• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Wars Pics. Holy SH*T...? (640x480 ; ;)

Tiger

Banned
Woah. Those pics are nice.

This game had better be ported to the next gen consoles and it had better have a smooth framerate.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Based on the Gears of Wars screens as a comparison, I'd say this game could be done on X360. Plus, considering they are going after Battlefield 2's marketshare, I would think a console version is imminent. Could make a great launch title for PS3....

Borys

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Based on the Gears of Wars screens as a comparison, I'd say this game could be done on X360. Plus, considering they are going after Battlefield 2's marketshare, I would think a console version is imminent. Could make a great launch title for PS3....

Gears of Wars runs on an engine that hasn't shipped a game yet.

Quake Wars runs on a 2001 engine. QW could be ported to Xbox 1 even if they wanted to.

I'd be a lil'* bit surprised if GoW looked worse, you know - because it doesn't!

* - understatement

Kroole

It looks awesome as usual. Too bad my PC can't run it but it's nice too see someone actually making good use of the Doom engine. Splash damage sure seem to have a killer-ap there.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Borys said:

Quake Wars runs on a 2001 engine. QW could be ported to Xbox 1 even if they wanted to.

I'd be a lil'* bit surprised if GoW looked worse, you know - because it doesn't!

* - understatement

I remember hearing that back in May. These new screens look amazing. The need for voice communication just screams XBOX Live. crosses fingers

Flo_Evans

DonasaurusRex said:
...whats wrong with the helmets...

sdgsdg4wi.jpg

it's being nitpicky to be sure, but if they expect me to upradge to a 7800 to play this game I dont want to see shit like this!

the body armour and sleeves are pretty low poly too. The normal maps make them look nice head on, but if you look at some of the more angled shots you can see how flat they are.

Solo

Shit, you're right!

Im not gonna buy QW now that I see hemlet polys! :(

Seriously though. Its BF2 on the Doom 3 engine. With uber poly counts and all that shit going on, the game would be damned near unplayable on all but a few select machines. I think youll get over it very quick.

Flo_Evans

I didn't say I wasn't gonna buy it or the graphics or horrible or anything. I would just like PC devs to strike a balance between polys and textures.

DenogginizerOS said:
I remember hearing that back in May. These new screens look amazing. The need for voice communication just screams XBOX Live. crosses fingers

Unlike its free predecessor, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars will be a full, packaged, stand-alone product sold in stores. The game is in development for the PC along with other platforms, though for now id and Activision aren't specifying which. We expect to learn much more about the title at E3 this week, so keep your eyes here for more.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/614/614489p1.html

:)

Deg

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
I didn't say I wasn't gonna buy it or the graphics or horrible or anything. I would just like PC devs to strike a balance between polys and textures.

Dont forget the plastic look. Overuse of normal mapping is getting annoying. I hate the way they do fake creases on clothes too. Increase the polycounts rather than overstretching normal mapping!

momolicious said:
^ PCs are not that advanced yet to handle both perfectly

PC's already are more powerful than PS3. Expect big advances over time.

Kasra

Banned
Orin GA said:
Translation: I CANT AFFORD A DECENT VIDEO CARD. HALF ASSED PC PORT FTW!!!!

I have a 3.2Ghz P4 + 6800 Ultra machine.

I'll take a 360 version on Xbox Live, thanks.

R0nn

Deg said:
PC's already are more powerful than PS3. Expect big advances over time.

Ehrmm no, not really...

Maybe the RSX is comparable to current high-end PC GPU's (especially in SLI), but I don't think any current PC CPU can be compared to either CELL or Xenon. Even if the highest-end PC atm is comparable to either PS3 or X360, it will take developers quite a while to fully exploit that hardware. So I don't expect PC games to actually look better than next-gen console games until after about two years. The same happened current-gen when you think about it. Yes the PC had nice texturing and high resolutions with the likes of Quake 3, but the PS2 did so much other things better (animation, particles, polygons, grafical effects) a year in it's life with the likes of MGS2, GT3 and FFX, that it was actually more convincing looking than most PC games. Hell, just have a look at current PS2 games and the power difference back then between PC and PS2 becomes even more apparant. PC developers always have to take into account the many users with a lower-spec machine, so they can hardly ever optimize for the highest-end hardware available.

Kasra

Banned
Deg said:

What, you want pics of my rig and equipment boxes when I get home? Cus I was going to snap some pics of my new custom 360 faceplate anyway, and would be happy to ablige.

I sit at a computer all day at work. When I get home, I want to sit on my couch in front of my big screen HDTV and play my games with all of the conveniences of Live. I know you're not a brainiac, but this really shouldn't be terribly hard to understand. Maybe when you get a job one day, you'll see that sitting at a computer for 16 hours a day isn't terribly fun.

