• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

disappeared said:
Fuck yeah, got my very first PSone game working on CFW. Metal Gear Solid looks amazing on the LCD, although the cutscenes and codec conversations stutter in places. Odd.
HYPED!!! Man I can't wait for my battery to arrive so I can do the same :D.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I tried putting my Final Fantasy Chronicles with FFIV and Chrono Trigger on my PSP but it didn't work, I just got a black screen. It takes so much shit to just play PS1 games, I might try it again later now that that guy with the link avatar posted that guide.

The Faceless Master said:
how about just fight him like a man with 1p controller?
Isn't that only possible after dying 5 times, like a coward! Honestly, though. I forget. I think you can still run up to him and punch him to death before the 5 deaths/statue kill.

Sagitario

disappeared said:
Fuck yeah, got my very first PSone game working on CFW. Metal Gear Solid looks amazing on the LCD, although the cutscenes and codec conversations stutter in places. Odd.

It will be the first PSone game I play on my PSP too... [and the first time I play a MGS game]...

linkboy

disappeared said:
The defailt emulator that's built into the PSP lets you change controller ports. I made sure to check for that option right away. :lol

By the way, what is this POPS emulator I keep hearing about? Is it better than the stock emulator?

Pops is the the stock emulator, its short for Popstation.

Just stick with the build in emulator, its made by Sony and its easily the best.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
NameGenerated said:
I tried putting my Final Fantasy Chronicles with FFIV and Chrono Trigger on my PSP but it didn't work, I just got a black screen. It takes so much shit to just play PS1 games, I might try it again later now that that guy with the link avatar posted that guide.

-_-

I haven't tested FFIV (lol), but Chrono Trigger works just fine on my PSP.

Calcaneus

So I'm trying to get this to work on my slim, will I need to buy a whole other memory stick for this or will I still be able to use my old one after I do all the pandora stuff?

From what I see, I'm thinking the answer will be to get a new stick.

Mejilan

You will not need to get a new stick, unless your current one is either too small or too large to work with Pandoras.

a second stick isn't necessary. just backup everything you've got on the stick to your pc and after you install the firmware you can format the stick, copy your files back to it, and use it again.

it seems a lot of users don't know the diffrenece between popstation and popsloader. which is why some games aren't playing correctly for them.

btw can you link to popsloader files on gaf?

Calcaneus

Mejilan said:
You will not need to get a new stick, unless your current one is either too small or too large to work with Pandoras.
I have a 1 gig, how much space will the Pandora take up? Also I'm sorry if this is easily available information, I just thought to ask first.

x3sphere

Mr. Wonderful said:
4.01 coming from Sony. :rolleyes:

Improved video playback for certain file types, great, would be nice to know which file types they are talking about. Gotta love Sony's firmware changelogs ;/ Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

Mejilan

Calcaneus said:
I have a 1 gig, how much space will the Pandora take up? Also I'm sorry if this is easily available information, I just thought to ask first.

1GB is fine. The threshold is 256MBs to 4GBs, IIRC. 2GBs for some brands, supposedly.

WickedLaharl said:
it seems a lot of users don't know the diffrenece between popstation and popsloader. which is why some games aren't playing correctly for them.

I also detail the difference between the two in my tutorial in this very thread. :)

x3sphere said:
Improved video playback for certain file types, great, would be nice to know which file types they are talking about. Gotta love Sony's firmware changelogs ;/ Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.
I didn't know whether to read this as bugs while playing back certain videos have been fixed, or if they were saying "Hey, we're adding more codec/resolution support!"

Mejilan said:
1GB is fine. The threshold is 256MBs to 4GBs, IIRC. 2GBs for some brands, supposedly.

I also detail the difference between the two in my tutorial in this very thread. :)

i wonder how many users actually read it? i haven't, but that's only because i installed cfw before you wrote it up.

Mejilan

My tutorial has nothing at all to do with installing CFW. And a tinier, friendlier version of my tutorial is also in the OP, for easy reference (with a link to the full version).

It IS relatively new though.

Mejilan

No. You can convert a software-modded Pandora back to a standard battery. Hell, some hardware-modded Pandoras can be flipped back too (though if you go the hardware route, you'll need to be very careful in order to make it reversible).

You can also create a multi-boot Pandora (recommended) that can alternately function as both a Pandora and a standard battery depending on a toggle you hold down when booting the PSP up...

linkboy said:
Pops is the the stock emulator, its short for Popstation.

Just stick with the build in emulator, its made by Sony and its easily the best.

Cool, thanks. I did a shitload of research last night after getting MGS to work, and I discovered POPSloader if I have any problems with specific games.

oneHeero

Read last few pages and tried google.

