• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pure Chess |OT| Are you a Grandmaster in the making?

Exile20

purechessgamepic-2.jpg

Game Overview

Chess like you're never seen it before! Beautiful HD pieces! 3 Tournaments to test your tactics. Download Pure Chess® to experience chess the way it's meant to be played, in stunning high definition. Experience one of the oldest known boardgames on the advanced technology of today. With ultra-realistic FULL HD visuals you can almost reach out and touch the pieces. Pure Chess® is a game that can be played by everyone, at any age, but mastered by only a few.
 The question is... Are you a Grandmaster in the making?

Release Date: Mar 20th, 2014
No. of Players: 2 players alternating
Publisher: Ripstone
Developer: VooFoo Studios
Systems: Wii U and 3DS eShop
Cost: £4.99 / €5.99 / $7.99

Full Game Features

• The ultimate multiplayer experience: Play cross-platform on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android devices.
  • Play against your friends or anyone in the leaderboards worldwide
  • Staunton, Checker and Williams chess sets created with stunning detail and precision
  • Museum, Penthouse, and Library locations beautifully portrayed
  • Easter Island, Battalion, Forest, Roman, Park and Halloween game packs available
  • FULL HD 1080p
  • Track your ELO and Tournament ratings in the ranking boards
  • Comprehensive tutorial that teaches you basic, intermediate, and advanced chess techniques
  • 3 Tournaments to test your tactics
  • 100 Bonus chess puzzles to ponder over

DLC

Two types of DLC exist in the game. The individual chess sets — which can be played in any of the locations — and the somewhat grander (not to mention slightly more expensive) Chess game packs. These come with new pieces and a new environment to play in. The standard version of the game will come with three chess sets and three locations.

Individual chess sets cost €1.19 / £0.99 / $1.65 each, and are as follows:
Halloween Chess Set
Easter Island Chess Set
Battalion Chess Set

Chess game packs cost a little more at €1.99 / £1.59 / $2.69 each, and are as follows:
Roman Game Pack (Roman themed chess set & Roman-inspired environment)
Park Game Pack (Park animals themed chess set & leafy park environment)
Forest Game Pack (Isle of Lewis chess set & calm forest environment)

Wii U Screenshots

3DS Screenshots

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dutmwZytg00

Got on PS3/Vita, great game but the lack of cross play between those versions was a big oversight.

Nice to see that this version doesn't suffer the same fate.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a nice thing that it has cross-play. I haven't play chess in ages, maybe it's time to try again.

V_Ben

Banned
Crikey, glad they're getting them out. When I last played both versions they were both solid. Good stuff.

Bishops are over powered, hope they release a patch to nerf that and the horse.

:p

Seriously though, this game looks really nice! Not a big chess fan but might be nice in terms of online if it remains active.

Are the PS3 versions still active?

Exile20

Any word on overall content would be appreciated. Looking at this, I was a bit bummed out by the feature set.

I read your post and do you really need a mouse to play?
The 3DS version has a 2d board and I am willing to bet the gamepad will have one as well.
Story mode would be great but isn't multiplayer where the meat is? especially with the userbase of mobile.

daydream

Banned
The 3DS version has a 2d board and I am willing to bet the gamepad will have one as well.
Story mode would be great but isn't multiplayer where the meat is? especially with the userbase of mobile.

Not necessarily. What I meant by that is that I can get multiplayer on the countless chess sites out there - and I do, so I'm used to the mouse for time scrambles, there's always someone of my strength to play against, lots of customisation options, etc.

That's why I would like to see a chess game differentiate itself by offering a meaty singleplayer (like I outlined in my post). Games like Chessmaster on the DS or Virtual Kasparov tried exactly that, even though they were rather limited by their hardware.

sakipon

I really like the idea of having that simple 2D view on the other screen. Hopefully the Wii U version will indeed do that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
That's a known variant (unless you took it in some crazy direction), I played it all the time as a kid .

It is? Shit, I thought I was being original. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess I did take it in some crazy direction in comparison. Or at the very least I'd imagine it's very different to the variant you played.

Just googled Dice Chess. Yeah it's safe to say I did take it in a crazy direction. Not the same thing at all.

hat_hair

I can't choose between the 3DS and WiiU versions. I'll probably plump for the 3DS one, though, especially if it has a hot-seat mode.

To win, you give away all your pieces. As in checkers, you have to capture if you have one available.

