• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

Jb

More awesome news out of this campaign:

It looks like 3/4 of the required conditions are complete, too! All that remains is reblogging a tumblr post enough times. Info HERE.

That's awesome! It'd be really cool if Michel Ancel could fly out to SF to play Rayman 2 with Tim, since that's apparently what he played a bunch of before making the original Psychonauts.

spinz

i gotta say i really thought the investments would slow down, but they continue to keep pace (and pass) the backer rewards amount. Definitely an interesting development in the future of fig.

i gotta say i really thought the investments would slow down, but they continue to keep pace (and pass) the backer rewards amount. Definitely an interesting development in the future of fig.

I imagine it's not nearly as reactionary. People are taking their time to figure out if and how much they can invest, rather than just instinctively dropping a hundred or less on one of the basic rewards.

dLMN8R

Just watched the 3-part Psychonauts documentary - loved it :)

And man, if they can pull of Psychonauts in those circumstances? Can't friggen wait to see what they do with 10 extra years of development and business experience (14 if you include Psychonauts' development time) and a whole lot more financial security.

PaulloDEC

Oh, just noticed they've actually listed what all the Dev Play episodes are going to be focused on:

1) Ratchet & Clank + Spyro the Dragon (Ted Price)
2) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time + Assassin's Creed 2 (Unknown)
3) Jak & Daxter + Crash Bandicoot (Unknown)
4) Little Big Planet + Tearaway (Unknown)
5) Season Finale + Bonus Episode (Unknown)

Pretty great lineup of games, though I guess they're not revealing who the guests will actually be yet.

Just watched the 3-part Psychonauts documentary - loved it :)

And man, if they can pull of Psychonauts in those circumstances? Can't friggen wait to see what they do with 10 extra years of development and business experience (14 if you include Psychonauts' development time) and a whole lot more financial security.

Totally. Being on UE4 is super encouraging too; hopefully it'll mean avoiding many of the problems that they ran into on Brutal Legend and Broken Age.

Ooh, Tearaway is a call. None of the advertising really showed it, but there's a lot of very tight platforming in the back half of the game.

Andy Gavin would be great for the Crash/Jak run. Mark Cerny too.

Totally. Being on UE4 is super encouraging too; hopefully it'll mean avoiding many of the problems that they ran into on Brutal Legend and Broken Age.

Broken Age was 2HB, not Buddha.

PaulloDEC

Ooh, Tearaway is a call. None of the advertising really showed it, but there's a lot of very tight platforming in the back half of the game.

Andy Gavin would be great for the Crash/Jak run. Mark Cerny too.

I'd be happy with either of those guys. Tearaway is definitely a good choice, especially now that Unfolded is around. Lots of clever platforming challenges and puzzles in that version.

Broken Age was 2HB, not Buddha.

Oh sure, I just meant that they both had issues and hold-ups as a result of their bespoke engines. I remember reading that Brutal went through all sorts of troubles with middleware, and Broken Age just meant countless hours writing the new engine.

Ultimadrago

Oh, just noticed they've actually listed what all the Dev Play episodes are going to be focused on:

Pretty great lineup of games, though I guess they're not revealing who the guests will actually be yet.

Oh man! This should be fun.

Ultimadrago

Wait, looking at the standing orders playing as Raz from Psychonauts 1 in Psychonauts 2 is a goal?

WTF. That one should totally already be a fun given. Anyways, I'm hoping it's hit.

Edit: Woo! 2.6 Million!

Do they have any financial statements or market research disclosed anywhere?

If you mean stuff outside of the "brain charts" then pages 53 through 57 of their Offering Memorandum deal mostly with market research and analysis but it's mostly about how they hope to compete in today's industry, not really any research as far as sourced or peer-reviewed stuff goes. It's also worth taking a look at the "risks" section as well because that goes into marketing stuff too.

Stampy

Even if they only get funded with 3.3m (although they will get 4m or higher), this campaign will still provide them with much more money than the adventure one. The percentage they are giving to fig is probably much smaller than was the case with kickstarter. Also since more than 50% of raised money will come from investment, that can be seen as pure money to spend with no additional costs tied to it in this early process. It would be interesting to see for this campaign the percentage of the real money they get to spend on the game compared to the DFA one.

