• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Yeah, you kinda have to plan and play differently compared to solo Endurance Tetris for sure. I'm still working on learning to do T-Spin setups myself for this reason haha.

It's kinda funny when I see someone playing Tetris at an ok level but he's trying T spin setups. Clearly isn't from the game boy era :p

Do you unlock anything for getting 3 stars in all the missions in Adventure mode? I'm having trouble getting 3 stars in a lot of the Puyo Puyo ones and I'd like to move past them but not if I'll miss out on something cool for getting a perfect rating.

Been having some trouble getting 3 stars on level 2-3 (score 10k while beating the opponent in Puyo Puyo). Any tips? I win before reaching 10k because the CPU sucks.
I'm stuck on this same one. I feel like the key is to get really high scoring chains early before they can make themselves lose, on but I'm not good enough to make those chains yet :p

Kinsei

Banned
The difficulty in story mode ramps up really quickly after act 3. The battle against Rulue in act 4 took me 8 minutes and it was neck and neck pretty much the entire time.

For anyone wondering, the timer in endless Tetris stops counting at 59.99.99 (one hour). I can go on forever so I'll probably lose on purpose soon. Score is still going up but it's not really worth the time. Shame Tetris has come to this but at least the game is more playable I guess. Only Tetris Company is to blame :p

VRMN

I'm stuck on this same one. I feel like the key is to get really high scoring chains early before they can make themselves lose, on but I'm not good enough to make those chains yet :p
Two separate five chains will do it if you want to put some hard numbers on that goal. An early full clear will help as well if RNGeesus cooperates.

Is the right Tetris skin available in the PS4 version?

PztqbmM.png

Are both versions 100% identical?

Two separate five chains will do it if you want to put some hard numbers on that goal. An early full clear will help as well if RNGeesus cooperates.
I think I've managed to pull off a 5 chain only once so far haha. I looked at the lessons and get the chaining setups conceptually. But I'm still having trouble setting them up in practice.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
For anyone wondering, the timer in endless Tetris stops counting at 59.99.99 (one hour). I can go on forever so I'll probably lose on purpose soon. Score is still going up but it's not really worth the time. Shame Tetris has come to this but at least the game is more playable I guess. Only Tetris Company is to blame :p
i can't even pass the 150 line mark >.>

johnyqd

Would a Pro controller be worth it for this?

I love the controller but not for this - I think using the JoyCons with the included grip works even better. The d-pad on the pro controller is very sensitive and can register unintended fast drops & I have one friend who also gets fast drops by bumping the stick (but they just need to calm down while I'm whupping them at Tetris).

fernoca

I got those skins using the cheat code that unlocks everything from Adventure Mode. So I guess that by playing Adventure Mode you unlock them. XD

Dinjoralo

I haven't seen those skins in the shop. Can anyone confirm if they're secret unlocks?

There's tons of skins, backgrounds, and BGM unlocked through the extra story chapters, which are unlocked when you beat the whole main story. I think the game boy skin is somewhere in chapter 9.

Sapiens

Hoooolly shit, lost my entire evening to this last night on the switch. What a fantastic game and it's amazing how much I'm getting destroyed online.

And everytime I'm about to win....disconnect.

Regardless, just an amazing game on the switch as a portable though. Really happy with the purchase

So I am in the 3rd chapter of adventure mode and I can't get by the Puyo Puyo chances with the preset scenarios, where doing a chain eliminates all and then you get a new scenario. Any tips?

Neoweee

So, what are the game's biggest flaws/issues?

I really like what I've played so far, but there's some substantial complaints:

1) Only a single online rating, regardless of game mode.
2) No Quick Drop in Puyo Puyo mode, but you do get it in both Tetris and Fusion? It really seems awkward.
3) Pretty egregious easy spin in Tetris?
4) Easy Spin + relatively slow max speed makes high-end solo Tetris relatively easy?

Bate

I changed my region from Germany to Canada and bought Tetris via a points card. Now I have some cents left and cannot switch back to Germany because I still have funds at the Canadian eshop. Is there a way to switch back because I will never make it to drop to zero.

Berordn

2) No Quick Drop in Puyo Puyo mode, but you do get it in both Tetris and Fusion? It really seems awkward.

Quick drop isn't a standard feature in the Tsu ruleset. You can enable it, but it's designed to keep the pace of the game more about building combos and keeping you aware of what your opponent is up to. Other Puyo modes have it as well, but Tsu versus never has.

3) Pretty egregious easy spin in Tetris?

It's there, but you can blame TTC for that. Seems to be a bit improved from Tetris Party/Axis, but it's been ages since I've played that. No infinite spin either.

4) Easy Spin + relatively slow max speed makes high-end solo Tetris relatively easy?

Thanks to the current Tetris Guidelines, solo modes are really more of an afterthought. The 7 bag randomizer and preview windows actually make infinite Marathon possible, so the focus is more on quicker time attacks and versus.

Neoweee

Quick drop isn't a standard feature in the Tsu ruleset. You can enable it, but it's designed to keep the pace of the game more about building combos and keeping you aware of what your opponent is up to. Other Puyo modes have it as well, but Tsu versus never has.

It's there, but you can blame TTC for that. Seems to be a bit improved from Tetris Party/Axis, but it's been ages since I've played that. No infinite spin either.

Thanks to the current Tetris Guidelines, solo modes are really more of an afterthought. The 7 bag randomizer and preview windows actually make infinite Marathon possible, so the focus is more on quicker time attacks and versus.

Damn, them are some good answers. Thanks! I haven't stayed up to date with the history of either series since the 90s, so it is good to know the lineage of rules and modes.

I really wish this game had a classic tetris game mode. Just a survive as long as you can it gets faster as you play traditional tetris mode.

In Solo Arcade, go to the bottom right icon (Challenge?), then go to Marathon. Before it starts, there's a screen where you can change some options and change it to Endless instead of 150 lines. This might be what you're looking for.

Berordn

Damn, them are some good answers. Thanks! I haven't stayed up to date with the history of either series since the 90s, so it is good to know the lineage of rules and modes.

The Tetris comments are definitely valid criticism though - as the game's evolved into a more refined experience it's shifted the focus far from survival to the point where Tetris on the Gameboy is basically a completely different game. The Tetris guidelines keep the old modes in the current games, but it'd serve the solo audience a little better if they introduced a true "classic" mode which brings back the original rotation system and randomizer, alongside the modern enhancements.

But that's just my $0.02, anyway. I still love modern Tetris, just for different reasons.

Jawmuncher

I can't wrap my ahead around Puyo and trying to get the 3 stars in the campaign. Either I'm always over on time, or I beat the computer before getting a high enough score.

Berordn

I can't wrap my ahead around Puyo and trying to get the 3 stars in the campaign. Either I'm always over on time, or I beat the computer before getting a high enough score.

3 Starring the Puyo matches is all about quick chaining. Even doing something as basic as a 5 chain 3-1 ladder nets enough points or sends enough garbage to keep you ahead of the game.

japtor

I thought infinite spin is still in? Well for single player at least. For multiplayer you can spin all you want but the garbage eventually comes and forces a piece in place.
On paper I should be disappointed...but considering how long games could go before I can't say I really mind the shift to timed/line modes. Endless became more about relaxing mindless time filling at a certain point for me I think, which has its own charm I guess considering I still do it now and then.

All that said I'd be down for TGM ruleset and player progression type DLC but I doubt TTC or Arika would want that.

Link_enfant

Is there any PS4 Pro improvements like 4K resolution?
Not that it's really important for this game, just wondering as I plan to go with Switch digital version.

Top Bottom