• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quality video game news sources?

Skyn3t

Banned
I have some hard time with finding some really interesting news outside of GAF and Era (which requires digging through tons of shit). Assuming that Twitter is a huge waste of time, same as major video game sites like IGN, GameSpot, Polygon, are there sites you follow, would recommend?

Vawn

Banned
Are you looking for a site without a political agenda? That's become almost impossible lately and its annoying as hell.

If you just care about finding out gaming news any of those sites works. Just try to ignore them being more concerned about making them think like you do than just talking about gaming.

Skyn3t

Banned
I don't care about politics, but the thing is that all the major players are like the extension of PR units of publisher. They have nothing interesting to say, don't break any news (except maybe Jason Schreier from Kotaku, who gives some legit leaks from time time) and are plain awful with their pulp of worthless content (oh hai, IGN).

Skyn3t

Banned
The Know is pretty good, but I can't stand that "today's episode is sponsored by..." before every episode.

Skyn3t

Banned
Eurogamer? Not after they attacked Steam for letting their consumers decide for themselves, in the end standing pro censorship of Steam's catalogue.

RavageX

It seems near impossible these days. Doesn't ever seem to be cut and dry, someone feels like they should be trying to win some sort of award for sharing their thoughts on things not related to gaming in gaming articles.

Then the ridiculous number of pure opinion articles that are just wastes of space.

Skyn3t

Banned
My little research shows that the gaming sections of Windows Central and WCCFtech are quite nice, fast and without bullshit. Those two and GAF for me at the moment.

NahaNago

You rarely get that investigative news stuff from gaming news sites. Most likely due to lack of staff. Could you imagine a news crew that is only focused at the location of Naught Dog or 343 industries.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It's an industry that relies on PR access from the companies they cover and they use political agendas to attract an audience as they become more irrelevant.

Airola

Easy Allies are mostly apolitical, which I like.

This.

No "alt right" bullshit. No liberal progressive bullshit.

I guess Ian is the one who is most openly something in some direction as he kinda is the "progressive male feminist" guy there but he feels like he would have no issue to share space with a conservative person and I don't think a conservative person would have any issues sharing space with him either. They are all super likeable people and I think I haven't heard a single political rant about anything from anyone there.

It's only video content from them though, so no news articles to read from them. And they don't cover all and everything about video games either so as a news source they might not be the best place to go to.

But for video content they are the best and the most interesting team around.

Skyn3t

Banned
Gosh, I miss GameTrailers. I know that the staff formed Easy Allies, but it's not the same. Loved GT.

NahaNago

This.

No "alt right" bullshit. No liberal progressive bullshit.

I guess Ian is the one who is most openly something in some direction as he kinda is the "progressive male feminist" guy there but he feels like he would have no issue to share space with a conservative person and I don't think a conservative person would have any issues sharing space with him either. They are all super likeable people and I think I haven't heard a single political rant about anything from anyone there.

It's only video content from them though, so no news articles to read from them. And they don't cover all and everything about video games either so as a news source they might not be the best place to go to.

But for video content they are the best and the most interesting team around.

I really wish Easy Allies was more of a news show. I kinda like their personalities and think it would work great when presenting news. I also wish they had more smaller videos period.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I've recently started reading DualShockers. I find them alright and there doesn't seem to be any obvious political stuff to wade through. I read Niche Gamer as well but it has a lot of politics in the comments. I like Yong Yea, too.

I've left most sites due to the push for censorship or just generally demeaning commentary on games or gamers themselves. I'll have to check out some of the suggestions here so I can branch out of only being on forums!

Isa

I tend to frequent Gematsu and Siliconera for my news, and forums for occasional stories missed by the stuff the former cover. I occasionally watch the game informer vidcasts or special features on exclusive coverage if a title interests me. Also Censored Gaming on YT because that is important to me. I'm tired of most "newer" outlets be they actual sites or YT channels jumping on hype/hate bandwagons, largely just to fill time on daily shows during slow news days. I know outrage is a fairly reliable click-bait tactic, but I'm sick of the way the community is acting. Not the average joe mind you, but the self-righteous "journalists" that try to turn everything into some huge scandal. I'm just here to chew bubblegum and play games.

