• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
herod said:
I must have missed it. I'll go and have another look.

You should. Touch screen, rear-touch, screen-aligned motion control, cameras/AR, location-based services, microphone etc., all standard. They threw the kitchen sink of portable differentiation at Vita...asides from a second screen, I guess :p It's a vast improvement over the PSP which basically had, well, nothing over the home systems, its portability asides.

StuBurns said:
They have bigger budgets because it costs more to make PS3 games. Why would Sony want to throw PS3 budgets at a PSV game that's far less likely to make it back? It's pointless.

If PS4 is two to three years away, it's already takes that long to make a decent console game. There is no time to move teams on to PSV.
Why make a portable system at all if you aren't going to invest your all in it? Do you see Nintendo shying away from putting their top teams on 3DS with their next gen system only a year away? Of course not

And Vita can make back money just as easily as PS3. Its not that hard to convince people to buy compelling new games from top developers

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Suzzopher said:
Nintendo need to make consumers see that the 3DS, is not just another DS. Where I live, the 3DS games share the same shelves as DS software.

Nintendo need to stop naming things almost the same as the systems that came before them. 3DS and Wii U - ughhhh

StuBurns

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Why make a portable system at all if you aren't going to invest your all in it? Do you see Nintendo shying away from putting their top teams on 3DS with their next gen system only a year away? Of course not

And Vita can make back money just as easily as PS3. Its not that hard to convince people to buy compelling new games from top developers
Vita's install base will be smaller, and the games will cost less, no it's not as easy.

Nintendo don't have 'teams' that are as recognizable, and they're practically remaking the same game every time. There's nothing impressive about that to me. And the Wii line up is literally embarrassing right now.

ShinNL

Suzzopher said:
Nintendo need to make consumers see that the 3DS, is not just another DS. Where I live, the 3DS games share the same shelves as DS software.
The game boxes look way too similar, I always have a hard time finding the right shelves.

herod said:
I must have missed it. I'll go and have another look.
Front and back touch screens?

EDIT:
gofreak said:
You should. Touch screen, rear-touch, screen-aligned motion control, cameras/AR, location-based services, microphone etc., all standard. They threw the kitchen sink of portable differentiation at Vita...asides from a second screen, I guess :p
This.

Izayoi said:
Wow.

Oh god.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

I love how that post lacked a retort.

Yeah, wow, amazing that Nintendo charged $250 for a feature that you can just turn off, and didn't add anything truly meaningful to gaming.

i was one of the vast majority of people that, at this point in the DS PSP days thought the PSP was going to win.

obviously it didn't. even so, i think we've got more of a fight on our hands... and a more interesting fight, because these handhelds are having to battle against smart phones and iPads and tablets for pocket/bag space.

i think that's where the 3G PSV comes in. that multitouch screen will let it potentially have the same major apps, and functionality that a smart phone and tablet would have, minus actually being a phone.

so if you just have a regular phone, maybe you buy a PSV instead of upgrading to a smart phone.

but software... pricing...

all looks closer this time in the sorts of experiences being offered. in many ways that makes the 3DS look more appealing as a stand alone device, but it could infact undermine the system if it's library is similar to the types of games on the more powerful hardware.

i don't know... but it looks like we've got a fight on our hands anyway.

PSV is coming in at the right price. Nintendo have a fair few months to get new software into the channel to see how sales are going at the current price, and we know that they have room to drop (since they openly admitted to upping the MSRP after E3 2010) and still make a profit.

i doubt Sony have played all their cards either. i really like the 3DS, and the experiences it offers, and the PSV looks pretty damn desirable to me as well (throw me in with Go Freak as having skipped LBP2 but being rather excited about what LBPV is bringing to the table).

herod

I don't really see front and back touch controls holding anyone's interest when compared to a new generation of hardware. The smartphones and tablets will run the rule over that particular market.

Luigiv

Where are all the third party NGP games? Can't say I'm interested enough in the current lineup jump on the early adopters bandwagon, but I'll pick one up when I find one at a good price (for what it's worth, the only reason I pre-ordered my 3DS and got it at launch was because Dick Smith Online had really good deal on it).

Edit: Oops, still calling the PSV the NGP. Oh well. :p

StuBurns said:
Vita's install base will be smaller, and the games will cost less, no it's not as easy.

Nintendo don't have 'teams' that are as recognizable, and they're practically remaking the same game every time. There's nothing impressive about that to me. And the Wii line up is literally embarrassing right now.
Yet Vita's install base has the potential to be a lot larger, launching at a lower price than PS3 and having the potential to sell as much or more as PSP did.

