• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putty Squad (PS4, PS3, Vita) getting a retail release in America next month

tdD7jF8.jpg

So it looks like Maximum Games have picked up System 3's Putty Squad remake for an American release. This was a launch title for the PS4 in PAL regions.

Seemingly it's due out February 25 (or the 28th, going by Gamefly), and that's for the PS4, PS3 and Vita. Meanwhile Amazon only lists it for PS3 ($20). But the interesting thing is... Putty Squad still hasn't come out for Vita or PS3 in Europe, and I have my doubts those versions will ever be released there anymore. System 3 is pretty shit at doing anything, you see.

It'd kinda be nice to see this get released on Vita at all, anywhere. I mean, it was originally supposed to be a Vita-exclusive launch title for the system in 2012. I still have this photo I took in EB Games a few weeks before the Vita launched in Australia. =x

Also I think the 3DS, 360 and PC versions System 3 had planned are looooong dead at this point. There was also going to be a Wii U version, but that was officially canned (as in, System 3 just removed all mention of it from their site) months ago.

Gameplay footage
Aaand some more

TL;DR: Maybe there should be a question mark in the thread title.

Wasn't this once planned as a Vita launch title?

Edit: Should've read the op first. Yes it was.
What were they doing for the last two years?

Beaulieu

im looking at the gameplay video and I dont understand what the game is about.
also the guy playing sucks hard.

Game isn't that great. For a downloadable title I can see 10-15 USD. But it was released in the UK for £19.99 [$33 USD] (Physical) and £15.99 [$26.39 USD] (Digital).

Price is way too damned high for what this game is. Also there is some conspiracy surrounding this game.

And lastly the platinum is glitched and is currently unobtainable. It is apparently due to some planned DLC that may or may not ultimately be released.

Rich!

Funfact. This was supposed to be an Amiga game. Ended up being released for the system in 2013. Yeah...

Regardless of that, it came out on the SNES (PAL only). I have a copy.

So technically it came out almost two decades ago.

Edit: wait, has the Amiga version been released? Or are you talking specifically about the PS4 ver?

KoopaTheCasual

Game isn't that great. For a downloadable title I can see 10-15 USD. But it was released in the UK for £19.99 [$33 USD] (Physical) and £15.99 [$26.39 USD] (Digital).

Price is way too damned high for what this game is. Also there is some conspiracy surrounding this game.

And lastly the platinum is glitched and is currently unobtainable. It is apparently due to some planned DLC that may or may not ultimately be released.
lolwut. Please do tell. Everything about this game is downright strange. I want to hear this.

lolwut. Please do tell. Everything about this game is downright strange. I want to hear this.

Well it goes that the game never actually came out on Amiga, except for in a demo version. Suspiciously enough most people raving about the game praise the Amiga version.

Here is a link to the GAF thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723841

And a direct link to the tumblr account that details the "conspiracy"

http://citizen-cube.tumblr.com/post...squad-conspiracy-or-how-i-learned-to-love-the

From my personally recollection, I recall some version of this being on the SNES. I don't recall an Amiga version as I didn't exist during it's existence.

Upon further review I did exist but did not have am Amiga and was too young to actually play one.
And for clarification I have this on PS4. Check the trophies!

explodet

If we're releasing SNES games onto the PS4, can we convince Capcom to re-release Demon's Crest? That game was awesome.

Pros: It has a full colour manual in the UK, I don't know if this will carry but it was nice to see.

Cons: Ugh. UUUUGGHHHHHHH. It's not very good.

Camjo-Z

Cool, sounds neat. I'll just take a look at one of these gameplay vid-

*watches*

This... I... um... wat

less is more, kids, less is more

hawk2025

The legend of this game has now transferred over to its unobtainable platinum trophy. (I have the physical UK release)

I think it's absolutely hilarious that this happened :)

Takao

Banned
IT'S HAPPENING.GIF

Putty Squad for PS4 Hits Shelves at $29.99 this Spring

Maximum Games brings back classic platformer with reimagined graphics and gameplay at lowest PS4 price point

The ballistic blue blob is back in the reinvented Putty Squad for PlayStation® 4, PlayStation® 3, and PlayStation® Vita. Due in stores on March 11, 2014, the retro title reemerges 20 years after its original release at an unprecedented PS4™ price point of $29.99.

