• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Beta Thread: Get Back To Your Roots

Bessy67

I'm definitely enjoying the beta more as I continue playing, but I still feel the imp needs a nerf. Specifically the impkata, they need to drastically reduce the range and/or damage on it.

James93

I'm not liking GW2 so far. Just not enjoying it as much as the first one. Anyone else hate the stupid hub world? I prefer just using simple menus like GW1 as it was just easier to jump into a quick game.

I like it but its horrible when i just want get in a match fast

jesu

I'm not liking GW2 so far. Just not enjoying it as much as the first one. Anyone else hate the stupid hub world? I prefer just using simple menus like GW1 as it was just easier to jump into a quick game.

Why not just not move away from the multiplayer portal?

nel e nel

I like it but its horrible when i just want get in a match fast

Maybe I just need to give it more time for it to grow on me.

I have no problem with the hub world. I kinda like the idea that you can just go outside the gate and kill zombies. Plus to start a match you only have to use that machine and go into the portal. It's not that bad really.

The load times are actually faster than GW1, so it's all in your head.

Now that I'm used to it, I kinda like it. I like the little touches like you see your character floating around in the vortex when finding a match.

Wait so that bit at the start is a hub world?

I went to start a game after killing a bunch of zombies, failed to connect me to the EA servers and put me back at the start... So I played something else.

Just stick with menus, keep it simple!

Mikey Jr.

This game blows.

This coming from someone who has 50 hours on the original.

There is just too much shit. I find myself dieing extremely quickly.

How do I mute everyone? I don't actually have to do the toggle for each person, right?

Yea I think you have to toggle each person. I gave up as it was becoming a real pain in the arse to get it done. There's no option for it in the audio section of the options menu either.

Saved me spending 70-80 bucks though.

This game blows.

This coming from someone who has 50 hours on the original.

There is just too much shit. I find myself dieing extremely quickly.

This game is possibly the deepest third person shooter ever made. That kind of depth takes practice/experience to master. This is from someone who has several hundred hours on the original and more than 12 hours with the beta.

Let us know what class you're having trouble against and what class you're playing most often.

web01

Sadly this no where near as fun as the original, they have added tons of features which is great but the character balance and ability balance is completely out of whack. The little zombie is ridiculously OP. Plants overall feel significantly weaker than zombies. Most base characters feel nerfed. Coming straight from playing PVZ1 this is not enjoyable.

Bessy67

Sadly this no where near as fun as the original, they have added tons of features which is great but the character balance and ability balance is completely out of whack. The little zombie is ridiculously OP. Plants overall feel significantly weaker than zombies. Most base characters feel nerfed. Coming straight from playing PVZ1 this is not enjoyable.
I don't feel that the old classes got nerfed. I'm still doing very well with the cactus, sunflower, scientist, all-star and engineer.

I'm surprised people are saying there's too much stuff going on and its hard to tell what's happening and that the imp is OP. I generally suck at shooters but I'm using the orange guy and zapping people with my lazer like there's no tomorrow.(expecially imps, they are easy to kill from a distance since they have so little health) I think I'm averaging like 20 kills a game or something lol, and its pretty easy to understand the objectives.

Although I do think the UI is too busy

Onivulk

Banned
I played about a hundred hours of the original and when I first tried this I hated it too. But after playing a few more matches I have come to realize that I love it.

One complaint though, what role does Super Brains fill? He's like a mix of the soldier and allstar but isn't as effective as either.

I want to like him.

vypek

Yea I think you have to toggle each person. I gave up as it was becoming a real pain in the arse to get it done. There's no option for it in the audio section of the options menu either.

I hope they address that really quick.Really sucks to have to mute them that way. Maybe I am just missing something.

I played about a hundred hours of the original and when I first tried this I hated it too. But after playing a few more matches I have come to realize that I love it.

One complaint though, what role does Super Brains fill? He's like a mix of the soldier and allstar but isn't as effective as either.

I want to like him.

Super Brains is my least used so far because I also have not yet found out how to properly utilize him but what I have found so far is that he seems to be good for taking out enemies individually.

If you play him like a chomper, you avoid groups of enemies and sneak up behind someone and then rush them you'll usually end up with low life at the end, meaning if you had approached several players you'd be taken out after you finish the first enemy but if you keep it to one player at a time you can retreat, heal up, and move onto the next plant.

One thing to note is that there seems to be a trick to using the spin punch that I haven't found out yet. I can tell there's a reason for it and its probably to be used as a disruptive counter but I haven't figured it out yet. That said, I've been sticking with the other moves and melee attacks when playing as him until I can figure it out.

