• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

"Yup. Firmware too high, bought my fat JUST before the slims came out, so unless I missed something along the way (which is possible, mind you) I'm stuck.

Did I tell you how handsome you look tonight?"

Did the lumines exploit have a firmware limit? You might want to look into that I forget if it only worked to a certain fw.

I still have 3.10 OE-A or some shit, I bought it like that and have never figured out how to update it.

If it will be simple and wireless from now on then maybe now I will finally figure it out.

"I still have 3.10 OE-A or some shit, I bought it like that and have never figured out how to update it.

If it will be simple and wireless from now on then maybe now I will finally figure it out."

I'm assuming you would need a m33 firmware to use the functionality and won't work with something like 3.10OE-A

killakiz

Green Biker Dude said:
Do you need this pandora battery whenever you want to update your slim firmware or is it necessary just the first time?
once youve hacked your psp you no longer need the pandoras battery.

M3wThr33

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
I still have 3.10 OE-A or some shit, I bought it like that and have never figured out how to update it.

If it will be simple and wireless from now on then maybe now I will finally figure it out.
Step one is going to 3.52 M33.

jesusraz

muckhole said:
If I want a battery "pandora'ed" who do I talk to? I'm so tired of reading these threads
with a glaring jealousy tomards you all. I'll send the battery, plus a small fee for your time. I know no one with modified firmware, and it's driving me crazy. Somebody (preferably in Canada) help me out. These threads are killing me.

Try getting Datel's TOOL Service Mode battery. That should work and it's cheap (people, correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Yup. Firmware too high, bought my fat JUST before the slims came out, so unless I missed something along the way (which is possible, mind you) I'm stuck.

Did I tell you how handsome you look tonight?"

Did the lumines exploit have a firmware limit? You might want to look into that I forget if it only worked to a certain fw.

lumines exploit is 3.50 only.

Schrade said:
Regular firmware implemented it in 3.30 I believe.

Dark_Alex's custom firmware only implemented it in the ms0:/MP_ROOT/100ANV01 folder and you had to muck around with the MP4 atoms to get it recognized. I think this was Dark_Alex's 3.10 firmware where he did this. Might have been earlier though.

Once Dark_Alex's 3.30 version came out, we no longer had to use that method but we still can if we want. The only advantage is completely unlocked bitrate though.

Are you sure Official Firmware supports full res videos? When I got my slim, it wouldn't play any full res videos at 768kbps bitrate. Also do videos work under any name now or do you still need the weird names. I didn't realize there was a change to how videos work on the PSP lately since I've been doing the 100ANV01 style method.

M3wThr33

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Are you sure Official Firmware supports full res videos? When I got my slim, it wouldn't play any full res videos at 768kbps bitrate. Also do videos work under any name now or do you still need the weird names. I didn't realize there was a change to how videos work on the PSP lately since I've been doing the 100ANV01 style method.
Just putting them in a /VIDEOS/ folder in the root folder should work.

Ashhong

I'm still on 3.40 OE and am planning to upgrade to this 3.80 M33 or the 3.71 first if needed. Should I do a complete PSP restore so that my flash and all that can be nice and "empty" and fresh? Or are all the 3.40 files only on the memory stick and easily erased?

basically i want to go to 3.80 M33 but want my PSP to be as clean as possible...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Just in work and saw this thread. Excellent news and wifi over the air auto-updates is really cool. Very impressive work from Dark_Alex and Team M33 again.
Looking forward to trying it out this evening.

M3wThr33

Banned
Every time you install new firmware, it "cleans' itself anyway. No worries there. And you don't need to keep any of those new files on your memory stick, either.

The ONLY confusing hurdle here is needing to go to 3.52 M33-4, which fixes an error in writing to the flash.

You need to go to 3.52 M33 (So, 150.pbp and 352.pbp)
3.52 M33 to 3.52 M33-4 (Running a simple patch)

From there you can prep yourself for the 3.80 M33 firmware tomorrow. You can download the 3.80 firmware to get ready.
Also keep the 1.50 FW on hand if you want to add that kernel.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ashhong said:
I'm still on 3.40 OE and am planning to upgrade to this 3.80 M33 or the 3.71 first if needed. Should I do a complete PSP restore so that my flash and all that can be nice and "empty" and fresh? Or are all the 3.40 files only on the memory stick and easily erased?

basically i want to go to 3.80 M33 but want my PSP to be as clean as possible...

You could use this guide here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8941956&postcount=20 to update to 3.71 M33 in one step rather than going to 3.52 M33 and then onto 3.71 M33.

Reset PSP defaults first, then make the UPMS Pandora setup and run the DC V3 installer. It'll take 10 mins from downloading to installing 3.71 M33.

M3wThr33 said:
Just putting them in a /VIDEOS/ folder in the root folder should work.
Just tried that and it says unsupported format. I haven't kept up with video encoding so maybe the method I'm encoding isn't supported like that. I've been encoding in 480 x 272, 768kbps 2 passes.

tokkun

given the number of potentially bricking bugs that have crept into the CFW firmware lately, I think I'll wait two weeks and see if there is a 3.80-2.

hirokazu

Marty Chinn said:
Just tried that and it says unsupported format. I haven't kept up with video encoding so maybe the method I'm encoding isn't supported like that. I've been encoding in 480 x 272, 768kbps 2 passes.

