• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP: "So-so" - KCET

P90

Yamaoka: Speaking of PSP, for our taste, it's kind of a so-so feeling we have. For their PR, they say you can put it around your neck to take it around but we wonder who's going to do that, I don't think anyone is going to. As for the Nintendo DS, because of the two screens and the touch panel it is quite interesting ideas-wise, but at the same time it is really tricky if you're dealing with content that is not suited to the two screens, that would be a pointless game, that's for sure. But if the software is designed with the hardware's strengths in mind, then we will see some really good games I think.

Hmmmm... Pretty much the same conclusion Kojima had.

Alcibiades

interesting interview, but I wonder how SH4 (PS2 + XBX) vs. RE4 (GCN) sales will go. I think ignoring the GCN is basically a bad decision, but we'll have to wait for sales figures to do the telling.

Kikizo: Do you think the industry will continue to produce more complex games like Metal Gear Solid 3 and the new Grand Theft Auto, or will it all become simpler like Satoru Iwata is advocating with the new Nintendo home console?

Yamaoka: Games in the future will definitely be more complex. For example the movie was derived from theatres and plays, and now the movie industry is huge. Gaming cannot try and imitate what movies have done so far, but the advantage we have is that we can include interactivity and movies cannot

that's basically what it comes down to. Remember the BBC question thing in that other thread. This is why games are the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Basically PSP isn't exciting for devs, because they've seen it all before - its 'just' a PS2. now the fact that its portable is why its exciting for consumers, but its not new tech, so no new toys for the dev boys.

DS is more like it, but that just panders to designers really.

Devs want more silicon to play with, they'll save the jizzing for PS3/Xbox 2

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's interesting to see which devs respond to the PSP as a "been there, done that" proposition, like these guys, and which devs see it as a liberating opportunity for their game ideas, like Planet Moon Studios.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
but its not new tech, so no new toys for the dev boys.
That's not how it works - the magic is in the first time you get the hands on the new toy, first read through the docs etc. I'm sure most of you had that feeling when unwrapping a christmas present, or when you buy a new console and open it for the first time. It doesn't have to be the most advanced and novel thing to feel exciting :)
I am not even as involved with tech development for PSP this time and I still found that part just as fun.
And besides, capabilities may be similar, but the machine is anything but "just a PS2" :p

And to be honest, I am not all that excited about hw for the big ones this time - it's more about having my hands free to do new things with them. Though I don't doubt getting the first docs will have some magic left still. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Basically PSP isn't exciting for devs, because they've seen it all before - its 'just' a PS2. now the fact that its portable is why its exciting for consumers, but its not new tech, so no new toys for the dev boys.
Criterion guys (and others too) seem to loudly disagree :p

It's funny but it just seems like the western devs in general are more excited about PSP than the Japanese devs, or at least I can think of fewer Japanese devs that are excited about it.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Western devs are more excited about PSP because they see it as an opportunity to get some of the handheld business. Smaller, independent devs in particular are hopeful that it will provide a market for them where their games won't be overlooked.

B E N K E

Yeah, I interviewed these guys in London a couple of weeks back (interview isn't published yet), but they gave about the same answer on the PSP. Eventhough I was asking more about bringing Silent Hill to it. They didn't like the idea of playing a horror game on the go, so Yamaoka suggested they might make a "pikmin-style" horror game. We talked for an hour or so and there were many strange answers... And lots of laughing.

Brofist

The impression I got after reading his comment was pretty much that it'll look gay hanging around your neck, which I could have told you before.

Pug

I'm not interested in buying either a PSP or DS. I have no time for such gaming, but looking at it from afar, you can't help but be impressed with the PSP. Not the specifications or anything, because they mean nothing to me but the games that are on the way, GT4 MGS etc etc. Yep games we've all played before but hey that what the general gaming public want. The DS seems to be aimed at making developers/publishers come up with something new in software terms. Problem is publishers 99% take the easy route. By the way following the article in Edge which stated that the screen quality used in the prototype was off very high quality and would be downgarded in the consummer unit, I had an email from a developer friend who also had been told this would be the case. The screen has been improved with regard to viewing angles though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
By the way following the article in Edge which stated that the screen quality used in the prototype was off very high quality and would be downgarded in the consummer unit, I had an email from a developer friend who also had been told this would be the case. The screen has been improved with regard to viewing angles though.
So, it's downgraded, but improved. Makes sense.

I'm betting noone outside engineers working on PSP has any clue as to what screen it will end up with right now. Masani has been quoted saying that they want to improve the viewing angles from the prototype screen, but that's the only thing that has ever been said about that issue. It's easy to see from that quote though, that the screen will likely not stay the same as it was on the prototype, for the good or the bad.

cybamerc

Well, there's more to an lcd display than viewing angles. Bit depth, contrast, response time, pixel pitch, pixel fill factor etc.

ourumov

Yep it's kinda fun that Yamaoka talks about nobody wearing something on the neck...considering how we have seen him sometimes.

shuri

Banned
efralope said:
that's basically what it comes down to. Remember the BBC question thing in that other thread. This is why games are the future.

Are you seriously saying that games will eventually replace movies?

Broshnat

Banned
DS is miles better than PSP !!

The best 4 games ever made (in order):

Zelda: Ocarina
GoldenEye
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64

The chance to play them all wherever you go (just a matter of time before Ocarina gets ported as well), along with the hundreds of other awesome games that will be released, how can anything be better?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Broshnat, that's a rather unrelated comment to make given the comments made about the DS in this particular interview.

