• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulsemyne presents Marvel's Damage Control on Nintendo Switch: NeoGAF Edition

ckaneo

System is terrible.

But I am tired of people saying the system is too expensive for the tech. No the tech, is great. It's like people ignore that it cost more to downsize the way they did.

But Nintendo doesn't need to be making expensive technology cause their games and 3rd party games have not justified

Spinluck

The concept of the Switch is neat and I feel like Nintendo has been wanting to do this for a while but waited on tech. Sadly, part of me feels like it's still coming out earlier than it should.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna enjoy the first party support, but I can do that and acknowledge that the system is flawed and that Nintendo made some poor out of touch decisions.

That said, not all of what OP said unreasonable. They did the best they could with current tech. I'm sure this thing is as close to their vision as possible, but the compromise to accomplish that might not be worth it.

Steroyd

The problem is assuming Switch is an either/or console. You can't really think of it in traditional home console or even traditional handheld terms. That's why the comparisons to the Xbox One and PS4 don't really work. Also, I don't think Nintendo marketed the machine as solely a home console, they emphasized both its home console features as well as handheld features during the presentation (as well as in other marketing material such as the trailer we saw back in November).

Power is also very overrated, as we've seen many times with many different consoles that power isn't really the defining trait that leads to success (not to say it doesn't help, just merely saying that it's not as big as people seem to think), it's the software and the public's interest in the games.

Power is important to a certain degree, even with the WII, game development had to cater to the hardware specifically whereas what worked on Xbox 360 would work on PS3. WIIU proved that, that isn't going to happen if there's no return in investment.

Trojan

OP, don't worry about what other people think, if you like the console no one can take that from you. Let the people debate.

That being said, all the criticism seems justified based on the Switch reveal.

Wow 2.5 hours for a graphic intensive game like Zelda which is garbage for a mobile platform but, oh no, can't criticize it cause it's a hybrid.

Seriously man? If Nintendo can't do either correctly then why bother.

Lylo

The problem here is that all those explanations don't change the fact that the console is too expensive for some people, has too short autonomy for others and it's too underpowered for the tech-savvy. In the end the only thing that matters is the user experience.

It's Nintendo that needs to convince us to buy the console, not ourselves, and they are doing a poor job trying to convince some people. I'll buy it because i always buy Nintendo hardware at launch, but i'm the exception, not the rule.

It is overly expensive all around the Switch. Not only that but online functions are still in works. It's realilty, not myths.

As I said in another thread, 3 hours is on par with what I get out of my Wii U GamePad or 3DS when playing unplugged (and the real test of battery life is how quickly it drains while suspended in sleep mode), but what concerns me is the bottom-facing positioning of the USB-C jack, which seems to preclude charging-while-playing if you want to detach the Joy-Cons and play on the portable screen with the kickstand up.

8. There are too few games releasing in 2017 -- BOTW, MK 8XL, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey -- for me to want to buy the system, especially knowing in late 2017 or 2018 the system will drop in price and be probably be be bundled with a game and probably have some sort of skin/etc that makes it cooler to buy than just the grey switch - think Majora's Mask gold 3DS XL vs stock black.

So whats the damage control answer on that?

So we're comparing a Wii U to a phone that fits in my pocket.
That's smaller. And more multifunctional. And more central to your daily life.

I don't understand why people keep making the mobile/phone comparison. It doesn't do the system any favors.

dan2026

It blows my mind what a shit show clusterfuck the Switch is.

Like holy shit Nintendo this was supposed to be a fresh start, how do you fuck up this badly?

It's unbelievable.

Kimawolf

people don't care about tech. if they did they wouldn't brag about PS4 ps4 pro as they both have bottom of the barrel shit cpus and the 4k system can't even play 4k blu rays.

so really these complaints aren't about tech, its about games.

LordRaptor

But part of me feels like it's still coming out earlier than it should.

I know what you mean but... they kind of had to.
If they're merging product lines to a new hardware paradigm, then they need to pick something fairly future proof because they'll be using it for awhile and are going to want the benefits of a software continuum for the library they're starting to build now.

ARM is a safe bet for the future, and a good fit for the portable side of things.
Nvidia are a good partner for GPUs (outside of their tendency to fuck over hardware partners) and its not like theres a wealth of people out there making gaming GPUs for mobile devices to pick and choose from, plus they get 'free' Nvidia expertise for themselves and third parties.

I mean, I think the Switch is a really nice product, and pretty impressive for its price / form factor / performance / battery combination.
The problem is primarily people who don't value one of its 'halves' (power + portability) which Nintendo have to either demonstrate or 're-diverge' in the future back into handheld and desktop builds.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
However, consider what you getting for the Uk price of 280 pounds (which by the way is more expensive than America is paying).

The UK includes a 20% VAT in prices.... So you're not paying that much more, if the US price was increased by 20 percent to include the British VAT.

Never compare US prices directly to countries that include tax (and varying amounts of tax) in prices...

I think it will sell well.

One kid is going to buy and take it to school to play minecraft multiplayer with a friend, then every kid will buy one.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
OP writes all this as though Nintendo had no choice but to build a hybrid.

We know why the battery life is short and the processor is down clocked. It's because they chose to build a fucking hybrid. Nobody put a gun to thier heads - it was thier call.

All these limitations are the direct result of that choice and they are limitations that could have been anticipated well in advance.

