• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

Nah, I'm gonna be happy until I have reason to think otherwise. Not gonna be a negative nancy for the sake of it.

Plus Broken Age got made and is good (not the greatest adventure game, but pretty good), AND Massive Chalice got made and had no problems.

Double Fine's track record with crowdfunding is solid.

After Massive Chalice, I'm pretty done with Double Fine. That game was insanely unbalanced and it had an achievement that is literally impossible to unlock without savescumming.

It's not worth my support.

Sure fig can be trusted? The main ones I've heard of are IndieGoGo & Kickstarter

No one really knows, it's too new, their only funded project hasn't delivered nor failed. I honestly don't expect they're any riskier than Indiegogo as long as you're just a backer. If you're an investor, then I guarantee you it's extremely risky unless you don't mind throwing away money or waiting a really, really long time to break even.

Svafnir

No one really knows, it's too new, their only funded project hasn't delivered nor failed. I honestly don't expect they're any riskier than Indiegogo as long as you're just a backer. If you're an investor, then I guarantee you it's extremely risky unless you don't mind throwing away money or waiting a really, really long time to break even.

It's not a new crowd funding platform. It's made specifically just for this game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah fig only exists for this game.

Actually Fig was created by the big KS success stories. DF is basically the mechanism they saw as an opportunity to really get people to sign up. But before this they had InExile, Df, and other big KS guys on board with it.

After Massive Chalice, I'm pretty done with Double Fine. That game was insanely unbalanced and it had an achievement that is literally impossible to unlock without savescumming.

Why would you use that as evidence instead of just looking at the critical success that the original Psychonauts was?

If this was a promo for Massive Chalice II you'd have a good point.

I actually don't remember enough of the first one, is there a reason to make a sequel in the end ?

It's ending was rather like the ending of Incredibles. It wraps up the current story really well but says "there's a whole lot also going on in this universe if we ever get the chance to tell that story."

Wait, game comes out planned for late 2018. Aka, Star Wars episode 8 might release earlier judging by previous Double Fine schedules...

Not gonna fund this by any stretch. Game is not even near done, so not gonna put money on something I don't know how it will be. No gameplay, no support from me. Crowdfunding is a joke, glad I stopped funding projects years ago, all of em seem like wasted money looking back.

It's not a new crowd funding platform. It's made specifically just for this game.

I see the point your trying to make isn't literal, but it's still wrong.

Their first campaign was just barely successfully funded with heavy investor backing. Also, Harmonix used Fig to take a $15 million investment so it's really more of an investment platform with a little crowdfunding sprinkled on top, but it's definitely not made purely so Psychonauts 2 can exist.

Wait, game comes out planned for late 2018. Aka, Star Wars episode 8 might release earlier judging by previous Double Fine schedules...

Not gonna fund this by any stretch. Game is not even near done, so not gonna put money on something I don't know how it will be. No gameplay, no support from me. Crowdfunding is a joke, glad I stopped funding projects years ago, all of em seem like wasted money looking back.

It's going to be like Psychonauts 1 but with different minds to explore and a few new PSI powers. You certainly don't have to back this but don't pretend like those of us who are interested have nothing to go on.

Yes, it is. There were already two other campaigns.
Space exploration game Outer Wilds
And 5th Cell also had a game on it: Anchors in the Drift
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This was the megaton of the night for me. 2015, the year everything got freaking announced. Shenmue 3, TLG, FF7 remake, Samurai Jack season 5. God damn.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, now even second-rate platformers get sequels crowdfunded but yet Microsoft and Rare continue to ignore us Banjo-fans :(. I would pledge to this though, if an Xbone retail version was an option. SInce it is not, I'm not interested.

SoulUnison

Banned
So, now even second-rate platformers get sequels crowdfunded but yet Microsoft and Rare continue to ignore us Banjo-fans :(. I would pledge to this though, if an Xbone retail version was an option. SInce it is not, I'm not interested.

Harumph.

dity

But for an extra $18 you can get an XB1 version of the game. Plus, Yooka-Laylee?

doemaaan

Wow, I didn't believe that was Gabe in the pitch video until I saw his name plastered in the youtube comments. "damn, that guy kinda looks like gabe"

You mean there is no guarantee that a game that doesn't exist might not be good when it comes out in three years? Shocking. Thanks for enlighting us.

If Tim hasn't learned his lessons from his last crowdfunding campaigns, then yes, that analogy will be rather enlightening. Give it some time.

Just woke up and didn't even know TGA already been, awful time here in Europe. But wow, I'm glad I woke up early to be a early backer! Amazing!

If those things were true for Psychonauts 2 it could still be a masterpiece.

CompC

If the graph in the video is accurate and to scale, it looks like it's expected to a $10 million+ project, including the Fig crowdfunders, Fig investors, Double Fine Money, and the unnamed external partner

3tTCa4n.png

It does say,

Yes, we do need more than that, as we've previously said we need to raise at least the same amount that went into making the original Psychonauts, which had a budget in the $10-13.5m range.

Hesh

Still waiting on my collector's box for Broken Age, née Double Fine Adventure, which is pretty annoying after all of these years. That plus the craptacular burnouts of Spacebase DF-9 and Massive Chalice make me really apprehensive to back this. I'm likely going to just wait for the game ot come out, and even then probably until a sale. I like Tim's creative vision, but I just don't really trust him with my money anymore.

robgrab

As a huge fan of the original I always hoped they'd make a sequel some day. I just pledged $250 in the off chance this becomes a reality. Still holds up well graphically on the PC. Here's some of my screens (couldn't figure out how to remove HUD).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You could get the PC physical copy and an XB1 download code. I dunno, is it for display purposes?

As for the Banjo thing... Um, Yooka-Laylee?

I'm happy about Yooka-Laylee, it's not Banjo-Threeie though.

And no, it is not about display purposes, but preservation. I don't play on PC and usualy PC discs are worthless anyway because they require online activation. I've paid for one download code in my life (Yooka-Laylee) and I don't want to make that more. And even in Yooka's case I was really struggling with that decision and ultimately decided for it because I just wanted to support the guys making the game so much it outweighed the fact I just recieve a DL-code.

Vibranium

Banned
I never really saw that ending as a cliffhanger. It leaves potential for a sequel sure, but if left alone it's a perfectly fine "the adventure continues" ending.

Lili's dad (the Psychonaut bigwig) got kidnapped though. There's something big going on.

Crayolan

I caved, backed for $33. I don't think I've ever wanted a kickstarter to succeed more than this. We need more 3D platformers, especially ones with hilarious writing, creative worlds, and unique abilities like psychonauts.

Double Fine Adventure made 167k its first day on Kickstarter
Massive Chalice - 400k

Let's see how this does

Reading this comment a few hours in is pretty funny. At 450k already.

etrain911

This is amazing. I did not imagine this getting a sequel in my lifetime. I am so so so excited. I'm willing to forgive the lateness of Broken Age and what happened with their Space game if it means getting a sequel to my GOAT.

Top Bottom