• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

Don't understand why it matters when March 31st passes? It's not like some cutoff that has any actual meaning. There are lots of games continuing to come out in the next months, I don't know why the "Quarters" distinction has any importance to people who aren't publishing earnings.

I would also like to say once again... you don't have to buy and play every game as soon as it comes out. If you are happy with what you're playing, just wait until you want to play something else. You will spend less, and never run out of games. There are plenty of times where 6 months go by and I wish I had some new games I hadn't already played, this year will prevent that from happening for a good while.

Good, got a fair few of the games that have come out but can't judge it properly as i'm yet to finish any of them. Finishing one before buying the next might have been a plan 🤔

Nioh - Ehh, it's alright. Sold it.
Gravity Rush 2 - Great, got back to Hekseville but not played it in a while.
Nier - Great, got to the Forest Kingdom the other day.
Horizon - Practically finished it, only a few more missions to go i think.

Starting Mass Effect on Friday 😀 and i'm really looking forward to Rain World next week.

Graciaus

Lots of great games were released. I still have a good chunk of those to play still. But they all go in the backlog since Persona 5 comes out soon.

jdstorm

Banned
Ouch my wallet.

I mostly buy games from the bargin bin.

Bought
Zelda Full Price (Not really into it. Have some open world fatigue)
Horizon- Full Price (It was great)
Steep -Gold Eddition (had been waiting for a bigger price drop but i badly needed a palate cleanser from the RPGs i have been playing recently and steep is fantastic
Mirrors Edge Catalyst: bought a heavily discounted digital copy because who knows maybe voting with my wallet will work. (already have it physically)
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands (Wii) found it in the bargain bin. Havent played it yet but love the series.
Final Fantasy XV: Hopefully Square/Sony let the price error slide.

Oh and i upgraded from my launch PS4 to a slim model after Sony reduced the price by $100 the weekend the Switch launched.

marmoka

Banned
- Gravity Rush 2
- Nioh
- Horizon
- Zelda
- Nier

What a great time to be alive.

And both Persona 5 and South Park got delayed. Bad for us, but our wallets and time really appreciate it, they wouldn't be able to handle 2 more games.

Honestly? I'm shocked the Switched actually shipped this quarter. It's my favorite piece of gaming hardware in a long while, and I'm super excited for its year 1.

Zelda currently owns my soul/free time

Jinaar

Bought
RE7 (PC) - Completed - Achievements 100%
Halo Wars 2 (PC) - Almost completed, 2 missions off
Horizon Zero Dawn )PS4) - Achievements 100%
Nier Automata (PC) - Obviously just started but 27% of quests done so far.

Will Buy Later
Nioh - Will wait for a sale
Gravity Rush 2 - Will wait for a sale
Zelda - Will wait for CEMU and pick up a copy locally

Too many gawd damn games.

In a month, Dawn of War III. Fuck me.

Best gaming 3 month period in a long, long, long time marred by the disappointment of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Plat'd HZD, played some BOTW, and have GR2 and Nier to look forward to.

It's been pretty ridiculous. I'll be playing catch-up for the rest of the year. There are just so many games I want to play that I still haven't been able to. Right now I only have Nioh, and am getting Andromeda (against my better judgement), but I still want to get:

Gravity Rush 2
Horizon
Zelda
For Honor
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 & 2.8
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nier 2

Plus Yooka-Laylee and Tekken are coming soon. Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do.

Clov

It was excellent! Gravity Rush 2, though flawed, was still a very fun follow-up to the original. BotW, gameplay wise, is definitely the best Zelda game. I had a ton of fun just exploring and finding shrines and towers! I can't wait for them to expand upon this formula for the next title. Nier Automata has by far the best gameplay out of any Yoko Taro title, and its story stands up with the rest of his work. I've been very impressed by all of these games.

Next up, I'm mostly looking forward to Persona 5 and Fire Emblem Echoes. Though a smaller title, I'm also really looking forward to playing through the PS4 version of The Silver Case. I'm a big fan of Suda51's older work, and this is exactly the kind of title I want from him.

Quite possibly the best quarter I ever saw, and I'm 31 years old.

I'm 31 as well and I would agree completely. It wasn't my most anticipated quarter (at least it doesn't feel like it was) but the fact that all of these games came out with such high quality astounds me. I'm definitely hopeful for the rest of 2017 because of such a great start. And if nothing else, there's enough of a back log form this quarter to last me the entire year.

Fixed it

S0h1RPq.png

(Disclaimer: I am a big Mass Effect fan but Andromeda is such a disappointment on many different level that I feel like it just doesn't deserve to be in the hall of the ''Quality Q1 2017 Titles'' )

i like you

great year, the best start in a while.

pablito

Q1 was one of the best quarters I can remember, but I only played one of those games. Horizon, and it was great. Someday I'll buy Wii U Zelda when Cemu is compatible with it, and probably Yakuza, Nier and Gravity Rush.

I am so fucking ready for Q2s first game, though.