EmSeta

Tsuboyama: We implemented almost everything we wanted to include in the game, however some of the creatures couldn't be included; there was this creature that had two heads with one body, which is ethically not well accepted to the public, so we didn't let it to the final game.

Err? They removed the twin babies from the US version?

And isn't this comment a bit odd? They've had knife-wielding children and generally the sickest monster designs ever. And two heads would be too much?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, there's more to an lcd display than viewing angles. Bit depth, contrast, response time, pixel pitch, pixel fill factor etc.
That's true, but from my experience with LCD screens over the years, single improvements have rarely, if ever, went alone. It's simply that the new technology replaced the old one several times now, and the new one was better in pretty much everything. It will be interesting to see if the screen will be visibly different, but considering that the screens used on the lastest crop of Sony's pocketable devices look prety much like that prototype PSP screen (which I haven't seen personally, but it looks in-line with what's available on PDAs and such), I doubt they'd use anything less in the future.

Broshnat said:
DS is miles better than PSP !!

The best 4 games ever made (in order):

Zelda: Ocarina
GoldenEye
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64

The chance to play them all wherever you go (just a matter of time before Ocarina gets ported as well), along with the hundreds of other awesome games that will be released, how can anything be better?

wait when did they say Zelda and Mario Kart 64?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
improving the viewing angle on a *handheld* device is pretty stupid IMO. You are going to be looking at the damn thing straight on!

Viewing angles on TVs are important, but not a frigging gameboy!

cybamerc

Marconelly:

> That's true, but from my experience with LCD screens over the years, single
> improvements have rarely, if ever, went alone.

You're looking at it the wrong way. The new screen in all likelihood has nothing to do with the old one. It's not an improved version but rather a different panel altogether. It's not at all unlikely that the new screen is better in some ways and inferior in others.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not at all unlikely that the new screen is better in some ways and inferior in others.
Which is prety rare occurence, and that was my point. From all my experience with PDAs, screens are either simply better or worse (in evey aspect). I could think of maybe one exception some five years ago, but that's about it.

improving the viewing angle on a *handheld* device is pretty stupid IMO. You are going to be looking at the damn thing straight on!
Not really if you consider that some PSP games already are designed to be played with two people playing on the same handheld, held vertically. Have you seen Puyo Pop videos?

Mustang

Banned
Is it me or does trying to play a game with a stylus and using the buttons simultaneously seem like a pain in the ass?

Like I said, maybe its just me. ;)

EmSeta said:
Err? They removed the twin babies from the US version?

And isn't this comment a bit odd? They've had knife-wielding children and generally the sickest monster designs ever. And two heads would be too much?

Odd...according to the Gamespy review of SH4, the two-headed babies are in. The review states it's based on the final version of the game, and while it doesn't explicitly state it's the US version, I assume it is, since the review says nothing about being based on an import version.

chaostrophy said:
Odd...according to the Gamespy review of SH4, the two-headed babies are in. The review states it's based on the final version of the game, and while it doesn't explicitly state it's the US version, I assume it is, since the review says nothing about being based on an import version.

They could have been talking about the European version...? But then again, who fucking knows? Not me.

cvxfreak

I'll still buy Silent Hill 4 for the U.S. PS2 and Xbox, just because Fry's has them so cheap.

06c.jpg

HOTT!

EmSeta

KyotoMecca said:
They could have been talking about the European version...? But then again, who fucking knows? Not me.

Well a friend of mine has played both the japanese and the final european version, and he didn't mention anything being altered. He said they're "exactly alike".

What is team silent smoking?

CVXFREAK said:
I'll still buy Silent Hill 4 for the U.S. PS2 and Xbox, just because Fry's has them so cheap.

06c.jpg

HOTT!

His neck (or the picture in general) is missing photoshopped portable entertainement and/or sidetalking.

Trevelyon said:
Bling Bling for PSyborgs?!

Don't give Sony any ideas! I picture a iPod type commercial with wiggers that have psp's around their neck, probably dancing around and playing at the same time. Ugh, it's exactly the type of thing I can see Sony trying to do to capture the iPod crowd.

I fear for humanity.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Don't give Sony any ideas! I picture a iPod type commercial with wiggers that have psp's around their neck, probably dancing around and playing at the same time. Ugh, it's exactly the type of thing I can see Sony trying to do to capture the iPod crowd.
Nokia already did it, and did it (very) wrong. Apple also did it actually, but they did it right. Now, if there's one thing you don't have to fear about when it comes to PS anything, it's the marketing. It's been pretty much flawless for the past ten years.

GIR

Banned
Marconelly said:
Now, if there's one thing you don't have to fear about when it comes to PS anything, it's the marketing. It's been pretty much flawless for the past ten years.
You never saw PolygonMan?

Jonnyram

efralope said:
I would argue that more people would like to sit their ass on the sofa with little or no exertion after a hard day of work. Mind you, that's probably why FF sells so well :D

cybamerc

Marconelly:

> Which is prety rare occurence

I sincerely doubt that you compare every panel used in every product on the market.

And need I remind you that the PSP hasn't been released yet?

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Nokia already did it, and did it (very) wrong. Apple also did it actually, but they did it right. Now, if there's one thing you don't have to fear about when it comes to PS anything, it's the marketing. It's been pretty much flawless for the past ten years.
Well, if by flawless you mean aping Sega's loud, crude, catering to the lowest common denominator Genesis campagin then yes. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, if by flawless you mean aping Sega's loud, crude, catering to the lowest common denominator Genesis campagin then yes. :p
No I mean hiring David Lynch to make TV commercials, and hi-res guys to make web promos ;)

Top Bottom