They went ahead anyway, because for some reason they decided the most important function for a home console in 2017 is that you can pick it up and take it away with you for short periods of time.

It's that fucking ridiculous and that's why people are calling it out.

pulsemyne

Ah thanks for the title change mods.

By the way the definition of a myth can be "a widely held but false belief or idea". Hence the old "shatter a few myths" (which was also another reference to Brasseye for those fans out there).
I must say I didn't quite expect neogaf to be so...annoyed by my post. Still if anyone would care to rebut the things I said then go right ahead. But please do with facts. Let's make something worth while out of this thread.
Now I do except that Nintendo have done a poor job trying to sell people on the machine. Last nights conference was...well a bit shit to be honest.
Yet the machine is as good as it could be for what it's trying to do. It is, of course, up to you dear reader to come to the conclusion if it's what you want.
However if you disagree with me then
200_s.gif

Only joking.

Ashe Nei

You are kinda rebutting a straw man here. People are comparing the system's power to PS4 and XBO. From a technical standpoint that is and always has been unreasonable, but people got hyped by unrealistic performance rumours nonetheless. The fact that Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a home console and selling it for the price of a PS4/XBO makes it even harder to avoid the natural urge to compare its power to these systems and not to other tablets or past handhelds.

I agree, for a mobile device the hardware is quite nice. For Nintendos next home console it's yet another system that is not powerful enough to run most major "AAA" game releases.

That's the thing with the direction that Nintendo took with the Switch.

As a portable/handheld device it may be good (pretty good even), but the battery, charging time and size kinda restrict that notion, and as a home console it's simply underwhelming compared with what the competition has to offer (in terms of tech and price) because with that size, portability concept and battery, Nintendo couldn't allow to put something more juicy and see the battery run out, the device catching fire or be a lot more thicker/bigger without putting in danger the portability of the Switch so...we ended up with Nintendo Switch.

The main (and only atm) attraction of the Nintendo Switch is that is (supposedly) the only device where Nintendo will release their games in the next 5/6 years. Cleary a major boon for me, but the concept itself (being a console/handheld/hybrid with lots of control options) is more a burden than anything else.

Fisty

Ah thanks for the title change mods.

By the way the definition of a myth can be "a widely held but false belief or idea". Hence the old "shatter a few myths" (which was also another reference to Brasseye for those fans out there).
I must say I didn't quite expect neogaf to be so...annoyed by my post. Still if anyone would care to rebut the things I said then go right ahead. But please do with facts. Let's make something worth while out of this thread.
Now I do except that Nintendo have done a poor job trying to sell people on the machine. Last nights conference was...well a bit shit to be honest.
Yet the machine is as good as it could be for what it's trying to do. It is, of course, up to you dear reader to come to the conclusion if it's what you want.
However if you disagree with me then
200_s.gif

Only joking.

"It's as good as it could be for what it's trying to do"

Well maybe they shouldn't have tried it if it was going to be this confusing and disappointing

Caelus

OP writes all this as though Nintendo had no choice but to build a hybrid.

Yeah, pretty much.

I have no doubts this is a very impressive 2-in-1 device, but they had to make a lot of compromises to make it 2-in-1 in the first place. Again, they could've made dedicated home and portable consoles that share the same games and OS but render at different assets, make the home console beefier and the handheld more portable, and charge the appropriate price.

Ultimadrago

Oh boy, I can expect a lot of "Leave Nintendo Alone!" threads, can't I?

I'm reading a lot of excuses making it convenient for Nintendo to make poor design decisions on their new home console, honestly. It's ever grating, but it's my fault for reading them!

JP

I'm beginning to think that this thread is a new Chris Morris internet series where he goes around humourously busting myths online while pretending he has no idea what the hell he's doing.

Dramatic.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I'm a lovely man with a terrific sense of humour
latest

And I really am so very truly sorry for this topic.

I appreciate the Brass Eye references, Pulsemyne! You're not wrong in what you've said. What they've done is probably no better than we could have expected. The real question is why they took this approach...

sk3tch

5. Wow it's not very powerful is it!
For a mobile device it is. In fact it's very powerful. More powerful than the WiiU or any of the previous generations machines while drinking a fraction of the electricity. The tegra X1 in the machine is pretty much the best there is in the mobile market and there's nothing out there at the moment or even for the next few years that'll beat it. Nvidia really made a good chip.

C'mon man. THE NEXT FEW YEARS nothing will beat it??? Haha. Try within this year. Technology moves fast, my friend.

KAL2006

Banned
I agree with alot of stuff the OP is saying. But I think Nintendo should have took a hit on UK price to simply match the RRP price for PS4 in the UK. Nintendo has matched the RRP PS4 price in the US. Switch should have at the least been £250.

The main issue for me is charging for online without adding value. The 1 NES SNES VC rental scheme is a joke. If they can't justify charging for online then they should not charge. I expect at least 2 free games a month and not a month rental, but free as long as you have a online sub, and not restricted to just the same old NES or SNES games but new indie and newer gen VC games like GameCube and Wii.

The other issue is the lack of games. The launch lineup is terrible. And the year 1 line up isn't too hot either. Yes PS4 year 1 wasn't good. But that was coming off a amazing PS3 year prior. The Wii U has been dead for ages and it was time for Nintnedo to prove themselves.

Instro

K now do ones for the pro controller lacking analog triggers and a headphone port, the fucked up online situation, the lineup, the accessory pricing, etc.

Top Bottom