They cross team borders, but Nintendo essentially has the core galaxy staff and the core Smash Bros. staff on two 3DS games, it doesn't get better than that

I'm not saying every single Sony developer needs to get on board, or even at the same time, but damn at least a good few of them. Would it really hurt anybody if Guerilla took some time away from Killzone to make a new IP? Or if Journey was a Vita game instead? Or if Naughty Dog cycled between franchises on Vita and PS3-4?

Chuck Norris said:
Vita needs a library of its own franchises, not spin offs

Maybe they are playing it safe by having known franchises come first. Grow the base then shoot for the unique library. Nintendo does this all the time yet people get excited instead of saying... oh... "another" mario.

I will never understand how the gaming community can have such obvious double standards.

StuBurns said:
They have bigger budgets because it costs more to make PS3 games. Why would Sony want to throw PS3 budgets at a PSV game that's far less likely to make it back? It's pointless.

I don't think they need to throw PS3 budgets at the vita. Whay I think will happen alot is vita projects are going to be attached to PS3 titles. So we will see alot of spin offs because of the apparent ease to transfer assets and it will make it easier for a pub to swallow putting in the extra millions for a result of 2 games from one proposal than just 1 title.

Luigiv said:
Where are all the third party NGP games? Can't say I'm interested enough in the current lineup jump on the early adopters bandwagon, but I'll pick one up when I find one at a good price (for what it's worth, the only reason I pre-ordered my 3DS and got it at launch was because Dick Smith Online had really good deal on it).

As I said earlier, most of what the 3DS has coming for it in terms of third parties was announced before the 3DS' release.

Wichu

The PSV looks like a better console all-around hardware-wise (other than the obscene size).

But the 3DS will get Pokémon (technically already does due to backwards compatibility).

I carry around my handhelds quite a bit, plus I'm not ashamed to say Pokémon is probably my favourite handheld series, so I know what I'm going with. I do wish we could get the best of both, though.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
This isn't some surprise turn of events, some post-E3 luck to which Sony needs to cling.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422236&page=4

Heralding the 3DS to be a repeat of the DS with the added "masterstroke" of glasses-free 3D while believing Sony was getting caught completely off guard was a notion that totally misunderstood the hard-fought evolution smartphones had brought in terms of performance and interactivity to the mobile landscape.

Majukun

the fact is,this time is sony that has more options "gameplay-wise",and it's why i think i'll buy a vita and not a 3ds...plus vita is region free

StuBurns

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Yet Vita's install base has the potential to be a lot larger, launching at a lower price than PS3 and having the potential to sell as much or more as PSP did.

They cross team borders, but Nintendo essentially has the core galaxy staff and the core Smash Bros. staff on two 3DS games, it doesn't get better than that

I'm not saying every single Sony developer needs to get on board, or even at the same time, but damn at least a good few of them. Would it really hurt anybody if Guerilla took some time away from Killzone to make a new IP? Or if Journey was a Vita game instead? Or if Naughty Dog cycled between franchises on Vita and PS3-4?
Guerilla are making a new IP, rumored to be on Vita. MM are working on a PSV game apparently. Wipeout is from a major studio too.

Why should Journey be on a different system? They want to ship this year, and want to make money, they're a third party, they need royalties.

Naughty Dog's time is too valuable. Nintendo can do whatever they want, Sony can't. They need the PS4's line up to be incredible, they can't just shit out a current gen system with no support and sell millions like Nintendo.

SSB4 is going to be on both systems, I'm sure Sony will do plenty of multiplatform releases too.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Nintendo has a ton of better IP's at it's disposal...

Sony really lack IP's to compete with Nintendo and rely too heavily on third-parties to come to them...

This is one of the reasons why when it comes to handhelds Nintendo has been king for over 2 decades and have buried many companies with little effort even...

Sony also really don't understand the consumer and the PSVita really doesn't offer a new gaming experience...regardless of the touchscreen for me this is a "me too" feature rather than an actual innovation from Sony with game design at the forefront of their thinking...

Yes the 3DS has had underwhelming sales but the price point is slightly above what the consumers think is a value proposition clearly...I don't even own one because I don't traditionally pay £150+ for a handheld...but as soon as it hits sub-£150 I will be the first to line up for one.

