 3 to a PSP (outside of the PSP Plus that is rumored to be coming, but who knows then that is)

Yes, but not directly. Using RemotejoyLite, you connect the PSP to the PC via USB, and you can configure any gaming pad to work along with it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i want to buy a psp, but i'm not sure where to ask a hardware-related question:

which version has the LEAST screen ghosting? what's the optimal version to try and snag in a store?

Top Bottom