• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

LARDSHOCKER

Neo Member
Yeah Q1 looks pretty good on paper, but the only games I was personally considering getting were Mass Effect (not so much anymore) and Night in the Woods.

I'm hyped for Prey and Late Shift in Q2 though!

Kthulhu

Godlike quarter to start off a godlike year. The next 3 have some great stuff lined up too, I just hope the games don't come out quite as close to each other going forward.

Probably the best Q1 I have ever seen.

Resident Evil 7, Zelda, and Horizon have been great. Still need to get Nioh, Halo Wars 2, and Nier. Just finished RE7, and now working on Horizon, and Zelda. Afterwards I will go through Persona 5, and then I will buy either Nioh or Halo Wars 2. Undecided as of this moment which to get first. Not really interested in Mass Effect as of this moment.

kewlmyc

Tales of Berseria was surprisingly not shit or mediocre and an actual good game. I wasn't expecting after the last few games have been fun, but not as good as the PS2/early PS3 era games. Since this was tied to Zestiria, the only game in the series I couldn't bring myself to finish, I had very low expectations going in, and while Berseria probably wouldn't be spectacular to the casual fan, I loved it as a Tales of fan.

Loved what I played of Yakuza 0, and I need to get back to it. Sadly, since it's on PS4 and I travel a lot, leading to me playing mostly on my gaming laptop nowadays, I had to put finishing that game on hold. I'll get back to it at some point.

I really want to play Zelda after hearing all the reviews. Waiting for either CEMU to be able to run it (then I'll buy a Wii U copy) or the holidays to buy a Switch (hopefully its bundled).

Have Horizon at home waiting to be played. Rented it from Gamefly. Sadly, I won't get to it anytime soon due to traveling.

Have Nier on my PC (desktop and laptop). Been waiting for patches/mods to get it working properly. Should probably start on it sometime this week.

Still interested in playing Nioh and Gravity Rush 2, but I just don't have time for either of them. Will have to put them on the backburner since I still have to finish Berseria (on the 2nd to last dungeon), go back to Yakuza 0, start Horizon (or send it back to gamefly), and start Nier Automata. Also Persona 5 takes precedence over all of these games when they come out. I will never stop playing that game once it comes out, even if I have to bring my PS4 with me on my business trips.

Kal_El

Does MLB The Show count as Q1? That's the game i'm looking forward to and my backlog is already too much. I wish I hadn't just now discovered Diablo because now I haven't finished Horizon, I bought Mass Effect and haven't touched it. Destiny update is coming on the same day as MLB. There's just not enough hours in the day to play all the stuff I have coming up. After P5 comes out I think i'm going to explode.

t hicks

Banned
Just finished up Zelda and I'm playing Horizon right now, what a phenomenal start to the year!
Didn't play much else other than RE7 which I loved, was my front runner for GOTY but Zelda took that spot

Sillverrr

Too many games, not enough time. I have only bought two games from that list, and have barely scratched the surface of either. April has insane potential as well, what with Persona 5, Cosmic Star Heroine, etc., etc.

If it sounds like I'm bemoaning this situation, I'm not. I only wish they would spread out releases even further. There's obviously sales data to tell publishers to avoid the summer, but I know for a fact that *I* would buy games day one during those months, whereas now I might pick them up on sale instead.

I didn't even get to touch two thirds of what I wanted to play. Q1 releases are going to carry me right through to Q3, easy (plus Persona 5)

Best quarter I've ever seen. I knew it was going to be stacked but I didn't expect everything with the exception of Andromeda to match or exceed expectations.

g11

In all likelihood we've already played the best game of 2017 (unless by some miracle RDR2 makes 2017). Hell, probably half the Top 10. Amazing quarter, but the rest of the year is going to feel disappointing as a result, P5 aside.

Griss

Interesting that if you tally up the playable leads of the 7 games in that image the tally comes out to 3.5 women and 3.5 men (with ME:A being the .5 split).

Anyway, Zelda was incredible and Horizon has been pretty good, if not exactly GotY material. I'll start Gravity Rush 2 when Horizon is done, and I'll play Nier and Res Evil 7 when they go on sale.