I have a high end PC just for those FEW titles that I can't get on a console like WoW, or for games where I can't get the full experience on a console like HL2. If I could get these experiences on my 360, then I really wouldn't bother keeping my PC up, but I can't, so I do.

teepo

Flo_Evans said:
sdgsdg4wi.jpg

it's being nitpicky to be sure, but if they expect me to upradge to a 7800 to play this game I dont want to see shit like this!

the body armour and sleeves are pretty low poly too. The normal maps make them look nice head on, but if you look at some of the more angled shots you can see how flat they are.

you're not a pc gamer are you?

nor do you play battlefield style games...

Kasra

Banned
teepo said:
you're not a pc gamer are you?

nor do you play battlefield style games...

You have a point.

But BF2 looks better than this, IMO. From a purely technical standpoint, of course. The premise of Quake is far more interesting to me, however. Being a sci fi nut and all...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
must...play...this (with good controls i.e. fuck off consoles)
must...sell...organs...and...pets for cash

Xkiko

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>> Graphics

Seriously, when you players are crying over pixels ingame I'm gonna blow your head off and enjoy the game.

Here's the most common (and stupid) example:
Counter-strike, looks like shit but it's still the most popular online FPS game.

Next-gen makes everyone into a graphic whore.

Borys

Banned
Kasra said:
I sit at a computer all day at work. When I get home, I want to sit on my couch in front of my big screen HDTV and play my games with all of the conveniences of Live. I know you're not a brainiac, but this really shouldn't be terribly hard to understand. Maybe when you get a job one day, you'll see that sitting at a computer for 16 hours a day isn't terribly fun.

Happens to me all the time since I started working last year.

8 hours of programming, DAILY, sucks every last drop of PC gaming love from your body.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't higher poly counts increase the overhead for hit detection and possibly physics, and thus increase network traffic?

teepo

Kasra said:
I'll give ya that. Quake certainly has a lot more foliage.

lets pray for non of those annouying invisible barriers around the trees like bf2. couldn't even go inbetween the foilage.

Deg

Banned
R0nn said:
Ehrmm no, not really...

Maybe the RSX is comparable to current high-end PC GPU's (especially in SLI), but I don't think any current PC CPU can be compared to either CELL or Xenon. Even if the highest-end PC atm is comparable to either PS3 or X360, it will take developers quite a while to fully exploit that hardware. So I don't expect PC games to actually look better than next-gen console games until after about two years. The same happened current-gen when you think about it. Yes the PC had nice texturing and high resolutions with the likes of Quake 3, but the PS2 did so much other things better (animation, particles, polygons, grafical effects) a year in it's life with the likes of MGS2, GT3 and FFX, that it was actually more convincing looking than most PC games. Hell, just have a look at current PS2 games and the power difference back then between PC and PS2 becomes even more apparant. PC developers always have to take into account the many users with a lower-spec machine, so they can hardly ever optimize for the highest-end hardware available.

We are talking about the current next generation.

see that tree. see how dense the forests are in this game? the forests in bf2 are a joke. bf2 doesn't compare in this area.

BF2 trees are awful. Very simple models. Although they do animate, shake with wind by air vehicles etc. BF2 doesnt have any forests either.

This game should top BF2 graphically easily overall as a year might well have a passed by then. Especially if it ends up with 32 players. But i hate the plastic look the Doom 3 engine supports. UE3 looks much better in this respect. I would prefer if DICE continue to make their own engine for BF for 64 players.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Three things to consider on the PC front:

1. The engine is so far removed from Doom 3 at this point that Splash Damage is uncomfortable calling it that without a disclaimer("Heavily modified"). Don't expect your rig to run the game perfectly at max settings just because Doom 3 does...

2. The player limit goal of 24-32 is only for official servers. Just like it was for Wolf ET(32). Independent servers will be able to set their own player limit(64 I'd expect), and also should see modifications so that you can play the game to your liking(increased speed, double jump, XP storage, etc). Splash Damage is, imho, the most helpful and generous dev when it comes to the mod community. Which leads to:

3. Custom maps will extend the PC version's life far beyond console iterations.

hadareud

The Translator
Borys said:
Man, do I hate ellitist console-only assholes.

Elitist console gamers, eh? I was a PC gamer for many many years, and they are the real elitist pricks (as was I :D).

Anyway, I think it's quite the other way around. I for one am happy not having to spend hundreds of quid a year (or probably every other year to be fair) on PC upgrades anymore, . The only thing I lost was being an elitist PC gamer - can't say I miss it much though.

Deg

Banned
Goreomedy said:
Three things to consider on the PC front:

1. The engine is so far removed from Doom 3 at this point that Splash Damage is uncomfortable calling it that without a disclaimer("Heavily modified"). Don't expect your rig to run the game perfectly at max settings just because Doom 3 does...

2. The player limit goal of 24-32 is only for official servers. Just like it was for Wolf ET(32). Independent servers will be able to set their own player limit(64 I'd expect), and also should see modifications so that you can play the game to your liking(increased speed, double jump, XP storage, etc). Splash Damage is, imho, the most helpful and generous dev when it comes to the mod community. Which leads to:

3. Custom maps will extend the PC version's life far beyond console iterations.

Thats the beauty of pc gaming.

hadareud said:
Elitist console gamers, eh? I was a PC gamer for many many years, and they are the real elitist pricks (as was I :D).

