• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

edbrat

great thread, thanks guys. I've just installed CFW for the first time on my fat PSP and its brilliant!

Couple of questions if I may, I have installed 5.00 M33 using a 1GB memory stick and a datel tool battery, I would like to buy a bigger memory stick:

- is there a maximum size of memory stick for use with CFW?
- once i get it, is it easy to copy everything over from my 1GB? Will I have to format it with the magic memory stick app to use it?
- also I copied my entire memory stick contents before I installed CFW onto my PC, is it easy for me to get my saves off there and onto new CFW enabled memory stick...theres 250 hours of Disgaea: AoD saves in there, yeah i guess i'm hoping this is possible :lol

Asparagus

Adam Prime said:
I tried the RemoteJoy a few days ago. It works extremely well on "slower" games (Jeanne D'Arc) but when I tried "faster" games (like DJ Max Portable 2 and Super Stardust) I noticed a lot of lag and a drop of frame rate when playing on the PC.

I guess that has to do more with my PC than the actual application right?

I have a new PC and experience the same problem with Initial D, It's smooth as butter on the PSP screen but laggy on my monitor. I figured it was because I have a PSP 1000, mind if I ask which version you own?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have been having problems with the latest 5.00 M-33 and PSOne games. The games I have had for a while now no longer play; Vagrant Story for example will freeze at the first loading screen.

It also has been so long since I have ripped my own PSOne games that I have since switched from a PC back to a Mac. What is the best way to rip PSOne games with OSX?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
edbrat said:
great thread, thanks guys. I've just installed CFW for the first time on my fat PSP and its brilliant!

Grats!

- is there a maximum size of memory stick for use with CFW?

Don't think so. I'm using an 8GB memory stick. I would imagine that support up to until 32GBs exists, if not beyond.

- once i get it, is it easy to copy everything over from my 1GB? Will I have to format it with the magic memory stick app to use it?

If your battery is a regular (non Pandora) battery, then you don't need to make the new stick into a MMS. Just keep your old 1GB stick and the Datel Tool battery on-hand in case of emergencies. Do use the new CFW'ed PSP to format the new stick, though, since it'll automatically create the CFW folders you'll be using.

- also I copied my entire memory stick contents before I installed CFW onto my PC, is it easy for me to get my saves off there and onto new CFW enabled memory stick...theres 250 hours of Disgaea: AoD saves in there, yeah i guess i'm hoping this is possible :lol

I always do a full backup of my memory stick to my PC's HDD before performing a whole new CFW flash. Not so with the smaller, incremental updates, though. On that note, I didn't see you mention it, but I would heartily recommend you updating your PSP to 5.00 M33-4, if you haven't already. It's got some new features and bugfixes over vanilla 5.00 M33. Yes, you can restore your saves, themes, etc., simply by taking that backup of your old stick and dropping it onto a newly formatted new stick. Specifically, the saves should be located:
X:\PSP\PSP\SAVEDATA

Mejilan

Lyte Edge said:
I have been having problems with the latest 5.00 M-33 and PSOne games. The games I have had for a while now no longer play; Vagrant Story for example will freeze at the first loading screen.

It also has been so long since I have ripped my own PSOne games that I have since switched from a PC back to a Mac. What is the best way to rip PSOne games with OSX?

POPS 5.00 has a known issue with breaking some previously working PSOne games. I would heartily recommend setting up the POPSLoader plugin on your PSP and using it to load up Vagrant Story (and your other games) using whatever version of POPS you were able to successfully load up the games before, if you recall them. If you don't, then hit up a compatibility list I have posted in my relevant tutorial.

Dragona Akehi has a mac, so I imagine that she'll be able to help you out more concerning ripping your games.

edbrat

Do use the new CFW'ed PSP to format the new stick, though, since it'll automatically create the CFW folders you'll be using.

cool - is this simply going to System Settings > Format Memory Stick in the XMB?

On that note, I didn't see you mention it, but I would heartily recommend you updating your PSP to 5.00 M33-4, if you haven't already.

just doubled checked, you were correct I was running 3.80 something or other, thanks again :D

Yes, you can restore your saves, themes, etc., simply by taking that backup of your old stick and dropping it onto a newly formatted new stick. Specifically, the saves should be located:
X:\PSP\PSP\SAVEDATA

i am more than a little relieved :)

Mejilan

3.80 M33, IIRC, was the first to implement M33 Network Update. So assuming that functionality is still enabled in the recovery console (hold R while rebooting the PSP to access it), you should be able to just perform a typical Network Update and connect to Dark-Alex's servers, instead of Sony's. M33 Network Update is typically enabled by default.

