• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

How's the playerbase? Since Lawbreakers is effectively dead (5m per match for quick match = dont got time for that shit) how long does the average game take on PC for Quake Champions to find?

How's the playerbase? Since Lawbreakers is effectively dead (5m per match for quick match = dont got time for that shit) how long does the average game take on PC for Quake Champions to find?

Before the hotfix, it took me 3-5 minutes. Since they patched it, I can consistently find matches in about 45 seconds with much better ping. The playerbase is pretty low on Steam, but not many people are really willing to pay the price of entry for a game that's been advertised as going F2P in the future. I'm sure that the numbers for the Bethesda players is quite a bit higher, since you can play for free if you've gotten a beta code (I think?).

They also haven't really been advertising it, which could be a good thing, since it's still technically an early access title. I'm sure it'll get a decent boost when F2P drops on Steam.

Before the hotfix, it took me 3-5 minutes. Since they patched it, I can consistently find matches in about 45 seconds with much better ping. The playerbase is pretty low on Steam, but not many people are really willing to pay the price of entry for a game that's been advertised as going F2P in the future. I'm sure that the numbers for the Bethesda players is quite a bit higher, since you can play for free if you've gotten a beta code (I think?).

They also haven't really been advertising it, which could be a good thing, since it's still technically an early access title. I'm sure it'll get a decent boost when F2P drops on Steam.

Cool. I'll buy it and play for an hour and see how it goes. I enjoyed the beta, and if the player numbers stay higher than Lawbreakers I think I'll be fine with paying $30.

Cool. I'll buy it and play for an hour and see how it goes. I enjoyed the beta, and if the player numbers stay higher than Lawbreakers I think I'll be fine with paying $30.

Honestly, if you're willing to play from the Bethesda launcher, you could get a code for much cheaper than that. The game is really fantastic, and this is coming from someone who's pretty bad.

TikeMyson

Damn, I was about to get this refunded since this was as laggy as the beta. I couldn't play the beta at all because either I had about 5 - 10 fps or it was laggy as hell. But I read they did a hotfix and I decided to give this another shot and boy I do have a blast. It runs silky smooth now.
Since I skipped Quake Live and the beta was unplayable for me this is my first time playing Quake in about 10 or 11 years. First round was 13 - 30, second was already 14 - 16. The feeling is coming back slowly.

dawid

It's my biggest gripe with the game and seems to be tied to high framerates and data upload. Some people have had success with this "fix" combined with capping their framerate. I'm away from my PC at the moment but I'd be interested to know how you get on with a really low cap, say 90 for instance.

Stuttering seems like a wide problem but i have hopes that they will fix it before going out of EA. The game defaults to borderless and setting it to real fullscreen has been the only thing that reduced the stutterings for me. But it's still to much to not ruin the experience.

Will try those fixes, but i'm generally sceptical of the placebo-fixes people always seem to come up with. Steam launch options never helped anyone ever(almost :p )

Fugu

Stuttering seems like a wide problem but i have hopes that they will fix it before going out of EA. The game defaults to borderless and setting it to real fullscreen has been the only thing that reduced the stutterings for me. But it's still to much to not ruin the experience.

Will try those fixes, but i'm generally sceptical of the placebo-fixes people always seem to come up with. Steam launch options never helped anyone ever(almost :p )
I have found that the game becomes increasingly unplayable the more consecutive matches I play without restarting, so now I'll only play two or three games in a row.

That's a good point! I like things being simple, but the game needs a concentrated vision to go for. I'm just a vain person in video games and I'd rather be Doomguy or Ranger in my Quake, not feel pressured to go for Hot Topic girls or "that guy who looks in his 30s but is still rocking high school fashion" if they just end up playing better, haha.

Lol just gotta unlock that Bone Daddy skin for Anarki. Then instead of a teenager who looks like he's 40 he can be a teenager who looks like he's 400.

TikeMyson

My god, I think the Tribolt is the worst weapon I've ever had in my virtual hands in a multiplayer game. Better bring back a grenade launcher...

boinx

I'm enjoying watching the QuakeCon stream. The performances by the players are all great, and I've gotten two chests just by watching!

