• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putty Squad (PS4, PS3, Vita) getting a retail release in America next month

AaaAAAAAAAAAA it's arrived! Took less than two weeks from Canada, I'm impressed.

iWUSQ4z.jpg

Carnby

I'm reading your guys comments, and I'm getting the impression that this game is rare or is having a limited pressing. Is that correct?

Now oddly it's just the PS3 version left in limbo.

Okay, so an update to the timeline of this game's existence.

2010 (... 2009?)
- Putty Squad remake is announced for PSP and mobile. That's all we got - the initial announcement. No screens, nothing. As time passes, the project is eventually assumed dead like System 3's other cancelled reboots California Games and The Last Ninja (both of which were going to hit Wii, DS and PSP).

- Putty Squad is announced again, 'confirmed' as a Vita launch game in Europe and Australia. Retailers put pre-order box art on store shelves.
- Game misses launch date. Various new release dates pop up throughout the year, but all were bogus. System 3 just goes completely silent.

- System 3 rolls out of bed one morning, gets excited. "Putty Squad is still happening you guys, why have I got Corn Flakes up my noooseee" Talks about all the features it'll have on Vita.
- Months pass.
- Putty Squad is now announced for PC, PS3, 3DS, 360 and Wii U along with the original Vita version.
- Wii U, 360 and PC versions quickly and quietly cancelled.
- Surprisingly, the 3DS version is shown off and playable at Eurogamer Expo. Barely any outlets even bothered to play it.
- Putty Squad suddenly announced for PS4's launch in Europe. System 3's hyped at their own incompetence by this point. Finally puts out a trailer.
- Talks about pre-order bonuses that I don't think actually happened (a DLC code if you pre-ordered at GAME to unlock the Amiga game for example).
- Drama hits as System 3 are called out for using preview/review quotes of the original 1994 Amiga game which never even made it to retail.
- The PS4 version actually REALLY DOES launch in time for the system's launch.
- Is met with shoulder-shrugging reception.
- All other versions are still nowhere to be found.

- System 3 sort of responds to controversy by dumping the full Amiga game on their site as a free download. Continues to use quotes anyway.
- Maximum Games announces they'll be releasing Putty Squad in America for PS4, PS3 and Vita.
- They release the game on PS4 as promised. PS3 and Vita versions don't make it.
- Meanwhile System 3 chucks the 3DS game up on the EU eShop at random.
- System 3 then releases the Vita version on EU PSN.
- Physical copies on Vita start showing up in America and Canada.
- Physical copies on 3DS and Vita start showing up in the UK.

Maximum Games seemingly has plans to release the physical 3DS version in America mid-June.

PS3 might be dead or it might just appear out of the blue one day.

tl;dr - Nightmare's over, System 3's fucking strange.

1PxcWG1.jpg

Top Bottom