Is there a way to hack a slim psp with no pandora battery or other psp around?

Just slim, regular battery and computer.

If answer is yes, I'll continue my search but if not a simple no is fine as well.

M3wThr33

Banned
oneHeero said:
Read last few pages and tried google.

Is there a way to hack a slim psp with no pandora battery or other psp around?

Just slim, regular battery and computer.

If answer is yes, I'll continue my search but if not a simple no is fine as well.
Battery only for slim.

Mejilan

eznark said:
Meij, step by step, same problem bro.

Black screen of death? I forget the exact problem you were having.

Sorry to hear that my tutorial was of no aid to you. I can only imagine that there's something wrong with your copy of Vagrant Story. Or is this problem occurring with other games as well? Send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you one-on-one.

linkboy

Mejilan said:
No. You can convert a software-modded Pandora back to a standard battery. Hell, some hardware-modded Pandoras can be flipped back too (though if you go the hardware route, you'll need to be very careful in order to make it reversible).

You can also create a multi-boot Pandora (recommended) that can alternately function as both a Pandora and a standard battery depending on a toggle you hold down when booting the PSP up...

Mejilan, just to clear something up about that. You don't have to hold anything down to boot if you have a pandora battery.

The multi-boot IPL, when installed on a memory stick, will allow the PSP to boot using a pandora battery. I have it installed on my 2GB, 4GB and 8GB and I don't have to hold anything down to boot, it does it automatically.

Mejilan

linkboy said:
Mejilan, just to clear something up about that. You don't have to hold anything down to boot if you have a pandora battery.

The multi-boot IPL, when installed on a memory stick, will allow the PSP to boot using a pandora battery. I have it installed on my 2GB, 4GB and 8GB and I don't have to hold anything down to boot, it does it automatically.

Yes, I know. The multi-boot Pandora works as a regular battery when you boot up normally, and as a Pandora if you hold down... L, IIRC. That's all I meant. I never specified which functionality was available with/without a toggle.

linkboy

Mejilan said:
Yes, I know. The multi-boot Pandora works as a regular battery when you boot up normally, and as a Pandora if you hold down... L, IIRC. That's all I meant.

Oh ok.
9.gif

eznark

Banned
It was freezing up at the loading screen. Somehow however, I fired it up last night before I went to bed and tinkered with some of the setting on the PSP and lo and behold it f'in worked!

I can finally play the damn game, and I am stoked. Thanks for the help

I just flashed my sister's Japanese PSP and she noticed that now with the custom firmware, the button config is US style with X to confirm and O to cancel. She wanted to have it with the Japanese style where it's the opposite way around. Is there no way to set this back? Setting it to the default region, it's like that as well as forcing it to the Japan region. Is there some way to get it back to O being accept and X to cancel?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Marty Chinn said:
I just flashed my sister's Japanese PSP and she noticed that now with the custom firmware, the button config is US style with X to confirm and O to cancel. She wanted to have it with the Japanese style where it's the opposite way around. Is there no way to set this back? Setting it to the default region, it's like that as well as forcing it to the Japan region. Is there some way to get it back to O being accept and X to cancel?

There's an option in the recovery menu, to swap the buttons around.

x3sphere

4.01 M33 out - 1.5 kernel is scheduled to be released within a couple days, possibly tonight.

Changes:
- Bug fix: vshmenu didn't let change camera mode due to camera_plugin using select button.
Fixed, now vsh menu will not be loaded when using the camera.

- Recovery can now be translated, See how below. Translation to spanish is autoincluded.
- Updated the M33 SDK with a new function and sample, and released the psp-packer tool to
compress prx's and PBP's in the ~PSP format.

- The folder of 4.01 and highre homebrew will be GAME4XX so it won't need change on update.

Taanslating the recovery.
To translate the recovery create a text file in ms0:/seplugins/xx_recovery.txt
or flash1:/xx_recoery.txt (they are evaluated in that order), where xx is the language code
of your language:

es -> spanish
en -> english
fr -> french
de -> german
it -> italian
ja -> japanese
ko -> korean
nl -> netherlands
pt -> portuguese
ru -> russian
ch1 -> chinese simplified
ch2 -> chinese traditional

The file en_recovery.txt in translate folder is included for people to translate to their languages, this file is not needed for english people, as the english language is used when no language file is found.
Just change the english strings to your language ones, and put it in the path mentioned above. Be careful to check in the recovery that the lines look fine, don't use too large text.

The spanish file es_recovery.txt will be written by the program in the memory stick.