Same. The sacrifice finals were surprisingly fun to watch even tho it was chaotic as fuck. Still hoping CTF is gonna replace it next year. Or better yet, added in with the other modes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My god, I think the Tribolt is the worst weapon I've ever had in my virtual hands in a multiplayer game. Better bring back a grenade launcher...

One of the runes asks you to get like 20 kills in a match with it lmao

Fucking impossible

MiguelItUp

I've come to appreciate it more than I originally did. But only in specific scenarios. GL has to be coming back, I just figured they'll release it at a later date. It ain't Quake without a GL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Holy crap...this Sacrifice grand finals between Team 2Z and Team Notofast is INSANE.

Clawz must be happy. He's guaranteed a six-figure prize payout ($75k for the Sacrifice win plus at least $50k by virtue of being in the duel grand final).

Honestly, if you're willing to play from the Bethesda launcher, you could get a code for much cheaper than that. The game is really fantastic, and this is coming from someone who's pretty bad.

Matchmaking is way better than Lawbreakers. That's all I wanted.

BJ and Doom Slayer are cool additions. Enjoying my first hour so far.

bee

clawz will win this imo with his insane lg aim, looking forward to the backwards movement from voo though

that's not normal. you need to refresh and it will be faster. i find a game within 30s-1min.

The random rubberbanding gets annoying, but other than that I'm still enjoying it. It had a new peak this weekend at 2k players. Hopefully it keeps growing, once it hits f2p on Steam there should be a sizable jump.

Sub_Level

Quake 2 rail gun looks cool but it really hurt my accuracy. Guess my brain got used to the crosshair relative to the big rail gun model. But I'd rather suck with rail for a bit to adjust than go back to og model.

Even tho its not centered like it should be, Doom 2 shotgun is very satisfying to use. Working to unlock that Q1 rocket and Q1 electric gun then I'm set for weapons.

TikeMyson

The random rubberbanding gets annoying, but other than that I'm still enjoying it. It had a new peak this weekend at 2k players. Hopefully it keeps growing, once it hits f2p on Steam there should be a sizable jump.

Yeah, pretty good to see the slow but steady growing population over the weekend. At release I thought this would be dead really fast, but it seems Quakecon was a good advert for the game.

RS4-

Uhh, is something fucked on my end. Halfway through the match, none of my hits are registering, meanwhile I can still get shot.

And with some of the other guns, I can't even shoot? Sometimes I can't even respawn.

edit - nm, sounds like hit detection is sorta fucked anyway?

Vipu

Banned
Uhh, is something fucked on my end. Halfway through the match, none of my hits are registering, meanwhile I can still get shot.

And with some of the other guns, I can't even shoot? Sometimes I can't even respawn.

Debugging is ON to send them data, the higher fps you have, more data it sends, if you dont have some VERY good net you will lag until they turn OFF that debugging.

Or you can limit your fps to like 30 but thats also not fun.

Fugu

This bug happens to me sometimes. The only remedy I know of is to quit the game.

For those playing along at home: This is not the usual "hit reg is wonky" situation. What happens is that every gun except your starting gun stops working entirely and with the starting gun you can still do damage but you get no visual feedback of that fact. If you try to switch to another gun, you will appear to have switched but you won't be able to fire or do anything and the game will automatically switch you back to your starter a few seconds later. You also don't get any sound effects if you take damage and when you die, clicking the button to respawn doesn't do anything, so you have to wait for the force respawn to take effect.

In short, the game becomes completely unplayable and you basically just have to quit.

RS4-

Debugging is ON to send them data, the higher fps you have, more data it sends, if you dont have some VERY good net you will lag until they turn OFF that debugging.

Or you can limit your fps to like 30 but thats also not fun.

I didn't have a frame limiter so I think I was hitting like 250fps or whatever, and I guess that was too much even with my connection. Thanks!

This bug happens to me sometimes. The only remedy I know of is to quit the game.

For those playing along at home: This is not the usual "hit reg is wonky" situation. What happens is that every gun except your starting gun stops working entirely and with the starting gun you can still do damage but you get no visual feedback of that fact. If you try to switch to another gun, you will appear to have switched but you won't be able to fire or do anything and the game will automatically switch you back to your starter a few seconds later. You also don't get any sound effects if you take damage and when you die, clicking the button to respawn doesn't do anything, so you have to wait for the force respawn to take effect.