Anyway, I think it's quite the other way around. I for one am happy not having to spend hundreds of quid a year (or probably every other year to be fair) on PC upgrades anymore, . The only thing I lost was being an elitist PC gamer - can't say I miss it much though.

Instead you spend 100's of quid more on massively overpriced goods(more than 100% markup in many cases) for broken versions of games. :lol Console gamers are the ultimate suckers, they pay for anything.

Kasra

Banned
Borys said:
Happens to me all the time since I started working last year.

8 hours of programming, DAILY, sucks every last drop of PC gaming love from your body.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I am often enticed back to my PC by games like Warcraf 3, WoW, SWG (shut up), and HL2. It's just that I really can't do it every day or sit there for 4 or 5 hours when I get home from work. Sitting on my couch and playing PGR or something for 4 hours is fine because I'm comfortable and relaxed.

This is why I'm interested in the Rev controller. If they can give me the precision of a mouse while allowing me to sit on my couch... well they win. Too bad about the lack of HD though.

Oh and the 360 version will undoubtedly have downloadable maps (if it comes ot 360). Maybe they'll be free and maybe not. I'm willing to pay for the convenience of comfort, so w/e. The consoles do need to get better on the downloadable front, though. I know it's hard in a closed environment, but someone smart needs to find a way to have more user created content out there.

Deg

Banned
IF you read the preview it says the aliens can assimilate a human and use his body to go into the enemy base and do some damage. Sounds cool. :lol

hadareud

The Translator
Deg said:
Instead you spend 100's of quid more on massively overpriced goods(more than 100% markup in many cases) for broken versions of games. :lol Console gamers are the ultimate suckers, they pay for anything.

That's nice, on the other hand you could also stop talking shite for the sake of it.

This just again shows that most PC gamers feel a certain kind of superiority over console gamers. But yeah, downloading games for free is slightly cheaper than having to buy them - good for you.

Plus, the broken games argument is so stupid I think we don't really have to discuss this (especially since this thread should be more about the awesome quake wars screens than this shit).

Borys said:

Bzzt, try again. No chance in hell could the original Xbox could deal with QW engine using a single giant texture for the entire environment terrain, while also dealing with that level of texture detail, lighting or physics on that scale... (or support enough players online to make it interesting) But if you mean they could possibly sand down all the detail and make a different game from the concept (like modern combat), well ok.

Deg

Banned
hadareud said:
That's nice, on the other hand you could also stop talking shite for the sake of it.

On the other hand this just again shows that there most PC gamers feel a certain kind of superiority over console gamers. But yeah, downloading games for free is slightly cheaper than having to buy them - good for you.

Plus, the broken games argument is so stupid I think we don't really have to discuss this (especially since this thread should be more about the awesome quake wars screens than this shit).

I mean look at the price of the HDD on xbox 360! Or a wireless controller with all bells and whistles VS a top class mouse ;) Also that reminds me games tend to cost 25% less than console games at full price. Plus we've had HD for years now and user community in games.

Its easy just making a remark with no weight to it. Next time try harder. ;)

bigsnack

This may be mildly off topic, but wasn't keyboard and mouse support confirmed for the ps3? If so, maybe everyone could have the best of both worlds and be playing this game on a console in their living room with the precise control of a keyboard and mouse.

hadareud

The Translator
Deg said:
I mean look at the price of the HDD on xbox 360! Or a wireless controller with all bells and whistles VS a top class mouse ;) Also that reminds me games tend to cost 25% less than console games at full price. Plus we've had HD for years now and user community in games.

Don't get me wrong, there's no denying that you're getting ripped off on accessories and game prices with consoles - after all this is what the manufacturers are making their money with.

Still, if I compare what I spend on a console over it's life time of 5 - 7 years to what I'd spend on keeping my PC up to date it's still a lot less. I'm missing out on a couple of great games though, but the PC games that I'm interested in and that are not coming to consoles are getting less and less (apart from RTS - which might very well change soon as well, going by todays announcement of EA).

Mashing

Solo said:
Quake Wars isnt from id, and neither was Quake 4.

I haven't kept up with it much... but I"m surprised they'd license the name out to another developer. Who is making this game?

Deg

Banned
hadareud said:
Don't get me wrong, there's no denying that you're getting ripped off on accessories and game prices with consoles - after all this is what the manufacturers are making their money with.

True.

Still, if I compare what I spend on a console over it's life time of 5 - 7 years to what I'd spend on keeping my PC up to date it's still a lot less. I'm missing out on a couple of great games though, but the PC games that I'm interested in and that are not coming to consoles are getting less and less (apart from RTS - which might very well change soon as well, going by todays announcement of EA).

Not quite I've brought two gfx cards the past 5 years (9700 Pro and 6800) and they have given me better value than consoles no doubt, including some of my all time favourite games. If you think BFME was good as an RTS than god help you.

Top Bottom