• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putty Squad (PS4, PS3, Vita) getting a retail release in America next month

Okay, so the PS4 version is definitely out now in America. Retail only for now. Or maybe forever.

But the Vita and PS3 versions once again still aren't real. New release date for those two is the 28th according to Gamestop. This is amazing. Watch it continue to get delayed over and over just like Europe.

MEANWHILE now Amazon has a listing for the once cancelled 3DS version, apparently due out in May.

This fucking game, I swear.

GoaThief

Well, it did come out back in the day. Only thing is that it was just on the SNES, not the Mega Drive and Amiga as intended.
It most certainly came out on the Amiga, called Silly Putty and I have a copy in an attic somewhere.

The Amiga version came out way before the SNES too. Perhaps it was a butchered NA release? I'm in Europe.

Noticed this on the EU PSN store ages back and was pretty stoked to see one of my old favourites coming back from the dead.

GoaThief

Just did a quick Google, Silly Putty was the original from 1992 and Putty Squad the sequel from 94... Guess that's the one that did not arrive on Amiga - I don't believe the original was on the SNES so that probably explains why it's obscure to the Commodorephobic market across the pond.

:p

Takao

Banned
Okay, so the PS4 version is definitely out now in America. Retail only for now. Or maybe forever.

But the Vita and PS3 versions once again still aren't real. New release date for those two is the 28th according to Gamestop. This is amazing. Watch it continue to get delayed over and over just like Europe.

MEANWHILE now Amazon has a listing for the once cancelled 3DS version, apparently due out in May.

This fucking game, I swear.

It's crazy that this would be retail only in 2014.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wat

puttyt10.png

pic by NinjamicWZ

ReaperXL7

I really hope no one is excited for this, these guys are just hardcore trolling people at this point. In my opinion the whole thing is a scam.

Just to let people know that the 3DS version is still being released.

I am browsing the UK 3DS eshop now and it is advertised as a new release for 17th april.

Will cost £17.99

Sondar

It's now up for purchase on the Playstation Euro store for £19.99. My physical pre-order however has now slipped to 7 May.

Tapejara

Whoooooa, Gamestop seemingly has the Vita version of Putty Squad in-stock now! http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/putty-squad/113854

fNu6ECL.png

Thanks to Sondar for spotting this!

I've been tempted to grab the digital Vita version that went up on EU PSN last week, but I'd still reeeaaally prefer holding out for a physical copy at this point.

Thanks for the heads up. Been playing it on PS4 but want to grab the Vita version cause Vita.

Sondar

Wonder why it's not listed on Amazon.com? Gamestop exclusive? VG+ is showing an August release date, Tronixweb next week, & in the UK, anything from next week, May or 'who the heck knows'.

This game (or a prequel?) came packed in with my Amiga 600 over 20 years ago.
I kinda hated it due to it's difficulty (I was 11) but have a strange urge to play it again for nostalgic value.

prudislav

i○ve even seen some online shops selling supposedly cancelled PC version with May 2014 date.
Probably just timed Sony exclusive

It's one of those games where it's hard to really describe why it's bad. It's just the whole thing feels like a chore to play. It's not overly engaging. Everytime I see it on my shelf I think "I spent money on this, this money could have been used for good in the world."

It's one of those games where it's hard to really describe why it's bad. It's just the whole thing feels like a chore to play. It's not overly engaging. Everytime I see it on my shelf I think "I spent money on this, this money could have been used for good in the world."

Did you play the original..?

I couldn't get past the tutorial. I really tried to. I literally don't know why this game exists (especially in retail form), and I'm not saying that to be mean to the developers. I just don't get it.

My local Best Buy has the PS4 versions in the store...I kind of have half a mind to buy one just because I feel it is more on the Rare side lol.

Edit: PS4 version is definitely out, I had it in my hand yesterday at Best Buy. It was $30, there was 5 copies there.

Sondar

Just had an email from the UK company I ordered Putty Squad from. I thought it was going to be a "it's been dispatched" email. Instead it's a "the new release date is 31 December" email...

Xander51

Watching the Giant Bomb video of this clued me in to its existence, and it actually looked...kinda fun? This thread is amazing, also wow, I can't believe the Vita version is real!

i don't know about anyone else, but idgaf this game is kinda fun. the control scheme took a minute to acclimate to at first, but there's something i really like about it

it's definitely a european amiga platformer in design, and dated as hell, but it also kinda makes me nostalgic for the SNES/Genesis mascot games i always looked back at as terrible, ie: Awesome Possum

i can see how someone would have rated the original like a 7 or so, decent rental, back in the day. since i collect vita games, i dig just having this thing, too.

Tapejara

i don't know about anyone else, but idgaf this game is kinda fun. the control scheme took a minute to acclimate to at first, but there's something i really like about it

it's definitely a european amiga platformer in design, and dated as hell, but it also kinda makes me nostalgic for the SNES/Genesis mascot games i always looked back at as terrible, ie: Awesome Possum

i can see how someone would have rated the original like a 7 or so, decent rental, back in the day. since i collect vita games, i dig just having this thing, too.

I know I just made a comment about keeping my sanity while playing the game, but I will admit by the end of the game I was pretty happy with my purchase. The game's art is very distinct and the overall game has a certain charm to it. Not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly memorable.

Freeman

Banned
Looks absurdly cheap, if the game is as bad as the art I must ask how does something like this get a physical release.

2014-024.jpg

i can't believe this thing actually showed up, wow

Oh my!

I just ordered a copy from VGP. Worked out at around $36 AUD shipped which is pretty good. Probably take about three weeks to get here, but exciiiiite.

Somehow I platinumed thePS4 version and came away with my sanity intact. Just buying the Vita version as a possible collector's item.

Yeah, I think this'll easily become one of the most obscure/rare physical Vita games in the system's lifespan. Especially as the European version seems to have slipped back into limbo.

Tapejara

How long did it take to Plat?

Eh, not long. The more difficult trophies are really just for completing the sticker book pages. Requires you to complete seven challenges for certain levels; but that's made easy because you don't need to complete all the challenges in one go and the option to float makes maneuvering much easier. The game isn't too long either. If I had to guess, I'd say it took me ten hours max.

Top Bottom