• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Everything you need to know about ripping your Playstation One CD-ROMs into images (ISOs), converting them into customized Playstation Portable executables (EBOOTs), and running them on your PSPs! ~ 12-14-2008

For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be ripping and converting discs 1 and 2 of Enix's amazing Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. This tutorial can easily be adjusted for simpler single-disc games or multi-disc games with more than Valkyrie Profile's 2 discs.

Don't be concerned with the extreme length of this posting. Much of it is filled with descriptions and definitions of various terms, tools, and resources, and is intended as the ultimate resource for a complete newcomer to the PSOne-playing PSP scene. If you are already comfortable with much of the terminology, and have a good grip on the tools and resources that go along with the PSOne -> PSP conversion process, then you can skip straight to the much-shorter tutorial sections found in the latter-half of this post.

Definitions:
ISO - Shorthand for a variety of CD-ROM image formats, which include .ISO and .BIN files. For the purposes of this tutorial, a PSOne ISO refers to any ripped image of a PSOne CD-ROM, whether it is in fact a .ISO, or an alternate format, such as a .BIN.

EBOOT - All PSP executables come in the form of EBOOT.PBP, simply called EBOOTs for short. For the purposes of this tutorial, a PSOne EBOOT refers to an already-converted, PSP-ready PSOne game.

CFW - Custom firmware, not to be confused with OFW (Sony's official firmware). A more robust definition of custom firmware can be found elsewhere, but for the purposes of playing PSOne games on your PSP, know that you'll need CFW to play your own PSOne conversions. CFW can also play the official PSN releases of PSOne games, just like OFW can.
If you're unwilling to break free from the shackles of Sony's official firmwares, then you'll be limited to the paltry selection offered for download on the Playstation Network (PSN). The upside to this, however, is that the PSN conversions of PSOne classics will also work on your PS3. Your conversions will not.
See the tutorials elsewhere in this thread for details on flashing CFW on your PSP. The better tutorials (created by our very own navanman) are mirrored in my OP, for easy reference.

POPS - The Sony-developed PSOne emulator for the PSP. It's what we all use to play our PSOne games on Sony's handheld, whether we download official conversions from PSN or play our own conversions. By default, the version of POPS that you're currently using is equivalent to the version of your current firmware. For example, if you're running CFW 3.90 M33 or OFW 3.90, then your PSP has POPS 3.90.
NOT ALL VERIONS OF POPS WERE CREATED EQUAL. Most games do NOT work equally well across the board on all versions of POPS. So many small changes are made to POPS from version to version (which is customized to specifically work ONLY with the currently available official PSN conversions) that inevitably, you'll encounter performance issues with your non-official PSOne conversions. See the POPSLoader plugin entry for more information.

DA or DAX - Dark-Alex. The force behind the SE/OE/M33 line of CFWs; the man who reverse-engineered the official PSOne conversion process and created POPStation and the POPSLoader plugin. Basically, the man.

POPStation/MD - A utility for the PC created by DA; the fruits of his POPS reverse-engineering labors. Basically, it is a non-user-friendly command line Windows application that takes a PSOne CD ISO and related files and outputs a PSP-compatible EBOOT (executable).
The updated POPStation MD version takes multiple ISOs and outputs a consolidated multi-disc EBOOT, complete with a disc-swapping feature built in. POPS 3.71 or later is required for multi-disc EBOOTs. Earlier POPS versions hadn't yet incorporated the disc-swapping mechanic.
POPStation (and POPStation MD) can also take properly-created custom icons, backgrounds, and sound bites and generate custom PSOne EBOOTs, which look flashier on the PSP. This tutorial will not cover the creation of custom icons, images, sound bites, or the generation of software manuals. Instead, links are provided to outside resources which offer up many of these for download.
I do not recommend using POPStation or POPStation MD to handle your PSOne to PSP conversions. My preferred application is listed below, under Resources and Downloads. I only mention POPStation here because it is the basis for pretty much every GUI (graphical user interface) PSOne to PSP converter application out there today, and to clarify the role and function of all "POPS"-related terms.