With the Switch launching, I'm happy I can finally be excited about a Nintendo console again. And Zelda is the first console game since the 90s I have played for more than 5 hours.

It's been an amazing quarter for consoles, so amazing that I've stopped playing on my PC. What's even more exciting is the prospect of Pokemon and Animal Crossing using an enhanced Zelda physics-based engine for the Switch (as well as Sony developers copying the Zelda open-world formula for the more powerful PS4).

Only Brood War HD would make me go back to PC.

Copper

Fantastic. And we are starting off Q2 with Persona 5 and Yooka Laylee. One of the best years in gaming.

Great Q1.

Just finished Halo Wars 2 (XBOS), Resident Evil 7 (XBOS), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Yakuza Zero (PS4) and just started NieR Automata (PC) and Mass Effect andromeda (XBOS).

GeoramA

Insane is how I'd describe it.

PS4's lineup alone cleaned me out. Also the Switch shows a lot of promise and will be buying one in the near future.

Only played through Gravity Rush 2, Horizon and Yakuza 0. My backlog is growing and Persona 5, Cosmic Star Heroine and Dragon Quest Heroes II hit next month.

Crazy year.

Dysun

I was only able to play Nioh and Zelda, which were both great but were so big that they demanded 50-100 hours of playtime.
Wish I had time to play Yakuza 0, RE7, and Horizon.

The hurt from Mass Effect is still too fresh to talk about

Banned
Incredible quarter ending the worst way possible for me; Mass Effect Andromeda missing the point and being a dud.

DylanEno

God tier if only for Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Nier and the grand king emperor of them all, Zelda. Possibly the best Q1 of all time.

Gurish

Incredible quarter ending the worst way possible for me; Mass Effect Andromeda missing the point and being a dud.

Yea the only negative, it's already legendary but with a great ME it could be unbeatable for years and years.

Pachimari

Great quarter for sure. I only bought Resident Evil VII and a bunch of iPad games.

Card Thief, Death Road to Canada and Sunless Sea are awesome games.

Gravity Rush 2
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone
Atelier Shallie Plus
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Tales of Berseria
Digimon World: Next Order
Nioh
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
I Am Setsuna
Zelda: BotW
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
NieR: Automata
Atelier Firis
Blaster Master Zero
UMvC3 PS4
Danganronpa Reload 1-2
KH1.5+2.5 HD
The Nonary Games

^ A List of all the games I bought or am Buying from this quarter. Really fucking solid, but my wallet hurts like hell. Killer Q1 with Persona 5, probably my GOTY for 2016/2017 and may top my personal favorite game of all time; Persona 4 Golden, on the way? I'm sold on 2017.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Been gaming for as long as I can remember and this is easily one of the best, if not the best Q1s that I can remember. I'm still catching up and have already plat 2 games(Nioh & Horizon) which is something I rarely go out of my way to do. Still got so much more quality titles to play and the rest of the year will be almost as insane. I freaking love it.

yurinka

I think it's one of the best quarters ever. Zelda BotW, Horizon, RE7 and Gravity Rush 2 have been stellar games. Nioh also really good, and didn't have time but I assume Nier, Night in the Woods, Yakuza 0, For Honor, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect may be great too.

One of the best games of all time released (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild).

One of my favorite Resident Evil games released (Resident Evil 7).

Yeah, it's been good. Still need to play through Nier: Automata and Nioh.

Kuraudo

Banned
Only other quarter I remember being anywhere near as good as this was back in 2005 in PAL land when MGS3, Chaos Theory, Resi 4, Kotor 2, and DMC3 all released within a couple of months.

Phenomenal year so far. I've only played three of the big releases (Resi 7, Zelda, and Horizon) and they're all some of the best games this gen. Knowing I have Nioh and Nier still to go is wonderful, as well as GR2, Hitman, the Kingdom Hearts remasters when I finally get some free time.

Not expecting a whole lot from Q2 beyond another GotY contender in Persona 5. Also excited about the PS4 release of the Silver Case.

Every new thing I played was the best game ever. Gravity Rush 2 started brilliantly, then Yakuza 0 was a whole new experience, then Zelda changed everything, Nier is utterly mind bending, and I'm still missing out on some big hitters. Which I'll miss for a while because the latter two I've yet to finish and Winter 2014 is right round the corner.

alemmon

While I certainly dont have enough time to play what I want to... I still picked up Horizon, Gravity Rush 2, Tales of Berseria and Nier Automata. I am very pleased with these games. And Persona 5, Cosmic Star Heroine and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 are right around the corner.

The onslaught continues! Hope the summer will be very slow....

March has been awesome with the Switch, Zelda, Fast RMX, Spectre of Torment, and Blaster Master Zero etc. Still looking forward to Pocket Rumble and Snake Pass.
Jan and Feb didn't do anything for me.. well, that's not entirely true. Hollow Knight looks incredible but I'm waiting for the Switch version.

Thinking about maybe getting Nier on pc at some point. Didn't like the gameplay from the previous one much but this looks sufficiently improved.

Top Bottom