• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake was released 20 years ago today June 22, 1996

Evilcrane

Oh crap this thread made me feel like an old bastard! I was in high school when Quake came out which meant that basically any class room with some computers enabled us to have some fun over LAN. It was also one of the first games that I played online with my trusty dial-up connection. The game had some serious legs, thanks to a pretty awesome mod / total conversion scene - made quite a few mods together with my friends back in the day!

derFeef

Quake scared the shit out of me. Looking back I still love the monsters designs - it's very lovecraftian.

New Quake needs Q1 designs, not Strogg Q2 designs.

quake_shambler_by_abeloroz-d5e4ui1.jpg

Quake scared the shit out of me. Looking back I still love the monsters designs - it's very lovecraftian.

I agree and truly hope whoever did the art in the Doom reboot isn't going to be let anywhere near a Quake reboot within a ten mile radius.

F!ReW!Re

Sounds like a Q2 mod I played to death, made by a guy called Glitter. Epic times.

Maybe Action Quake 2?
Ahh wait the CTF one is Lithium CTF (just popped into my head again)

Edit:
Yeah it was, even found a site is still promoting it;
http://quake2lithium.com/quick-start-guide

th

Rune description:
Runes (appear as pyramid shaped entities):

Strength (Red) You inflict 2x damage
Resist (Blue) You take 1/2 damage
Haste (Yellow) You fire twice as fast
Regen (Green) Your health regenerates slowly
Vampire (Purple) You gain health for damage inflicted

Jon

I loved Quake, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time. Growing up, my dad subscribed to TEN (and later MPlayer), and he played a ton of Quake, so I would play too. We both got to be very good (I guess), he was inside the top 300 on TEN, and I eventually got to be in the top 500 on MPlayer. Neither of us played with mouse or keyboard, but instead used a analog joystick with a button on the top and two side buttons. We were both members of clans, and when they found out we weren't using K&M they were completely shocked and confused. Eventually MPlayer went away, and we moved onto other games, but I still have the layout of those maps burned into my brain.

owlbeak

First game I really got into deep as a kid. Played it on my Gateway 2000 PC and was fucking addicted to Quakeworld, playing all sorts of games, Team Fortress, Threewave CTF, and custom servers. Loved it! Quake has a special place in my heart. A member of Clan Lagitus! No LPBs!

Oh man, and the day I got a Voodoo 3 card and was able to play Quake in Glide was an earth-shattering experience.

AmFreak

Is this Bryan Cranston?

quake_is_for_everyone_german_.jpg

The translation makes it much better. It essentially reads:

"The exciting party game for the whole family!"

Best part is the mandatory warning normally for children under the age of 3.

"Not for children under 18 years old: swallowable small parts"

lol

yep yep agree. nice shambler there. maybe go longer fur and skip the chains. huge shambler aficionado here. hehe

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I feel so damn old, thanks OP lol.

I remember playing this on a compaq presario in software mode for a bit.After a month or two I bought a voodoo fx card....mind blown!! One of the best gaming communities I've ever been a part of because people were still excited about being able to play online. It was so fresh and new at the time. The only assholes were the lpg's with their esp skills lol

I would stay up for nights watching Thresh replays so that I could get better! I was actually pretty decent, until I played a pro player once... nope I sucked.

Sad to see where Quake is now, it should have been what LoL , Starcraft or counter strike is to esports.

-NeoTB1-

Damn. 20 years ago. It came out just before I started college. Good memories of living in my dorm and playing with friends.

d3vnull

So many good memories.
Bought everything Quake back then, even the not so good stuff, but some of the mods were unbelievable back then. Still remembering me taking multiple hours to get the mod "axe of command" running where you would hit the monster with your axe and they would start fighting for you.