* Also maybe check out EPNdotTV, Electric Playground's daily rundown show that covers news in general, Gamecross is a bit preachy and PS4 focused, but decent for seeing some video of new stuff.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I watch Laymen Gaming, very sensible attitudes. Don’t see much bias either way.

Sacred Symbols podcast from Colin Moriarty and Chris Ray Gun is what I listen to for PlayStation stuff though.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eurogamer, Polygon and Kotaku are great in my opinion. Also VG247 and Game Informer.

You literally named the worst places (outside of Waypoint) for your first three. They are horrible and push false narratives, as well as demonize their audience.

@OP

I highly suggest Gematsu and Siliconera. Devoid of shitty politics and false narratives. Gets to the heart of what gaming journalism should be: the games.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I haven't listened to it recently but I always thought the Giant Bombcast(the westcoast office podcast) seemed to avoid wading into politics while running through impressions of recent games and news.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It depends on what kind of news you want. If you want announcements and light editorial work, Gematsu and Siliconera are in my regular rotation.

VG247 are fucking dreadful. I mean beyond worthless.

I use N4g.com. It's a site that provides links to different stories from different sites. Click on what interests you, ignore what doesn't.

Rayderism

I've always found it better to read many reviews, as opposed to only one or two. Say for instance Metacritic or GameFAQs's review collections. And I always read the lowest scored review first and work my up from there. I've found that usually gives me the best idea of a game's worth according to my tastes.

I know what you mean. I have no interest in politics and just want videogames news.

I like n4g.com (even though they're really biased towards Sony) and also attackofthefanboy.com has news.

klosos

I find gamepro are very good , however its german website so you will need to google translate to read if not a native german speaker. it seems not to play politics and is very impartial when it comes to reporting

Last edited:

e0n

It depends on what you value between information and entertainment.

I usually prefer purely informational gaming news so I would recommend:

GameInformer - This is probably the best mainstream gaming site that solely covers games. Any mainstream site like IGN gets exclusive content, but GI tends to have more in-depth coverage of AAA games. It's not as frequently updated though and doesn't really cover niche games.
Gamasutra - Focused on gaming industry trends or development. It's worth it if you like reading interviews with developers or analysis articles. Also a place where you can find people in the industry make comments.
r/Games - Content aggregator with comments. Gets the highlights.
allgamesdelta - A very simple list of game announcements. No commentary needed.

Destructoid seems to be a good gaming website. Any thoughts about it?

Destructoid would be what I would recommend, it's a fine way to keep abreast of gaming news without any political agendas being shoved down your throat.

I've been a Destructoid reader since spring 2007, the late 00s were an absolutely joy for the website, it was so much fun to read back then, it just had this really fun vibe to everything.

That heyday is long gone but it still remains a fine website that never overdosed on the politics, even during the peak of Gamergate they tried to have a fair minded approach.

also fyi Destructoid was where the infamous Anthony Burch got his start, but back when he wrote for them, before he joined Gearbox, he was actually a very good writer, I considered myself an actual fan of his, but then 2010s left wing politics rotted his brain and now he's synonymous with the terms numale and cuck, it was sad to see.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I watch Laymen Gaming, very sensible attitudes. Don’t see much bias either way.

Sacred Symbols podcast from Colin Moriarty and Chris Ray Gun is what I listen to for PlayStation stuff though.
I can't stand the 5 minute sales pitch at the start of the show.

bitbydeath

I use N4g.com. It's a site that provides links to different stories from different sites. Click on what interests you, ignore what doesn't.

Same, the comments section though is horrendous.
Also would be a lot better if I could filter out just the 'Opinion' articles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom