• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qualcomm in talks with Nintendo and Sony for powering their next handheld consoles.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Of course, being "in talks" only means that Qualcomm and others (such as AMD, Samsung or others) will propose their solutions, not that their offer will be the chosen one for either console.

Cerny did say he looked at ARM solutions back in ~2010 for the PS4, and he might have done the same for the PS5 (though unlikely because of how much weight they put into BC this time). I wonder if Qualcomm was already interested at that time.

Another interesting news is that Sony might actually be looking into making a handheld console.

Ozriel

M$FT
Of course, being "in talks" only means that Qualcomm and others (such as AMD, Samsung or others) will propose their solutions, not that their offer will be the chosen one for either console.

Cerny did say he looked at ARM solutions back in ~2010 for the PS4, and he might have done the same for the PS5 (though unlikely because of how much weight they put into BC this time). I wonder if Qualcomm was already interested at that time.

Another interesting news is that Sony might actually be looking into making a handheld console.

It could easily be Project Q or similar streaming devices. Even the Logitech Cloud device has a Qualcomm Chipset. Doesn’t have to be a handheld native gaming device.

Nintendo is most certainly sticking to NVIDiA for their next console.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Ruh roh. Really hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to give up on the hybrid handheld concept or backward compatibility. Would be really really dumb.

Also Qualcomm is really not that great. If you don't need all the radios and cell phone specific hardware out there, they don't feel like the best choice. Apple is out there killing them with their new chips and I don't doubt nVidia could do the same if they wanted to.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ruh roh. Really hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to give up on the hybrid handheld concept or backward compatibility. Would be really really dumb.

Also Qualcomm is really not that great. If you don't need all the radios and cell phone specific hardware out there, they don't feel like the best choice. Apple is out there killing them with their new chips and I don't doubt nVidia could do the same if they wanted to.
The new round of Qualcomm SOCs are quite good, and unlike Nvidia they've been building and selling these chips for these devices for a long time. It's an ARM chip and I really don't see why they couldnt make it BC with another ARM chip.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The new round of Qualcomm SOCs are quite good, and unlike Nvidia they've been building and selling these chips for these devices for a long time. It's an ARM chip and I really don't see why they couldnt make it BC with another ARM chip.
The GPU side would likely be the problem there. Even if they stick with nVidia it would likely need a little special consideration to maintain compatibility.

I guess everyone talks about possibilities with partners all the time. Were is r&d going, what can they expect to be available in x years, what might they want from them to focus on.
I would assume Sony, Nintendo and MS also talk with IBM now and then too.

I Master l

Banned

Qualcomm chips are smaller in size compared to apple they are actually more efficient

Ozriel

M$FT
Project Q is coming this year so the hardware is a done deal at this point. There's no need to have talks about it.

Read the articles. No mention was made of when the talks happened. Could have been years ago. Could have been yesterday.

The trustedreview article linked above also speculates it’s the Project Q for Sony, and that seems the most likely guess.

Buggy Loop

Qualcomm Snapdragon in the Quest 3 will be powerful enough that it should give switch 2 a run for its money with roughly a PS4 power in a more efficient chip than Apple and with AI and ray tracing capabilities.

I still think Nvidia would have a better solution, we don’t know what they are cooking up for Nintendo and likely Shield 2

It could easily be Project Q or similar streaming devices. Even the Logitech Cloud device has a Qualcomm Chipset. Doesn’t have to be a handheld native gaming device.

Nintendo is most certainly sticking to NVIDiA for their next console.

The Logitech Cloud can still play games natively if I'm not wrong.

I don't think Project Q will play games natively so it doesn't require powerful hardware. I believe its more important for it to have features like solid WiFi or 5G than anything else given its purpose.

Last edited:

digdug2

Just remember, there could still be a new iteration of the Switch right around the corner. The beginning of PS5's development started in 2013-2014, when PS4 was still in its infancy. So, it's quite plausible that Nintendo could very well be working on securing the deal for a new chipset for Switch generation 3.

Ozriel

M$FT
The Logitech Cloud can still play games natively if I'm not wrong.

I don't think Project Q will play games natively so it doesn't require powerful hardware. I believe its more important for it to have features like solid WiFi or 5G than anything else given its purpose.

It still needs to run an OS, and will still have RAM etc.

Just remember, there could still be a new iteration of the Switch right around the corner. The beginning of PS5's development started in 2013-2014, when PS4 was still in its infancy. So, it's quite plausible that Nintendo could very well be working on securing the deal for a new chipset for Switch generation 3.

They’d certainly go with NVIDiA for the next gen Switch

Can’t imagine Nintendo would depart from Nvidia unless they are getting bent over for their chips. Seems more like a ploy to get Nvidia to be more price competitive now that Nintendo has demonstrated they can sell 100m+ units.

Who the hell knows what Sony is aiming to do in the handheld space.

It still needs to run an OS, and will still have RAM etc.

Of course but nothing on the level of a dedicated gaming device device. Just saying that if its only purpose is for streaming then it doesn't need much. Which could bode well for its price.

Anyways my point about the Logitech device is that while its designed for streaming its capable of playing games natively. Something that I'm not expecting for Project Q.

Last edited:

digdug2

Yeah, that's why I said Switch generation 3. I'm sure Switch 2 is probably ready to go (if they are shopping for a chipset, then it wouldn't be right around the corner).

The mobile aspect of the Switch sure is a success factor. Nintendo is basically left alone in that specific market, and it's still a big pie apparently a lot of business people didn't expect to even exist anymore at this point in time. Maybe Sony is evaluating the possibilities of re-entering this market in the future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Qualcomm just bought the core team that spun off from Apple Silicon engineering and with Adreno they have a very powerful solution…

Still, if you change… go AMD SoC…

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
And here I thought Nintendo used PhysX for their games.

Turns out they use Havok (which Microsoft acquired some years ago)

It's unlikely they'll move to Qualcoom though.

TrebleShot

So I think this will lead to the PS6 and I’m serious.

I think they will
Have a hybrid console just like the switch, steam deck and other portable PC consoles.

It will have a nice dock that boosts performance for local play probably more than the switch does more akin to a sleek External GPU dock that the ally has.

Could be absolutely incredible as a device.

tkscz

Nintendo still has a contract with nVidia until 2027, but with their recent snafu with samsung I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pulled a Nintendo like they did with Sony back in the day. I'd still assume Nintendo is sticking with nVidia for now but had to push back next gen with Atlan being canned.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Read the articles. No mention was made of when the talks happened. Could have been years ago. Could have been yesterday.

The trustedreview article linked above also speculates it’s the Project Q for Sony, and that seems the most likely guess.

If trustedreview mentioned project Q as a possible result for this cooperation they're wrong.
Q is releasing this year and the hardware is done. At this point Sony is either developing the production lines or production started already.

There's not even any need to involve Qualcomm in project Q, as it won't have an expensive SoC. Qualcomm specializes in celular modems and high performance SoC and the Q won't have any of that.

The PSVR PU used a cheap SoC from Marvell, and the Q will probably follow up with something similar from Marvell or Broadcom.

Top Bottom