• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

MrHoot

Gotta say, ballsy to ask for exactly 3.3 million.

As nice as it is that psychonauts 2 is a thing for now, i'm not giving Schaefer any of my money for this. My confidence in him plummeted after the many broken age fiascos, all of that for a game that was lukewarm at best. And this seems even much larger scope. So i'll just patiently wait and see for the game to come out if it does.

Vibranium

Banned
Notch's proposal came literally right before the DFA Kickstarter went live. It was terrible timing and there are a lot of reasons why it didn't go through then. No need to drag anyone's name through the mud over this.

I was being sarcastic. Double Fine mentioned in the pitch video they have a third party contributing money and it could possibly be him.

Rokal

Two years ago I would have gladly thrown several hundred dollars at this but Double Fine has disappointed with every single crowd-funded or other release since. I hope it makes it to $3.3 million and turns out well, but I'm done paying for Doublefine games before the quality of the final product can be verified.

I was being sarcastic. Double Fine mentioned in the pitch video they have a third party contributing money and it could possibly be him.

Sorry. It's hard to tell with this because a lot of people do seem to be legitimately upset with Tim and/or Notch.

From the Polygon interview it's rather vague on whether Notch is actually backing.

The target window for the release of Psychonauts 2 is currently sometime near the end of 2018, but in order to get close to that mark, Schafer and Double Fine are turning to a curious blend of funding sources.

And no, none of them are Markus "Notch" Persson. Well, at least not yet. Or rather ... well, it's complicated.

"It's not Notch," Schafer told Polygon. "It's really hard to not sound shady when you have these things you can't say, these certain numbers or whatever. And I don't want to be shady about it. It's just that I have other people's interests that I am not at liberty to violate. So, I'm just trying to talk carefully."

I was the 11th backer, but pulled out and raised my pledge $30.

Proud backer of all the Double Fine kickstarters, and we are getting a new 2 Player Productions documentary which was more than worth the money I backed Broken Age for. One of the best documentaries about game dev ever.

HUELEN10

I was the 11th backer, but pulled out and raised my pledge $30.

Proud backer of all the Double Fine kickstarters, and we are getting a new 2 Player Productions documentary which was more than worth the money I backed Broken Age for. One of the best documentaries about game dev ever.

Did they ever sell or upload the documentary? Almost done with Broken Age and would love to see it when I beat it.

The documentary for Broken Age was worth the investment on that one alone.

Definitely helped with the wait as well. Broken Age became a pretty great classic adventure game with an amazing art style.

Backed.

I'm not even entirely convinced that Jack isn't a full-time Double Fine employee.

He's got that Kung Fu Panda money, he can do whatever awesome stuff he feels like!

Seeing him in this video reminded me that I've been wanting to replay Brutal Legend on PC. Seriously love that game.

Yukinari

This will totally get funded even if its not on kickstarter just because its Psychonauts.

Tim whispers into the ears of his fanbase about all the amazing games he was a part of and that alone is enough to make people fund it.

I honestly rank Tim on the same level as Inafune and im shocked i would ever think that way about them. I like Psychonauts but i can wait for a finished product.

Nzyme32

The biggest selling point is having Eric Wolpaw writing for the sequel again!

l2cDhwG.png

Couldn't be happier. Bodes well for the game!

Hollow

I fucking love Psychonauts so this was an amazing announcement tonight.

I am the milkman, my milk is delicious.

B33

Banned
I submitted it again and received a confirmation email instantly.

Hopefully I don't get charged twice.

Ultimadrago

I submitted it again and received a confirmation email instantly.

Hopefully I don't get charged twice.

As long as it's the same account, I don't think it will. Thing won't even let you upgrade without cancelling your current pledge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Eric Wolpaw actually writing a video game again is just too tempting, what can I say? Poor guy has been doing Valve comics in his spare time.

Psychonauts has better writing than all his Valve work so I'm pretty excited to see if he can match it

Beware of the GAFhype, don't say I didn't warn you.

Oh you mean amazingly successful crowdfunded games like Divinity: Original Sin, Elite: Dangerous, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and to an extent even Broken Age by this exact developer? (I really liked Massive Chalice as well, but most people seem not to for some reason).

Yeah, damn all these super shady crowdfunding projects!

Granted, Spacebase was a complete disaster but I seriously doubt they will pull anything like that with a property like Psychonauts.

Jebusman

Banned
I have exactly zero faith in anything involving "Double Fine" and "Crowdfunding" combined, so yeah.