Nioh doesn't really look like my kind of thing and ME:A looks like a huge disappointment. But overall it has been an astonishing quarter of games, with more interesting looking AAA games than almost the entirety of last year, which I thought was super-weak.

lawnchair

Banned
i'll be finishing nioh, nier, and probably mass effect before i buy any newer game. so maybe like six months, i dunno. great quarter.

Well, Horizon Zero Dawn really surprised me. I loved that game more than I expected to.

Oddly enough, Hollow Knight might be my 2nd favorite game of the year so far.

I'm still not sure about Nier. It's getting great reviews but I keep thinking that it might not be for me. There is a demo though (or there was)... so no harm in trying that I guess.

Andromeda looks like it turned out to be a massive disappointment. Which is a huge bummer.

I also really want to try Zelda but no Switch, and I don't plan to get one until there are enough games to justify it. But all in all, the year is off to a great start.

YsVvhzv.jpg

Elandyll

Banned
Persona 5 is going to celebrate the end of Q1 by metaphorically taking my wallet behing the barn and finishing it(if my wife doesn't literally do that to me when she sees the P5 steelbook arriving).

Have been one of my best gaming quarter ever though:

Finishing FFXV
Gravity Rush 2
Diluvion
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier

And left for a future purchase: RE7 + Mass Effect Andromeda.

Edit: Crap, forgot KH 1.5+2.5 HD and Nioh. Gonna have to play that sometime.

Fou-Lu

It is crazy how many games I want to play this year are already out and as amazing as this first quarter was there is so much more to come: Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix, Ni no Kuni 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Cosmic Star Heroine, Yooka Laylee, Dawn of War III, FF12 HD, Divinity Original Sin 2, Sonic Mania, Snake Pass, Battle Chasers, Kingdom Come, Ever Oasis, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Splatoon 2, ARMs, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, RDR2, Sea of Thieves, Vampyr, MAYBE Shenmue 3, Xenoblade 2 and Dragon Quest XI.

I haven't even gotten around to Nioh, Horizon or Yakuza 0 yet and just started Nier, how do I play all of these games?!

ManeKast

Zelda is one of the greats.

Resident Evil VII blew my mind.

Nioh was fantastic.

Horizon was way average.

Backlog: Berseria, GR2, Yakuza 0. Nier Automata.

AMAZING QUATER

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I might not buy another game for me this year, or at least till I see what's coming after E3.

I can see myself putting 200 hours in Zelda
I haven't opened Horizon yet.
I have started XV yet.
I didn't finish Gears 4.

My Wii U backlog could take me till late summer. I gots to chill/

Horizon and Zelda make it the best Q1 ever.

My favorite Q1 ever

RE7 was the best RE in years
Yakuza 0 is another fantastic entry in a great series
Nioh and Horizon are superb new IP's
Nier Automata is just plain awesome
I'm still early in Mass Effect but I'm enjoying it

And I haven't even played Zelda. Won't be getting a Switch until the fall but I'm sure I'll love that also

danowat

Banned
I'm tempted to ask, to those who are saying it's not a good Q1, when has there been a better one?

I guess if you don't own a PS4 or Nintendo, then you could have a valid argument for saying it's not...........

Santiako

Mass Effect is the first game I've bought this year. Now I have all my games planned until late summer (when I'm done with MEA I'll get Horizon, then Nier, then the DS3 DLC, then Nioh, then I'll get a switch with Zelda).

bryanee

Outstanding. Its already one my favourite years in gaming.

Resident Evil 7
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon
The Legend of Zelda
Nier Automata

Then stuff I havent had a chance to play like

Nioh
For Honour
Tales of Berseria

I'm interested to see if the rest of the year can be as good as the start.

Zukkoyaki

Loved Horizon and Yakuza 0
Really liked Resident Evil 7
For Honor was pretty good
Jury is still out on Mass Effect
Wish I had time for Nier and Ghost Recon

AudioEppa

- Horizon was a cool $15 rental.
- Disc Jam has long term potential.
- Most excited about episode 3 of The Walking Dead.