1.50 kernel addon for fat will be released this evening or this night.
As the official site is down atm, here is a mirror: http://exophase.com/files/psp/401M33.rar

Pimpwerx

Yeah, the network update has been borked for at least two days now. I tried it out when the official fw came out, just for laughs, and it stays hanging at the "checking" screen. I'll try doing it the old-fashioned way, but I have to say I got spoiled. PEACE.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Pimpwerx said:
Yeah, the network update has been borked for at least two days now. I tried it out when the official fw came out, just for laughs, and it stays hanging at the "checking" screen. I'll try doing it the old-fashioned way, but I have to say I got spoiled. PEACE.

Doh! Anyone get the network update to work at all?

Spoiled, I am!

Anony

if i were you, i wouldnt do network update
one of my friends did a network update and installed the official one, i have no clue how it happened
just download the necessary files and rename and update

linkboy

Anony said:
if i were you, i wouldnt do network update
one of my friends did a network update and installed the official one, i have no clue how it happened
just download the necessary files and rename and update

He probably had the custom network update setting turned off in the recovery console, so it directed it to Sony's site instead of DA's.

I did it the old fashion way, but I like doing it that way since I can upgrade other PSP's without having to be near a Wi-Fi connection (I've put M33 on a lot of my friend's and co-workers PSP).

Anyways, here's a question I have. Didn't Sony add the ability to customize buttons for the PS1 emulator in 3.95, but its not showing up on 4.01. Anyone know if that was true or not.

Edit
Nevermind, I got it working. Popsloader was messing it up, I just went and unistalled it and its working great. Now I can play FF7 using both the analog nub and d-pad to control (I like the nub to move the character on the world map, d-pad for battles and menus).

Anony

damn, my .prxs doesnt load anymore, i hate this lexar memory stick
it didnt load in the older cfws, but on the 3.9x ones, it magically loads, now it doesnt again

DO NOT BUY LEXAR MEMORY STICKS, THEY ARE SHIT

Mejilan said:
Ripping Retail PSOne CDs to Images:
Forgive the newb question, but my drive isn't reading any of my PSX discs (they all work on actual PS machines). Nothing appears when I explore the drive, and it obviously doesn't trigger anything in Isobuster either. I have a DVD/CD-RW drive.

linkboy

DaBargainHunta said:
Forgive the newb question, but my drive isn't reading any of my PSX discs (they all work on actual PS machines). Nothing appears when I explore the drive, and it obviously doesn't trigger anything in Isobuster either. I have a DVD/CD-RW drive.

I have the same problem, the Superdrive (which really isn't so super) in my MacBook Pro won't ready any PS1 CD's, its pissing me off.

I have a fat psp and I was wondering what is the trick with getting the ps1 games to work?
I have CFW 3.90 m33-3.

When try ffvii it just goes to a blank screen when I select new game. It used to work before I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

jda1977

"Additionally, a 4.01 M33 specific 1.5 kernel add-on is due to be released within the next couple days, possibly tonight"

What is the kernels function in CFW. If I update to 4 using the Custom Firmware 4.01 M33. Is this all that is needed or should I wait for this newer kernel. And does the network updater, when working include this newer kernel or is that separate as well. I dont play any ps1 games just my backed up umds. Sorry newb with a prior installed CFW, not done by myself, and just been using the network updater so never new what specific files were used and such.

M3wThr33

Banned
Is there a fix yet to disable the VSH menu while videos or REMOTE PLAY is running?

Network Update is failing right now. Probably due to traffic.

Edit: On hold. Damn better. (Needs to be 78%...)
I'm low because I stayed up last night playing Killzone. FUCK the Act 3 boss.

1.5 kernel only runs on (Currently) on PSP-1000 models. It allows you to play older programs that haven't been updated OR have more functionality. Like Filer has more functions if you run it in 1.5 mode and I believe Duke Nukem 3D is 1.5 only.

eznark

Banned
fuck me. I literally just got PS1 games running a couple days ago after tons of frustration, play enough of Vagrant Story to really dig it, and as soon as I updated I was back to the same problem, sticking at the now loading screen.

Is there an easy way to get back to 3.91?

M3wThr33

Banned
How long has the PSP update program actually animated the waves? I thought in previous ones it didn't. Or is tthat just on the PS3?

Edit:
Running. I thought an earlier update allowed me to config buttons on remote play? I only can choose type 1 or 2 as usual.

Pimpwerx

The .prx my gf had for custom themes doesn't work on 4.01. She has my old PSPhat. I haven't bothered trying it on my slim since I don't care for the custom themes. PEACE.

eznark

Banned
ooookay, well, now when I connect the PSP to my computer all I get is a folder with a single ISO in it.

What the heck did this update do??

EDIT: I'm dumb, didn't realize I had to reenable everything, USB connection still isn't showing the memory card files though.

Top Bottom