Mikey Jr.

This game is possibly the deepest third person shooter ever made. That kind of depth takes practice/experience to master. This is from someone who has several hundred hours on the original and more than 12 hours with the beta.

Let us know what class you're having trouble against and what class you're playing most often.

There is just too much explosions or something. Or there are too many players on the map. Feels like everything is just one big cluster fuck. Bombs raining down on you constantly.

Reminds me of the map shipment from cod4. Just chaos constantly.

Also, fuck that goat shit.

And secondly, the bird is my main class. I get the most kills with it.

BKSmash

I love how positive you are. And yes, this game is amazing! Currently at 10h of the beta, and still going strong.

Cynn

There's no way they won't fix that before launch. Can't you just hop into a party alone for now and not be in the public chat channel?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

I want to like him.

Super Brains role is to intimidate the other team with his cool hadouken
cheeky.gif

bluehat9

Just played a couple games. Boy, the sound levels are terrible. Seems like I can barely hear anything that's going on (aside from annoying people on their mics).

Kas

Been playing more today, and I'm still torn about getting it.

The plants aren't all that much fun to play, and I spent a good while playing plants, and they seem much weaker than in 1.

Mob Cob is who I mainly main , but I've given them all a go while I try to get the magic cactus.

Also, fuck Impkata. Shits broken. I've died so much to that as every class I can think off.

Onivulk

Banned
After making my post about Super Brainz I unlocked a Phenomenal Character Pack and received Cosmic Brainz.

He can charge his punches to do higher damage and I think he does fill that Chomper niche now.

There is just too much explosions or something. Or there are too many players on the map. Feels like everything is just one big cluster fuck. Bombs raining down on you constantly.

The chaos you're describing can be a big turn off if people run head first into it as you would in most games. Unfortunately the "double edged sword" of having a deep meta game is that you need to understand the strengths and weakness of each class before going into battle when playing strategic game modes.

For some people that's a hassle and requires too much thought when you just want to zone out with a game, and that's okay. There are more casual game modes within the game that allow for people who are looking for that experience to also get to enjoy the game. Classic and Welcome Mat type modes are better suited for that experience.

For people like myself that enjoy the intricacies of the metagame, figuring out counters and pulling off successful pushes against well organized teams give such an immense sense of accomplishment that doesn't come with simpler games.

My suggestion is for you to try out the long range classes so you can stay out the heat of the battle, but still contribute by keeping the enemy at bay.

For plants I recommend cactus, and zombies Captain Deadbeard.

Be sure to keep moving so you don't get taken out by someone that spots you, but don't feel like you need to circle the whole map, by moving I just mean don't be stationary or else a projectile can be sent from an enemy with a 100% chance of hitting you if they line it up right and you just stand still.

If you go into the cactus flying thing mode make sure you're cactus is shielded first because your character will be vulnerable while you control the flying thing.

For Captain Deadbeard, zooming in with your weapon is for long ranged attacks and hip fire is a shotgun for close range. I have a feeling some people try to use the shotgun when intending to fire the long range which gives the false impression that the character isn't very good.

I love how positive you are. And yes, this game is amazing! Currently at 10h of the beta, and still going strong.

Thank you :D I had high expectations for the game and it's exceeded every single one. I really hope that the developers "trust their gut" and keep the balancing to a minimum and not let the negativity influence them.

I spent a lot of time playing/learning the first game and can say for sure that people who enjoyed the first will also enjoy the second as long as it remains faithful to what the beta has demonstrated.

I know its a trope of an excuse in the game industry to blame issues on the players "not getting it" but this is genuinely the first time I've ever seen that be the case.

The game is brilliantly thought out and people are just reacting negatively to having a bad experience that's unavoidable unless every single player was as capable of learning the game as quickly as the people who play competitively like myself.

Once the game is out and people have more time with it they'll get the hang of things and realize how awesome the flow of the game is when you play to its strengths and work together as a team to accomplish awesome experiences that couldn't be had in any other game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

That's how I feel as well, there's just too much going on that it detracts from what's important, the gunplay. I really didn't enjoy my time with the beta.

vypek

I'm not crazy about the map designs so far and there seem to be so many distracting effects for me. Had a few good matches though.

Not really feeling the beta (more power to those who are enjoying it, though!). It just seems like nonstop chaos wand a general lack of strategy. I think I'll be sticking with GW1. I just hope that the player base stays strong enough to support both games.

Mikey Jr.

The chaos you're describing can be a big turn off if people run head first into it as you would in most games. Unfortunately the "double edged sword" of having a deep meta game is that you need to understand the strengths and weakness of each class before going into battle when playing strategic game modes.