Anyone remembers this?
HMTAmMN.jpg

or this?
ah9OM2L.jpg

or this?
kDqqp6W.jpg

Metalmarc

I have fond memories of us setting up the shareware version on the college p.c's and 5-6 off us playing when the lecturer didnt show up sometimes

So many good memories.
Bought everything Quake back then, even the not so good stuff, but some of the mods were unbelievable back then. Still remembering me taking multiple hours to get the mod "axe of command" running where you would hit the monster with your axe and they would start fighting for you.

Anyone remembers this?
HMTAmMN.jpg

or this?
ah9OM2L.jpg

or this?
kDqqp6W.jpg

Yes, had a copy of Aftershock, might still be lying around my Dad's place!

kuYuri

I missed out on Quake back in the day. To make up for it, I bought the id Super Pack that Steam put out when id games were added to Steam. I only managed to play the first episode of Quake using the Darkplaces engine, but it was awesome. I totally understood how influential of a game it was after mostly playing Doom.

Darkplaces is also a really good engine to play it in, I was getting something insane like 2000fps on my gaming PC.

Sciz

Most modern Quake source ports support OGG and sometimes MP3 music playback. No reason why you couldn't make the Q64 music work.

Actually, that makes much more sense seeing how I'd only want the music for obvious reasons. Not really a PSX Doom scenario.

lazygecko

Quakespasm is the only sourceport I really tolerate. The others I've tried have this weird habit of adding in totally uncalled for feature creepy things like changing the gun swaying animation.

Sciz

Quakespasm is the only sourceport I really tolerate. The others I've tried have this weird habit of adding in totally uncalled for feature creepy things like changing the gun swaying animation.

I'll second the recommendation. Just picked through a number of source ports, having not actually played Quake in a few years now, and Quakespasm seems like the closest thing there is to a Chocolate Quake. Could use a few more options in the in-game UI to turn off stuff like texture filtering and animation interpolation, but config files still work.

Zelias

Banned
Probably spent more time on Quake 2, but the original's gothic atmosphere was amazing and I kinda wish they'd go back to that.

I'll second the recommendation. Just picked through a number of source ports, having not actually played Quake in a few years now, and Quakespasm seems like the closest thing there is to a Chocolate Quake. Could use a few more options in the in-game UI to turn off stuff like texture filtering and animation interpolation, but config files still work.

I ran into some pretty big problems with DarkPlaces so this is welcome news. I'll give it a go soon.

Bulletzen72

Gah! I remember getting the shareware of this like it was yesterday!
The original is, for me still the best game in the series. My heart sank when I saw Quake Champions at E3. Guess we'll never see the techno Gothic Lovecraftian nightmare theme of the original game.
That genuinely makes me sad. I've waited 18 years for a "proper" Quake sequel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
?

Mods are alive and well.

Depends on the title/Engine. You can't mod Frostbite/EA titles. Same with Ubisoft (outside of model swaps, I think). Square titles are a toss-up. FF13 couldn't be fully modded, but someone did texture replacements. Same with Tecmo and DOA5, you can't replace characters, you can't do new outfits. You can recolor the hair and textures and that's it.

Full modding has gone the way of the dodo. It's out there, but it's very rare.

This is awesome! Thanks for this.
Trading cards look awesome.

Man the 133 was a beast. One of the best designs by Intel of that era.

By the way, does anybody else also think that the "exploding gibs" animation in Quake still is the most satisfying ever made? Seeing the chunks of meat leaving a blood trail in the air never gets old.
Yes, I consider the gibs in this game among the very best, if not the best. Also LOVE all of the sounds, including grunts and gulps of the Ranger.

The best Quake game, glad to see people giving it the respect is deserves.
Agreed, this thread is making for a good read. Q1 is just awesome, one of the few campaigns I can play over and over and the MP was terrific, too. Just so frantic and wild.

I went down the rabbit hole of user mods several years ago. Q Rally, Q Chess, 2D platformers ... Just incredible stuff.

I agree. We have at least 4 quake games with the Strogg direction and only one with the lovecraftian design. Would love to see a single player campaign that brings back the original quake style.

3D graphics.
Technical marvel.