I don't see why I need a PSVita in my gaming line up...I'm expecting more console suitable games to be on the platform and for handhelds I only like games which I can play in short bursts...even lengthy RPG's can be played in short bursts nowadays on handhelds but Uncharted certainly cannot be played in short-bursts...

I dunno I'm getting a PSP redo vibe from Vita and for me that speaks volumes about what Sony really understands about their mistakes with regards to the PSP...

Majukun said:
the fact is,this time is sony that has more options "gameplay-wise",and it's why i think i'll buy a vita and not a 3ds...plus vita is region free

This. This is why the 3DS is the PSP and the Vita is the DS. Whereas the PSP failed to beat the DS because it was just a portable PS2 (with the store, obviously), the DS introduced new gameplay mechanics that made it a unique experience for buyers. Plus, PSP was $100 more than the DS. In this case, the only thing that the 3DS offers that has not been done on the DS line was 3D, and a lot of people have no interest in 3D. However, Vita is offering significantly improved gameplay, graphics, and design, for the same price.

F#A#Oo said:
Nintendo has a ton of better IP's at it's disposal...

Sony really lack IP's to compete with Nintendo and rely too heavily on third-parties to come to them...

This is one of the reasons why when it comes to handhelds Nintendo has been king for over 2 decades and have buried many companies with little effort even...

Sony also really don't understand the consumer and the PSVita really doesn't offer a new gaming experience...regardless of the touchscreen for me this is a "me too" feature rather than an actual innovation from Sony with game design at the forefront of their thinking...

Yes the 3DS has had underwhelming sales but the price point is slightly above what the consumers think is a value proposition clearly...I don't even own one because I don't traditionally pay £150+ for a handheld...but as soon as it hits sub-£150 I will be the first to line up for one.

I don't see why I need a PSVita in my gaming line up...I'm expecting more console suitable games to be on the platform and for handhelds I only like games which I can play in short bursts...even lengthy RPG's can be played in short bursts nowadays on handhelds but Uncharted certainly cannot be played in short-bursts...

I dunno I'm getting a PSP redo vibe from Vita and for me that speaks volumes about what Sony really understands about their mistakes with regards to the PSP...

Are we arguing about what Vita provides that contributes to the industry? Because the 3DS has revolutionized this industry by adding things that should have been there from the very beginning.

The Vita introduces multi-touch to the gaming-centric handheld industry. Just because Nintendo popularized it does not mean that the companies that are taking it out of the ghetto don't deserve a pat on the back. I'm seeing competitive pricing, superior gameplay potential, and superior graphics potential. At this point, the only thing that you couldn't possibly get with the Vita are 3D and Nintendo games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
StuBurns said:
Nintendo don't have 'teams' that are as recognizable, and they're practically remaking the same game every time.

And Sony isn't? LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, Uncharted, WipeOut, they all look incredibly similar to the PS3/PSP versions. I think the games Nintendo is making for the 3DS look a lot more distinct from their predecessors than Sony's Vita titles.

thefil

Reading this thread makes me wonder if there's any chance we see Layton on Vita, and what that would mean symbolically.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I've played Nintendo games from the NES days up until the N64 and started to get bored of them. They don't change much and I just lost interest. I'll be grabbing a Vita for sure. Most of the games on it I found interesting and the device offers so much more for the same price.

I tried my friends 3DS and it gave me a headache plus if I moved the screen a bit I lost what I was looking at. I'm sure the headaches go away over time, but my head shouldn't hurt for an hour after playing something for 5 minutes. I want one to play Zelda (the last Nintendo game I really liked), but the rest of the software coming out doesn't excite me so it's not worth it.

I love my PSP, but there are some serious drawbacks with it. Looks like Sony ironed out all the things I don't like about it. Between Vita games, PSP games, PS1 classics, PSN games I will have tons to play.

Ushojax said:
And Sony isn't? LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, Uncharted, WipeOut, they all look incredibly similar to the PS3/PSP versions. I think the games Nintendo is making for the 3DS look a lot more distinct from their predecessors than Sony's Vita titles.

Animal Crossing will sell millions of copies and will be the same game.

Salacious Crumb

If Sony can get an app store style set up on Vita, selling fruit ninja and angry birds for 99c, while also offering the $40 major releases I can see it being the first real contender to the ipod touch in the strange mini tablet/pmp/handheld gaming space with the potential to replace it completely, especially at 249.

StuBurns said:
Guerilla are making a new IP, rumored to be on Vita. MM are working on a PSV game apparently. Wipeout is from a major studio too.