POPSLoader - An M33 CFW plugin (optional extension) created by Dark-Alex to overcome the firmware limitation of only being able to retain one version of POPS (the one built into your OFW or CFW) on your PSP. POPSLoader, when properly configured, allows you to set up just about every major revision of POPS side-by-side on your PSP. Basically, it allows you to select the version of POPS you'd like to run with the specific PSOne EBOOT you're trying to load.
Additionally, POPSLoader recalls your preference, per game, and auto-loads it when next you try to run the PSOne EBOOT. You may override this selection by holding the R shoulder trigger as you next load your PSOne EBOOT. This will take you back to the POPS version prompt and allow you to select another POPS version.
Fully setting up POPSLoader isn't difficult (just tedious), please see my tutorial for configuring POPSLoader for more details.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Resources and Downloads:
ISOBuster - Used to rip your PSOne CDs to images. For our purposes, the freeware version of ISOBuster is more than sufficient.
RS-GUI POPStationMD v3.0 - Used to convert one or more PSOne images to PSP executables. Supports single-disc and multi-disc EBOOTs, as well as EBOOT customization and software manual creation.
Dark-Alex's POPSLoader Plugin - Download the one relevant to your custom firmware. Recommended: 5.00 M33 POPSLoader.

You may need a bunch of libraries and Microsoft .NET Frameworks to run RS-GUI POPStationMD v3.0. Links below:
.NET Framework 2.0
.NET Framework 3.0
.NET Framework 3.5
cygwin1.dll (Goes in RS-GUI POPStationMD's /data folder)
cygz.dll (Goes in RS-GUI POPStationMD's /data folder)

Primary PSOne on PSP Compatibility List - Contains links to software manuals, if available.
Secondary PSOne on PSP Compatibility List - No longer updated, seemingly. Good resource for older POPS versions, however.
PSX-PSP Manuals - Contains downloads for PSOne software manuals. A software manual is a consolidated set of scans of the original PSOne instruction manual that can be launched from within the Home menu of the actual PSOne EBOOT. Handy, but not necessary.
POPStation Image Packs - A great resource for custom icons, backgrounds, sound bites, etc. for customizing your PSOne EBOOTs.

Note: Upon further experimentation, it seems like not all EBOOTs are created equally. I highly recommend keeping at least one alternative PSOne -> PSP conversion utility on-hand, and not just the application that this tutorial features.
Personally, I recommend: PSX2PSP v1.4.2

Ripping Retail PSOne CDs to Images:
Note: I'm assuming that you've already downloaded all of the tools you'll be needing, and installed those that require installation. I'm also assuming that you're moderately comfortable using your computer's software and hardware. This tutorial will not cover the complete setup and configuration of every tool referenced or used herein.
Additionally, ISOBuster is NOT the only application that you can use to rip your PSOne discs to ISOs. If you are more comfortable with another application, feel free to adapt my tutorial to that app as best you can.

1) Open ISOBuster.
2) Insert the retail disc 1 of Valkyrie Profile into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. ISOBuster should read the CD and automatically populate the screen with the disc's details. If not, simply hit the refresh icon above the main (center) view.
3) On the left-hand frame, you should see a tree folder structure populate. The top-most level should say "CD". Right-click on CD and select from the context menu the second option from the top (Extract CD <Image>) then the last selection from the top of the resulting menu (RAW *.bin, *.iso)
4) You'll be prompted to choose the ISO's format, name the ISO, and select a location. I recommend changing the format to .ISO and naming it VP1.ISO. It will take a few minutes to rip, depending on your computer's and drive's specifications.
5) Once the ISO rip is completed, you'll be prompted to finalize the process by choosing a name and location for the accompanying .CUE file. Just call it VP1.CUE and drop it right next to where you placed VP1.ISO.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 for the retail disc 2 of Valkyrie Profile, replacing instances of VP1.ISO and VP1.CUE with VP2.ISO and VP2.CUE, respectively.

*) Obviously, you need only perform steps 1-6 once if you're ripping a single-disc game. Steps 2-6 would have to be performed four 4 times if you'd like to rip all four Final Fantasy IX discs. Etc.