One thing that is easy to overlook is that Quake was the first game to use full light maps, which made the lighting more impressive than anything else from its time. Light mapping is just another layer of texturing that uses grey scale to add baked shadows: But it was a great solution that brought dynamic lighting to the slower 486 and Pentium 1 class CPU's of the time. This is a technique that every game engine that came later adopted.

lightmap-bilinear.png

bQqWevo.png

Compare it to a game like Mario 64, which was released a day later, and you can see a difference., everything in Mario 64 is flat shaded.

246937-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-hanging-from-a-column.jpg

The movement and weapon switching are perfect. And has the best rocket launcher. Too bad Quake II doesn't match up.

I've played plenty of Doom mods, but I've actually never played custom Quake levels, total conversions, or anything.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Quake is one of those odd games that I've always liked, but haven't played much of. Like, I've played through the first few levels of the shareware version a billion times... but that's it. I did buy it on GOG, though -- I need to figure out how to mount the music files that are included with it, and then I'll give it an honest playthrough. I mean, it's about time, right?

Anyway, yeah. I like the game's aesthetic a lot, and wish the series would return to it someday. And I remember seeing the advertising in the UK... fucking weird. But memorable.

Yes! QuakeOne was my go-to haunt for mods.

Need to check these out, thanks!

Quake is one of those odd games that I've always liked, but haven't played much of. Like, I've played through the first few levels of the shareware version a billion times... but that's it. I did buy it on GOG, though -- I need to figure out how to mount the music files that are included with it, and then I'll give it an honest playthrough. I mean, it's about time, right?

Anyway, yeah. I like the game's aesthetic a lot, and wish the series would return to it someday. And I remember seeing the advertising in the UK... fucking weird. But memorable.
My secret shame is that I have never played this game with the soundtrack(!). More reason to fire it back up for a "new" experience.

Truant

I really digg the weapons in Q1. They're made out of heavy black iron and wood. I really hope id finds a way to modernize the single player and bring that aesthetic to tech 6 or 7.

naitosan

I feel old. I remember asking Dad to get Quake for me at Future Shop and he did. We had a 486 DX2 66MHz with 4mb of RAM and Quake pretty much crushes it. It ran around 5-10 fps in 320x240.

Quake has been consistently being played all way though especially when OpenGL update got released. It had some awesome mods like team fortress and x-men. I should dig it up and install some old mods for it on my Surface Pro 4. :D

id software should have done a reboot with Quake instead of Quake Champion. :(

VARIA

Thanks to the Quake engine we got Valve.

Long live Quake and its original killer OST by Trent Reznor!

louiedog

I feel old. I remember asking Dad to get Quake for me at Future Shop and he did. We had a 486 DX2 66MHz with 4mb of RAM and Quake pretty much crushes it. It ran around 5-10 fps in 320x240.

Quake has been consistently being played all way though especially when OpenGL update got released. It had some awesome mods like team fortress and x-men. I should dig it up and install some old mods for it on my Surface Pro 4. :D

id software should have done a reboot with Quake instead of Quake Champion. :(

Holy shit.... I hadn't thought about the X-Men TC in a really, really long time. Wow. That really brings things back.

Daingurse

Thanks to the Quake engine we got Valve.

Long live Quake and its original killer OST by Trent Reznor!

The OST really does kick ass. The main menu theme is excellent, and Q1 honestly has some of the best ambient music I've heard in a game. Also, it didn't sound dated or anything to me. The game really holds up in so many aspects.

I don't know why but I just love the graphics in Quake 1. Square blood and all. I kind of wish game developers would make games in its style like how everyone make 8bit graphics now a days.

naitosan

I don't know why but I just love the graphics in Quake 1. Square blood and all. I kind of wish game developers would make games in its style like how everyone make 8bit graphics now a days.

I kept telling myself to learn Unity and create a 90s fps like Quake, using non filtered textures, lightmap, etc. Only if I have time...

Top Bottom