• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Wars Pics. Holy SH*T...? (640x480 ; ;)

Borys

Banned
First things first:

Funky Papa said:
If you twats start another console flamewar in the Quake Wars Thread of Awesomeness I will cuss you bad.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2432619&postcount=23

Link to the article (with screens). Useable when ImageShack craps down.

HIGH-RES GOODNES THANKS TO DRDOGG!

4393_12.jpg

4393_11.jpg

4393_10.jpg

4393_09.jpg

4393_08.jpg

4393_07.jpg

4393_06.jpg

Visually the game hasn't lost anything in its escape from its technical origins. Enemy Territory began life as the Doom 3 engine. "As most people know, it's predominantly a linear, first-person, single-player, indoor shooter," Wedgwood says of the Doom engine, "and this is an outdoor multiplayer game with vehicles [laughs]." It's doing well - foliage is lush, human/Strogg and vehicle models are well animated, and it makes good use of its tech to simplify what it has to tell you in words. Seeking cover, for example, you judge how well hidden you are by whether any light falls on the arms and hands holding your gun in front of you.

The key technical change, of which much has been made in the game's early press, is the addition of the "megatexture", something John Carmack - who else? - came up with. It's basically the idea of covering the entire 32,000 pixels-square in one texture. Entirely unique landscape from start to end. Instead of painting textures onto polygons, designers specify what certain areas should be by proxy, so environmentally you can order the map to display weathered grey rock or churned mud near a river, moss below a certain height, and so on. "They start off about eight gigabytes," Wedgwood says, somewhat wince-inducingly, "but we scale that down until it takes up about 8MB of your video memory." Oh. When you zoom out, there's very little loss in texture quality; when you peer down a road, it looks different all the way along.

Network code has also been redesigned, with vehicle physics a key consideration. "Ordinarily in a multiplayer game the best that you can hope for is a straightforward rigid body model that moves across a very smooth landscape, which means you can't do jumps, you can't go offroading and all that. Because we actually have four-wheel-drive vehicles and proper suspension in multiplayer, we can model things like a limited split differential, the way the brakes work. ... Whatever I expect the vehicle to do, it's going to do." Wedgwood proceeds to donut a Humvee-style 'badger' vehicle around a GDF outpost.

Be sure to read the 2-page article at the link mentioned above. Lotsa cool stuff explained there!

Deg

Banned
Nice. I hope the helicopter aiming is easier than it looks. Looks like you can airlift vehicles

Lots of plastic however :p

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I hope this makes its way to the 360. It would be nice to get some good matches on LIVE without having to worry about if the person on the other end is hacking.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Nerevar said:
I hope this makes its way to the 360. It would be nice to get some good matches on LIVE without having to worry about if the person on the other end is hacking.

Because that never, ever happens on Live. The game is looking good. It's nice to see the ole' Doom 3 engine have a chance to breathe and go outside a little. :D

Nerevar said:

If this doesn't come to 360 I'll be pissed. But I remember reading that this game is planned for PC and next-gen consoles, so there's a good chance 360 is one of them.

ET is my favorite multiplayer FPS, can't wait for this one. Splash Damage f'n rocks.

Deg

Banned
Nerevar said:

You mean punkbuster not xbox live ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks very nice indeed. For all the talk of "megatexture", though, some of the environment texturing looks a little low res.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I hope your dingleberries dry and fall off, Chum.

This must be one of those cases where an ugly, old and below borderline girl (Doom 3) has a nuclear-scientist-lingerie-model-by-night sister (QW)

Solo

Any clue on the system reqs? If they are equivalent to Doom 3/ Quake 4, Im gonna be blazing through this one all systems go :D .

This is the FPS that has gotten me the most excited in a long long time. Looks great, and can't wait to see how it all plays. I'll buy this day one for the PC for sure.

R0nn

gofreak said:
Looks very nice indeed. For all the talk of "megatexture", though, some of the environment texturing looks a little low res.

Yeah well, megatexture doesn't have anything to do with the res right? It's more about a more natural look to the environments with smoother transition from one surface to another and less polygons needed to render the environment. Something like that.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Chittagong said:
360 version, please?

seriously.... please?
Seconded!

This is the real Quake 4. Let's all forget that horrible smudge on the Quake franchise by Raven and bask in the (apperant) glory of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

123rl

Looks nice :)

(and I mean that a compliment as my original thought when I saw the title was: "I bet this looks like shit)

Borys

Banned
It's one thing to say "I would like this to come out on the 360 because, frankly, my PC sucks" and another to say "fuck PC gaming".

Man, do I hate ellitist console-only assholes.

Probably as much as they hate me ;p

Flo_Evans

/sigh

it looks like PC developers are still going for textures >>>> polygons.

really really nice textures, but I don't want to be able to count the polys in my helmet anymore! (on one hand no less!)

Awesome stuff

Kobold said:
Seconded!

This is the real Quake 4. Let's all forget that horrible smudge on the Quake franchise by Raven and bask in the (apperant) glory of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Have you even played a Quake game before? Quake 4 was a very well crafted sequel to Quake 2. This has nothing in common with the old games, so I don't know wtf you're on about.

MbGCaM

In the new GameInformer preview, they say that although Splash Damage is currently concentrating on the PC version of ET:QW to get it out in time, the game is being designed with next-gen consoles in mind, and after the PC version is released, QW:ET will likely be developed/released for consoles then.

360 + XBL FTW!

Solo

Flo_Evans said:
/sigh

If the artists are talented enough, then this isnt really a problem. Look at HL2. No uber poly counts, but it features such amazing texture work (head and shoulders above anything else this gen) that it still conveys a believable world.

conker

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
/sigh

really really nice textures, but I don't want to be able to count the polys in my helmet anymore! (on one hand no less!)

QFT

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey, I don't mind if this comes out for the X360 too, the more the merrier. Just try to keep things polite, it is quite rare to find a decent thread lately :)

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Flo_Evans said:
/sigh

...whats wrong with the helmets...

Top Bottom