• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR OR SWITCH

People get very defensive on things they invested money on
Its the very basis of console warring
Yes, but there are more than enough genuine reactions (and reviews) of VR hardware / games to suggest that this isn't the norm at all. It might be a factor combined with genuine enjoyment, but the fact that there is genuine enjoyment in the first place disregards his comment on having wasted money on a gimmick.

I actually see far more haters of VR (who haven't used it) than I do of people actually shilling for VR on the basis that they are merely defending their 'wasted' purchase.

Ogbert

The one thing I will say is that if you are interested in VR, the PSVR is a good way to go. Not too expensive and you get a good experience with it.

Part of the reason I think it’s gimmicky and overpriced is I sunk more money into Rift, which simply is not worth it.

For a couple hundred, I guess it’s worth a shot.

Would still recommend a Switch over it though.

LOLCats

Banned
PSVR kits will be 100$ off starting 12/16. So really you can get into those for about 200$-250$ (189$ @Target with Redcard). I am going to wait for the next version with the next console. I feel it may collect dust with its current game set.

Id get the switch personally, but then again i am waiting on the switch until i can get it for 220$ or less from a reputable seller. (there was a 10 minute facebook dailysteals for 180$ recently, but i didnt pull the trigger)

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I have both, get a switch. More content, less invasive playing, portability.

Even if you've tried VR and liked it, if you don't really experience it for an hour straight you wont understand the physical impact it can have on your body.

As much as I love PSVR, it has very short term usability before discomfort

Last edited:
Don't worry, you make up for all of them...
Thing is, if someone is hating on VR without having tried it, they won't have knowledge or facts about the topic. I on the other hand, among other VR fans, are going to have the facts and knowledge about the medium.

Since I know what I'm talking about with anything related to VR, I know how things actually stand.

VR does not have anything better than BoTW, Odyssey, Smash, MK8, and many many more. It’s got a few good experiences but is, overall, a niche product. And that applies to VR in general.

Switch has norhing like RE7, Rez, Tetris, Astro Bot, GT Sport in VR. Dom and Skyrim are great in VR. WiiU games are nothing new, even if playing them on the go is cool.

But to be honest, i would now wait for PSVR2 and Switch pro and 2019/2020 smartphones.

BANGS

Banned
Thing is, if someone is hating on VR without having tried it, they won't have knowledge or facts about the topic. I on the other hand, among other VR fans, are going to have the facts and knowledge about the medium.
Ignorance vs bias... both completely useless IMO...

Ignorance vs bias... both completely useless IMO...
Hardly. If I'm laying out facts, they aren't biased.

And if I was so biased, explain why I'm usually quick to point out many or even every flaw of VR? And you've seen me do this.

If I was trying to sell VR so hard, I would be speaking like a true marketer, avoiding any mention of flaws. No. I talk about the low resolution, the bulk of headsets, the wires, the setup process, the low field of view, the potential for headaches and eye strain, and the lack of AAA exclusive content.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Hardly. If I'm laying out facts, they aren't biased.

And if I was so biased, explain why I'm usually quick to point out many or even every flaw of VR? And you've seen me do this.

If I was trying to sell VR so hard, I would be speaking like a true marketer, avoiding any mention of flaws. No. I talk about the low resolution, the bulk of headsets, the wires, the setup process, the low field of view, the potential for headaches and eye strain, and the lack of AAA exclusive content.
The problem is you state your biased opinions as fact. All the time. But you're too biased to even realize it...

BANGS

Banned

---

Most people find Astro Bot better than Mario Odyssey
VR works today, and can only work exponentially better each generation.
It would be easier for her to 'get' VR because it has a more immediate effect, so would be faster at drawing her in to gaming.
Benefits for VR gaming are: sense of presence, higher immersion, more interaction, new forms of gameplay and new genres, new feelings and emotions invoked by the game, heightened feelings and emotions, more connection to the story, characters, and the world, social presence and player avatars, greater freedom and control, and true escapism.
The overall PSVR catalog is not as good, but the ceiling for enjoyment and revolutionary games is a lot higher with PSVR
What VR offers is a heightened experience in gaming. It's where the most innovation and revolutionary gaming experiences are occuring.
Wipeout, Thumper, Rez Infinite, RE7 all play far better in VR. Skyrim and Borderlands 2 are much more experimental so it's more subjective, but there is no question that the others mentioned are best in VR.
as great as BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Smash, Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler, MK8, and Splatoon 2 are, they are very much rooted in the realm of traditional gaming and are less likely to wow you as much as time spent in PSVR.
It is more dependent on the game, but the medium is what lifts the ceiling of impact in the first place. There's a reason why even simple VR games blow people away, because the medium is driving a sensory experience that is beyond what other forms of gaming offer. The more sensory data you have, the more impact it's going to have on your brain. The perfect example is just taking a game ported over to VR and seeing which is more mindblowing or impactful. Unless the port is absolutely awful, it's going to be VR.
But because VR is literally a higher sensory experience, it makes sense that it would offer something more magical. Both Astro Bot and Lone Echo were considered Mario 64 moments by many that have played them. In comparison, Mario Odyssey itself hasn't really had that response.(NOTE: This one is especially good considering Odyssey was called the new Mario 64 at launch quite often)
Of course you can get impactful games without VR. But the moment a game truly makes use of VR, on a biological scale, it has the potential to be more impactful.
It is objectively superior in certain scenarios.