I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong. The video player has no problems doing 480x272, 768kbps for me... Anyway, if you're on custom firmware, try PMPlayer Advance, you're not restricted to having to encode full screen video at 768kbps, I can fit more than twice as much video now than when I was using the built in video player, with only a tiny drop in quality that is much more than compensated for by the space gained.

No45

navii said:
If you're not interested in the homebrew functionality (I'm not), it's still worthwhile using CFW just for the ability to rip your UMDs to the memory stick and play from there. Less noise, quicker loading and the ability to 'carry' multiple games at once.

EGM92

tokkun said:
given the number of potentially bricking bugs that have crept into the CFW firmware lately, I think I'll wait two weeks and see if there is a 3.80-2.

WTF are you talking about?

mauaus

EGM92 said:
Meh like someone said couple of posts ago FUD...

Anyways i cant wait for this!!!
And hes probably gonna release a Despertar del Cementerio that updates to 3.80M33 too to have in handy in case of emergencies :p

EGM92 said:
there were two flash bugs, the one where writing a file over a certain size would corrupt flash0, and another where there was a very (very very very very) low random chance of corrupting the flash.

the first one bricked several people's systems who tried to add custom themes, waves, etc directly to flash0.

i'm not aware of anyone who was actually hit by the second bug, iirc it was just a theoretical chance of bricking.

NekoFever

Excellent news if this actually comes today. I've been all excited every time the other custom firmware thread got bumped :(

An update feature will be excellent. It's been wanted for a while but I'd always assumed that it was just impractical. Surely he's not just hosting the files himself and getting his bandwidth hammered every time he does a new release?

I hope D_A is paying attention to the first NAND dumper for PS3 that got released the other day as well ;)

The Faceless Master said:
there were two flash bugs, the one where writing a file over a certain size would corrupt flash0, and another where there was a very (very very very very) low random chance of corrupting the flash.

the first one bricked several people's systems who tried to add custom themes, waves, etc directly to flash0.

i'm not aware of anyone who was actually hit by the second bug, iirc it was just a theoretical chance of bricking.
Who's dumb enough to upgrade the firmware with a modified flash? oO

Zoe

No45 said:
If you're not interested in the homebrew functionality (I'm not), it's still worthwhile using CFW just for the ability to rip your UMDs to the memory stick and play from there. Less noise, quicker loading and the ability to 'carry' multiple games at once.
How difficult is it to rip a game? I'm VERY tempted to take Disgaea on the road.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zoe said:
How difficult is it to rip a game? I'm VERY tempted to take Disgaea on the road.
With this program, it's as easy as running it on your PSP while connected to computer via USB, and then dragging it to your harddrive.

linkboy

I just saw this over at maxconsole.

Holy crap. I can't wait until this firmware is released.

To bad my laptop died (posting this from a library). I can't wait until my new computer is here.

Zoe

Thanks for the links on ripping :D

Hopefully the school PC lab will be open today. Laptop's in the shop and only the Unix lab was open the other day >_<

railGUN

Banned
If I have a fat PSP that is still running 1.5 firmware, should/would I need to use the above linked guide to update to the newest custom firmware? If the battery hacks are for higher firmware, what would be the process for a 1.5 machine?

Does anyone have a guide for 1.5 fat PSP > newest CFW without all the other junk for people with slims and/or higher firmware?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
Who's dumb enough to upgrade the firmware with a modified flash? oO

It doesn't actually matter if you've modified your flash0. The whole update procedure will reformat it regardless.

However, if you're applying one of the small patches(not an entire firmware update), any files you modified are at risk of being damaged, and hence brick.

Could I upgrade straight from 3.72 HX-1 to 3.80 M33?

99% chance yes, the installer is based on the 3xx kernel so you shouldn't have a problem. I can't completely confirm it though, until the new update is out.

homez99

railGUN said:
If I have a fat PSP that is still running 1.5 firmware, should/would I need to use the above linked guide to update to the newest custom firmware? If the battery hacks are for higher firmware, what would be the process for a 1.5 machine?

Does anyone have a guide for 1.5 fat PSP > newest CFW without all the other junk for people with slims and/or higher firmware?

Here is a good guide I've been keeping in my tabs for my one (waiting on my memory stick to arrive), I hope you find it useful.

Oni Jazar

Looks like it may be a little while longer.

According to our information, some technical problems remain and as us mathieulh points out it so well, the [motto] of the TEAM M33 is "quality above all".

In light, Dark_AleX still seems to have some small adjustments to make and it prefers to take its time before putting on line its Custom Firmware 3.80 M33.

Though it is, it is the wisest decision because nothing presses.

Knowing the talent of Dark_AleX, this delay could be of a few days, or only of a few hours. For the moment, no one does not know it.

http://www.pspgen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5787

Top Bottom