That sums up my thoughts on Q1. If the above wasn't there. It would only be backlog games and continue playing a couple of my go to MP titles.

Overall a boring Q1. But at least there was something which is better than nothing. Can't wait for the rest of the year.

probably the best quarter in videogame history:
Gravity Rush 2 - amazing
Resident Evil 7 - great
Nioh - amazing
Horizon Zero Dawn - fucking amazing
Zelda BOTW - fucking amazing
Nier Automata - game of the generation and one of my GOATs

next stop, Persona 5

SOME-MIST

Haven't been able to play anything outside of torment: tides of numenera but I've been greatly enjoying it.

Also have nier, nioh, yakuza 0, and zelda botw untouched.

Then Ill have my copy of thimbleweed park at the end of this month so Ill probably be hopping directly into that.

LotusHD

Banned
I've beaten Gravity Rush 2, which was joy incarnate and let me take to the skies again as my favorite video game protagonist.

I'm still playing BotW, which has by far the best open world I've ever experienced.

And now I've just recently finished NieR: Automata, which is a game that will stick with me forever due to its compelling story, as well as its engaging combat. Seriously, it's a weird masterpiece of a game. Also the game's OST is hands-down the best this year, and maybe even the best this generation.

Yeah it's been a good start to the year. I don't know why we have to keep stopping every month and go "how goods this, what's your fav, what's your new goat, is this the goty" Are we doing game of the quarter now?

witness

I will only speak for what I have played, though anything that I didn't buy didn't interest me anyway.

Halo Wars 2 - Really liking it so far, great addition and a welcome return. Haven't finished the story yet but that's to do with how great the next game I bought is..

Horizon: ZD - What an absolutely amazing game, just an incredible game from the graphics, story telling, writing, combat, world....EVERYTHING. My favorite 1st party game from Sony this gen, and probably my favorite exclusive regardless of console the entire generation. The ending sealed the deal, what an incredibly powerful and emotional ending. This will be extremely tough for any game to surpass this for me this year.

Mass Effect Amdromeda: still extremely early obviously, but I'm really enjoying it so far and excited to play through this.

I also bought a PS4 Pro, and I really like the system and updated controller. It makes a huge difference on my 1080p tv. Supersampling looks incredible. I didn't know that games can look that clear on it.

Fantastic quarter overall for me, now theres nothing new that I want until Dirt in June and then after that until all the fall games start in August.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 38, it's definitley the best Q1 ever and one of the best quarters ever IMO. And that's even with several of the games not being my cup of tea/not liking demos for things like Nier and Nioh.

RE7-->Gravity Rush 2-->Horizon/Zelda (played through at the same time)-->Mass Effect has been my path. Ton's of gaming goodness their, even if ME:A is a bit of a let down. Horizon is my game of the generation so far, and Zelda is fantastic as well. RE7 was a great return to form for the series and GR2 was a great, if flawed, sequel.

Rest of the year isn't looking as great to me. In terms of Q2, probably just MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 if it makes it then rather than Q3 which is probably more likely. Fine by me as I'm a bit burnt out and some MK8 and other pick up and play games for a while will be a good palette cleanser from all these huge games.

Have played Zelda, RE7, Horizon, Nioh and ME:A (trial soon full game) in this Q1. Good times, usually this time of year and summer is pretty dead.

Nioh with Zelda are my fav games so far. Nioh is up there with BB as the best PS4 game. Resident Evil 7 was very good fun ( and free since i won a copy of the recalled Collectors Edition! ). Horizon wasnt all that for me personally but still a solid game and ok sci-fi story. :)

Jury is still out on ME: A. Of What ive played its a fine game though. Will see how well it holds up to the end. Seems very divisive.

wildbite

This was great start to the year. I still can't believe I got both Horizon and Andromeda in my hands so close together. Hopefully one day I will play the new Zelda but I need them to announce an Animal Crossing first.

J_Viper

This has been one hell of a year so far.

If the quality keeps up, this will surely be the best year since the PS2 era.

As far as the rest of the year, I'm looking forward to Persona 5, Prey, and Injustice 2.

There's no way RDR 2 is this year

YES

Top Bottom