• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake was released 20 years ago today June 22, 1996

Peltz

Quake and Super Mario 64 came out on the same day. Think about that for a second.

When was the last time two games of that stature released on the same day?

Quake and Super Mario 64 came out on the same day. Think about that for a second.

When was the last time two games of that stature released on the same day?

Yeah 1996 was an amazing year for innovative games as a whole.

Also, play some Quake in your web browser, complete with Trent Reznor Soundtrack:

http://webquake.quaddicted.com/Client/index.htm

Just remember to open up the terminal and type in: +mlook
As well as: GL_TEXTUREMODE GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST

Adnor

Banned
Is this one of the few games where the adverts were right? Because Quake is arguably the most important PC game ever.

GUN-NAC

I'll second the recommendation. Just picked through a number of source ports, having not actually played Quake in a few years now, and Quakespasm seems like the closest thing there is to a Chocolate Quake. Could use a few more options in the in-game UI to turn off stuff like texture filtering and animation interpolation, but config files still work.

If you're after a 'vanilla' source port UQE-Quake is another good alternative. The same goes for his Hexen II port.

download under resources at http://www.jacqueskrige.com

Spectone

I remember playing Quake online one night and connected to some random server and it starts to download all this stuff. When I got into the game it was an early version of Team Fortress playing assassinate the president. I played TF for years after that.

I really want
a) a Doom source port that is essentially the same as the 360 version control wise
b) a Quake source port with decent controller support

Sacrilege, I know, but I like playing on my couch these days.

Ilmyr

Quake 20 years old, N64 20 years old... those threads. You make me feel old. Those were good times. If i could turn back time, i would...

I think Strafe(?) by Devolver may be your thing. Looks great!

Also looking forward to this one. I hope they can for once nail the level design and strategic enemy placement elements id games and their ilk had mastered for maximum fun. I don't want an empty nostalgic graphics trip. The previews look really promising however.

Installed Quake 1 with CD Audio and DarkPlaces engine last night. Blitzed through E1 on Normal. So good.. That Low Gravity level was such a blast.

One problem with Dark Places was that while Lighting at FULL was pretty good in some places (lava etc.) it really went wacko in too many places to be practical, so I went down to High instead. That looks a lot more like the Quake I remember anyway.

I wonder if there are any multiplayer communities still going.

Ixion

Also looking forward to this one. I hope they can for once nail the level design and strategic enemy placement elements id games and their ilk had mastered for maximum fun. I don't want an empty nostalgic graphics trip. The previews look really promising however.

Strafe uses procedurally generated levels, so I doubt the design and enemy placement will be very masterful.

Wonko_C

I really want
a) a Doom source port that is essentially the same as the 360 version control wise
b) a Quake source port with decent controller support

Sacrilege, I know, but I like playing on my couch these days.

a)GZDoom
b)Darkplaces

You can use an Xinput controller and they're fully customizable.

Mr. Tibbs

ClbUVKqWgAAlE4Y.jpg

naitosan

I use DirectQ for Quake but with GL_TEXTUREMODE GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST, model texture still look like filter is still on, making it a bit blurry. Is it a bug?

It didn't happen with Darkplaces or Quakespasm.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Rocket Arena is the best thing to ever happen to quake. Easily the most competitive and fun variant. Level playing field for the win.

OchreHand

Rocket Arena is the best thing to ever happen to quake. Easily the most competitive and fun variant. Level playing field for the win.

Yep! I spent an ungodly amount of hours playing RA in Quake 2 and 3. Maps like DM6, Warehouse, the Edge will forever be burned in my memory

Strafe uses procedurally generated levels, so I doubt the design and enemy placement will be very masterful.

Oh lord, yeah I'm out haha. Don't know how I overlooked that but you throw the word 'procedural' in anything and I'm not even going to bother based on experience. Nice try though.

Wow, time flies! I graduated high school that month. Lol Sadly I didn't have a computer capable of running quake at a good rate for many years. Probably not until around the release of Q3.

Wow, time flies! I graduated high school that month. Lol Sadly I didn't have a computer capable of running quake at a good rate for many years. Probably not until around the release of Q3.

Same here. My friend bought a new PC and sold me his old one, but it wouldn't run Quake or Diablo. I sold it and didn't have a PC again until around the release of Quake III and Unreal Tournament. I feel like missing those first years of Quake and Quake II kept me from getting into the games as much as I would have. I never played Q1 or Q2 online because there was Q3 and UT, and never played any of the mods for them either.

Top Bottom