Now just a heads up before you reply "b-bu-but those ARE facts"... they're not, and no amount of your whining will change that...

Last edited:

jadedm17

Switch will be more filling longterm.

I loved my day one PSVR but there's nothing you'll be playing hours a day for weeks, let alone years (Smash bros)

Now just a heads up before you reply "b-bu-but those ARE facts"... they're not, and no amount of your whining will change that...
"Most people find Astro Bot better than Mario Odyssey "
From all of the impressions available, this is true. Most people that have tried both from those impressions are on board with Astro Bot.

"VR works today, and can only work exponentially better each generation. "
Uhh, hello? 1+1 = 2 is about as grounded in reality as this statement. No explanation needed.

"It would be easier for her to 'get' VR because it has a more immediate effect, so would be faster at drawing her in to gaming. "
This is true. There is less barrier to entry because it's a natural experience. You can put someone in Beat Saber and they'll just get it. Explaining how to handle a controller for Mario Kart is harder.

"Benefits for VR gaming are: sense of presence, higher immersion, more interaction, new forms of gameplay and new genres, new feelings and emotions invoked by the game, heightened feelings and emotions, more connection to the story, characters, and the world, social presence and player avatars, greater freedom and control, and true escapism. "
All true. Either gameplay proven (new genres, interaction etc) or biologically proven. (presence, social presence, more immersion, heightened emotions)

"The overall PSVR catalog is not as good, but the ceiling for enjoyment and revolutionary games is a lot higher with PSVR "
+ "What VR offers is a heightened experience in gaming. It's where the most innovation and revolutionary gaming experiences are occuring. "
It's fact that PSVR is more revolutionary than a Switch based on how different it is to normal gaming, and has more innovative games and applications. I'll name 3 random PSVR games. Find me 3 Switch games that are more revolutionary and innovative. SuperHot VR, Astro Bot, and Firewall Zero Hour.

"Wipeout, Thumper, Rez Infinite, RE7 all play far better in VR. Skyrim and Borderlands 2 are much more experimental so it's more subjective, but there is no question that the others mentioned are best in VR."
The game experience and gameplay is better in every one of those four examples. Most reviews and player feedback back me up on this.

"as great as BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Smash, Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler, MK8, and Splatoon 2 are, they are very much rooted in the realm of traditional gaming and are less likely to wow you as much as time spent in PSVR. "
Biologically proven. The more senesory data you have, the more your brain responds, and therefore a higher chance of wowing with VR than Switch. This is why people are always more scared in the VR version of RE7 for example.

"It is more dependent on the game, but the medium is what lifts the ceiling of impact in the first place. There's a reason why even simple VR games blow people away, because the medium is driving a sensory experience that is beyond what other forms of gaming offer. The more sensory data you have, the more impact it's going to have on your brain. The perfect example is just taking a game ported over to VR and seeing which is more mindblowing or impactful. Unless the port is absolutely awful, it's going to be VR. "
All true again. And guess what? Biology backs me up yet again.

"But because VR is literally a higher sensory experience, it makes sense that it would offer something more magical. Both Astro Bot and Lone Echo were considered Mario 64 moments by many that have played them. In comparison, Mario Odyssey itself hasn't really had that response.(NOTE: This one is especially good considering Odyssey was called the new Mario 64 at launch quite often) "
You can look far and wide and find very little Mario 64 impressions from Mario Odyssey compared to Astro Bot, despite Astro Bot being a much much less popular game.

"Of course you can get impactful games without VR. But the moment a game truly makes use of VR, on a biological scale, it has the potential to be more impactful. "
How many times do I need to bring up that you are arguing against science.

"It is objectively superior in certain scenarios. "
Of course this is true as well. Horror and racing games are just flat-out better at what they are trying to accomplish. The social aspect of gaming is immediately better with VR, no arguments there.

Sounds like I was right all along. Now move along, troll. My last response to your posts before I lose the benefits of VR with the rate of brain cell death happening at the moment.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Apples and oranges.