Why should Journey be on a different system? They want to ship this year, and want to make money, they're a third party, they need royalties.

Naughty Dog's time is too valuable. Nintendo can do whatever they want, Sony can't. They need the PS4's line up to be incredible, they can't just shit out a current gen system with no support and sell millions like Nintendo.

SSB4 is going to be on both systems, I'm sure Sony will do plenty of multiplatform releases too.
Exactly the problem here. Naughty Dog's "time is too valuable", yet you sure as shit would be getting a Vita if they were releasing a new IP on it. I would. No reason they can't do that before PS4's launch, I'm not saying they become permanent handheld developers.

IMO this is what Sony is doing wrong, they should be hitting a home run, but not putting their development weight behind it will just make it harder to convince any publisher to do it.

StuBurns

Banned
Ushojax said:
I didn't say Sony isn't. I said it's not impressive to me, it's not when Sony do it too of course.

Salacious Crumb said:
If Sony can get an app store style set up on Vita, selling fruit ninja and angry birds for 99c, while also offering the $40 major releases I can see it being the first real contender to the ipod touch in the strange mini tablet/pmp/handheld gaming space with the potential to replace it completely, especially at 249.

I wonder if Angry Birds, Zenonia and Minecraft are the kind of games that the Playstation Suite is for.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Just because Nintendo popularized it does not mean that the companies that are taking it out of the ghetto don't deserve a pat on the back.

You didn't get the memo. This was a talking point from 2004. Sony is using new ones now.

thefil

Ushojax said:

It's sort of true. But is adding touch level elements to LittleBigPlanet less valuable than gliders in Mario Kart? To me both companies are offering about the same level of new content, but sometimes we give Nintendo more of a free pass for it.

On that note, neither 3DS or Vita for me until the dust settles. Maybe not even then.

Salacious Crumb

PSFan said:
A real gamer would get both

I don't think this was meant to be a 'which one will you buy' thread, but a 'which on will succeed' thread. Right now though it's just a 'I like the games on console X so console X will succeed' thread.

Freezie KO said:
You didn't get the memo. This was a talking point from 2004. Sony is using new ones now.

Pulling handheld gaming out of the ghetto is a hilariously relevant meme in this day and age. The 3DS really didn't add enough to warrant making a second console, and going against everything Nintendo fans claim to believe in, most of its upgrades are graphical.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The optometrist in me says they go it right and is hopeful for broader success.

The pessimist says that the market is too broad and it will not be very successful. Will be a great device with a ton of SW and features though.

Cross platform play, PS Suite, PSN integration w/trophies, BC, and a lot more with VITA. I'm pretty excited.

I can't say I've felt this way at all for 3DS minus the awesome looking Mario 3D game.

PSFan said:
A real gamer would get both
That's obvious. We know at some point Nintendo will roll out Pokemon and stuff that the typical handheld gamer will go nuts for. I will buy it for the wife too, the pOKEMANZ. This thread isn't about that though.

ziran

Neither system is particularly interesting to me, and nothing compared to when DS launched. DS felt like something new, 3DS and Vita are more of the same which is okay-ish, but I'd prefer something different. Both systems have mostly uninteresting line-ups, with the exception of Paper Mario for 3DS, which is one of my favourite RPGs and looks amazing. Also, MK3DS with the potential for the gliders and new tracks looks promising.

In terms of sales, neither will be as successful as their predecessors.

Nintendo's strategy is flawed, adopting a luxury item type philosophy, similar to Sony really. Cost is a major factor. The system is too expensive and the games are far too expensive. Nintendo should be moving to a download retail space with games like Steel Diver and Pilotwings selling for around £10-15, with their retail equivalents in the £20-25 range. Online has been a mess thus far. Focusing on the 3D effect is essentially a graphical upgrade, with most titles simply selling on that premise alone, also there is the disadvantge of some people not liking it. Removing focus from stylus touchcreen gameplay is a mistake. Until Nintendo decide to sell 3DS a relatively cheap, around £130-£150 RRP, with cheap-ish sw, basically as a cheap fun handheld, they won't even get to GBA level success.

Sony's strategy is bizarre in terms of wanting to sell more or anything close to the same amount of systems as PSP. They've done little of significance to address PSP's biggest problem, selling original sw. Outside Japan (even then there are provisos), beyond a small audience of dedicated Sony fans, little suggests people want to play home console experiences on handhelds. Vita's graphics will not draw in a wider audience. The system has already lost a lot of PSP owners using their handhelds for media/pc type use to mobile phones and tablets. Development costs are also an issue. Outside Japan PSP is in an incredibly weak position, coming to market with what is essentially a 'better' version is doing little to help this.

