• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Damn, I'm slowly getting better and I finally managed to get a positive k/d, and what happens?

Nice job. Getting better is a good feeling. And the skill ceiling is high enough that even if you play for ages there is always someone who can curbstomp you lol.

For Slash, consider switching your crouch button to Shift instead of the default left control.

Also for any champion, its not a bad idea to get some or even all of the weapon hotkets around your movement WASD keys. For example I put railgun on R, electric gun on E, and rockets on Q.

Vintage

Disabling UAC is literally the first thing I do on any new Windows install. Seriously, disable it. It's basically a glorified extra "are you sure" prompt.

The problem is not the prompt, it's that it appears every launch, which never happens with any app or game. If I click no, it says "First time setup failed" or something.

Sub_Level

zYw6q5S.jpg

22 vs 22
14 vs 14
11 vs 11
7 vs 8

Teams don't get more evenly matched than this. Holy shit lol

boinx

I wonder if they'll add a character that's just power armor from fallout

I would prefer that they wouldn't add characters from non id games but if they do, I hope its way down the line. Original characters and id legacy characters need to take priority.

TikeMyson

Today I suffered the worst rubberbanding since I started playing. I had a ping of 25 but I had to quit after 2 matches because it was completely unplayable.

drotahorror

I'm just not gonna play this anymore. It seems like it's only an issue for me as no one else talks about it.

In a normal game of TDM (I say this because that means atleast 25% of the team, it's in other modes) there's always 1 person, and sometimes more that are near impossible to hit. It's like their hitboxes are lagging way behind where they actually are. In a head2head fight I can usually keep an LG on someone pretty decently resulting in multiple numbers and hits. But against these people who have shit hitboxes, even with them just strafing on the ground, barely moving, my LG cannot keep up and barely registers a hit.

I usually have a ping of 25-40, and these people have pretty decent pings too. I have never experienced anything in an online game quite like this. Very steady connection over here, solid speeds, expensive ass router, capped framerate @120 (to reduce upload I guess?, just following a guide).

In Lawbreakers the hit detection and hitboxes feel very smooth and react how they should for the most part. In Overwatch they do, even CoD WW2 beta is ok and I see people saying the lag in that game is awful. QC? So random.

Sub_Level

Can't say rubberbanding or inconsistent hit registration have been an issue for me. Remember that characters have different hitboxes, so shooting at an Anarki or Slash is not the same as shooting at Ranger or Visor.

On American servers I do uncheck the box of the data center that has the worst ping, but you mention that you have low ping anyway so that can't be the issue. Guess the game's netcode needs more work.

drotahorror

I've seen this happen with Scalebearers and Sorlags. Maybe it's where I've capped the framerate, I don't know. I could fraps it easily as it happens constantly.

drotahorror

Well, I played like 4 or 5 games with no FPS cap, all graphics on low, reset router and shit. All games seemed pretty straight thankfully. I wonder how much I'm uploading when I'm rocking like 3-400 frames? I heard QC uploads more, the higher your framerate.

TikeMyson

Ok, I think I'm gonna quit until they implemented something like matchmaking. You know, I don't have that much time to play... on most days it's less than an hour a day, so I only made it to level 8 since last week... and I'm sick of getting matched with people that are level 20+ and we as a level 8, level 5, level 7 and level 12 team getting crushed by a level 17, level 22, level 23 and level 25 team.

I mean there are also good matches, but most matches look like this or similar.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have seen rails go through characters too many times to count today. The hit detection really feels off, it annoys me that most of the time when I am playing I have around 80~ ping as well.

Fugu

Ok, I think I'm gonna quit until they implemented something like matchmaking. You know, I don't have that much time to play... on most days it's less than an hour a day, so I only made it to level 8 since last week... and I'm sick of getting matched with people that are level 20+ and we as a level 8, level 5, level 7 and level 12 team getting crushed by a level 17, level 22, level 23 and level 25 team.

I mean there are also good matches, but most matches look like this or similar.
I have a 75% win rate now and I played a match the other day where I was the only person in the game with a kdr above 1. I'm pretty sure there is actually 0 matchmaking right now.

Competitive can't come soon enough.

I have seen rails go through characters too many times to count today. The hit detection really feels off, it annoys me that most of the time when I am playing I have around 80~ ping as well.
Yes, the hit detection is still unacceptable. But it's getting better and it's been improving at a pretty fast rate, so I expect it will become acceptable sometime soon.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Last time I played this I felt hit detection was off. I was also frustrated at some of the high pings I was seeing with other players, when mine was at 20.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

drotahorror

When can we expect the gibbing system we had a glimpse of in the Quakecon video?

Hopefully by the end of the year, and it'll be worth the wait.

Does anyone know where I can find this? *Nevermind found something about it.

Also the issue with laggy hitboxes I talked about earlier....

Additionally, we have also identified a potential fix that causes other players to appear more jittery, even at high framerates. The proposed fix is currently in development, and we're waiting to evaluate the effect it has, but due to the unstable nature of the Internet, sometimes it's not possible to evaluate a fix without actually going through with the implementation and trying it in a real world environment.

They were all jittery as well, as explained here.

You gotta carry that weight. It'll put hair on your chest.