It is? Shit, I thought I was being original. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess I did take it in some crazy direction in comparison. Or at the very least I'd imagine it's very different to the variant you played.

Just googled Dice Chess. Yeah it's safe to say I did take it in a crazy direction. Not the same thing at all.

No no. I meant this:

if you kill a piece, your piece dies too.

Probably a better term for it

Jucksalbe

Banned
I will get the WiiU version, sometime later at least, definitely not at launch. I already own the PS3 version, but a proper online mode is a good reason to pick up the WiiU version, too.

Exile20

Not necessarily. What I meant by that is that I can get multiplayer on the countless chess sites out there - and I do, so I'm used to the mouse for time scrambles, there's always someone of my strength to play against, lots of customisation options, etc.

That's why I would like to see a chess game differentiate itself by offering a meaty singleplayer (like I outlined in my post). Games like Chessmaster on the DS or Virtual Kasparov tried exactly that, even though they were rather limited by their hardware.

I think using the gamepad and stylus might be just as quick as a mouse.

I do understand your point about differentiation from all the other countless Chess games.

joesiv

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see more screens from it. It has a great DOF effect (with aperture shape) and some very nice shaders!

Taker666

The 3D in this looks great on the 3DS ..really solid with great depth (makes me wish someone had made a holographic Star Wars chess game for the 3DS).

Exile20

The 3D in this looks great on the 3DS ..really solid with great depth (makes me wish someone had made a holographic Star Wars chess game for the 3DS).

I am at work but how is the multiplayer, is it easy? can you tell who is Wii U, IOS and android?

I make a post about the interview.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787979

Exile20

Does this game have a teacher mode for those that don't know how to play chess? I have played before but it was about 10 years ago don't remember much. Thinking of downloading this today. Got to support my indies on the WiiU.

This is one of the features in the OT

Comprehensive tutorial that teaches you basic, intermediate, and advanced chess techniques

I am definitely buying it.

Just finished downloading and having my first match against CPU.

First impression is that it def. looks and sounds great.

Feels like there's some micro-stuttering during "cinematic" view (also noticed it in the latest video from NintendoLife) but it's too early to tell if it's random, board/pieces/enviroment-dependant, etc

Edit: Also kinda confused with the "Screen Size" setting in options, which max size doesn't fill whole screen but actual game is still full-screen!? (console set @ 1080p) Can anyone with the game confirm?

1st screen:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_0170ksp.jpg

Exile20

Just finished downloading and having my first match against CPU.

First impression is that it def. looks and sounds great.

Feels like there's some micro-stuttering during "cinematic" view (also noticed it in the latest video from NintendoLife) but it's too early to tell if it's random, board/pieces/enviroment-dependant, etc

A screen:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_0170ksp.jpg

Would love to hear from you after your first multiplayer game.

Can you tell who is on what platform? Is it simple to get in on a multiplayer game, etc

Can you tell who is on what platform? Is it simple to get in on a multiplayer game, etc

Will check a bit later and get back at you on that one man.

Btw really loving the Gamepad 2D-TV 3D setup they're using.

TV:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_014fkqz.jpg

Gamepad:
wiiu_screenshot_gamep08jun.jpg

Pociask

Any impressions on the tutorials? Are we talking simple descriptions of concepts like en passant, or in depth tutorials on various openings?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I downloaded and played one game against the computer. I haven't played chess in ages. I like the combination of having the 2d table on the gamepad and the 3d view on the screen. The music is also nice. These were £5 well spent (especially being DDP savings), I enjoy it. Next to try a multiplayer game. Well, not really next, I have to play more against the computer (although I won the first game) to get in shape. Until then, here are some screenshots:

Library environment, marble pieces:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01tls0j.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_010wsml.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01nokzg.jpg

Gamepad view:

wiiu_screenshot_gamep28ssa.jpg

Penthouse environment, wood pieces:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01g1knz.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mhk3e.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01lxk6k.jpg

Gamepad view:

wiiu_screenshot_gamep04k0y.jpg

Tried going online but getting an endless "Please wait...." loop right after creating an account.

Maybe servers not ready? Anyways will try again later.

Any impressions on the tutorials? Are we talking simple descriptions of concepts like en passant, or in depth tutorials on various openings?

Doesn't look too in-depth (if you are already into chess-I'm not) I guess.

Here's a screen of the more "advanced" lessons.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepw6bij.jpg

Top Bottom