One is a game console with many of the same games as the PS4, the other is a new way to play games. I personally get sick from VR, I had to sell mine. I have a Switch but only the kids play it. I don't like Nintendo franchises and the indies are all old ports which run better on the PS4.

This is an odd question. Depending on your budget if you want a VR device, PSVR is the best offer, if you just want a console, Switch has some (few) great titles.

I'd go for a PSVR which already has great uses and titles, but then eventually for a Switch when there's more than 3 worthy games.

zenspider

This is some deep stuff right here

Can't tell if your being sarcastic - if so, fair enough!

I still think it's worth thinking about in terms of the sensationality of say, Astro Bot, and the virtuality of being in Hyrule at any given time.

There's a novel kind of escapism both hardwares offer, and it's possible to look at that in an apples-to-apples way.

Acestanley

Neo Member
I own both. Ps vr is fun and a different experience, but the switch has some of the greatest games of all time already, and theres plenty more on the way. Its also the most convenient console, as opposed to the psvr, which is the most inconvenient peripheral.

redfirm

Banned
Got myself a vr. Tried it out and I am more than happy with it. I just love the experience and I am glad I did not go for the switch for now

redfirm

Banned
Can't tell if your being sarcastic - if so, fair enough!

I still think it's worth thinking about in terms of the sensationality of say, Astro Bot, and the virtuality of being in Hyrule at any given time.

There's a novel kind of escapism both hardwares offer, and it's possible to look at that in an apples-to-apples way.
I was not sarcastic, I honestly liked what you wrote

I have a Switch (two actually) and PSVR, and if I was recommending one or the other to a stranger, I'd recommend the Switch. It's one of my favorite consoles with some truly amazing games. The PSVR is something I love (and my family is fighting over Beat Saber right now, while I avoid the "hit zone"), but I think it requires a certain state of mind. When it clicks, it clicks HARD.

I think I like my PSVR better, but I wouldn't give up either. So the correct answer is both. Gotta go. It's my turn on Beat Saber...

lingpanda

I own a high end pc, i have the ps4 pro and i really want a console which my girlfriend enjoyes mostly, i am just kind of put off by the cost of the switch, i know she likes mario games etc, i am just wondering if i should step in now or wait for the second version of the switch

You know the answer. She likes Mario games. End of discussion, get the Switch. Don't be that person who buys a gift for someone else but secretly the gift is for them.

On a side note I do own both. Initial impressions of VR was WOW! But it faded fast. The thought of pulling out the headset, dealing with feeling nausea always has me leaving it in the box it lives in today. Don't get me started on the bulky cables. If you have enough disposable income I would suggest both.

You know the answer. She likes Mario games. End of discussion, get the Switch. Don't be that person who buys a gift for someone else but secretly the gift is for them.

On a side note I do own both. Initial impressions of VR was WOW! But it faded fast. The thought of pulling out the headset, dealing with feeling nausea always has me leaving it in the box it lives in today. Don't get me started on the bulky cables. If you have enough disposable income I would suggest both.
I mean they've already purchased it now. But the thing is, PSVR has it's own Mario-like game anyway. You wouldn't think twice if Nintendo had developed it because it feels like it's directly from them.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PSVR is pretty sweet, but I think Switch is gonna make you happier. So.. Switch.

Boss Mog

So I've been testing the PSVR and it's pretty insane. Astro Bot is just on another level, It's makes playing standard games seem like something primitive. The intro makes you feel like you're in a pixar movie. To think VR in its infancy is already this insane, the future is going to be crazy. I played around on Youtube too, they have a lot of VR videos.

I wasn't sick at all while playing but once i took it off, it took me like 20 minutes to get back to normal, I kept thinking I was in VR, like everything was a little surreal for a while, but it wore off.

redfirm

Banned
I mean they've already purchased it now. But the thing is, PSVR has it's own Mario-like game anyway. You wouldn't think twice if Nintendo had developed it because it feels like it's directly from them.
She played astrobot and is playing it non stop, she made me buy 10 more vr games and I never imagined this but she absolutely loves the experience. She says it's like mario but so much more easy to play and so much more immersive. I made the right call

redfirm

Banned
Cool, what games did you get in the end? Hoping you got the following trio: Astro Bot, RE7, and Beat Saber.
We got astrobot wipeout skyrim doom vr world's megapack and we bought a bunch more including beat saber. We are having a blast and i never saw her have so much fun before.

Last edited:
She played astrobot and is playing it non stop, she made me buy 10 more vr games and I never imagined this but she absolutely loves the experience. She says it's like mario but so much more easy to play and so much more immersive. I made the right call
Nice. I kind of imagined this situation. It's generally easier to get a non-gamer into VR because it's a more immediate effect.