In short, the game becomes completely unplayable and you basically just have to quit.

lol fuck, it was my first game too since the beta. Cheers!

abracadaver

How do you unlock the classic weapon skins? Buy an awful lot of crates until you get lucky enough to get the skin you want?

After 10 opened backbacks and crates I haven't got a single item for the doom man

Sub_Level

How do you unlock the classic weapon skins? Buy an awful lot of crates until you get lucky enough to get the skin you want?

After 10 opened backbacks and crates I haven't got a single item for the doom man

Sell the armor that you don't want. Fastest way to get 1200. You get a crate every level and can buy one every 2k favor. Do all the challenges, and reroll if its a challenge you don't think you can do. For example I always reroll the mid-air rocket challenges because those kind of come down to luck.

Patch!

It really didn't do much though...

- Steam: Fixed a problem with an account already linked to another Bethesda game.
- Steam: Allowed special symbols in the password field.
- Removed spam from logs.
- Removed Double XP
- Removed QuakeCon Lightning Gun
- Fixed: Wrong lootbox highlight for rare armor shaders for BJ Blazkowicz and DOOM Slayer
- Fixed: Wrong legendary Machinegun drop.
- Fixed: DOOM Slayer's Thak Rune Challenge cannot be completed.

Fugu

I low key have no idea how the loot system works in this game. How do I sell things I don't want? How do I get runes?

How do the runes work? I go to my runes and I can't do any of them. Do you unlock them in loot boxes or something?
Yes, and the requirements to complete them are usually pretty grindy. I don't really get they point of them, they're too complicated and tedious to really work towards, especially since it's all RNG which quest on which character you even get.

- Removed Double XP
Meh, I thought the double XP rate was totally fine. One level every 2-3 matches seemed completely fair.

Sub_Level

I low key have no idea how the loot system works in this game. How do I sell things I don't want? How do I get runes?

How do the runes work? I go to my runes and I can't do any of them. Do you unlock them in loot boxes or something?

Loot Boxes

- 3 types: backpack, crate, reliquary
- Backpack has 1 item, crates have 2, reliquaries have 3
- Items include costumes, character paint schemes, weapon paint schemes, runes, icons, nameplates, weapon skins, and even characters themselves
- If you unlock an item you already have (for example, if you bought the champion pack and unlock a character), you get rewarded with red shard currency
- Loot boxes themselves are acquired in 2 ways: you get one every time you level up and you get one every time you buy one. Simple.

Currencies

- 3 types: Favor, Shards, Platinum Tokens
- Favor can buy backpacks in the Loot Store and lets you rent characters
- Favor is acquired by playing the game normally and fulfilling daily challenges
- Shards can buy armor directly and weapon skins.
- Shards are acquired by getting duplicate items in loot and more efficiently by selling armor you don't want. To sell armor, go to character customization menu, find the armor you want to get rid of, and when you highlight it you should see an option to sell it.
- Platinum Tokens can buy crates and reliquaries
- Platinum Tokens are acquired by spending real world money. You get crates and reliquaries for leveling up anyways, so you can totally ignore this if you want. But obviously it speeds up the process of getting Shards and the odds of getting armor and weapon skins you want in loot

Challanges

- 2 types: Daily, Rune
- Daily challenges unlock favor. They reset every 24 hours regardless of if you have completed them or not and they come in 3 at a time.
- If you see a challenge you don't think you're able to do, you can reroll one by highlighting it in the menu and clicking the refresh icon. This randomly generates a new challenge for you, but be warned it might give you an even shittier one lol
- Rune challenges unlock all sorts of things. Sometimes favor, sometimes backpacks, sometimes paint schemes, e.t.c.
- Runes are unlocked by getting them randomly in loot. There's no surefire way to get runes. Once you've gotten one, go to the corresponding character's customization screen and look at the Rune tab. 1 challenge is 1 rune is 1 reward. If you complete all 10 runes in a Set (4 Sets per character) you get a paint scheme.

Lore

- At the beginning of a match, break open pots and jars for a randomly placed lore scroll for a random character.
- Each character has 10 scrolls. If you find them all you get a unique costume for the character.

drotahorror

If I buy the classic rocket launcher skin is that only for that character or all characters?

I really hope they add Bots or something so I can practice strafe jumping and whatnot. I see Quake live has custom maps for that even

Top Bottom