I wonder how much of the pledge investment that will fail to materialize for them, considering there doesn't seem to be any kind of commitment needed for the unaccredited investors. I would assume the goal for the project is set that high to cover for some of those losses.

fallout

It would be interesting to see for this campaign the percentage of the real money they get to spend on the game compared to the DFA one.
I seem to remember the "physical rewards" cost from DFA being about 300k? The breakdown showed up in one of the early documentary videos.

Wait, looking at the standing orders playing as Raz from Psychonauts 1 in Psychonauts 2 is a goal?

WTF. That one should totally already be a fun given. Anyways, I'm hoping it's hit.

Edit: Woo! 2.6 Million!

Huh, didn't notice that. Weird. Maybe just a joke though.

It would be cool if you could play as Lili as well though. :)

Fireblend

Banned
I can't believe how quickly this is going. If you asked me when I first backed it, I would have told you it would all depend on how much traction it got in the last couple of days. Now I think it can easily do 110-115%

RK128

Really strong line up of games I must say :D. Looking forward to seeing the videos when they come out :).

-griffy-

Banned
I'm a little confused on the rewards. Does the +$18 addon for the console versions ADD the console version to your reward so you get both the PC and console version, or OVERRIDE the PC version so you only get the console version?

PaulloDEC

Devs Play Season 2 unlocked!

Your new merit badge comes with a reward too - the new season of Dev's Play can now begin! This season we'll be looking mainly at games which inspired Psychonauts, or will likely inspire Psychonauts 2. We're excited to kick things off with classic platformer games Spyro the Dragon, followed by Ratchet and Clank, both of which feature the President of Insomniac Games - Ted Price! We'll get that up as soon as possible -- Tomorrow is the most likely!

ca9905a305.png

Has anyone else been getting this? This feels bizzare

Yeah, Lili's great! I would love if she were playable.

To be honest, it would make more sense. Raz already has a bunch of awesome powers. Maybe he'll trip on a rock and lose all of his badges. However, Lili didn't really have an adventure in the first game, so she wouldn't have any of those badges, except for levitation.

I would love to play as Lili in the game, but she doesn't have the circus acrobatics background. As much as I love her character, I need the game to be a fully fledged platformer.

Ultimadrago

To be honest, it would make more sense. Raz already has a bunch of awesome powers. Maybe he'll trip on a rock and lose all of his badges. However, Lili didn't really have an adventure in the first game, so she wouldn't have any of those badges, except for levitation.

It's said that she had earned every merit badge before Raz even shows, so she should have those powers. Of course, she doesn't have much of a reason to harness them all throughout the game.

lilio9r3t.png

I would love to play as Lili in the game, but she doesn't have the circus acrobatics background. As much as I love her character, I need the game to be a fully fledged platformer.

Fair enough, Raz's acrobatic background did play well into the platforming mechanics of the original. But I still enjoy the idea of having a few areas where platforming isn't key or required much at all while the enclosed plot of the level took over. I'm not going to pretend adding another character model is easy pumpkin pie, but tossing Lili at least a few would be appreciated.

Fair enough, Raz's acrobatic background did play well into the platforming mechanics of the original. But I still enjoy the idea of having a few areas where platforming isn't key or required much at all while the enclosed plot of the level took over. I'm not going to pretend adding another character model is easy pumpkin pie, but tossing Lili at least a few would be appreciated.

I think it just means they'll have to be more creative about it. Maybe less tightrope and pole swinging, and more levitation-type psi powers.

Animating the character isn't the hard part here (which Tim agrees on if you look at his Twitter posts regarding the Ubisoft debacle from last year). It'd be more about telling an interesting and cohesive story.

PaulloDEC

Backed with $100. Hadn't seen that Psychonauts retrospective or this Devs Play of Spyro, so thanks for the heads up!

Make sure you subscribe to Double Fine on Youtube (or just keep an eye on their channel), as there's a bunch more Dev Play videos coming after this one. I imagine Ratchet and Clank with Ted Price will be next.

Make sure you subscribe to Double Fine on Youtube (or just keep an eye on their channel), as there's a bunch more Dev Play videos coming after this one. I imagine Ratchet and Clank with Ted Price will be next.

Oh yeah, I'm subscribed. Their Dev Play of Aladdin and Lion King was excellent, with the dev of those games. Just forgot they had new content until this thread got bumped :)

Artanisix

you know what would be cool is if i didnt have to scroll down every single time i open this thread just to check the crowdfunding link in the op

Haunted

The Psychonauts retrospective is illuminating and interesting and heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Looking at the Steamspy numbers for Psychonauts afterwards made me feel better. :lol

Top Bottom