For some people that's a hassle and requires too much thought when you just want to zone out with a game, and that's okay. There are more casual game modes within the game that allow for people who are looking for that experience to also get to enjoy the game. Classic and Welcome Mat type modes are better suited for that experience.

For people like myself that enjoy the intricacies of the metagame, figuring out counters and pulling off successful pushes against well organized teams give such an immense sense of accomplishment that doesn't come with simpler games.

My suggestion is for you to try out the long range classes so you can stay out the heat of the battle, but still contribute by keeping the enemy at bay.

For plants I recommend cactus, and zombies Captain Deadbeard.

Be sure to keep moving so you don't get taken out by someone that spots you, but don't feel like you need to circle the whole map, by moving I just mean don't be stationary or else a projectile can be sent from an enemy with a 100% chance of hitting you if they line it up right and you just stand still.

If you go into the cactus flying thing mode make sure you're cactus is shielded first because your character will be vulnerable while you control the flying thing.

For Captain Deadbeard, zooming in with your weapon is for long ranged attacks and hip fire is a shotgun for close range. I have a feeling some people try to use the shotgun when intending to fire the long range which gives the false impression that the character isn't very good.

Thank you :D I had high expectations for the game and it's exceeded every single one. I really hope that the developers "trust their gut" and keep the balancing to a minimum and not let the negativity influence them.

I spent a lot of time playing/learning the first game and can say for sure that people who enjoyed the first will also enjoy the second as long as it remains faithful to what the beta has demonstrated.

I know its a trope of an excuse in the game industry to blame issues on the players "not getting it" but this is genuinely the first time I've ever seen that be the case.

The game is brilliantly thought out and people are just reacting negatively to having a bad experience that's unavoidable unless every single player was as capable of learning the game as quickly as the people who play competitively like myself.

Once the game is out and people have more time with it they'll get the hang of things and realize how awesome the flow of the game is when you play to its strengths and work together as a team to accomplish awesome experiences that couldn't be had in any other game.

Love the feedback.

But for me, I put a lot of time into GW1. Its not like I am coming into this franchise brand new. I know how it plays, I know all the classes, the maps, the strengths, weaknesses, etc.

This game does not feel like garden warfare to me. It just doesn't.

There is something about this game that is just not clicking. I am constantly saying to myself "this is bullshit". I am going to play some more, but so far I hate things like

-Too many explosions. In GW1, only 1 or 2 classes had any sort of missile projectile. That was the foot soldier with the zpg and...I think thats it. Now?
Kernal has a missile. Mech has missiles. Deadbeard has missiles. Brainz has missiles.

Not only that, there are more aerial missiles as well. Deadbeard has an aerial with this (super fucking op) parrot. And corn has it now too.

Explosions are consistently going off. It honestly feels like chaos. I never feel that 1v1 against someone else. Its like 1 versus some random shit thats happening to me.

You do what now? You play PvZ competitively? What does that remark even mean? What do you play competitively, and what relevance does that have here?

You seem to be attempting to degrade the value peoples opinions because your suggesting they're 'bad at the game', or in this case, your suggesting they're bad at learning, a suggestion that's baseless and unfounded.

Why must everyone that has a criticism with this games balance be wrong? The original PVZ certainly wasn't balanced by any stretch of the imagination, especially not with all the sub-classes. I'm not saying it wasn't enjoyable in spite of any balance problems, but there were plenty of sub-classes with greater efficacy than their counterparts (e.g. berry shooter, citrus cactus and general supremo were pretty bad relative to their counterparts in the previous games). So it isn't as if we're going into a game from a developer with a pedigree for flawless multiplayer balancing.

You really seem to hold this game on a pedestal, that it does not deserve. Popcap have brought us this open beta, partially because they want community feedback on gameplay balance, so it doesn't make any sense to whine about people voicing that opinion. I have 17 hours logged in the beta, with a 3.0 kdr (to be fair the PVZ community are among the least capable I've ever played with) and I can certainly see plenty of ways in which the game could be tweaked and adjusted to benefit gameplay balance.

As an example, the Zen Cactus is pretty overpowered in the current build, in my opinion. By firing off the weaker rounds you have a two shot kill on many targets, and the games tick rate will mean that the player won't even notice the damage of the first one until they are already dead. That's a problem in my opinion. That has nothing to do with me not knowing how to play other characters, it's something I've observed after playing with that character and feeling as though they had greater efficacy than their counterparts (e.g. regular cactus or dreadbeard).

