• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR OR SWITCH

redfirm

Banned
HEY People, i got a huge dilemma, i currenty own a ps4 pro and I am considering either buying a nintendo switch or a psvr with camera,vr worlds andastrobot (allnew) for 189 euro. i can buy the vr for the lowest price it has ever been or add 150 euro on top and buy a switch + mario kart. what is the advise of some of you who own both of these. please keep in mind that i got a girlfriend who is slowly starting to enjoy gaming and plays games such as detroit becoming human, i would like my purchase to also help her to get more into gaming and i wonder which of these two can make her love gaming more

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me it's no brainer its Switch. I want games like Xenoblade 2, Octopath BotW and upcoming games like Daemon X Machina and Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V more than PSVR games. In the end it depends on your taste.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
PSVR is a totally new and different experience if you'd like to try that out. You put that headset on and you're in a different reality. It's not perfect, though. If you can try it out before maybe?

Nintendo Switch is your usual gaming, but if you're either into Nintendo or portable games, or both, then it's a good choice too. It has an ok number of multiplats, but not all of course due to it's limited power (so no games like Red dead redemption, GTA, etc).

It's all what you value more now. Hope this helps.

redfirm

Banned
PSVR is a totally new and different experience if you'd like to try that out. You put that headset on and you're in a different reality. It's not perfect, though. If you can try it out before maybe?

Nintendo Switch is your usual gaming, but if you're either into Nintendo or portable games, or both, then it's a good choice too. It has an ok number of multiplats, but not all of course due to it's limited power (so no games like Red dead redemption, GTA, etc).

It's all what you value more now. Hope this helps.

I own a high end pc, i have the ps4 pro and i really want a console which my girlfriend enjoyes mostly, i am just kind of put off by the cost of the switch, i know she likes mario games etc, i am just wondering if i should step in now or wait for the second version of the switch

Last edited:

Kanhir

Switch.

VR is still a very niche experience which can be hit or miss depending on the person, so I wouldn't use that as a gateway drug into gaming for your girlfriend.
Conversely, the Switch is more versatile by design and its library is far larger and more varied than the PSVR library. It's also the best console for couch co-op if you want to play games with your girlfriend.

TLZ

Banned
I own a high end pc, i have the ps4 pro and i really want a console which my girlfriend enjoyes mostly, i am just kind of put off by the cost of the switch, i know she likes mario games etc, i am just wondering if i should step in now or wait for the second version of the switch
If you can get that psvr bundle at that cheap price now and wait for the new Switch next year, or even get the same Switch cheaper next year, then why not. I'm assuming you can get both in this case.

Boss Mog

I had the same dillema as you OP and chose PSVR because Switch is still too expensive for what it is and the games I want are all still expensive. A switch with Mario, Smash, Zelda and Mario Kart would be like 500€, plus there is supposedly a new version of the Switch coming out next year. I got the PSVR Mega Pack instead for 229€ which comes with PSVR v2 unit, camera v2 and 5 games which include VR Worlds, Astro Bot, Doom VR, Skyrim VR and Wipeout VR. PLus I already have some games with VR functionality like RE7. I may also pick up FireWall Zero Hour which I've seen on sale for 19,99€.

The only thing is, I've played PSVR at a friends house so I know that I like it, If you've never played VR it's risky to go in blind because it might make you sick and then you're screwed. Otherwise PSVR is truly great and if you're in Europe you probably can get the Mega Pack for 229€ too which is a great deal imo:
ps_vr_mega_pack_1544621365636.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PS VR is awesome but it's quite limited in what there is on offer. Most of the games are very, very short experiences, though Astro Bot is phenomenal.

Switch is a whole new platform that will let you play a heap of exclusives, not to mention on-the-go. Also, one of you can use the PS4 while the other uses the Switch but still hang out, that's what me and my girlfriend do often. I would say drop the extra cash on Switch, maybe wait for January sales. You'll get more use out of it overall. Saying that, PS VR is still great and I'd get one of those next year too.

I'd be inclined to say Switch as you'd likely get more out of that in the long term. I'd personally be more interested in the VR headset for PS5 (assuming it will come which I do). All-round specs for both should be a lot more attractive although the pricing will likely be steep at first too.

Bankai

I had the same dillema as you OP and chose PSVR because Switch is still too expensive for what it is and the games I want are all still expensive. A switch with Mario, Smash, Zelda and Mario Kart would be like 500€, plus there is supposedly a new version of the Switch coming out next year. I got the PSVR Mega Pack instead for 229€ which comes with PSVR v2 unit, camera v2 and 5 games which include VR Worlds, Astro Bot, Doom VR, Skyrim VR and Wipeout VR. PLus I already have some games with VR functionality like RE7. I may also pick up FireWall Zero Hour which I've seen on sale for 19,99€.