If you're nervous about using Network Update, though, you can always upgrade to 5.00 M33-4 manually. Note: If M33 Network Update is disabled in the recovery console, you WILL download Sony's newest official firmware instead of Dark-Alex's newest custom firmware.

Edit - Yes. Custom firmware by default comes with a tweaked format memory stick functionality, which is accessed just how you would have access the regular one on official firmware. It'll reformat your stick and set up the folders you'll need in advance.

Well for ripping games on OSX, unfortunately whatever driver D_A wrote doesn't work with it. So originally I used the cumbersome (but workable) duo of Prometeus Pro with DAX Dumper. However that requires a fat PSP with the 1.50 FW patch.

Fortunately, UMDumper came about and runs on slims and phats alike. It rips directly to your memstick, and is kind enough to let you ensure you have enough space, organise and name your about-to-be-ripped UMD iso.

As for ripping PSX games... it appears that Prometeus Pro is still the only option, and sadly, it has been abandoned. However, it still works great, and I haven't had a single issue when converting my PSX library to PSP Eboots.

B.K.

Mejilan, what is the name of that organization homebrew you were using? I thought I downloaded it, but I can't find it. I bought an 8 gig stick a few weeks ago and finally filled it up. It's a mess in the menu. I didn't think I would be able to fit so much stuff on it. If I had gotten a 16 gig like I wanted, I could have fit every PSP game I have on it.

Mejilan

Thanks for the update Dragona. I'll be sure to include some blurbs for Mac users whenever I get around to finishing up the comprehensive OP redesign I'm been slowly tinkering with.

Would you mind if I eventually contact you in the event that I have any questions?

yanhero

So yeah, I too have finally installed CFW on my psp. Now what can I do with it other than play emulators and "backup games"? :lol

Mejilan

B.K. said:
Mejilan, what is the name of that organization homebrew you were using? I thought I downloaded it, but I can't find it. I bought an 8 gig stick a few weeks ago and finally filled it up. It's a mess in the menu. I didn't think I would be able to fit so much stuff on it. If I had gotten a 16 gig like I wanted, I could have fit every PSP game I have on it.

Depends where and when you want to reorganize your memory stick.
On my PC (via USB), I use PSP Content Manager 1.8 to sort my homebrew. Keep in mind support for this dropped out long ago, so you'll have to rely on crude, homemade registry edits to keep it working for modern CFWs. I can help you with that, if necessary.

PSP Content Manager 1.8: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-Content-Manager-v1-8/pg/49/aid/100606
Patch for 3.52 M33, 3.60 M33, 3.71 M33: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-Conten...r-3-52-M33-3-60-M33-3-71-M33/pg/49/aid/104368

You can take any of the patches above and easily edit it to work with 3.50 M33... or whatever other CFW you're using.

As to resorting XMB icons from the PSP itself, I use PSPFiler 5.7. It's not perfect though, and it seems to fail with some kinds of homebrew. PSP Content Manager 1.8 works well for any kind of homebrew, though.

PSPFiler 5.7: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-Filer-...swept-away-MP3-bugs-squashed/pg/49/aid/126822

If you mean creating "categories" of homebrew and having the XMB only display certain categories at once, then the Game Categories Plugin v3 is the way to go.

Game Categories Plugin v3: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-homebrew-Game-Categories-Plugin-v3/pg/49/aid/127093

Hit up an older version if you haven't yet jumped to 5.00 M33.

Mejilan said:
Thanks for the update Dragona. I'll be sure to include some blurbs for Mac users whenever I get around to finishing up the comprehensive OP redesign I'm been slowly tinkering with.

Would you mind if I eventually contact you in the event that I have any questions?

No problem. I should probably do a write-up regarding how to use Prometeus Pro for making PSX rips. When I get back from this trip I'll get it done and post it here, and you can either incorporate it into your FAQ or link to it or whatever. I'll also post instructions for the UMDumper and other OSX/PSP quirks I come across.

Edit: Oh that reminds me, something odd going on with my Slim. It keeps showing a corrupted icon that PSPfiler says is associated with SNES9XTYL, and I have the hide corrupted icon option enabled. Any ideas? (I've just put it at the bottom of my list for now in the meantime.)

B.K.

Game Categories was it. Now, I just need to find something to organize everything in alphabetic order. I thought that that was possible with Game Categories, but mine are still messed up.

Mejilan

Dragona: Awesome, looking forward to it!
B.K.: XMB icons are listed in order according to date, IIRC. The Game Categories Plugin simply allows you to categorize your homebrew and then filter out all but the currently selected category (UMDs, PSOne, Games, Apps, Emus, etc.)

If you want to sort the actual icons in some fashion, then PSP Filer and/or PSP Content Manager are the way to go.

B.K.

Yeah, but I thought I'd read that with Game Categories, everything in each category would appear in the order that you put them in the folder. I guess I was mistaken. Still, the categories are useful.

Mejilan

B.K. said:
Yeah, but I thought I'd read that with Game Categories, everything in each category would appear in the order that you put them in the folder. I guess I was mistaken. Still, the categories are useful.

That's generally the rule for everything. But not for pre-existing folders. Basically, XMB icons are sorted according to the last modified date of the folder that contains the homebrew. I don't know of any easy way to modify that folder date in Windows. That's where things like PSP Filer and PSP Content Manager come in. They basically do that for you.

Mejilan

Dragona Akehi said:
Edit: Oh that reminds me, something odd going on with my Slim. It keeps showing a corrupted icon that PSPfiler says is associated with SNES9XTYL, and I have the hide corrupted icon option enabled. Any ideas? (I've just put it at the bottom of my list for now in the meantime.)

Hmm. I don't know. Have you tried erasing the SNES emu and downloading a new version or something?

B.K.

Ok. I'll try PSP Filer. All I really need to organize are my PSP and PS1 games. I only have two homebrew applications, so I don't need to worry about sorting them.

Mejilan said:
Hmm. I don't know. Have you tried erasing the SNES emu and downloading a new version or something?

No, but that would require, like... work. I'll get around to it soon. It'd help if there was an update to encourage me to do it.

Mejilan

B.K. said:
Ok. I'll try PSP Filer. All I really need to organize are my PSP and PS1 games. I only have two homebrew applications, so I don't need to worry about sorting them.

Both Filer and Content Manager allow you to sort ALL of your XMB game/app/whatever icons. I've had pretty mixed results with PSP Filer. It seems to fuck up with PSOne games, IIRC. Content Manager seems to handle all kinds of icons without issue.

Mejilan

B.K. said:
I guess I'll try the Content Manager then. I'm 5.00m33-4 though.

As am I. Download PSP Content Manager 1.8, and the patches I linked to above. Right click on any of the patches and edit it (should open up in Notepad). You'll need to make some obvious changes to the registry patch, save, and double click the registry file to apply it. The next time you run Content Manager, it should reflect 5.00 M33.

Once you've in Content Manager and it recognizes that you're running 5.00 M33, sorting the icons is very easy. Just click on the 5.00 M33 button in the upper right hand corner. It'll display all of the XMB icons and their current order. Sorting them is as simple as dragging and dropping them into the order you want them to be, and hitting Apply Sort.

B.K.

I just used it and it worked fine. I didn't have to patch it or anything. I had to take everything out of the CAT folders, but that wasn't a problem.

Mejilan

You'll have to patch it if you ever make use of the GAME5XX folder. By default, it only supports the GAME330 or GAME340 folder. I forget which, exactly.

Yeah, you have to move all of your homebrew back to their default locations. It's a bit of a pain.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have a question (if it was asked and answered before, please refer me to it):

I haven't upgraded my PSP from 3.71 m33, as I haven't been using much lately. Then I got my hands on LocoRoco 2 and started playing it. For some reason, and after putting some time in the game, I decided to upgrade to 5.00 m33-4.

After upgrading and trying to play LR2 again I got a message saying that save file is corrupted :S
When I did some searching around I found that if you play a recent game that requires a recent FW on an old CFW (that allows the bypass of the FW check) then upgrade to a different (newer) FW some of your savefiles will get corrupted.

They also suggested that I edit the savefile in a hex-editor (like notepad) but gave no further instructions about what to change. As you can tell I tried opening the file with notepad and got confused as hell.