I'll buy it and play it when (if?) it comes out, depending on impressions, but I'm not falling for this again.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhLvue17Sd7F6pU2ByRRb0igiI-WKk3D

Tim polled the backers on Twitter (and maybe on the forums too) to see if most of them were okay with releasing the docu for free, and most of us were. So they did.

This, and if you want to support 2 Player Productions, and get full 1080p download/stream (rather than youtube 720), AND get 1 on 1 interviews with the majority of the team members AND a bunch of bonus videos (Making the full documentary something crazy like 30 hours long), the downloads are farily cheap here: http://adventure.doublefine.com/ (Plus you can get other Double Fine Documentaries bundled there)

2 Player Productions are currently remastering all the episodes, as what were released were seat-of-their-pants edited/color corrected versions of each episode, in order to keep up with the dev of the game, and will put it all out on Blu-Ray, and remastered episodes go out to VHX buyers instantly.

B33

Banned
As long as it's the same account, I don't think it will. Thing won't even let you upgrade without cancelling your current pledge.
That's the weird thing.

When I clicked on the button to complete my pledge, the website visually "stuttered" and went back to the main project page.

I used the same email address, but I wasn't given the second screen to create an account until my second attempt.

Vibranium

Banned
Psychonauts has better writing than all his Valve work so I'm pretty excited to see if he can match it

Huh, I liked Portal 2 and his other stuff, but I'm just a huge fan of his humour I guess. Psychonauts does give him more opportunities to write twisted things though since you go through all types of crazy environments and minds.

HUELEN10

Beware of the GAFhype, don't say I didn't warn you.
One crowdfunding project was made by a businessman who has never done it before, for a new IP, one is being done as a direct sequel to a proven title and a proven team.

What is there to be worried about?

Griss

Whhhaaaaatt?!?!

I'm torn between being ecstatic and sad that back in the day huge announcements like this were for a game that was guaranteed to come out.

I've never backed anything but this could be the one to break that streak.

Two years ago I would have gladly thrown several hundred dollars at this but Double Fine has disappointed with every single crowd-funded or other release since. I hope it makes it to $3.3 million and turns out well, but I'm done paying for Doublefine games before the quality of the final product can be verified.

I'm with you on this. I will wait until it's done and has been thoroughly reviewed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Huh, I liked Portal 2 and his other stuff, but I'm just a huge fan of his humour I guess. Psychonauts does give him more opportunities to write twisted things though since you go through all types of crazy environments and minds.

Portal 2 might be his best. I just recently replayed Psychonauts and havent played Portal in a while.

Man I never got play it, so I wish I could share in the hype. But even I know how big a deal this, it's one of the bigger cult favourite games out there.

Oh you mean amazingly successful crowdfunded games like Divinity: Original Sin, Elite: Dangerous, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and to an extent even Broken Age by this exact developer? (I really liked Massive Chalice as well, but most people seem not to for some reason).

Yeah, damn all these super shady crowdfunding projects!

Granted, Spacebase was a complete disaster but I seriously doubt they will pull anything like that with a property like Psychonauts.

Anyone can justify any crowdfunding campaign by just listing other creator's successes. Especially if you ignore the inconsiderate decisions that creator has shown in his own past crowdfunding campaigns.

I'm just saying to be careful. Gaming communities have a bad habit of getting worked up over hyped series announcements, but all of these projects have the potential to turn into a Mighty No. 9 situation. Funding the game doesn't guarantee you the game you have in your head, it only allows the creator to play with your money.

Garlador

The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Nier 2
Shenmue III
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Psychonauts 2

What wacky dimension have I stumbled into?

We're just a "Mega Man Legends 3" and "Half-Life 3" announcement away from actual gaming nirvana.

dity

Anyone can justify any crowdfunding campaign by just listing other creator's successes. Especially if you ignore the inconsiderate decisions that creator has shown in his own past crowdfunding campaigns.

I'm just saying to be careful. Gaming communities have a bad habit of getting worked up over hyped series announcements, but all of these projects have the potential to turn into a Mighty No. 9 situation. Funding the game doesn't guarantee you the game you have in your head, it only allows the creator to play with your money.

Nah, I'm gonna be happy until I have reason to think otherwise. Not gonna be a negative nancy for the sake of it.

KHlover

Banned
Hmm still no email from DoubleFine. Paypal on mobile lacked the "Return to merchant" button, hope that wasn't needed for the confirmation email. At least paypal sent their confirmation email, so I can always just check with support.

Top Bottom