• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake was released 20 years ago today June 22, 1996

image.png

I loved this game! I picked up the shareware version on disc in Babbages and after I completed episode 1, I called gave my credit card to unlock the rest, lol. I still have that disc.

Anyway, most people are familiar with Quake so I won't post walls of text, but if theres a slight chance, click here. Or watch a LGR

Share your memories below. Favorite maps, mods, mission packs etc...

Mine are, CTF and Dissolution of Eternity Mission Pack. Lost many hours with CTF lol

&

Quake Family Tree

Quake_-_family_tree.svg

BAW

Banned
And I finished it for the first time 3 days ago! The level design is just sublime. I have to say this is a much better game than Quake 2. Now on to the expansions!

Just beat the single-player recently and had such a great time. The art and music add so much to what is already a well-crafted shooter, in my opinion. It's dreary and stressful, but it's so satisfying to work your way to the end of a level. Started on 2 recently, and although I'm enjoying it, it seems like they didn't quite understand what made the first so great. I haven't ever touched its multiplayer; is it really worth it at this point, or did its sequels improve heavily on it?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Probably the most influential game ever made.... almost single handedly created the game industry we have today.

I've played every Doom game, but not a single Quake game! That being said, Quake Champions looks AMAZING, so I can't wait for it to be my first!

Fuck, I'm fucking old.

Love Quake although probably been about a decade since I played through it.

Finished it on nightmare in a single sitting once. Can't remember how long it took, not too long I think.

Love the way you unlock nightmare. Any other games have a level for difficulty selection? You could even DM there.

Happy Birthday Quake! A very formative game from my youth. Quakeworld ushered a new world of online gameplay, and team fortress was probably my first team based shooter. And OH GOD the first sight of GLQUAKE, made console games look like shit.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You know how these kinds of things are supposed to make me feel old.. but it actually does feel like 20 years since Quake released.

Played the shit out of it back then too.

Adnor

Banned
That LGR review guy is right, the box art for Quake 1 would be right at home in 2016. In fact it's better than most 2016 games box arts.

Quake and Ultima VII boxarts remain some of the best ever made.

EDIT: They need to add Wolfenstein: TNO and TOB, DOOM 2016 and Dishonored 2 to that flowchart.

I think about all the history of QUAKE and to see it turned into a Hero shooter. I hate to say it but I would take the Strogg again just for a good single player campaign.

Zeneric

Played it when I was in open custody (1997-98). I thought it was alright. Then I played it fully a year ago... fell in love with it. They need to reboot it like they did to Wolfenstein (and DOOM too apparently). Quake 2's art style turned me off. There's a mod that changes its art style into a dark gritty theme, similar as the first Quake game. Need to check that out.

played it back then on a friends pc, in glorious software rendering and about 20 fps. It was great :D

I would love to play it again but i am lost due to patches, glquake and so on. I think i still have the disc lying around here somewhere.

Question is. What patches, mods or whatever do i need to play it in widescreen and enjoy it on a semi modern pc?

TriAceJP

I can't really add much to what has been and will be said, but the game was and still is a fantastic experience that has no doubt shaped the industry for what it is today, be it for better or for worse.

And the soundtrack is fuckin' rad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That engine tree reminds me I need to try Tenebrae out.

Also you're forgetting iD/Carmack released the source code so anyone can mess with the engine in the OP, OP. You can find the Q1-3 engines on Github.

jwhit28

I got Quake working using Quakespasm earlier tonight. I only ever played the single player on N64, but I played a ton of multiplayer on PC.

Twas my first PC game I believe, I think I still have it somewhere too.

MP on dial-up through Heat.net, those were the days.

EDIT: Yup, was in the dufflebag with the rest of my old/previous played PC games. Also found my copy of the Oregon Trail, it's from 1999 I wonder if it'll still work, also had a free AOL trial! Also some old games I didn't even bother opening that I got bundled from some hardware I bought like 10+ years ago such as "Mobile Forces".

Daingurse

I played Quake for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Very late to the party lol.

I got my stepdad the Doom reboot for his birthday, and hearing him talking about the original Quake, Doom and such really made me want to go back. After that Digital Foundry video on the Saturn version, my interest had been peaked. I purchased the game on GoG shortly after. I'm digging the hell out of it. I really just love the Gothic Lovecraftian Techno mish-mash thing it has going for it. It's a very interesting aesthetic.

Can't even imagine what this game was like back in the day, in it's prime. Finished Masters of Doom recently, and it really made it sound like a fascinating era of gaming.

low-G

Only reason I was able to afford Quake (I wanted it, but hadn't saved money for it), was around release I caught wind that Nintendo was dropping the price of the N64 by $50 BEFORE its release. Presto Quake-o.

Had the shareware and called up id & bought the game over the phone (with local decryption unlock... it was really crazy). 2 years later I was browsing the net & found a decryptor crack for the disk that worked which someone had made. Very interesting technique of distribution.

Really loved the game and really loved it again after I got my first 3DFX card.

I think it still really holds up. For those who have seen Quake Done Quick, Quake has level design that Doom couldn't even touch.

Here's some of my old Quakeworld footage I recorded in the 90's and uploaded to YouTube a few years back...

Wonko_C

Just yesterday I finished Quake 1 with the Dark Places engine+Ultima mod. It really helps the 15fps animations by making them run at 60fps. Some parts really stressed my aging PC, but I could play it fine for the most part.

And it was my first time playing it with the original soundtrack... It really makes the game a lot more creepier.

https://youtu.be/gLCHrTRjvdQ

Really really really for reals yo!

deim0s

Was just thinking the other day to just load Quake 1 on an updated Mac client to kill time while at work.

Do people still play MP Quake 1 and are community servers still up?

Was just thinking the other day to just load Quake 1 on an updated Mac client to kill time while at work.

Do people still play MP Quake 1 and are community servers still up?

I think it might depend on how old it is and if there was an update of any sort. Like with mine I'd be shocked if there's still MP since Heat.net has been dead for a long time.

Crayon

I back-to-backed this with Doom 2016.

I don't want to start any fights I'll just say Q1 is pretty fuckin good.

Quake... ran like crap on the 486. Wasn't until I got a Pentium 1 that I could play. I bet Intel were very happy with Quake, it must've caused a ton of people to upgrade to Pentium chips.

There was something satisfying and visceral about the weapon design that was lost in later Quake games. Including the level design.

It's easy to overlook, but this was the first FPS game with full 3D movement. (there were games like Marathon that had freelook, but the levels were still 2D with heightmaps) It took a bit of getting used to.

The mod scene was fantastic. Several common FPS mods started on Quake, like CTF and Rocket Arena. id's QuakeWorld add-on was really the beginning of online internet play for FPS games.

Grief.exe

Just yesterday I finished Quake 1 with the Dark Places engine+Ultima mod. It really helps the 15fps animations by making them run at 60fps. Some parts really stressed my aging PC, but I could play it fine for the most part.

And it was my first time playing it with the original soundtrack... It really makes the game a lot more creepier.

That looks so good.

I back-to-backed this with Doom 2016.

I don't want to start any fights I'll just say Q1 is pretty fuckin good.

Seeing this footage, that was a good choice.

Noogy

I was so hyped for Quake. Qtest absolutely blew my mind.

The final game was so weird, so crazy, and the multiplayer was so ambitious relative to DOOM. Quake was one of a kind. I still enjoy it to this day.

I used to play the two official expansion packs to the OST of Raiders of the Lost Ark. So I always associate the music to Quake.

Crayon

+1 on the soundtrack. My first time hearing it, too. Has to be one of the all time great soundtracks.

Top Bottom