In many cases it's not a matter of feeling that others need to learn. I get that when someone is whining that they are being killed by something over and over, in many cases their perspective skews their capacity for insight on the potential issue, but when you're on the other side of the fence and you're feeling that certain mechanics function in a way that is too powerful or too easy when you yourself are using them, I think that is often a more reliable testament to the games potential problems.

I played for an hour last night and was a bit lost. After more time with the game I'm really enjoying it and having a lot of fun. The game is extremely polished, has minimal loading times and a ton of features. Im considering buying the final game now.

Exile20

Love the feedback.

But for me, I put a lot of time into GW1. Its not like I am coming into this franchise brand new. I know how it plays, I know all the classes, the maps, the strengths, weaknesses, etc.

This game does not feel like garden warfare to me. It just doesn't.

There is something about this game that is just not clicking. I am constantly saying to myself "this is bullshit". I am going to play some more, but so far I hate things like

-Too many explosions. In GW1, only 1 or 2 classes had any sort of missile projectile. That was the foot soldier with the zpg and...I think thats it. Now?
Kernal has a missile. Mech has missiles. Deadbeard has missiles. Brainz has missiles.

Not only that, there are more aerial missiles as well. Deadbeard has an aerial with this (super fucking op) parrot. And corn has it now too.

Explosions are consistently going off. It honestly feels like chaos. I never feel that 1v1 against someone else. Its like 1 versus some random shit thats happening to me.

I have GW2 in my cart ready to buy after the impressions of th ebeta. I can't play it because I want it on PC but I am hearing too much of what you explained to buy this game. Too bad.

Can anybody confirm that the Deadbeard with Shark laser gun doesn't shoot lasers? I know in the "Backyard" thing in the hub the AI shoots lasers but everything I do just won't shoot lasers. Just long range cannon.

Was pretty hyped when I unlocked it too.

woodland

Can anybody confirm that the Deadbeard with Shark laser gun doesn't shoot lasers? I know in the "Backyard" thing in the hub the AI shoots lasers but everything I do just won't shoot lasers. Just long range cannon.

Was pretty hyped when I unlocked it too.

He doesn't shoot lasers.

Also, @Chronosphere - I agree with everything, especially the PvZ community being pretty bad. The mass majority is definitely kids (duh) and the game could definitely use balancing. That being said, I think it's pretty great how good the balance is for a beta. I do still want changes though. Especially to the old characters.

He doesn't shoot lasers.

Also, @Chronosphere - I agree with everything, especially the PvZ community being pretty bad. The mass majority is definitely kids (duh) and the game could definitely use balancing. That being said, I think it's pretty great how good the balance is for a beta. I do still want changes though. Especially to the old characters.

Thanks for the confirmation.

On another note, I wonder if they will allow you to import your stuff from PC to PS4 or Xbone from GW1. I played the PC version a crap ton and then jumped on the PS4 version when that was given out as a freebie. I got a TON more stuff unlocked on PC that on PS4. I rather get this on PS4 than on PC as well.

Would suck for me if it is just platform specific.

Safe Bet

Banned
Also, @Chronosphere - I agree with everything, especially the PvZ community being pretty bad.
This is a very dangerous, and tempting, road to go down imo.

You're basically blaming the audience..

Which I agree with in some cases of course, but in this case?

A game with anthropomorphic plants?

I dunno...

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I'm at the point where I'm done with the beta because I just want to play the retail release and not have my progress wiped. Beta was a great chance to see that the game is as fun as I hoped. Yes it's more chaotic with three new classes but whelp, that's a sequel for you. Can't wait to dive in next month.

minx

There being no music during some matches is weird. Just dead silent sometimes.

Also all my character progress got reset. This beta is sadly convincing me to wait to buy this game when it's on sale.

Save up 75k coins. Unlocked Frozen Citron that is already unlocked for everyone.... Yeahhhh.

TwiztidElf

I played a bit of the first one, but I always thought the visual clutter on that was an annoyance.

The visual clutter is still there in this sequel, but this is far from the thing that puts me off this game.
I thought about it some more, and I came to the conclusion that I don't like this game for four reasons:
1) The class imbalance really does bother me.
2) Often when I die, I don't really know why or it felt really unfair, and I didn't really learn how I could have avoided it.
3) It doesn't really matter how good or bad I play, I don't really feel like I have any impact on the random madness that is going on around me.
4) With plants, I'm quite happy playing as Sunflower, Chomper or Cactus. I've never really found a Zombie I like playing as.

I'd MUCH rather play Splatoon or Destiny as a multi-player online game.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They should change how the scoreboard works
Your personal xp multiplier shouldn't effect the game rankings

I can be doing shit and still come out on top because I have the x2 multiplier

Top Bottom