No, I can’t carry yet. I’m not that good. I can hold my own, but that’s about it. That being said, I’m still enjoying it. I have 18 hours and I don’t plan on stopping. This is the most fun I had with a FPS in a while. The game play loop is just so satisfying once you actually start to get the fundamentals down.

I’ve started to play Nyx more. I tried her when I first started, but I sucked too much. Now that I know what I’m doing she’s damn good. Slash might be getting dropped! The speed is great!

2ab.gif

drotahorror

Feels good when you play 1 game and get all your dailies done. I had 2 consecutive rail shots 5x, 3 gauntlet kills and 10 total kills. I figured it would take me atleast 2, cuz i usually just camp the railgun and try to get rail kills (and I'm not very good at them).

Lucky for me they had 2 Clutch's (TDM). Just railed the shit out of them all game and actually had one of my best games yet, 18-4. Which is very solid for me.

Sub_Level

Slash might be getting dropped! The speed is great!

Depending on the map, Slash is extremely fast. Namely Blood Covenant and Burial Chamber. On Lockbox with her I find I have to use the gauntlet for fast kills. Probably applies to other non-tank champions too.

AESplusF

Iv'e been in top 3 several times, but a lot of the time I'm getting matched up against people that are clearly quake players and it's hard to keep over a 1:1 kd

Depending on the map, Slash is extremely fast. Namely Blood Covenant and Burial Chamber. On Lockbox with her I find I have to use the gauntlet for fast kills. Probably applies to other non-tank champions too.

Yeah, she can be fast especially when you use her ability. I'm still trying to get her crouch slide down. Apparently you can knock people in the air doing it, but I always fail at it.

Uriah

Finally played my first non-TDM game since the game entered early access. It was standard deathmatch. It did not go well.

Fugu

The better I get, the worse my teammates get. I’ve been having people drop -1/10 or go like 0/7 then quit and the person that replaces them goes 5/20.
I played on a team the other day where I was the only net contributor. Quake is hard.

Iv'e been in top 3 several times, but a lot of the time I'm getting matched up against people that are clearly quake players and it's hard to keep over a 1:1 kd
sorry

Sub_Level

Finally played my first non-TDM game since the game entered early access. It was standard deathmatch. It did not go well.

I still only played DM twice and never played Sacrifice. It's always TDM.

Y'all know you can always just uncheck the TDM box when you queue up lol

DM queue is longer than TDM but still under 2 minutes from my experience.

Yeah, she can be fast especially when you use her ability. I'm still trying to get her crouch slide down. Apparently you can knock people in the air doing it, but I always fail at it.

For her crouch slide I got crouch on Shift.

Zeneric

Man, I have an itch for Quake Champions even tho I wasn't feeling it (refunded). I want to buy it back. But I promised myself (and my wife) that I wouldn't buy anymore games for a long while (spent too much $ on games this year). Think I'm gonna hold myself back and hope the itch dissolves. Quake Champions is apparently pretty much full of TDM/DM atm so yea that helps me to not care bout the game (not into those TDM/DM modes. Only into the flagging, and stuff like that, types).

Sub_Level

Man, I have an itch for Quake Champions even tho I wasn't feeling it (refunded). I want to buy it back. But I promised myself (and my wife) that I wouldn't buy anymore games for a long while (spent too much $ on games this year). Think I'm gonna hold myself back and hope the itch dissolves. Quake Champions is apparently pretty much full of TDM/DM atm so yea that helps me to not care bout the game (not into those TDM/DM modes. Only into the flagging, and stuff like that, types).

In one of the leaks there was an icon that had a flag on it. So a flag-based mode is on the way (not necessarily vanilla CTF)

AESplusF

I heard that they have some sort of competitive team based mode in the works (not TDM, and probably not CTF).

Sub_Level

I remapped it to shift and now I'm having a much easier time performing it. I love how she can pretty much instantly change directions and not lose any momentum. Great for tight corners.

Sometimes its better to just do regular ass jumps lol (you'll develop your own intuition on when crouch slides are appropriate) but on certain maps with smooth hallways and curves like Blood Covenant her skating is amazing!

Stackboy

Was keen to jump in on early access paid but I've heard no one is really playing in Australia. If the devs added bots in soon I would jump in.

drotahorror

Got 2 legendary's out of a reliquary chest? the one you get from leveling up. A vanity item and a rocket launcher skin.

Sub_Level

Got 2 legendary's out of a reliquary chest? the one you get from leveling up. A vanity item and a rocket launcher skin.

Nice. Remember you can sell the ones you don't want for more shards.

Was it the Q1 or Q3 launcher? I fucking love the Q1 launcher.

drotahorror

Nice. Remember you can sell the ones you don't want for more shards.

Was it the Q1 or Q3 launcher? I fucking love the Q1 launcher.

Q3. I had already bought the Q1 one. I bought the Thunderbolt LG today. Next up is the Perforator nailgun and the Doom 2 shotgun.

Uriah

Anyone else notice how when there is a shit talker in the game, it's usually the guy who is completely awful and contributing nothing to your team.

Sub_Level

Anyone else notice how when there is a shit talker in the game, it's usually the guy who is completely awful and contributing nothing to your team.

There are some real fuckfaces who play this lol. But luckily the vast majority of players I have encountered so far are nice or mute.

Top Bottom