Adored for its indie-style, addictive gameplay, Putty Squad returns to stretch, morph, and squish its way into the hearts of a new generation. The game, which had originally been developed for the Amiga 1200 in the early 90s, gained a cult following when Commodore’s 1994 bankruptcy halted the release of the game. The title subsequently became a hit on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), though hardcore Amiga fans pined for its rerelease for years.

Now, with a new tutorial mode, extensive World Progression Map, online leaderboards, brand new time trial challenges and more, the title offers a significant value at just $29.99 for PS4™. The game boasts over 50 levels, which are equally entertaining for adults and kids.

“Putty Squad will have parents battling their kids for console time,” jokes Len Ciciretto, president of Maximum Games, publishers of Putty Squad. “Once you start, it’s hard to pull away.”

The story revolves around the stretching, flattening, and inflating main character, Putty, who has been tasked with the challenge of rescuing his fellow imprisoned putties, all the while being inundated with a slew of enemy attacks in the form of “Terminator” carrots and sword-wielding spacemen.

“Its wackiness is a huge part of the game’s charm, and it’s what the best games are made of – creativity. It’s why two plumbers traveling through pipes to rescue a princess in a mushroom kingdom makes sense,” said Maximum Games CEO, Christina Seelye.

“The return of Putty Squad has been a long time coming,” said John Twiddy, Head of Development at System 3, creators of the game. “Fans and newcomers to the game will equally appreciate the redrawn imagery, new features, and challenging gameplay.”

Indeed, Putty Squad has undergone a complete graphical overhaul, and is revamped to appeal to retro-seekers as well as the modern gamer. Bonus additions include a Sticker Book that allows players to collect and find hidden stickers throughout levels, star ratings, trophies, and unlockables.

“It’s wonderful to see this cult classic come back to the modern age,” said Mark Cale, CEO of System 3. “For those who weren’t around in the time of the Amiga or SNES, now Putty Squad is made accessible for a new era of gamers.”

Putty Squad is available for $29.99 March 11, 2014 on PS4™, PS3™ and PS Vita™, and has received a rating of E10+ by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.maximumgames.com

http://www.maximumgames.com/news/putty-squad-for-ps4-hits-shelves-at-29-99-this-spring/

meppi

Well it goes that the game never actually came out on Amiga, except for in a demo version. Suspiciously enough most people raving about the game praise the Amiga version.

Here is a link to the GAF thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723841

And a direct link to the tumblr account that details the "conspiracy"

http://citizen-cube.tumblr.com/post...squad-conspiracy-or-how-i-learned-to-love-the

From my personally recollection, I recall some version of this being on the SNES. I don't recall an Amiga version as I didn't exist during it's existence.

Upon further review I did exist but did not have am Amiga and was too young to actually play one.
And for clarification I have this on PS4. Check the trophies!
Most people are probably thinking of just Putty for the Amiga, which certainly came out before the SNES sequel.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This game seems super shady, but I dont know why
Perhaps because you can't tell what kind of game it is from looking at the screenshots. What an odd move to release this at retail. Maybe it'll move like 500k units, hehe.

My missus actually bought Putty Squad on the PS4 for our 3 year old so he would have something to play on it. I had never heard of it before, I just figured it was an iPhone game that had been ported to consoles like Angry Birds or something.

meppi

Thing is, the devs very much did pretend for years it had actually come out and been a huge success.

Well, it did come out back in the day. Only thing is that it was just on the SNES, not the Mega Drive and Amiga as intended.

Soooo hey! This came out today in America. Can anyone confirm that the PS3 and Vita versions actually exist, or is it another Euro situation again?

Both Amazon and Play-Asia are listing those two versions as instantly out of stock, which seems a bit suspect.

I just want to buy it on SEN for Vita.

Speaking of Amiga, how is the Alien Breed remake for Vita?

Ps it is so annoying to read all the lame vita snark whenever it gets a thread on GAF outside of the general PSN thread it's discussion is relegated to.

Top Bottom