• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pure Chess |OT| Are you a Grandmaster in the making?

Is this worth buying for the lessons?
Do they teach advanced strategies and not just what each piece does?

If you know the basics of chess it teaches you the intermediate also, which I didn't know.

I got something from the second half of tutorials but they are basic introductions to more complex topics.

I didn't know you could "castle" (moving both your rook/castle and king) on either side thought it was just king side.

The lessons teach the basics of expert level and refer you to the fact that there are many books on opening strategy and such.

The challenges may teach you more (yet to play). and depending on sales this could be a grower with regards DLC and features as is traditional with App games.

jVn2kRm0yFYfi.jpg

jNYE3HVkyu0id.jpg

tsab

Looks awesome,and haven't played chess for so very long. Is there a gaf chess group or something for this game?

Will download it once I get home later

Exile20

Tried going online but getting an endless "Please wait...." loop right after creating an account.

Maybe servers not ready? Anyways will try again later.

Doesn't look too in-depth (if you are already into chess-I'm not) I guess.

Here's a screen of the more "advanced" lessons.

Thanks for checking for me

Looks awesome,and haven't played chess for so very long. Is there a gaf chess group or something for this game?

Will download it once I get home later

I hope there is a friend system.

I hope there is a friend system.

To play online you have to make a pure chess account linked to an email address.

you can play against Wii U players as your friends appear on your Wii U

For cross platform you have to type in their pure chess user name.
Which is understandable.

or choose auto challenge or recent opponents

i5QlxE7gKheop.jpg

The Wii U can only output 720p?

This game should be 1080p

Edit: Got my answer.

I think it's a limitation of the screenshot uploader. I'm testing 1080p games and all I get is 720p images.

when I load up my TV its says the game is 1080p (my tv feeds back the resolution it's outputting at) but so do all Nintendo games even thought they are upscaled 720p.

The only thing I find wrong this graphically is that the frame rate is around 20fps constant and seems sluggish.

But chess isn't a game to sit back and enjoy the graphics. it's meant to challenge your mind so much that the graphics don't matter.

Or at least that's what I'm finding trying to beat the AI level "monkey".

Robin64

Ugh, man, chess is so bullshit. This game ended as a "stalemate". Bullshit. I can erase the white side from EXISTENCE. But noooo, stalemate crap.

wiiu_screenshot_gamephiu3c.jpg

Pociask

Ugh, man, chess is so bullshit. This game ended as a "stalemate". Bullshit. I can erase the white side from EXISTENCE. But noooo, stalemate crap.

wiiu_screenshot_gamephiu3c.jpg

Playing for stalemate is the original quitting a match you're about to lose.

Thanks to the poster above for answering my question about the tutorials!

I DL'd the demo on my PS3 a few days ago and it looks very slick.

Can anyone tell me if it has good learning/tutorials for kids... say a 6 or 7 year old?

Robin64

Online play is being horrendously slow right now. I hope it's just because this has proven rather popular and not because the servers are always terrible.

Exile20

Online play is being horrendously slow right now. I hope it's just because this has proven rather popular and not because the servers are always terrible.

Thanks disappointing to hear.

Do they label who is on what platform? Can you chat with the person? I doubt voice chat is in.

Robin64

Thanks disappointing to hear.

Do they label who is on what platform? Can you chat with the person? I doubt voice chat is in.

It doesn't label what platform they are on, no. I'm guessing it's partly because you can take your moves on any platform, regardless of which you began the match on.

There's also no chat, not even a simple message when you send a move.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Omg I need to pay more attention to the Wiiu's eshop, this is so bought once I get home

The first turn based strategy game ever on Wiiu andd it looks bloody brilliant to boot

jholmes

Online was really slow when I played this earlier today, but my bigger issue is not only is this a whole dollar more in Canada, but the DLC doesn't seem available. I can't understand the first part, sorta -- it's definitely frustrating anyhow -- but the DLC issue is really odd to me. Any Canadians with the game having the same issue?

Ninja Dom

Yes I'll get this game later today.

Incidentally, Pure Chess is a free download on iOS with in app purchases - or a complete game unlock for £7.99

This is the first game where I have access to all versions of the game (iOS/3DS/Wii U/Vita/PS3). I'll get it on Wii U. 1080p graphics and Gamepad with stylus.

Exile20

Yes I'll get this game later today.

Incidentally, Pure Chess is a free download on iOS with in app purchases - or a complete game unlock for £7.99

This is the first game where I have access to all versions of the game (iOS/3DS/Wii U/Vita/PS3). I'll get it on Wii U. 1080p graphics and Gamepad with stylus.

All pieces on the mobile version is locked under inapp purchases. The Wii U version has more.

sakipon

This needs a Mario or Sonic Chess set badly!!!

A row of toads as pawns?

Would be great though. We should have a Nintendo pinball app by Zen and now these chess sets. If you think about it, these games also happen to be more family friendly than for example Tekken Tag Tournament that did get to refer the IP.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Love chess, but I'm going to stick to my phone for my fix. I imagine its perfect for the novice, but the pool of really good players is probably way to small.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Love chess, but I'm going to stick to my phone for my fix. I imagine its perfect for the novice, but the pool of really good players is probably way to small.

I assume you are talking about a different chess game that you have, as this has cross-play with phones and tablets. (at list when it will work - I'm not at home so I didn't check if the online works now)

Exile20

But the Wii U, 3ds, IOS and Android all play together in cross multiplayer so how can the player pool be small?

Has the online been fixed or any acknowledgement that it's not very good?

I have the game on ipad and the online seems pretty spotty, is it different on the 3ds or Wii U? I'm thinking of getting the 3ds version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I was thinking of picking this up now, is the online mode still a mess? Already have the PS3 version, so the only new things I'd care about are the online mode and Off-TV.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there no way to analyze a finished online match (or probably a match in general)? That would seem like a basic feature to have.

Anyway, this time I was able to get a few online matches going for a while. With five concurrent one, you're at least busy most of the time and not constantly waiting for the next move.
Before that I had to "Declare Win" on several matches because noone wanted to make a move. It's kinda dumb that you can't get a notification outside the game if someone makes a move while you're not playing.

Sylver

Banned
Downloaded this weekend because it was free on european ps store I think because a new Sony mistake both PS3 and Vita version.
Nice.

Top Bottom