We got astrobot wipeout skyrim doom vr world's megapack and we bought a bunch more including beat saber. We are having a blast and i never saw her have so much fun before.
Awesome to hear. VR really does bring out the fun in people. I don't think I've ever felt so much joy playing a game as I have with Beat Saber.

redfirm

Banned
Nice. I kind of imagined this situation. It's generally easier to get a non-gamer into VR because it's a more immediate effect.

Awesome to hear. VR really does bring out the fun in people. I don't think I've ever felt so much joy playing a game as I have with Beat Saber.
honestly after 20 years of gaming, vr is giving me the much needed excitement again and love for gaming and the best of all i can share it with my partner. thank all of you for your great advise.

thelastword

Banned
PSVR, If you had a Wii U, you've experienced most of the Switch offerings at the same hefty $60.00. The multiplats and indies are much better on more powerful consoles and PC. The brand new experiences on Switch are few and far between, even though the quality is solid for their exclusives......

VR is a new and exciting experience and has so many great experiences already.

honestly after 20 years of gaming, vr is giving me the much needed excitement again and love for gaming and the best of all i can share it with my partner. thank all of you for your great advise.
And this is just the start of a long road of exponential improvement, both for VR hardware and software. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Don't know if anyone is still reading this but I feel like it's worth pointing out the following when people are comparing Astro Bot on PSVR to Mario Odyssey on Switch.

You are going to get about 5 hours of play out of Astro Bot before you have completed the game.
That's compared to 30 to 40 hours you'll get with Mario Odyssey.

Similarly, Moss is like a 6 hour game vs Breath of the Wild at approx 80 hours.

Also, LOL at the OP.
I want a console to get my GF into gaming. She likes story driven games like Detroit and she likes Mario.
So, I bought PSVR with Skyrim, Doom, Wipeout and Astrobot.
:)

TLZ

Banned
alright guys, i just ordered the vr megapack for 229 and ill get a 10 euro discount so 219 euro for this psvr +camera+ astrobot+vrworlds+skyrim+doom+wipeout and i will be getting the switch mid next year once there is more information about the next update of the switch v2. i just cant afford the switch right now, knowing that there might be a new version next year. also the switch will end up costing me around 500 euro, so ill just grab the psvr deal right now and get the switch in 6 months.
Good man for using common sense.

redfirm

Banned
Don't know if anyone is still reading this but I feel like it's worth pointing out the following when people are comparing Astro Bot on PSVR to Mario Odyssey on Switch.

You are going to get about 5 hours of play out of Astro Bot before you have completed the game.
That's compared to 30 to 40 hours you'll get with Mario Odyssey.

Similarly, Moss is like a 6 hour game vs Breath of the Wild at approx 80 hours.

Also, LOL at the OP.
I want a console to get my GF into gaming. She likes story driven games like Detroit and she likes Mario.
So, I bought PSVR with Skyrim, Doom, Wipeout and Astrobot.

its a pack currently in sale in my country? and we got tons of other games,+my girlfriend wanted astrobot and she loves wipeout. i really dont see the problem and you are assuming that my girlfriend does not like any of those games?

Last edited:

Akuza89

I'd be saying switch all the time.

The psvr has limited games at the moment (still) then if you factor in you won't play every single game, it dwindles your games down, I don't see it worth it just to get those personally.

At least with the switch your getting a new experience of taking console gaming on the go and have quite a large back catalogue to go back through.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
I think he said him and his girl are non gamers so VR is definitely more their speed...
YUP, well mostly my gf, i do game every now and then. but i just find it odd that some people feel insulted or feel the need to mock others for choosing the vr...i am glad we did and we are having fun!

Saruhashi

Banned
its a pack currently in sale in my country? and we got tons of other games,+my girlfriend wanted astrobot and she loves wipeout. i really dont see the problem and you are assuming that my girlfriend does not like any of those games?

No problem mate I just thought the situation was funny.

My GF loves Detroit and Mario so I got her Skyrim and Doom.
Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows that type of customer.
So it's humorous to me, sorry.

redfirm

Banned
No problem mate I just thought the situation was funny.

My GF loves Detroit and Mario so I got her Skyrim and Doom.
Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows that type of customer.
So it's humorous to me, sorry.
no insult taken, no worries!. my girlfriend favorite game is uncharted series and detroit. she loves to sit next to me with popcorn and watch, the always found the controls to hard and detroit was really the first game to get her playing and she loved it. she loves racing games because of the controls i think and she simply adores astrobot,.

BANGS

Banned
YUP, well mostly my gf, i do game every now and then. but i just find it odd that some people feel insulted or feel the need to mock others for choosing the vr...i am glad we did and we are having fun!
Unfortunately crazed fanboys take their toys way too seriously, have fun brother!

Top Bottom