Converting PSOne Images to PSP Executables:
Note: RS-GUI POPStationMD is NOT the only application that you can use to convert your PSOne ISOs to PSP EBOOTs. If you are more comfortable with another application, feel free to adapt my tutorial to that app as best you can.

Introduction:
I figured an introduction is in order since we will be utilizing proprietary, non-standard software going forward. Before you start converting your Valkyrie Profile ISOs to a PSP EBOOT, you may want to download EBOOT custom packs first. I'd recommend doing so now. Please refer to the Resources and Downloads section above.

Recommended files to look out for:
DOCUMENT.DAT - The software manual.
ICON0.PNG - A small image used as a static icon, displayed in the XMB when the PSOne game is selected.
PIC1.PNG - A full-screen image used as a background, displayed in the XMB when the PSOne game is selected.
SND0.AT3 - An Atrac3 sound bite that plays when the PSOne game is selected. Must be less than 500KBs.*

Other files to look out for:
ICON1.PMF - A small movie file that functions as an animated icon, displayed in the XMB when the PSOne game is selected. Must be less than 500KBs. Not recommended, as it doesn't play nicely with sound bites, which are easier to make/find and the preferable customization option, IMHO.*
PIC0.PNG - An overlay that can be used to display a small blurb or description about the game, displayed in the XMB when the PSOne game is selected. Not recommended, just adds clutter.
BOOT.PNG - Replaces the stock boot message splash screen that displays when a PSOne game is executed and is loading. Not at all necessary. The stock boot message is more than sufficient.

* If you opt to use both an animated icon and a sound bite, then both files combined must be less than 500KBs. This leaves you VERY little room to play with, which is why I recommend using either a sound bite or an animated icon. I recommend a sound bite. They're easier to make (or download) and provide a better level of customization, in my humble opinion.

Note that RS-GUI POPStationMD defaults compression levels to 9, the maximum. Only lower this if you have problems running your converted EBOOTs. POPS was created with the concept of running COMPRESSED PSOne games, so leaving them at maximum compression is safe 95% of the time. In fact, these games will probably run with significantly decreased load times, compared to how they ran on actual PSOne hardware years ago.

Before starting, I recommend arranging your ISO, .PNG, .AT3, and .PMF files in one convenient location.

1) Open RS-GUI POPStationMD. It should default to the Main tab. Click on Settings (tool bar) and make sure that the proper Number of CDs is selected (should default to 2, perfect for Valkyrie Profile), Auto-Preview is Enabled, and Splash Screen is On.
2) Click on Browse to the right of where it says "Select first CD" and queue up VP1.ISO. Repeat with VP2.ISO for "Select second CD."
3) If you feel the need to lower the compression levels, you should adjust them now, per ISO, where it says "Compression Level."
4) Click on Choose to the right of where it says "Game Title" and "Game Code." Search for the name of your game and select it. Pay attention to regions, and if you see multiple selections (such as disc 1 of x, disc 2 of x, etc.), select disc 1. Hit OK to return to the Main view. The Game Title and Game Code should now have populated. Confirm accuracy. (Game Codes are listed on jewel cases, retail discs, or both. It should have populated the Game Code for disc 1).
5) Click on the Extras tab if you'd like to customize your EBOOT, otherwise skip to step 6. Similar to how you selected the ISOs in step 2, click on the relevant Browse buttons and add in an ICON0.PNG, PIC1.PNG, and/or SND0.AT3 (all 3 recommended). You can also add in a PIC1.PNG, ICON1.PMF, and/or BOOT.PNG at this point (not recommended). The Auto-Preview should update on-the-fly and demonstrate what your PSP's screen will look like when you select the game. It does not preview the sound bite, unfortunately. When you're satisfied, click back to the Main tab.
6) Verify the details, click on Browse under "Output Directory" to select a save-to location, and click on Make to start the conversion process. Sit tight as all of the ISOs are consolidated into a single EBOOT and the custom images and/or sounds are applied to it.
7) You should see a command line window pop up as the conversion continues. Keep an eye on it, but don't touch anything until it finishes and prompts you to hit any key to close. Once you do, focus will shift back to the RS-GUI POPStationMD window, with a message popping up telling you that (hopefully) the conversion yielded a valid EBOOT.PBP file.
8) Repeat steps 2-7 for any other games you'd like converted.