Ultimately both are facing massive competition from mobile/tablet devices. Neither seems to address this. I also believe the days of the dedicated (or principally focused) gaming handheld are numbered.

I hope the Vita will be a big success because Sony needs it desperately.

I'll be there day one but have lots of love for the 3DS as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ziran said:
Ultimately both are facing massive competition from mobile/tablet devices. Neither seems to address this. I also believe the days of the dedicated (or principally focused) gaming handheld are numbered.
Look, both these devices have been competing against that supposes market. The problem with smart phones and such is that they aren't as focused and lack the quality SW that Nintendo and SOny have. Of course there are some neat and caliber games on those devices but they are needle in a haystack with as much junk that you find on there.

Now what Nintendo and Sony have done is put in features to compete with the smart phones, especially Sony with PS Suite. Ultimately you can rationalize to why these 2 handhelds may not be as successful due to the current market BUY you can't argue that it's all about the games and they will far outclass these other devices it's not even worth comparing.

thefil

ziran said:
Neither system is particularly interesting to me, and nothing compared to when DS launched. DS felt like something new, 3DS and Vita are more of the same which is okay-ish, but I'd prefer something different. Both systems have mostly uninteresting line-ups, with the exception of Paper Mario for 3DS, which is one of my favourite RPGs and looks amazing. Also, MK3DS with the potential for the gliders and new tracks looks promising.

I suspect the gliders would be possible on the DS too. I think one point in favour of the PSV as being a necessary upgrade to the PSP is that it genuinely broadens the category of possible games.

It will be so interesting to see what happens.

thefil

*sorry for double post, thought the thread was moving fast enough

I think the only way PSV could have really competed with Nintendo 3DS is if Sony made the concerted effort to rebrand as a device with wider appeal than the PSP. PSV is a gorgeous gaming device, but I don't think it's an appealing household item in the way a DS Lite or iPad is.

Izayoi

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
I love how that post lacked a retort.

Yeah, wow, amazing that Nintendo charged $250 for a feature that you can just turn off, and didn't add anything truly meaningful to gaming.
I was more wowing at the fact that you called it a DS 1.5 (or no better than a PSP), which is completely ridiculous.

What's different...

Price - Now, both systems cost the same, both system's games cost the same and you're still getting a crapton more value from the Vita and it's games.

Battery life - Now, both systems have comparable battery life.

Storage - Now, both systems use cartrages, which should decrease loadtimes and improve battery life.

Dual Analog - Now, the Vita has dual analog and can actual deliver the same experience as it's console brethren, rather than a crippled version of the controls.

What's the same...

Ugly - The 3DS is one ugly mofo (I have one), same as the original DS. It has a crappy resoluton for both screens, plenty of jaggies and now even has region locking. It seems like Sony is doing EVERYTHING right, while Nintendo is repeating the same problems the original DS had, and adding some on top of that (price, battery life, region locking etc).

Mario - Nintendo has Mario Kart and Mario 3DS, and will come out on top regardless, for this one reason alone.

StuBurns

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Mario - Nintendo has Mario Kart and Mario 3DS, and will come out on top regardless, for this one reason alone.
They had them on N64 and GC too. It's hardly a guarantee.

Salacious Crumb said:
I don't think this was meant to be a 'which one will you buy' thread, but a 'which on will succeed' thread. Right now though it's just a 'I like the games on console X so console X will succeed' thread.

if we're just talking about which one will be more successful, 3DS will probably win. Nintendo can survive with just their own IP, Mario and Pokemon is a very strong brand. and 3DS is already making profit right away.

although I have feeling that PSV will eat quite a few of 3DS shares. the ratio between 3DS and PSV will be a bit closer, compared to DS completely dominating PSP last gen.

Alrus

Chuck Norris said:
A lot of those games rode a big wave of Nintendo's success

Its all reciprocal as we learned with PSP. Just cause you have big franchises, doesn't mean they'll be instant big sellers if the fanbase isn't there.

The difference being those big franchise on PSP were really watered down version of their console iterations. (See Chain of Olympus as a smashing example of this) Nintendo games work really well on handhelds without many compromise.

Also I seriously doubt Killzone and LBP on Vita are gonna sell better or even equal to their console versions (which never sold that much to begin with). Both aren't that big and get way too much credit as far as their selling power go.

Top Bottom