The only thing is, I've played PSVR at a friends house so I know that I like it, If you've never played VR it's risky to go in blind because it might make you sick and then you're screwed. Otherwise PSVR is truly great and if you're in Europe you probably can get the Mega Pack for 229€ too which is a great deal imo:

This f*kin' pack.. makes it so hard to say no!! :(

Antoon

Banned
Switch easily. VR gaming is pretty barebones right now, with very very few titles worth owning. Unless you like tech demos/experimental type of gaming then VR can be interesting (if you can avoid eye strain/damage that comes with long usage).

Saruhashi

Banned
HEY People, i got a huge dilemma, i currenty own a ps4 pro and I am considering either buying a nintendo switch or a psvr with camera,vr worlds andastrobot (allnew) for 189 euro. i can buy the vr for the lowest price it has ever been or add 150 euro on top and buy a switch + mario kart. what is the advise of some of you who own both of these. please keep in mind that i got a girlfriend who is slowly starting to enjoy gaming and plays games such as detroit becoming human, i would like my purchase to also help her to get more into gaming and i wonder which of these two can make her love gaming more

I do like VR but to be honest my experience has been that I might play it for an hour or so now and then. The novelty wears off and the actual available games are not up to very much. Astro Bot and Tetris Effect are the must haves but you'd probably be done with them in a week,

At a minimum, if you've never owned a Switch before, you haven't played Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Smash Bros Ultimate. That's 3 top tier games with TONS of content right there.

For the GF, there's a wide range of indie games that might be similar to games like Detroit. Story driven etc. Indies tend to be shorter experiences though. Not much of that kind of stuff on offer VR-wise. Not yet anyway.

Then you've got multiplayer. The Switch has the upperhand on VR there. If you and the GF want to play together then Switch is going to win there.

Plus you can take it anywhere. It's a feature that many folks seem to not want but it's there.

I mean if the fundamental question is which of these 2 will help your GF love gaming more then Switch is the answer.
If cost is relevant and the library of games is irrelevant then maybe VR could be what you need.

VR is good though. It's a very immersive and cool experience.

The two aren't really comparable though when you think about it. Both are offering very different, and very good, experiences overall.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
If you get a PSVR. Make sure you get Tetris Effect also. While Tetris Effect is absolutely fantastic without VR. PSVR really makes it an experience like no other.

Humdinger

Switch would probably be a better choice, especially if you're trying to get your girlfriend into gaming. She's likely to perceive VR as interesting but ultimately too "geeky" for her to really get into. The Switch is much more newbie/casual-friendly, whereas VR is more a niche device for hardcore enthusiasts.

I bought PSVR myself but ended up selling it. It just doesn't have the library or technology I like yet. Maybe next gen.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
VR was fun for me for a few weeks then the novelty wore off. A lot of the games gave me motion sickness that left me feeling really bad to my stomach for hours.

Switch has a good enough library that I would buy that if given a choice between the two.

Vawn

Banned
Apples and bowling balls.

I love both, but they couldn't be more different.

PSVR has really hit its stride lately. Astro Bot, Moss and Tetris Effect were all amazing experiences.

Last edited:
VR by far, expecially is you already have a good mobile. The Switch is just a WiiU done better with mostly the same games at FULL price again. VR is totalty new and has better games than the Switch.

Ogbert

VR by far, expecially is you already have a good mobile. The Switch is just a WiiU done better with mostly the same games at FULL price again. VR is totalty new and has better games than the Switch.

VR does not have anything better than BoTW, Odyssey, Smash, MK8, and many many more. It’s got a few good experiences but is, overall, a niche product. And that applies to VR in general.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Depends what you're after imo.

If you want an experience like never befor but is quite short term and you're willing to spend the money for that short term, go with PSVR.

If you want to spend that money on playing Nintendo's IP's and are willing to be patient as they drop them out - essentially a much longer term prospect but one which will offer you some of the best video games they've put out. Go switch.

Summary. -short term joy - PSVR. Long term joy - Switch.

Get a switch. It had almost completely replaced my PS4 as my main console. It has a ton of great games now.

VR is and will always be a pipe dream.

VR does not have anything better than BoTW, Odyssey, Smash, MK8, and many many more. It’s got a few good experiences but is, overall, a niche product. And that applies to VR in general.
Most people find Astro Bot better than Mario Odyssey, so that isn't exactly true.
Get a switch. It had almost completely replaced my PS4 as my main console. It has a ton of great games now.

What's that supposed to mean? VR works today, and can only work exponentially better each generation. There is no such pipe dream here.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Psvr if you dont get sick easily. I did when i tested it and will not buy it because of it

It were really damn cool but not so cool to feel seasick for several days.