Running Your Newly-Converted PSOne EBOOTs:
1) Connect a USB cable to your PSP and enable USB mode (or pop the memory stick out and load it onto your computer's USB card reader). Create a folder to store the newly converted EBOOT under the GAME folder. The folder names should be kept relatively short (within 2 dozen or so characters), otherwise the game will NOT execute and spit out an error instead. An example:
x:\PSP\GAME\VALKYRIE PROFILE
2) If you've located and downloaded (or created) a software manual (DOCUMENT.DAT), it too must be placed in the same folder as the EBOOT. Neither the EBOOT nor the software manual may be renamed.
3) Return to your PSP's XMB, navigate to Game then Memory Stick, and you should see your PSOne game listed there. Select it with the D-Pad and enjoy the customized icon/background/sound bite/etc. for a few seconds, then hit X to execute it.
4) At this point, if you have the POPSLoader plugin properly set up (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), you should be prompted with a POPS version you'd like to load the game with. Utilize one of the compatibility resources listed above to select the best fit. Select Original from flash to use the POPS version built into your CFW. If you select a version of POPS that does not run well with the game, exit out of the game and hold R while reloading. You'll be prompted to select a new POPS version. If you do not hold R, then POPSLoader will auto-load your last selection when booting up the game going, forward.
5) ENJOY!

At any time while playing your PSOne game, you can pause the game and access the main POPS menu by hitting the Home button. From here you can toggle various settings (such as disc load speed, volume and black levels, toggle controls, screen size, aspect ratio, etc.), swap discs, quit to the XMB, and, if available, access the software manual.

If you see that everything runs fine, then you can go ahead and delete the ISOs (and .CUEs) and other files that you probably still have on your PC. I would, however, retain a backup copy of the EBOOT and DOCUMENT.DAT file.

Closing:
Thanks for stopping by. I hope that this tutorial was of use to you; that you found it helpful. If you have any questions or concerns about the tutorial or recommendations as to how it could be improved, please reply here or send me a PM. I will try to address them as quickly as possible. DO NOT PM me for ISOs or EBOOTs of commercial games. Those will be deleted without a response. A couple of notes, below:

Please be aware that it IS possible to convert each game disc into an individual EBOOT. The process is a bit more complicated for a variety of reasons. These include problems with games that do not allow you to save before swapping discs, or the inherent complications arising from making sure that a save file from one disc's EBOOT is recognized by the next disc's EBOOT. Etc.

I figure that with high-capacity memory sticks becoming more and more affordable, fewer people would go through the hassle of creating one single-disc EBOOT per game disc, instead of a consolidated multi-disc EBOOT for the entire game. All of the multi-disc games I've converted so far work just fine as one giant EBOOT, though I've heard that some may not. However, if demand is great enough, I can revise my tutorial to include those alternate instructions, or create a new tutorial, as needed.

A final note on .ISOs vs. .BINs images. For the most part, they are identical and interchangeable. The only exception is with PSOne games that contain redbook (CD) audio for their music. Most games do NOT use redbook audio. That's an expensive (from a storage perspective) fad that mostly died with the Turbographx-16 CD-ROM. However, for an easy test, pop the disc into a CD player and hit play. If you get recognizable in-game music... redbook audio. I have yet to rip and convert a game with redbook audio, but it is my understanding that if you attempt to convert a .BIN, then the resulting EBOOT will NOT contain any music. I am told that you will need to rip the game to a .ISO file, and will need the accompanying .CUE file as well (which is usually pretty useless, I believe).

Disclaimer:
Neither NeoGAF nor I condone the illegal downloading or sharing of commercial video games, programs, or applications. We have a zero-tolerance policy as to piracy in general, and I am providing these tutorials and references as a resource to help you, the community, facilitate the transfer of your favorite Playstation One console classics to your Playstation Portable, in light of the fact that Sony's own PSN releases are extremely sparse and limited.

The tools, applications, resources, and processes discussed in this post are provided as-is, with no guarantees. Though it bears mentioning that no tool, application, resource, or process listed in this post should cause damage to your PC, PSP, or PSOne discs, neither NeoGAF nor I are responsible should anything go wrong. You are responsible for your own actions, and if you feel in any way uncomfortable utilizing the tools, applications, resources, and processes in this post, then simply refrain from doing so. If the game you are trying to rip and convert is currently available for purchase and download on PSN, then you are encouraged to procure the game from that source.

eznark

Banned
awsome man, very cool.

I am going to go through and redo the whole thing from scratch, just a quick question, have you run into a problem where the PSP freezes on the pops select screen?

Mejilan

For those that are already more familiar with the process, I've posted a stripped down version of this tutorial in the OP.

eznark said:
awsome man, very cool.

I am going to go through and redo the whole thing from scratch, just a quick question, have you run into a problem where the PSP freezes on the pops select screen?

You're welcome. :)

No sir, I have not.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
For those that are already more familiar with the process, I've posted a stripped down version of this tutorial in the OP.

You're welcome. :)

No sir, I have not.

hrm. the last selection I have is 3.72 pops, should there be a more recent one for more recent firmware?

Hey, quick question...

Mejilan said:
Newest custom firmware revision:
3.90 M33-3's available, folks.

"3.90 M33-3

Requeriments:

- 3.52 M33-3 or higher

Instructions.

- Copy UPDATE folder to /PSP/GAME and run the program."

I'm running 3.52 M33. No "-3". Is that okay? I haven't been up to date in a while, obviously, but I just bought a PS3 and I want to get up to speed before I mess with remote play.

So again, the question is: What's the difference between 3.52 M33 and 3.52 M33-3?

Mejilan

3.52 M33 was so long ago, there's no way I'd remember. Go on to Dark-Alex's site, download the M33-3 update, and check out the readme.

Mejilan

I had a brief blurb in the OP from months and months ago indicating that I wanted to write up a tutorial. So yeah, it took a while, but it's been cooking for quite some time. Thanks. :)

Okay, I'm up to date now.

Question, though: now that I have 3.90 M33-3, I tried to link it with my new PS3 for Remote Play, and it won't detect the PSP during the step where you connect it via USB. Is this a known issue or anything? I looked on a couple of other boards and didn't find anything. The PS3 is on the newest firmware, 2.35.

eznark

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
Okay, I'm up to date now.

Question, though: now that I have 3.90 M33-3, I tried to link it with my new PS3 for Remote Play, and it won't detect the PSP during the step where you connect it via USB. Is this a known issue or anything? I looked on a couple of other boards and didn't find anything. The PS3 is on the newest firmware, 2.35.

Remote play works with 3.9 m33-3. I had to reregister the PSP and reenable remote power on but after that it worked fine.

Mejilan I got it at least to load past the pops list...but it hung at the same spots. Hopefully tonight I can dive back in and try everything from scratch.

Hmm. Well, another board that focuses on such things seems convinced that it's a problem with my "ID keys". Googling that makes it seem like it might be a big pain to fix.

eznark

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
Hmm. Well, another board that focuses on such things seems convinced that it's a problem with my "ID keys". Googling that makes it seem like it might be a big pain to fix.

I'm clearly no expert, but re registering worked for me. If that doesn't work I am of no use.

Yeah, the problem is that I can't register the first time. It just doesn't recognize the PSP.

The other problem is that I'm no expert either. There's an app called "Key Cleaner" that may fix it, but I hate to get much deeper and brick the PSP altogether. I may just forget about it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
If you want to use KeyCleaner to fix your PSP registration issue, I would either backup the NAND flash with NANDtool or use KeyCleaner to backup the keys first.

Mejilan

eznark said:
Mejilan I got it at least to load past the pops list...but it hung at the same spots. Hopefully tonight I can dive back in and try everything from scratch.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

lochnesssnowman said:
I have come by to say nothing other than - this tutorial is awesome-sauce (and I know what I'm doing). Good job.

Thank you very much. I'm kind of surprised at just how much of my Sunday afternoon it took to write all that up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
what do you guys use (that works with macs) to stream your files over a wifi?

navanman said:
If you want to use KeyCleaner to fix your PSP registration issue, I would either backup the NAND flash with NANDtool or use KeyCleaner to backup the keys first.

Hey, thanks for the tip, I did it. KeyCleaner worked like a charm.

If anyone else has random wonky problems, especially if it's a Phat that you originally downgraded a long time ago, give KeyCleaner a shot, it's really easy and it fixed me right up.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Has anyone here ever suddenly have the ps1 emulator software manual stop working? I was flipping through the pages and suddenly it blanked to the screen "There is no software manual available." so I tried recopying it (the manual file) to no effect, and even created a new one with the same results. :-/

Onemic

I've read the OP, but I'm still at a loss here.

How can I install CFW on a new psp-slim? I'm getting my new slim on Thursday.

elbkhm

onemic said:
I've read the OP, but I'm still at a loss here.

How can I install CFW on a new psp-slim? I'm getting my new slim on Thursday.
Using a pandora battery. There are three ways to get one:

1) Using a PSP that already has cfw installed to run a program that will change a battery into a pandora. You'll be able to change it back afterwards.

2) Buying one (tool battery). You can get them from a number of online retailers. I got mine from divineo.com for ~$30.

3) Making your own (involves opening up the battery and cutting one of the lines on its circuit board). If you're careful, you might be able to turn it into a regular battery again after.

A pandora battery basically allows you to boot your psp from your memory stick, and install cfw off of it. For the most part, you can't use a pandora to do anything else unless you change it back into a normal battery. Once you've got the battery, you should be able to follow navanman's tutorial easily enough.

NekoFever

Mr. Wonderful said:
4.0 is coming.

Google Search Bar and adjustable video playback speeds are to be added.
Before anyone asks, D_A has said that he'll make a new CFW for 4.00. Doesn't sound like a huge update, but it's always welcome to stay ahead of the firmware requirements of new games.

NekoFever said:
Before anyone asks, D_A has said that he'll make a new CFW for 4.00. Doesn't sound like a huge update, but it's always welcome to stay ahead of the firmware requirements of new games.
Plus we'll get the changing of PSone controls that were released in the update in between. That's a little bit better than just a Google toolbar, right? :lol

NekoFever said:
I'm betting it won't take too long for him to do, either, unless there are massive infrastructural changes we don't know about.

Mejilan

Considering that 4.00 has already been decrypted, no, it doesn't seem like 4.00 M33 should take long at all. It really depends more on DA's schedule and desire than it does on any code-sleuthing or trickery.

completely unrelated:

I am only noticing just now that the Link in Mejilan's avatar is right handed.

edit: Just to make this post somewhat worthwhile, thank you to Mejilan and everyone in this thread for all of your help, especially Mejilan.

D.Lo

navanman said:
I've had no problems with 3.90 M33-3. No bugs and any issues I've heard of.
I'm still worried about the memory stick driver issue though, as I can't Pandora back right now if it slows everything down, since I only have an 8 gig stick.

Aske

D.Lo said:
I'm still worried about the memory stick driver issue though, as I can't Pandora back right now if it slows everything down, since I only have an 8 gig stick.

I'm using a Sandisk 8GB stick, and have had no issues whatsoever. The only thing that feels slow is my album artwork, likely because some of the files are high resolution images.

Would the fatmsmod make my album art load faster? If so I might have to rethink installing it. I'm still a bit wary due to a few reports of decreased performance and brickage.

Regardless, 3.90 M33-3 loads games and video perfectly for me.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
im so lost. i want to put CFW my psp phat(3.52) but i just dont understand everything i have to do.

would anyone be willing to install CFW on my psp if i were to send it out to you??

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
BlacKMaRK said:
im so lost. i want to put CFW my psp phat(3.52) but i just dont understand everything i have to do.

would anyone be willing to install CFW on my psp if i were to send it out to you??

As simply as I can put it, you need to buy a PSP Service Battery, AFAIK DealExtreme do them for cheap now and follow this easy (I hope) guide. You should have your PSP up and running on 3.71 M33-2 in 15 minutes if all goes to plan.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

BlacKMaRK

Banned
thnx i just ordered a battery(along with a shocking pen:lol )
will return to thread for step by step instructions when my battery arrives.

Siyou

i recently updated my psp to the newest firmware and I can no longer access the MP3s on my memory stick.... =/ has this happened to any1 else? Yes it's in the right place =(

Schrade

Siyou said:
i recently updated my psp to the newest firmware and I can no longer access the MP3s on my memory stick.... =/ has this happened to any1 else? Yes it's in the right place =(
Are you sure it's in the right place? It should be in /MUSIC

Ronabo

Anyone in the Dayton Ohio area want to kindly help me with my newly acquired PSP fat?

It currently has firmware 3.95 on it :(

I'd gladly reimburse you for your time.

PM me please if you can help.

Thanks.

So I made my own Pandora and memory card for CFW, it works on every PSP phat I've tried it with, but with my new PSP slim I just get a blank screen but the memory stick is being accessed.

Is there an issue with the slim where I need to navigate the menus blind?

Numbers

BlindMonkey said:
So I made my own Pandora and memory card for CFW, it works on every PSP phat I've tried it with, but with my new PSP slim I just get a blank screen but the memory stick is being accessed.

Is there an issue with the slim where I need to navigate the menus blind?
put the power switch to "lock", and hold the left trigger as you insert your battery.

Aske

BlindMonkey said:
It's not working, I'll leave my slim on Sony FW.
I've got 2 phats, one on 3.71 m33-4 and one on 3.90 m33-3, all bases covered.

Try holding the D-pad up as well as holding L1 down; that's what I had to do with my Slim. Or you could just do it blind - many people have. O to dump the nand, X to install CFW.

Onemic

My co-worker who has CFW, keeps on telling me that there's some new program out that can make your battery pandora, even if you have a slim. Is this true?

0 HP

ok i have a couple questions. if you guys could clear some of this up for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

- my psp is a fat and i have 2 3.6 1800 mAH batteries for it. if i got a slim would i need to buy different batteries or..? i have a battery charger for the 1800 so i'd like to keep those if possible.

- my firmware is 3.90 m33...is this custom? if not, how hard would it be to put cfw on so that i can play xenogears on my psp (this is essentially what i bought a psp for...the ps1 rpgs)

i have never even held a psp before a week ago so bear with me. the scene for this stuff is confusing as hell to me.

Cynar

0 HP said:
ok i have a couple questions. if you guys could clear some of this up for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

- my psp is a fat and i have 2 3.6 1800 mAH batteries for it. if i got a slim would i need to buy different batteries or..? i have a battery charger for the 1800 so i'd like to keep those if possible.

- my firmware is 3.90 m33...is this custom? if not, how hard would it be to put cfw on so that i can play xenogears on my psp (this is essentially what i bought a psp for...the ps1 rpgs)

i have never even held a psp before a week ago so bear with me. the scene for this stuff is confusing as hell to me.

3.90 m33 is custom

if you have psp batteries from your fat you can buy covers for the back, that's what I had to do for a stamina battery in my slim :]

Onemic

Okay I made my pandora battery manually.

Now what do I do? The OP tut talks specifically for psp phats that already have CFW

4.00 CFW To Feature In-XMB Recovery, Savestate Functionality

For those eagerly awaiting a 4.00 based custom firmware, homebrew developer Mathieulh has shed light on two features planned for Dark_AleX’s next major CFW release on PSP.

The first is an in-XMB recovery mode, which will allow settings to be modified straight from within the PSP’s main menu screen. Second is the inclusion of savestate support. Users will be able to save their progress at any given time while playing a UMD title, restart the game, and then load up the respective save to resume play from where they left off. It has not yet been decided if the savestate feature will be directly integrated in the firmware or released as an add-on plugin, howeve
oooooooohhhhh

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super excited by the idea of savestates in the upcoming CFW4.0.

It'll address all those games that have save systems that don't accomodate for portable gaming, and really make gaming on the PSP almost instant:

Load game from XMB, instantly load savestate, bypassing all those splash screens and menu options and throw you in right when you left off.

Oh sony where are thou

Top Bottom