Can anyone (Mejilan) offer some advice?

klix108

Does anybody know if there are any methods of turning my PSP on/off (sleep mode as well) using a button other than the power button? Theres something wrong with my power button, so I've just left my PSP on for a few days, but I realize that this can't go on forever and need some kind of fix.

edit- I have CFW 3.80 or something around there btw

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
klix108 said:
Does anybody know if there are any methods of turning my PSP on/off (sleep mode as well) using a button other than the power button? Theres something wrong with my power button, so I've just left my PSP on for a few days, but I realize that this can't go on forever and need some kind of fix.

edit- I have CFW 3.80 or something around there btw

Newest m33 firmware/update has a "turn PSP off" option that can be accessed from the VSH menu (pressing select).

Mejilan

Jinfash: I think you'll need to look up a game save decryptor to fix your old save files. There's an app out there that will do the job.

Klix: Look up Alternative VSH Menu by Red Squirrel. It'll allow you to engage sleep mode or perform a full shut off from an enhanced VSH menu.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
@Mejilan

im a relatively new psp owner, would you recommend me something like IRShell ? i've read its readme's and the feature list is pretty awesome, but i'm really scared of accidentally doing something to my psp :( (had a friend install CFW on mine, haven't updated the firmware in ages).

Oni Jazar

Does the partial updates (M33-4) not show up anymore? I thought I installed the latest update but the System software still shows up as 5.00 M33.

edit - Nevermind. It didn't install the first time.

Blu_LED said:
Weird. I just checked the recovery menu, and I have the M33 Network Update enabled, but when I like Network Update on the PSP, it tell my I have the latest firmware. Right now I'm running 5.00 M33. Any ideas?
I had the same thing happen. Ended up just downloading the M33-4 update manually.

Mejilan

chandoog said:
im a relatively new psp owner, would you recommend me something like IRShell ? i've read its readme's and the feature list is pretty awesome, but i'm really scared of accidentally doing something to my psp :( (had a friend install CFW on mine, haven't updated the firmware in ages).

No, not particularly. Last time I played around with IRShell (quite a few versions ago), it used to cripple PSOne support. That pretty much ruined it for me, and as such, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I would recommend updating your CFW, though. It's pretty easy/straightforward, and at this point, there's no reason not to.

B.K.

What image is used as the save file image in PSX Eboots? I thought it was ICON0, but when I made my Final Fantasy IX Eboot last night, it had Dracula from Symphony of the Night as the save file image.

Mejilan

That started happening with... 3.90 IIRC. Whatever firmware it happened to be, that firmware started having stricter requirements as to image size/dimensions/what-have-you, and should those stricter requirements not be met, the save icon gets replaced with Dracula. I don't recall the exact details, just the gist of the issue.

Bizarre.

B.K.

Weird. I guess I can live with it.

I had a hard time with Final Fantasy IX last night. I tried most of the versions and it didn't work. I finally found one that would play it, but the opening movie didn't have any sound.

Mejilan

That game can be pretty touchy. Surprisingly, my rips/conversions worked perfectly for me. But I haven't played it in months. I think I got to disc 2.

B.K.

Mine would work up to the title screen on every version of Popsloader. After I selected New Game though, all I got was a black screen. I think I finally ended up using 3.80. It's working so far. The only problem has been the mute opening movie.

Mejilan

I think I was playing mine via 3.71, but I'd have to drop it back onto the PSP to check, and I don't particularly feel like doing that.

Karish

Can someone PLEASE give me a way to unbrick my PSP without another PSP? I have the Datel Tool battery, a MSDuo, and a bricked PSP... I must be able to do it with those three things.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Blakero said:
Can someone PLEASE give me a way to unbrick my PSP without another PSP? I have the Datel Tool battery, a MSDuo, and a bricked PSP... I must be able to do it with those three things.

Read the OP please. The information you are looking for is in the comprehensive post by Mejilan.

BirdFlu

Banned
I was about to bite the bullet and buy a PSP 2000 slim off amazon until I found out about the TA-088 v3 motherboard issue. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and snag an import ceramic white PSP here:

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_psp.html

I know it's a fat version but is homebrew in anyway limited by it? I know the slims got a boost in RAM.

And if anybody has ever ordered from that site, let me know. Much appreciated

EDIT: NM I just found a ceramic white PSP on ebay (PSP-2000CW) from Japan. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is under TA-088 v3

Top Bottom