PocoJoe

Banned

Ps4 has more great games to offer, so that argument is invalid.

Both offer different kind of games, to me i still have only 3 switch games(zelda,xeno,mariorabbids) as nothing else have been interesting or when I have tested the game it is just boring & simple.

So depending of the taste, both or either can offer good games

If she likes Mario games, she'll love Astro Bot.

It would be easier for her to 'get' VR because it has a more immediate effect, so would be faster at drawing her in to gaming.

I'd go with PSVR, but make sure you get the Move controllers with Beat Saber and SuperHot VR as well as Astro Bot + Moss from the bundle. Other great games to get are Wipeout, RE7, Thumper, Sprint Vector.

For starters, how do you imagine playing VR with your GF?
Asymmetrical games and taking turns. It depends on the game, but taking turns in Beat Saber is a common thing in house parties with VR headsets. People generally have a blast.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Psvr if you dont get sick easily. I did when i tested it and will not buy it because of it
It were really damn cool but not so cool to feel seasick for several days.

I think this is probably a serious thing that the OP will need to consider.

I can imagine throwing down 190 euro then setting everything up then after 30 mins of play the GF is throwing up and confined to bed for the rest of the day.

If I could give one piece of advice to anyone considering investment in VR it would be "try before you buy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

Huh, turns out women are more susceptible than men. Pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Most people find Astro Bot better than Mario Odyssey, so that isn't exactly true.

What's that supposed to mean? VR works today, and can only work exponentially better each generation. There is no such pipe dream here.

VR is a pipe dream. People want the Ready Player One/Matrix existence, where you can live another life in a simulated world. It will never work. There are real life complications that will always hamper VR. If you have adult responsibilities, say a child, dog, or just an SO why would you put on a headset and shut yourself off? As for the tech working, sure it works, but what benefit are you getting from moving about in a small area that couldn’t be attained through looking at a monitor or TV?

Please dont listen to this kind of nonsense.

VR can be magic.

And magic isn’t real.

redfirm

Banned
just a update, i did try vr and i did not get sick. so motion sickness is not the issue, the question is what do you guys, with all your experience advise if we take everything into consideration. Keep in mind that i am hoping for a psvr2 in the upcoming year or two.

VR is a pipe dream. People want the Ready Player One/Matrix existence, where you can live another life in a simulated world. It will never work. There are real life complications that will always hamper VR. If you have adult responsibilities, say a child, dog, or just an SO why would you put on a headset and shut yourself off? As for the tech working, sure it works, but what benefit are you getting from moving about in a small area that couldn’t be attained through looking at a monitor or TV?

And magic isn’t real.
If you can't see the benefit versus a monitor, why don't you try VR instead of guessing what it's like? Even in a small space, it works and changes things fundamentally.

Benefits for VR gaming are: sense of presence, higher immersion, more interaction, new forms of gameplay and new genres, new feelings and emotions invoked by the game, heightened feelings and emotions, more connection to the story, characters, and the world, social presence and player avatars, greater freedom and control, and true escapism.

As for blocking people out, you're not thinking ahead. The headsets will obviously just have mixed reality support in a few years and let you have a mixed view of real and virtual with any amount of blending, and eventually a full see-through AR mode.

I've already lived another life in a simulated world. It's not nearly as real as reality yet, but I've definitely lived a completely separate life and became a completely different person.

VR is progressing far far faster than you think:

https://gfycat.com/IncredibleShoddyCowrie

Last edited:
just a update, i did try vr and i did not get sick. so motion sickness is not the issue, the question is what do you guys, with all your experience advise if we take everything into consideration. Keep in mind that i am hoping for a psvr2 in the upcoming year or two.
I'm not expecting PSVR2 for a few years still. I could be wrong on that, but they likely want to separate the price of buying PS5 at launch with a headset a year or two later.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Switch for sure. Lots of great exclusives and I find it's gimmick much more useful. I never thought I'd play portable often, but I find myself taking it with me often and playing in tabletop mode at work and such. It's been pretty great...

Saruhashi

Banned

It's too difficult to say, mate.
They both offer very different experiences.

If cost is an issue then VR is cheaper but if you intend to add in the PS move controllers then maybe it's more, I dunno.

If we are talking about games then Switch has that nailed down, in my opinion. VR offers shorter experiences that are usually cheaper too but if we are just talking games the Switch is FAR superior.

If you intend to play multiplayer a lot then Switch probably has the upper hand there.

Obviously the pros and cons of the portability of the Switch is just going to come down to your personal preference.
It would mean one of you can play Switch while the other is playing PS which is kinda cool I guess.

If your GF likes games like Detroit etc then I don't think VR has much to offer there but Switch also only has indies that offer that kind of game.
If she likes Mario games then Odyssey is about as good as you can get.

