• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go? 249.99!!!!

seat

I'm amazed at all the gushing going on over Sony's presentation. There were two things I was looking forward to most: A) PSP Go details, and B) new footage of TRICO.

Well, the PSP Go is going to cost 250 bucks. The thing is obviously going to fail, as it offers little-to-no improvement over the old PSP, and is debuting at such a high cost.

The Last Guardian trailer was EXACTLY the same one we've all watched already, only with a new skin. BFD. And no release date! It's going to be years before we get play this game.

yankee666

Gamecocks625 said:
16GB iPod Touch is $299. A 16GB PSP with same media capability and far greater game quality and selection for $249...not bad.

However, the price still sucks. I was hoping for $199.

I wonder when we'll hear about the battery life?

Yep the games catalog on the Ipod tuch is not that great but hardware wise the ipod is more powerful than the PSP and besides for media capabilities the touch screen helps a lot. By the time the PSP go Hit the streets the ipod tuch maybe is at the same price.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
well, i totally understand now why they could not include an oled.

the price does not allow it.

Owzers

Sony announces a new psp version and a couple interesting psp games, and then overprices the hardware. Good job.

ThatHurt

I am watching it delayed but
no accelerometer or touch screen right?
smaller screen than a psp
and more expensive?

I understand that they want to have games work on the psp 3000 and the go but FFS what a waste.

Too bad this is a pass for me. Ill stick with my 2000 for a bit longer.

.hacked

I would pay $250 it somehow I could rip my current psp games too it.

I own too many games to pay $250 and have to rebuy all my games just to play it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I hope this product crashes and buuuuuurns in Europe. Fuck you SCEI if you think $250 can be converted into 250 motherfucking Euros without batting an eye.

Tobor said:
SOLD. Day 1.

Not exactly a shocker, the consensus among those of us with common sense was $249.

You wanted to know how they would keep retail interested in a DD only device? Well, there's your answer.

For $250 they should've included touchscreen.

Log4Girlz

If it had a touchscreen, it would be passable, with a price cut a few months down the line when you've ripped off the early adopters. And it would be perfect, without a UMD you can support all new product with your online store...but noooooo.

MMaRsu

Banned
Brobzoid said:
I hope this product crashes and buuuuuurns in Europe. Fuck you SCEI if you think $250 can be converted into 250 motherfucking Euros without batting an eye.

Exactly. I hope it boms to hell

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Brobzoid said:
Everyone does that.

Mau ®

I dont know. I mean I do want it and its got great upcoming games. And I love the fact that its DD-only but 249? I would've been day 1 at 199.

Synless

Isn't that the same price the PSP came out at when it launched? It's far from dead in the water if that's the case. If it sold then, it will sell now.

RSLAEV

not to mention that it's going to be nothing but a pocket marketplace for Sony. From the moment you turn it on they'll probably try and sell you movies, videos, music, games, game DLC.

The point of the thing is extract more money from you, not to play great games.

Then again maybe I'm wrong

spwolf

yankee666 said:
Yep the games catalog on the Ipod tuch is not that great but hardware wise the ipod is more powerful than the PSP and besides for media capabilities the touch screen helps a lot. By the time the PSP go Hit the streets the ipod tuch maybe is at the same price.

you mean cpu? because psp has a lot better gpu and hence games look much better.

And its $50 cheaper.

Darklord

Banned
Brobzoid said:

Did they mean $250US equivalent in euros or is it really 250 euros? If so that probably means it'll be like $400 AUD here seeing as any tech is over priced like crazy in Australia.

Binabik15

Synless said:
Isn't that the same price the PSP came out at when it launched? It's far from dead in the water if that's the case. If it sold then, it will sell now.

Yes, it´s the fat´s launch price.

Oh, and:

250 dollar=176 euro
250 euro=354 dollar

So quit bitching Americans D:

At that price I wont get one, but I´ll be there for the PSP2 at day one. Oh, and buy a metric ton of PSP games later this year:D

guina

Well the price is not really a problem, i paid 250 for my launch PSP, and would pay again for this, but looks like Sony will not give us a way to turn our UMD games into PSN licenses, and i will not go around carrying 2 PSPs with me, so i will probably never buy the PSP Go.

Hope this at least makes them push the games into the PSN, not just future games but also old games. In fact they should be pushing the PSN before announcing it, things are really backward there.

yankee666

spwolf said:
you mean cpu? because psp has a lot better gpu and hence games look much better.

And its $50 cheaper.

Yes Cpu. And it cost $50 cheaper right now without touchscreen. On October 1 will see is that the scenario or Apple reduces their prices

DMeisterJ

Banned
Should have been 200 but I'm still Day 1'ing this. Day in date release with Retail is the first piece of win, and it looks sexy and small as hell. And GT mobile is gonna look great on it.

nataku

It's not as big of a deal as most people think. Yeah, $250 is way more than I thought it should be, but the old PSP will still be available, and people will just buy that if they don't want to pay $250.

yyr

Acid08 said:
Can you imagine the R&D costs on this thing? Sony has to make their money back somewhere, and the PS3 isn't the device doing that.

What R&D costs?

http://gizmodo.com/tag/mylo/

This is almost the same design as the Mylo "Internet device" they released a little while back.

And yes, it's too expensive. How can the price difference over the standard PSP be justified? It's smaller and it has 16GB of storage built in, but I already have a nice-sized MSPD and don't need anything smaller. Why should I care...or anyone, for that matter? And new PSP owners have a big back catalog of cheap UMDs to choose from if they go with the old tech. Will the back catalog be available on Go? Will it still be cheap?

Too many questions and not enough answers...

Tntnnbltn

inthezone said:
I dont know. I mean I do want it and its got great upcoming games. And I love the fact that its DD-only but 249? I would've been day 1 at 199.
And all of those great upcoming games can be played on a regular PSP.

Tobor

The Faceless Master said:
so you can buy a PSP-3000 and a 16GB pro duo for less than a PSP Go?

okay.

You guys are awfully hung up on price. I want a PSP I can fit in my pocket without it looking like the airport scene from Spinal Tap.

GO FTW.

SkySonata

Banned
Tobor said:
SOLD. Day 1.

Not exactly a shocker, the consensus among those of us with common sense was $249.

You wanted to know how they would keep retail interested in a DD only device? Well, there's your answer.

Retail might be interested........but I think they forgot about consumers.

FTWer said:
Awwww all the little kiddies with no jobs can't afford one.
:(

Because "in this economy" the only people without jobs or a lot of disposable incomes are little kiddies. Get real man--Sony has been oblivious with their pricing this generation, and the economy isn't helping them. Add to that the fact that Sony's primary PSP demographic is 14 year old boys anyway and your mocking makes even less sense.

I
a 28 year old employed adult
was going to jump in to PSP with this announcement (to play Monster Hunter with friends finally), but no way can I justify $250 to myself.

Edit--You know what...that HAS to be a troll post. I just got trolled. Surely.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Darklord said:
Did they mean $250US equivalent in euros or is it really 250 euros? If so that probably means it'll be like $400 AUD here seeing as any tech is over priced like crazy in Australia.
They specifically said $249 for America and 249 Euros for Europe.

You will be raped into poverty if you even consider buying it locally in Australia when it launches in 2012, sorry to say.

Top Bottom