PSVR is kind of like a cutting edge demo of what VR might be like in 5 to 10 years from now. It will definitely make you go "wow" over the first few days and maybe even with every new release BUT I don't think there is much longevity there. The novelty wears off. The best game for VR right now as far as I'm concerned is Tetris Effect.

I don't know what the future of the Switch will be. It's a Nintendo console. *Shrugs*

bitbydeath

There’s rumours that PSVR2 will actually be built into the PS5. Since you tried VR already and that hasn’t gotten you over the line then I’d go with Switch.

I myself would probably go Switch over the two although that mega bundle is mighty tempting to pull the trigger on...

Gamernyc78

Banned
I own all systems and this is an easy one. Get PSVR it's on a whole diff level and a different gaming experience. Psvr 2 is like 2 years away trust me you'll get more than your money's worth out of the PSVR by then.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
There’s rumours that PSVR2 will actually be built into the PS5. Since you tried VR already and that hasn’t gotten you over the line then I’d go with Switch.

I myself would probably go Switch over the two although that mega bundle is mighty tempting to pull the trigger on...
would this mean that you could use any headset with ps5 and are no longer bound to sonys ?

Ogbert

I think people are amazed to be playing something on VR that is a game rather than a tech demo.

Anyway. Whatever floats your boat.

But the idea that PSVR is going to deliver a better game catalogue than Nintendo is straight up bullshit.

redfirm

Banned
alright guys, i just ordered the vr megapack for 229 and ill get a 10 euro discount so 219 euro for this psvr +camera+ astrobot+vrworlds+skyrim+doom+wipeout and i will be getting the switch mid next year once there is more information about the next update of the switch v2. i just cant afford the switch right now, knowing that there might be a new version next year. also the switch will end up costing me around 500 euro, so ill just grab the psvr deal right now and get the switch in 6 months.

Last edited:
I think people are amazed to be playing something on VR that is a game rather than a tech demo.

But the idea that PSVR is going to deliver a better game catalogue than Nintendo is straight up bullshit.
That's hardly the case. I've seen hundreds of comparisons and people just get more fun out of Astro Bot, and what it actually does as a game is more innovative and fresh.

The overall PSVR catalog is not as good, but the ceiling for enjoyment and revolutionary games is a lot higher with PSVR, which might factor in the purchase decision.

Last edited:
alright guys, i just ordered the vr megapack for 229 and ill get a 10 euro discount so 219 euro for this psvr +camera+ astrobot+vrworlds+skyrim+doom+wipeout and i will be getting the switch mid next year once there is more information about the next update of the switch v2. i just cant afford the switch right now, knowing that there might be a new version next year. also the switch will end up costing me around 500 euro, so ill just grab the psvr deal right now and get the switch in 6 months.
That's a pretty good deal. But I'd really really advise getting Move controllers as well. If/when you do get them, grab Beat Saber as your first purchase - it's addictive as hell.

Gamernyc78

Banned

This post is complete bs. So your telling me (I have a switch) that I'm not enjoying my PSVR games more than my switch? I have both and guess what? I prefer the PSVR game catalog more than my switch. My switch rarely gets used. Its subjective so dont give your opinion as fact because it's not.

redfirm

Banned
That's a pretty good deal. But I'd really really advise getting Move controllers as well. If/when you do get them, grab Beat Saber as your first purchase - it's addictive as hell.
haha thats one game i have high on my rader and definitely will buy :) thank you so much!

Yeah uhh... citation needed dude...
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/astro-bot-rescue-mission
https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-mario-odyssey

You'd assume there's be a significant difference in user score if "most" people like Astro Bot better... do you have another way to measure public opinion on this matter?
Most of the Odyssey user reviews were written before Astro Bot came out.

We need comparisons from those who have tried both.

Here are hundreds of people who prefer Astro Bot:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/as...t-3d-platformer-you-can-currently-play.83120/ A Thread that mentioned nothing about Astro Bot is mostly filled with Astro Bot.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/after-psvr-astrobot-super-mario-odyssey-is-just-sorta-boring.86172/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/consider-psvr-on-black-friday.79807/ Lots of people's impressions of Astro Bot here.

bitbydeath

would this mean that you could use any headset with ps5 and are no longer bound to sonys ?

There’s been a few hints about, the one here from RuethnicCookie I posted about is one where he/she states PSVR will be inside the console.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ruth...says-ps5-is-a-monster-details-inside.1468163/

A VR dev stating.

However, PlayStation 5 and PSVR should be considered essential together.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60818/ps5-psvr-should-considered-essential-together/index.html

And of course the patent Sony filed.

https://appuals.com/playstation-vr-...ing-ps5-to-feature-built-in-vr-functionality/

There may have been others as well but those were the memorable ones.

Top Bottom